Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1860111 - 03/11/12 08:40 PM Ax Recital - wonderful!
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I just got home. PianogrlNW joined me for a wonderful recital by Emmanuel Ax this afternoon.

Manny popped out on stage, gave a boyish grin and started. He seems to be so genuinely NICE.

The first half:
Aaron Copland - Piano Variations. Nice playing but I didn't particularly like the piece. It sounded like something Copland might have composed for composition class in school.

Haydn Andante with Variations in F minor Hob XVII/6 - Delicate, clear and divine!

Beethoven Variations and Fugue E flat major - Eroica Opus 35. Also divine.

Second half:
Schumann Symphonic Etudes - my gosh, Manny made it sound so beautiful and EASY! The time just flew. He added 3 additional variations that I don't have in my Henle unless they are the ones in the back of the book. I would give my eye teeth to be able to play this piece. His performance was riveting.

First encore: Debussy, Pagodes.
Second encore: Liszt, Valse Oubliee #1

Throughout, Manny produced the most marvelous colors from that piano. So beautiful. I'm floating!

Deborah

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1860123 - 03/11/12 08:56 PM Re: Ax Recital - wonderful! [Re: gooddog]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Very cool.
I had the privilege of attending a performance in 2010 of Brahms' 2nd piano concerto. It was wonderful. He's a fantastic performer - the embodiment of music making without smokes & mirrors. He is proof that no fluff is needed for classical music to still be intriguing and exhilarating.
I've mostly heard him in the B-realm though (i.e. Bach, Beethoven, Brahms) so it's nice to see the Copland on the program.

Wish I could have been there!

-Daniel

#1860127 - 03/11/12 08:58 PM Re: Ax Recital - wonderful! [Re: gooddog]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
"Manny"?

#1860134 - 03/11/12 09:07 PM Re: Ax Recital - wonderful! [Re: gooddog]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
I've heard him quite a few times and he's never disappointed. I'd love to hear him with the Haydn variations and the Eroica variations. And he IS a genuinely nice guy.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1860143 - 03/11/12 09:20 PM Re: Ax Recital - wonderful! [Re: BruceD]
PianogrlNW Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: BruceD
"Manny"?

Yup - he's Manny to people in the know. Thanks Deborah for a wonderful afternoon, having a piano-filled conversation, and hearing about the Victoria Music Academy summer piano retreat.

#1860148 - 03/11/12 09:32 PM Re: Ax Recital - wonderful! [Re: gooddog]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: gooddog

Schumann Symphonic Etudes - my gosh, Manny made it sound so beautiful and EASY! The time just flew. He added 3 additional variations that I don't have in my Henle unless they are the ones in the back of the book.

Awesome, Deborah. Glad you had so much fun, and thanks for reporting!

Wonder why Mr. Ax didn't play all five of the posthumous variations. (All or nothing? laugh ) Obviously he had his reasons, but it has always been problematic in just where to insert those delectable outcasts. There will never be any ideal solution short of taking Schumann's ultimate word and not including them at all!

Those glorious illegitimate creatures will always haunt us. But to include them simply makes a mockery of Schumann's overall design as he published it, and I don't think the Op 13 has ever gained from their inclusion. It tends to run too long with them, as I think Schumann understood.

A shame: I LOVE those extra variations -such glorious music indeed!- but they are doomed. They do not belong in the Op 13 unless you think Schumann was wrong.

He wasn't.

#1860151 - 03/11/12 09:35 PM Re: Ax Recital - wonderful! [Re: gooddog]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Aaron Copland - Piano Variations. Nice playing but I didn't particularly like the piece. It sounded like something Copland might have composed for composition class in school.

A challenging work for the listener - but an extremely rewarding piece for the performer. I performed it on my Master's recital (my teacher had me learn it without his help) and I also wrote an in depth evaluation of it as a "mini" thesis. Copland premiered the Piano Variations himself in 1930 (well after his student days). The piece initially met with some indifference - due in part to the initial difficulty that it presents to the listener and also, perhaps, to Copland's performance of it. At the second performance of the piece (again by Copland), the critic Virgil Thompson wrote "I find the music of them (the Variations) very beautiful, only I wish he wouldn't play it so loudly. One hears it better unforced. I miss in his playing of it the singing of a certain small voice that seems to me to be clearly implied on the written page."

I think it is interesting that "Manny" opened his program with the Piano Variations. Would have loved to been there !!!!

#1860157 - 03/11/12 09:46 PM Re: Ax Recital - wonderful! [Re: argerichfan]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: argerichfan

Schumann Symphonic Etudes - my gosh, Manny made it sound so beautiful and EASY! The time just flew. He added 3 additional variations that I don't have in my Henle unless they are the ones in the back of the book.

Awesome, Deborah. Glad you had so much fun, and thanks for reporting!

Wonder why Mr. Ax didn't play all five of the posthumous variations. (All or nothing? laugh ) Obviously he had his reasons, but it has always been problematic in just where to insert those delectable outcasts. There will never be any ideal solution short of taking Schumann's ultimate word and not including them at all!

Those glorious illegitimate creatures will always haunt us. But to include them simply makes a mockery of Schumann's overall design as he published it, and I don't think the Op 13 has ever gained from their inclusion. It tends to run too long with them, as I think Schumann understood.

A shame: I LOVE those extra variations -such glorious music indeed!- but they are doomed. They do not belong in the Op 13 unless you think Schumann was wrong.

He wasn't.

I think Schumann made the right choice. He may not have included the extra variations in the final version because he either felt they weren't up to snuff or they were redundant. When I learned the Opus 13 I seriously considered adding some of the posthumous five but ultimately decided to go with Schumann's final word. In retrospect, I'm glad I did.

#1860205 - 03/11/12 11:20 PM Re: Ax Recital - wonderful! [Re: carey]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: carey

I think Schumann made the right choice. He may not have included the extra variations in the final version because he either felt they weren't up to snuff or they were redundant. When I learned the Opus 13 I seriously considered adding some of the posthumous five but ultimately decided to go with Schumann's final word. In retrospect, I'm glad I did.

When I performed the Schumann -my last hurrah before I switched to organ and church music- I didn't include any of the extra variations.

#1860219 - 03/11/12 11:57 PM Re: Ax Recital - wonderful! [Re: gooddog]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I heard him do an all-Schubert recital and it was unbelievable!! He's a fantastic pianist.

#1860420 - 03/12/12 11:31 AM Re: Ax Recital - wonderful! [Re: Orange Soda King]
Svengali Offline

Loc: South-Africa
I like the idea of a 'themed' recital (pun intended).
I often think along the same lines when considering programmes.
Ax's own cadenza to the second movement of Haydn's G majot concerto on his recording remains in my opinion one of the most beautiful.

#1861036 - 03/13/12 12:04 PM Re: Ax Recital - wonderful! [Re: gooddog]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Here's the review from the Seattle Times. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thearts/2017727745_clr13ax.html
The warmth of Ax's playing has put me in a lasting good mood!

Deborah

#1861094 - 03/13/12 01:58 PM Re: Ax Recital - wonderful! [Re: gooddog]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Here's the review from the Seattle Times. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thearts/2017727745_clr13ax.html
The warmth of Ax's playing has put me in a lasting good mood!
I like this description of Ax's playing, "the Haydn was given an intimate, personal reading that reminded the listener why Ax has been called the least percussive of pianists. His touch is amazing. The keys are not so much struck as sighed upon... There is no sense of fingers or hammers or material mechanisms: the note simply materializes and floats in the air. I have no idea how he does it." It's right on.

I think "warmth" is also a great word to describe Ax's presence and sound.

-Daniel

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (AimeeO, a-z0-9, accordeur, 43 invisible), 1660 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75495 Members
42 Forums
156109 Topics
2292470 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
Today at 09:12 PM
Just Tried Brand New Mason and Hamlins....
by Paul678
Today at 09:10 PM
Broken Butt Plate - Replacement part?
by musicNow
Today at 08:24 PM
Liszt's letters to Jessie Laussot
by Michael Sayers
Today at 07:59 PM
Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig?
by Tony Romo
Today at 07:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission