2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1859190 03/10/12 12:13 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I need advice-- what is the lowest I could offer on a used 5 year old Petrof P131E1 upright (mahogany, excellent condition) that wouldn't just insult the seller? So a low offer, but realistic.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
If you are looking to buy a piano, this will help you a lot: http://www.pianobuyer.com/

You can look up current prices, and then come up with what you think is an appropriate offer. It's hard to say what that would be, exactly, without seeing the piano. In a good economic climate, the general rule would be 74% (for a five year old piano) of the new price. In this instance that would mean a fair market price of about 15,000USD. If I was selling this piano and someone offered me less than 10,000USD I'd probably be insulted. However, these are tough times, and many people are desperate to get rid of their pianos.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Fun thread title. I thought you wanted to know the lowest standard of acceptable forum behavior grin

Assuming this is private party one-owner, I'd guess the buyer in 2007 paid around 10 - 11k for one of these, maybe a bit more with the wood finish. This was low tide for Petrof prices because of a legal mess and cancelling dealers. It was before PEtrof instituted mammoth price increases. On that basis I'd bid 7 - 7.5 adn give ground grudgingly if I really liked it and it checked out on inspection.

If the seller screams that he paid 18k, just ask to see the recept.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by beethoven986

If I was selling this piano and someone offered me less than 10,000USD I'd probably be insulted.

I never knew you were so sensitive!

To OP, if you want to negotiate, but are concerned with insulting the seller, just ask them what their absolute bottom line price is to sell it to you right now. Make sure you mean it and that if they offer it at a price you are comfortable with, you buy it then and there. It they don't change their price or if they don't go to a price you can accept, both parties can move on!

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
D
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
D
Never show up at a piano fight with out your check book.

Or Cash ... might be better.

And a moving truck.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Originally Posted by beethoven986

If I was selling this piano and someone offered me less than 10,000USD I'd probably be insulted.

I never knew you were so sensitive!

To OP, if you want to negotiate, but are concerned with insulting the seller, just ask them what their absolute bottom line price is to sell it to you right now. Make sure you mean it and that if they offer it at a price you are comfortable with, you buy it then and there. It they don't change their price or if they don't go to a price you can accept, both parties can move on!

Haha. Well I did say probably, not definitely. From a purly academic standpoint, taking a 50% hit after five years of ownership would probably sting. But at the same time, if it was between that and missing a mortgage payment, well, it's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

P
OP Offline
P
I definitely have stars in my eyes for this piano. Not able to make an appt to see it until next week though, will keep you posted!

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
No offer you make should insult anyone. This isn't friendship, it's trade.

Consider stating that, in light of your family's budget, you don't believe you'd be able to pay more than $xxx. Then see what happens.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
No offer you make should insult anyone. This isn't friendship, it's trade.

Consider stating that, in light of your family's budget, you don't believe you'd be able to pay more than $xxx. Then see what happens.

Yes, that's about it.

What someone paid for the piano may influence what they think they can get for it on resale, but the wider market doesn't really care what they paid. If someone happens to pay full retail, while the person next to them paid 40% off for the same piano, my willingness to pay to buy the former is no higher than my willingness to pay for the latter, other things equal.

The fact that they might be able to document having paid a certain price shouldn't have much effect on your own willingness to pay, given that you may have other alternatives and a certain bottom line of your own. Not all deals are possible. Be prepared to walk away. If you truly have stars in your eyes, you will find yourself paying for those stars.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pipianajones
I definitely have stars in my eyes for this piano. Not able to make an appt to see it until next week though, will keep you posted!

Get a grip. The stars should only come out and shine AFTER you've seen and played the piano. Don't convince yourself that you're going to like it.

I still have the same opinion on the price opener. If everything is to your satisfaction, open at 7k contingent on a technical inspection (that you will pay for). If the seller fusses and fumes, ask to see the original receipt.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by turandot
Get a grip. The stars should only come out and shine AFTER you've seen and played the piano. Don't convince yourself that you're going to like it.

And, after you're away from the seller. Gushing over the thing in front of the person selling it will probably work against you when negotiating.

B
B
Originally Posted by pipianajones

pipianajones, What happened with this piano? Did you ever go see it?

The only thing preventing me from owning a Steinway & Sons produced piano, is Steinway & Sons Customer Service. They should work on that.

Fortunately the piano I want the most is sold by Steinway & Sons!
Unfortunately the piano I want the most is only sold by Steinway & Sons.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think Dave B nailed it. Show up with your checkbook or cash in hand. Although I haven't bought a piano from a private seller in many years, cash in my pocket got me a great deal on many other things we've purchased. A seller will generally take a lower offer if he/she can make the sale then and there.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
I offered $6000 on the P131 and he declined. That was my outside figure, so that piano is off the table for me.

Another seller is asking $5500 for a 12 year old P125 Petrof. I spoke with a guy from Petrof in California and he said he thought that was WAY too high, that he would expect to see more like $3500 on that piano.

Can anyone knowledgable about Petrof prices help me make a decision on the 125?

M
M
There are a few Petrof 125's listed on Pianomart and eBay of similar age (or newer) for between $5-6K, but that's listed price.

Petrof did undergo some drastic price increase a few years ago. A new P125 now lists for $12,500 (in CAD), whereas it could have been had for as little as $6000 back in 2000. That being the case, $5500 on a 2000 model P125 is way, way too high. The owner might be thinking that $5500 is reasonable considering a new one costs well over $10k, but that's not the price he paid for it back in 2000.

Reasonable price would be $3000-$3500, and probably on the lower end of that. I found the same 12-year old P125 you spoke of in good condition from a private seller around that price range and I bought it. It's a lovely sounding instrument and we love it.

M
M
I think pricing on used Petrof's is a bit tricky with that price increase. As a buyer, one would tend to look at the original purchase price. But as seller, one would be more inclined to look at the current new price. I'm not sure how one can reconcile that. The two prices are too far apart.

Question for dealers: Which way should it be?

I was fortunate in that the seller only considered his original purchase price, which he stated was just over $5k. Thus a resale price of about 60% of that was deemed reasonable by him.

Last edited by mcours2006; 04/12/12 09:38 AM.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission