Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1861657 - 03/14/12 11:00 AM CP5 as a primary home piano? +second hand purchase questions
pianisimo1 Offline

Hi
So I played again on the CP5. The piano sound is amazing, and the action is pretty good also.
The only thing hindering me from purchasing is the action. I liked the keys, but I'm afraid that the fact that it's considered light, and not graded, will lead me to develop poor skills. Means that it will be hard for me to play on a grand, or any acoustic piano that has heavy keys. Your opinion?

I know that there are few CP5 owners here, but as I see none of them use the CP5 as their primary DP, for practise at home.
The user Dave Horne for example, has a CP5, but he owns an AvantGrand too, so I assume he rather practise on the N then the CP5, which he uses probably just for giging.

Unlike many people here, I can't effort many keyboards. I'm looking for something to be my sole piano.
MY QUESTION IS, would you recommend the CP5 as a primary home keyboard? Do you think I might face a serious problem when I'll try to play on a real piano?

another thing.
I might get a second-hand CP5 for ~1500$ (maybe even less).
What should I check when buying a second hand, and specifically this model? should I just bring headphones play some and check that keys are ok? assuming that the keyboard appearance is fine of course, and isn't beaten up or something..

Edited by pianisimo1 (03/14/12 11:03 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1861672 - 03/14/12 11:30 AM Re: CP5 as a primary home piano? +second hand purchase questions [Re: pianisimo1]
andi85 Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi Pianisimo,

I do have my CP5 at home and use it as my primary instrument. I'm satisfied and I haven't encountered any troubles beyond the usual adjustment that's necessary to every given keyboard.

I don't think that the rather light action of the CP5 is a problem in itself, as acoustic piano keybeds vary quite a bit. Older pianos in particular may have a pretty light touch, and in fact I've played a few that felt as light or lighter than the CP5. If you had the chance to buy a beautiful old grand from the 1920s or so, you probably wouldn't be asking this question, right? laugh
Also, it's not that the CP5 action doesn't require force. In order to get to the upper end of the dynamic range, you have to slam it pretty hard, just like an acoustic. On the other hand it invites you to explore the lower end in a way that no Yamaha DP has ever done to me. So I don't think there's anything wrong with it – quite the contrary, I think the dynamic response is superior to most competitors.

As for the gradedness, I don't think that it really matters. It's a rather small detail that of course may contribute to the realism of a DP action, but I think it's not necessary.

Still, I'd recommend that you make use of every opportunity to practice on an acoustic. As you've probably noticed they require a somewhat different way of playing – a difference that isn't explained by a "lighter" or "heavier" action, it's something else.

Of course, and as always, YMMV on that. I for my part am convinced that every piano requires a little time and effort to get used to its particular action. In my opinion there's no problem with it if your practice instrument is within reasonable limits – and the CP5 certainly is.

If I had the chance to practice on an acoustic piano or a DP with an AP action, I'd prefer that, of course. The more "real thing" you can get, the better.

Edited by andi85 (03/14/12 11:33 AM)

Andreas

#1861711 - 03/14/12 12:40 PM Re: CP5 as a primary home piano? +second hand purchase questions [Re: pianisimo1]
motifmm6 Offline

The light action is quite a common complaint as many people still prefer the heavier GH or GH3 action. But it is a matter of getting used to it and personal preference. Acoustic pianos usually get lighter and lighter action after years of playing. I don't think it would affect practising or lead to poor skills.

#1861722 - 03/14/12 12:52 PM Re: CP5 as a primary home piano? +second hand purchase questions [Re: pianisimo1]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
The grading or lack of grading in a keyboard action is not a big deal and that wouldn't influence my decision. (As a matter of fact I'd prefer that the top octaves in a real grand piano not be as light as they are.)

The action of the CP5 is a light action. For jobs it's just fine, as a full time practice piano I'd prefer something with more weight, but that's just me.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1862029 - 03/14/12 07:52 PM Re: CP5 as a primary home piano? +second hand purchase questions [Re: pianisimo1]
andi85 Offline

BTW: As for the s/h purchase, I'd primarily check the action. Presumably it's the most sensitive component of the piano.

Andreas

#1862300 - 03/15/12 03:55 AM Re: CP5 as a primary home piano? +second hand purchase questions [Re: andi85]
Manolios Offline

Originally Posted By: andi85
Hi Pianisimo,

I don't think that the rather light action of the CP5 is a problem in itself, as acoustic piano keybeds vary quite a bit. Older pianos in particular may have a pretty light touch, and in fact I've played a few that felt as light or lighter than the CP5. If you had the chance to buy a beautiful old grand from the 1920s or so, you probably wouldn't be asking this question, right? laugh
Also, it's not that the CP5 action doesn't require force. In order to get to the upper end of the dynamic range, you have to slam it pretty hard, just like an acoustic. On the other hand it invites you to explore the lower end in a way that no Yamaha DP has ever done to me. So I don't think there's anything wrong with it – quite the contrary, I think the dynamic response is superior to most competitors.

As for the gradedness, I don't think that it really matters. It's a rather small detail that of course may contribute to the realism of a DP action, but I think it's not necessary.

Still, I'd recommend that you make use of every opportunity to practice on an acoustic. As you've probably noticed they require a somewhat different way of playing – a difference that isn't explained by a "lighter" or "heavier" action, it's something else.

+1

Kind regards,
Manolios

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (accordeur, *windowlicker*, 89grand, 36251, 49 invisible), 1229 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157098 Topics
2307155 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
Today at 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
Today at 04:40 PM
Who makes ribbon moulding?
by Craig Hair
Today at 03:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission