2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1861659 03/14/12 11:02 AM
E
Erikajo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
We're looking to buy a digital piano and have the opportunity to buy a Kawai CA1200 for $900. It’s supposedly in really good shape. We live in New Hampshire. Is this a good deal?

I used to play piano regularly and then I got married, had 4 children, and haven’t played in 10 years. I’d love to pick it back up, plus I want my kids to have the chance to learn if they want. I grew up playing piano on our Kawaii Digital (I’m not sure of the make/model, but it was purchased in the mid 90’s.) I loved it and I want something similar.

I don’t want a top of the line digital and there’s no way we could afford that anyways. I just want something that’s got more of a piano than keyboard feel to it and that sounds decent. Obviously I know a digital won't sound as nice as a regular piano, but that's ok. This is going to be a piano for practice and the kids learning.

We have a budget of about $1500 and thought we might get more bang for our buck if we could get a used piano from Craigslist than going new. That’s why we’re looking at the Kawai CA1200. I normally like to research things before buying anything, especially used, but it seems to be hard to find the value of digital pianos. I know “value” is a relative term and what people are willing to pay for it, but I’d like to at least get more of an idea.

Should I pay $900 for the Kawai CA 1200. I'm planning to see if they'd come down at all, but is that at least in the ballpark range?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

~Erika

B
B
How old is that model? You could maybe spend your $900 on something newer smile Especially since your budget is $1500...I'd definitely say buy something newer. Try going to Sweetwater and see if you like some of the models there. Or you could try MusiciansFriend or any other website, really.

E
Erikajo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I'm not positive, but the Kawai Manual online said 2001.

B
B
Hmm...I think you should try to find something newer for around the same price. Im sure you dont actually want to max out your budget but there is some good stuff out there that you could probably get for $900. Maybe the Yamaha P155?

I personally wouldnt pay $900 for something that old. I was 11 in 2001 smirk That was a LONG time ago lol

Maybe something like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/F120SB/

I actually liked the F110, the model before this one..but a lot of people here didnt like it.

Anyway, check Ebay! A lot of companies sell things on Ebay for a lot cheaper than they do on their websites. For example, I started buying from Buy.com's Ebay store over their webstore because things tend to be a lot cheaper on their Ebay store than on the website...probably because a lot of people dont shop around for bargains before they buy things.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
While the CA1200 was a very good digital piano when it launched, sound and keyboard action technology has moved on considerably in the past ten or so years.

$900 is a rather expensive price to pay for such an old instrument, therefore I would recommend purchasing a brand new model. The major manufacturers all produce entry/mid-level models that will be suitable for your needs (and budget), for example:

- Yamaha YDP-161
- Kawai CN23/CE220
- Roland RP-301/F-120
- Casio AP-220/AP-420

I would recommend visiting a few piano dealers and play-testing instruments within your budget to get a feel for what is available.

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission