2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I have had an odd buzz or zing that occurred when playing 2 notes (keys # 71 and #72) in the second last octave for the last couple months and I found the reason tonight and corrected the problem. The noise didn't occur 100% of the time, and of course didn't happen when my tuner/tech was onsite twice, but it did occur way too frequently to disregard it. Well, it turns out it was due to the damper wires for those two notes being too close to the third string. Depending on how hard you played those notes, that third string was vibrating enough to hit the damper wire and make the sound. I was easily able to replicate the sound 100% of the time by bending the wire toward the string a little more, and then eliminated the noise by putting the damper wire in the correct shape to avoid it.
Looking back, I was so close to determining the problem when I was using mutes to silence the individual strings and had clearly decided the issue must have been with the third string on each note; but it wasn't until I had the action out of the piano (to work on felt replacements) that I noticed the cause very readily. Looking up at the strings from the empty "action-cavity", the problem was immediately obvious.

So, the buzzes are gone and the fix only required correcting damper wires.

Regards,
Steve Schutte
Cincinnati
1979 6'7 Kimball Grand
1902 6' Hazelton Bros. Grand (project piano)
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Whew! It's kinda like finally getting to an itch you can't scratch. Congrat's!

I've dealt with that kind of buzz before. It usually only happens when you hit the note real hard so with just normal playing it doesn't buzz.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
These things don't just happen. What you fixed is often merely a symptom.

Check the location and tightness of screws of the damper guide rail. Also the tightness and location of the mounting blocks for the damper lift tray. A mm or two in either of these locations can cause your symptom.

Be prepared to unfix your fix. Best have a tech qualified in grand dampers have a look sometime.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

OP Offline
Thanks for the tips, guys.
What is obvious about the dampers is that the damper wires on my piano are not consistently shaped or "bent". Also, the holes in the damper wire-guide are simply not consistently located. I imagine this was simply due to poor workmanship when it was made---primarily due to the fact that my piano is the brand that everyone says was so sloppily made. (I actually didn't list the brand when I posted this thread specifically because I figured it would quickly divert into a critique of this being typical of the poor workmanship from this manufacturer.) ;-)

Regards,
Steve Schutte
Cincinnati
1979 6'7 Kimball Grand
1902 6' Hazelton Bros. Grand (project piano)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The fix "only" required correcting damper wire bends?

I can't speak for others, but bending damper wires is still a slightly terrifying subject for me.

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

1906 Heintzman upright (rebuilt)
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Well, the alternate fix, only suitable where there is a capo bar instead of agraffes, is to move the strings. You use a string spacer and tap it from one side with a hammer. However, bending the wires is not difficult, with the proper tools.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission