2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 8 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
I'm pleased to say that Unsung Heroes Recital III is a go!

The recital date will be August 20, 2012. You are invited to submit your own mp3 recording of a piece by a composer who you feel deserves more recognition. This recital was established 3 years ago to commemorate the passing of Australian pianist, Geoffrey Tozer.

Once again, many thanks to our patron and tech wizard, gerg, whose generous donation of time, talent, and finances makes these recitals possible. You rock, gerg!

Please post the title of your piece here so I can maintain the list. I realize it's 5 months away, but it's never too early to start browsing scores. wink

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yes!!

I didn't do the Alkan Sonate de Concert 3rd movement last year (I'm sorry), so put it back on for this year.

M
M
Poems of the Sea - Bloch

What you are, you are by accident of birth; what I am, I am by myself. There are and will be a thousand princes; there is only one Beethoven.
-----Ludwig van Beethoven
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As always, I think this recital is a fantastic idea. I've stickied the topic and encourage all to participate!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Couldn't manage it last year, but I'm in this year! Pieces by Margaret Sutherland (Australian composer).

Du holde Kunst...
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Steve Chandler--"Consolation"

Steve is a PW member. His compositions that resonate with me remind me of a cross between Bach and Scriabin. They are, however, fully Chandler. grin

I might have a few more from VERY OBSCURE unsung heroes, too. Yes, that is a tease. smile

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I might look into contributing some Heller. smile Not sure exactly what yet, I'll find something and post again soon. laugh

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Great!!

I'll try to complete the set of Twelve Esquisses by Koechlin that I started last year. And who knows, there might be some other things, too.

H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Wow! What a great response in just a few hours. Thank you for the sticky, Kreisler. Perhaps you will submit your own recording this year?

Participants

Orange Soda King -- Sonate de Concert, III. (Alkan)
mingusmonk -- Poems of the Sea (Bloch)
currawong -- Margaret Sutherland
Cinnamonbear -- Consolation (Steve Chandler)
Jolteon -- Heller
wr -- Twelve Esquisses (Koechlin)
heidiv -- tbd

As a reminder, anyone is welcome to participate. Don't be shy, now! You're among friends. Recordings will be accepted starting about 2-4 weeks before the recital date. If you'd like to post any biographical info on your composer, feel free to post it here. We love those types of discussions!

Thanks,
Heidi

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Heidi and Greg.

Please put me down for:

1) Otto Nicolai, Etude in D flat "Gruss an Liszt" Op.40 No.3

2) York Bowen, Reverie d'Amour Op.20 No.2

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Well I've got quite a number of selections from American composers in the 1930 - 1960 era. To be specific:

Roy Harris American Ballads
Morton Gould Guaracha
William Flanagan Sonata
Paul Bowles El Bejuco and El Indio
Irving Fine Variations, from Music for Piano
Gail Kubik Sonatina
Vincent Persichetti Sonata No 5
Norman dello Joio Salute to Scarlatti, Nos 1, 2, and 4
Leo Smit Rondele

In addition, I'm thinking of recording

Quincy Porter Sonata
Ross Lee Finney Sonata, withdrawn, but subsequently revised as Sonata 3
Everett Helm Sonata Brevis

I've already recorded everything in the 1st set, but have never used the MP3 to share this. So you may see some of these or none of these, depending upon whether I get help in learning how to post.

H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Hi Mel! So nice to hear from you. I'll put you down for those. I'm hoping to contribute some of the great pieces that you introduced me to. wink

Tim Adrianson, wow! You have enough material there for your very own recital! Quite impressive. I'll put you down for the first set for now. What format did you use for your recordings? I'm sure we can help you figure out how to convert them to mp3.

Participants
Jolteon -- Heller
heidiv -- tbd
dannylux -- Otto Nicolai, Etude in D flat "Gruss an Liszt" Op. 40, No. 3; York Browne, Reverie d'Amour, Op. 20, No. 2
Tim Adrianson -- Roy Harris, American Ballads; Morton Gould, Guaracha; William Flanagan, Sonata; Paul Bowles, El Bejuco and El Indio; Irving Fine Variations, from Music for Piano; Gail Kubik, Sonatina; Vincent Persichetti, Sonata No. 5; Norman dello Joio, Salute to Scarlatti, No. 1, 2, and 4; Leo Smit, Rondele

Last edited by heidiv; 03/21/12 07:50 PM.
A
A
I might be doing Lekeu's violin sonata which is a brilliant work not given its due credit with the biggies like Franck, Faure, Debussy. I'll let you know if I am doing it in some time.

Schumann Carnaval, Op.9
Debussy Prelude Book 1, No.6 and No. 7
Bach WTC1 Prelude and Fugue No. 1 in C Major

This sounds very interesting.
Sechs Lieder ohne worte (Songs without words)- Mendelsson.

I haven't performed in ages!

H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Welcome to the forums, arpan70 and RandomPianist!

arpan70, that sounds interesting. I hope you are able to do it!

RandomPianist, while we don't like to quarrel about what constitutes an "unsung hero," I feel compelled to reply that Mendelssohn is a very mainstream composer. His "Songs Without Words" in particular are practically required repertoire. We would love to have you participate in the recital. In the spirit of the "Unsung Heroes" e-cital, could you choose a piece by an obscure composer?

Ah, oops seems I have rushed into things. Sure I would, I shall go and look up a piece very soon. Could you suggest any composers that are not 'mainstream'?

"Just practice diligently and you will do very well. You have five fingers on each hand just as healthy as mine."
~ J.S. Bach
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Heidi, I'm greatly looking forward to hearing your contributions to the Unsung Recital.

Please note that Reverie D'Amour is by York Bowen, not York Browne. Thanks.

Originally Posted by RandomPianist
Ah, oops seems I have rushed into things. Sure I would, I shall go and look up a piece very soon. Could you suggest any composers that are not 'mainstream'?

A good place to start would be the Unsung Composers website:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ddfe1b657922d5541b97060d3277ddf2&

and pianophilia:

http://www.pianophilia.com/phpBB3/index.php

If you like Mendelssohn, there are a lot of obscure composers who wrote Songs without Words. One of my favorites is the 'Romance sans Paroles' Op.56 by Mélanie Hélène Bonis, which you can find at IMSLP:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Romance_sans_paroles,_Op.56_%28Bonis,_Mel%29

Also, since you are from China, any Chinese composer would be considered unsung.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Mel, sorry about that! Sometimes spell check is a blessing and sometimes it's not!

RandomPianist, please do research other composers. We'd love to have you join us.

Participants
Jolteon -- Heller
heidiv -- Rêverie, Op. 10, No. 4 (Catoire); selections from Six Fantasy Pieces, Op. 17 (Dora Pejačević)
dannylux -- Otto Nicolai, Etude in D flat "Gruss an Liszt" Op. 40, No. 3; York Bowen, Reverie d'Amour, Op. 20, No. 2
Tim Adrianson -- Roy Harris, American Ballads; Morton Gould, Guaracha; William Flanagan, Sonata; Paul Bowles, El Bejuco and El Indio; Irving Fine Variations, from Music for Piano; Gail Kubik, Sonatina; Vincent Persichetti, Sonata No. 5; Norman dello Joio, Salute to Scarlatti, No. 1, 2, and 4; Leo Smit, Rondele

T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Heidi, I've reviewed both box.com and soundcloud.com as vehicles for uploading my recordings and sending to you. From your perspective, is one better than the other -- can you use one, but not the other? To me, soundcloud looks to be more music-specific, but in either case I'll need to register into the site in order to utilize the programs. Thanks for your advice!

H
heidiv Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Hi Tim,

There's actually no need to upload your recordings to either site because our techie Greg graciously lets us use his site for the Unsung Heroes e-cital, so you'll be uploading directly there. Easy as pie!

We won't actually be ready for submissions until 2-4 weeks before the recital date, depending on when the site is ready. Again, many thanks to Greg for his time and effort. Without him, this wouldn't be possible.

I've been practicing. How about everyone else?

Heidi

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission