2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Rich,

I think the premise of your business, that your rebuilt Steinways are superior to new Steinways while costing less, gets in the way of your good judgment, namely, asking us to believe that your historical endeavors and doubtful rendering of Steinway’s business prospects and practices has nothing to do with the fact that every time Steinway sells a new piano in your area you have to bite another chunk off one of your rebuilds.

Mike

Rickster,

I wouldn't deny that Rich has class. He's even invited me to lunch(no doubt reconsidered). He rolls with the punches and unless I'm mistaken doesn't run to the moderators everytime someone pulls his covers. I like that. I don't share the infatuation of his admirers who characterize me as constantly throwing holy water on Rich while repeating, "the blood of the martyrs commands you, the blood of the martyrs compels you . . ."

Mike (Dami, Why you do this to me?)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
"...Unless the moderators or Frank removes/deletes a thread/post it remains on the internet forever..."

Seems I have read that anything that goes up on the web is permanently archived, independently of the will of its posters, and regardless of whether it is eventually removed by the people who put it up.

Even so, 'forever' is probably either an exaggeration, naked hubris, or an excess of optimism.

How about “figure of speech”… Maybe I should have said forever and a day… grin

Sorry you didn’t get my point; in other words, be careful what you say/write on the Internet in general and on Piano World in particular.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I don't have an axe to grind here. I don't own a Steinway. I am most unlikely to be in the market for a Steinway, or indeed for a piano of any kind. Nevertheless I find this an interesting discussion, and Steinway's leading position in the market is obviously a subject of considerable interest.

However, when I read a statement like

Originally Posted by Mike Carr
The better question is when Steinway finally falls apart who’s going to take their place? I vote for the Cunningham piano or Hailun.

I find myself seriously unimpressed by the supposed sarcasm. And when I read a further statement like

Originally Posted by Mike Carr
Many Steinway rebuilders are obsessed with badmouthing Steinway, maybe they wish they were Steinway. But they’re not. I don’t know if their obsession is treatable, but it probably isn’t.

when I have certainly seen no "obsession with badmouthing Steinway" in this thread, I can't help feeling that the "badmouthing" is perhaps coming from another source.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
You asked "Isn't Steinway the One to beat?"

The top pianos of the day are made by Fazioli (Italy) and Bösendorfer (Austria). By any measure, these are the ones to beat. (Not coincidentally, they're also the most expensive.)

Also very good are the Shigeru Kawai, the Yamaha "S" and "CF" series, Bechstein, Grotrian, Sauter, Steingraeber & Söhne, and Blunther. If you're not hung up on a particular brand, you will find pianos from these makers as good as anything else out there.

Take a look at what Larry Fine, for example, rates as Tier 1 for "performance pianos." According to his last guide, US Made Steinways are second-tier (though he says they are improving). Also see comments from George Kolasis who likes the Shigeru Kawai.

You'll find little significant difference between the Steinway stencils from other pianos in the same price range from the same manufacturers sold under different brand names. In fact, you may prefer the "Kawai" brand Kawais. And though not made by Yamaha, you'd be cheating yourself if you didn't try the Yamaha "C" series if you were considering a "Boston."

If you want to see, feel, and hear what a no-holds-barred piano sounds and plays like, visit a Fazioli or Bösendorfer dealer.

Last edited by Thrill Science; 03/11/12 07:49 PM.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
"By any measure" huh?

I hope you got a thrill our of that post because there sure wasn't any science. laugh

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
S
OP Offline
S
This has been a very interesting thread to read...I understand now that I poorly worded my original post's title (credit goes to turnadot), but I've enjoyed the perspectives shared. I am certainly not well versed in the broad world of pianos, and am only slightly familiar with certain brands. I have read Fine and I see that a handful of exceptional European pianos take top rank....I suppose I always thought of Steinway and Sons in the top tier as well, and I think of S&S as an American Icon of sorts. And, OK, I do like the Steinway sound. I've enjoyed playing and hearing the Boston grands as well, whose smallest grand has taken a place in my heart. The folks at my "local" Steinway gallery have been just wonderful and truly educative on various fronts. It seems that the Steinway debate is long-standing and lively, and I have no intention of joining it; I really was trying to solicit genuine thoughts and information on the Steinway-designed Boston vs. other pianos in its class. We are in the midst of our journey...it's a thrilling ride. Thx!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission