2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
ryanct Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi all

I completed grade 8 piano and have played for a number of years (not always at grade 8 level - mostly church piano and mucking around with computer sequencing of all kinds in my spare time).

Anyway, the time came for a piano-like-object at home. I used to play the old (early 90's) Roland HP-XXX (can't remember) at school (oil damped action - horrid memories). We had an MT-100 that taught me my sequencing chops, too. Although I've followed music technology for a while, I've never really been happy with most of the weighted actions. Earlier this year, I came across the Roland RG-1F and was very pleasantly surprised by the action. So, I obviously Googled what had been happening and ran into the PHA III keyboards and other developments. This led me to seeking a similar (but cheaper and more transportable equivalent). Some thoughts on what I tested:

RD-300NX: A lightish action that could be serviceable, but honestly, too "bouncy" for my tastes. I'm sure one could gig quite happily with it, but I wouldn't want to practise classical works on the action. Disappointingly, the Ivory Feel G is not similar enough to the full PHA III on the RG-1F and friends. A good selection of sounds that responded well to dynamics and articulation.

RG-1F: (and I'm guessing, RD-700NX and FP-7F): Good action, with no issues around repeated notes. A bit light, possibly. Worlds away from the actions I had tried in previous years. Nice key surface.

MP6: Better than previous Kawai's I had tried. A slight amount of bounce, but not distracting. A fair bit heavier than the Roland actions - it makes one work, but rewards the work. Very controllable, although took a little bit of settling in - I remember hating the grand piano action when I first practised on one after years of upright practise, but soon grew to love the possibilities it opened up once my mind and muscles adjusted. Good and playable sounds, although I'm at heart more of a Yamaha grand kind of guy (although the Bosendorfer we had at school was incredible for classical period music - unbelievable change of sonority from ppp to fff - it really sang in the upper registers).

MP10: Arguably better with less bounce than the MP6, but, in my opinion, not enough difference to pay the premium. I would probably go for a RD-700NX if I were spending that much money, largely for the SN sounds. Heavy, of course, but a good looking instrument.

Anyway, to cut waffling, I have decided to go for the MP6 because of a combination of factors -
* keen local pricing
* I feel the heavier action will keep me fitter for a transition to a real grand if/when that happens. The PHA III is great, but too light. I hope to look at the post-grade 8 options (RSM) sometime. I think I could practise on the MP6 just fine.
* When sequencing, I use virtual pianos (Vintage D and Alicia's keys), but the built-in sounds are fine for gigging, if not stellar. BTW Alicia's keys is great (IMO) once you disable the built-in reverb and use something like Valhalla Room.
* Transportable
* I was looking for issues with repeated notes, but in all honesty, I found nothing to worry about. My technique was the only limitation. Trills and mordents etc were fine.
* The keyboard is visibly well built and looks great, in my opinion. I like the angled console. There were no key clicks or suchlike.
* The local Kawai agents seem knowledgeable and claim that they receive parts quickly. I'm not so certain about local Roland support, especially concerning piano-action type issues. The Kawai guys spend most of their time around acoustic pianos and know what's expected.

I use KRK RP10-3 monitors at home (which is why speakers weren't really a consideration) and Sennheiser HD-25 and HD-600 headphones.

I would be happy to answer questions, if there are any.

Ryan

Last edited by ryanct; 03/16/12 11:01 AM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
No questions but yours is a very useful post, thanks. I think the Kawai action in the MP6 is very good. I tried it in a CS3 (I think) and was very impressed. On balance I too perhaps preferred it to PHA-III. It's slightly meatier anyway but maybe a bit slower than PHA-III. I also agree the MP6 is a good looking DP. Enjoy yours.

Cheers,

Steve

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for your post Ryan, and congrats on the purchase of your MP6.

It sounds like you testing a good selection of Roland and Kawai instruments, however I'm surprised that you do not mention Yamaha DPs, which many regard to have quite stiff/heavy keyboard actions.

By the way, if you have not done so already, I recommend updating your MP6's firmware to the latest version (currently v1.11), which improves some functions and fixes a handful of reported bugs. The firmware can be downloaded from the URL below:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/updates.html

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Ryan. Great post and congrats on the MP6. I want an MP6 to gig with to change it up from my Nord. Awesome action and great sounds, the MP6 is the best overall value out there to me.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
R
ryanct Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Kawai James

It sounds like you testing a good selection of Roland and Kawai instruments, however I'm surprised that you do not mention Yamaha DPs, which many regard to have quite stiff/heavy keyboard actions.

To be honest, I've never really rated Yamaha keyboard actions (although a C7 is pretty much my ideal grand if I had a large room with a high ceiling - and spare cash!). I tried something in one of the stores I visited - I think it was an S90 - and it immediately confirmed my dislike of the Yamaha action. That could just be confirmation bias, though. Maybe they make something better that I don't know about.

In an "interesting" mix-up, I had an MP5 delivered to my home accidentally (rectified quite promptly, fortunately). I did get the chance to check it out and I'm glad to say that the MP6 is definitely an improvement - both in action and the much better key surface, which makes a surprising difference.

I've updated the firmware. One thing I did notice is that getting the muscle for repeated notes when playing deeper into the keys (e.g. when playing in key signatures with lots of black notes) can be slightly harder. This is probably a side effect of the limited key length and weighting/pivot. However, I wouldn't want to lug anything heavier (like an MP20) around. I do some gym and can lift 20-25kgs in one hand fine; but, combined with the bulk factor, the 22kg of the MP6 is really at my limit for something practical.

As an aside, see if you can suggest adding a compressor (the dynamic kind) to the effects arsenal of future products. A touch of compression can be quite useful in live performance - especially given the Kawai type grand sound - to get closer to a recorded sound for jazz/pop.

Hello Ryan,

I agree that the MP6 is a definite improvement (in action especially) over the MP5 - you're lucky you had the chance to try both. wink

Adding a compressor effect is a good suggestion too. I don't know if it's something that could be added with a software update, but you never know. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission