Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1867614 - 03/24/12 07:02 AM Teaching technic to students or something besides Kabalevsky
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
I finally had a chance to sit down this morning and play through all 21 etudes of Nikolas Sideris' Sketch Music. One can immediately tell that Mr. Sideris is a piano teacher, because each etude focuses on a specific playing technic or reading and playing skill, eg, rhythm.

Having used Kabalevsky's etudes for 30+ years now, it's refreshing to have something new sounding which takes us into the 21st century, and out of the early and mid parts of the 20th century.

I'm not intending on a piece by piece critique here, but will say that most all of the necessary playing technics are covered, except pedaling, and I plan to add that in some of the etudes. Also, you may find some alternate fingerings helpful for some of your students, but as teachers, we do that all the time, anyway, so this isn't unexpected. I have to admit to changing a few tempos as well (which is our prerogative, isn't it!)

The technical range (playing difficulty) is from EE (Guild ranking Elementary E) to Intermediate F. In other words, with average students, this would be a most useful alternative etude book for students over a 3 - 4 year period; gifted students would probably work their way through in 12 to 18 months. Using Snell's Piano Repertoire rankings, I'd distribute these etudes from levels 1 through 6. You can do your own conversion to other systems.

BTW, as with any new publication, you'll find some interesting errors. One of them is that the computer somehow missed the time signature on several etudes. Turn this around and use it as an opportunity to have your student figure out the meter.

For those of you who've had it "up to here" with some of the mindless adherence to rules of various judges, Mr. Sideris includes a composition of only 4 measures. So if your student is playing a theme and variations of 12 pages, and the audition allows that to count as only one composition, then turn the tables and add this little etude as an offset. Enjoy watching them sputter as they read and reread the rule book and find that this is completely legal!

So, to wrap up, you can see that I enjoyed the new offering and will definitely find a place in my teaching repertoire for it! I hope others will brave the distribution system and try this Sketch Music on for size.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1867744 - 03/24/12 01:30 PM Re: Teaching technic to students or something besides Kabalevsky [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Thanks very much for your information, John.
I will look into ordering this collection.

#1867764 - 03/24/12 02:33 PM Re: Teaching technic to students or something besides Kabalevsky [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Thanks for the review, John. Our own Nikolas--- this is great! Did you mention the publisher... maybe it will be obvious through Search.

#1867780 - 03/24/12 03:36 PM Re: Teaching technic to students or something besides Kabalevsky [Re: John v.d.Brook]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine

#1867828 - 03/24/12 06:05 PM Re: Teaching technic to students or something besides Kabalevsky [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
John,

I'm honestly touched with this thread.

Your review is pretty accurate on every account. I will say that the 'arpegge' technique is missing, since it's so frequently met in other works that I turned my back on them.

Yes, quite a few time signatures are missing right now, and pedalling is also missing. The pedalling was my own choice, but the missing time signatures and the small 'errors' in the fingerings are to be corrected actually. We plan on reprinting the book without the glaring errors in. We're just waiting from a brilliant proof reader and then we're off to the press! smile

There's a thread about this set which can be found HERE including a couple of youtube videos!

Again thank you John!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, aesop, 36251, *windowlicker*, 48 invisible), 1819 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75920 Members
42 Forums
156889 Topics
2305233 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pierre-Laurent Aimard Ticket for sale
by Fugue14
31 minutes 8 seconds ago
A New Piano Brand is Coming
by Steve Cohen
Today at 12:21 PM
YAMAHA SILENT PIANO HQ 300 SX - Information please!
by ernani
Today at 10:52 AM
CA95 and HP-508
by Alpiano
Today at 09:47 AM
Help - kawai rx2-c conservatory limited edition
by KungPaoPanda
Today at 08:53 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission