Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1868251 - 03/25/12 01:31 PM Choice between Boston, Kawai, and Albert Weber
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
I am considering three pianos: Boston 178, Kawai RX-2, and a larger 7'6" Albert Weber by Young Chang, all in about the same price to me. The Boston is really nice, but I hear the RX-2 is also and it is cheaper. I haven't seen the RX yet. The Albert Weber was a surprise addition recently to my choices. It plays very sweetly although it is surprisingly quieter than I would expect for a semi-concert grand. I can get a really decent price on it and I think it sounds lovely. Does anyone have experience with these three? What would you buy, all new, all nice, similar prices?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1868293 - 03/25/12 03:07 PM Re: Choice between Boston, Kawai, and Albert Weber [Re: Chopinlover49]
Rafterman Offline

Loc: New York
RX-2 Blak is the winner.

#1868307 - 03/25/12 03:33 PM Re: Choice between Boston, Kawai, and Albert Weber [Re: Chopinlover49]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
I've only played the 178 and the RX-2, but never the big Weber. Generally I have preferred the RX-2 to the Boston, but then I played a very nice Boston that had been beautifully prepped and maintained by an area university and I had to look at the model number a few times to be sure I wasn't hallucinating... (it was a 178 before the PE version, by the way).
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#1868356 - 03/25/12 05:58 PM Re: Choice between Boston, Kawai, and Albert Weber [Re: Chopinlover49]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Chopinlover49
I am considering three pianos: Boston 178, Kawai RX-2, and a larger 7'6" Albert Weber by Young Chang, all in about the same price to me. The Boston is really nice, but I hear the RX-2 is also and it is cheaper. I haven't seen the RX yet. The Albert Weber was a surprise addition recently to my choices. It plays very sweetly although it is surprisingly quieter than I would expect for a semi-concert grand. I can get a really decent price on it and I think it sounds lovely. Does anyone have experience with these three? What would you buy, all new, all nice, similar prices?

Seems at this point (without having tried the Kawai) you really like the Weber. What type of space will your new piano (whichever one you buy) be placed in? The 5'7" Weber I owned a few years ago sounded great in my living room (20' by 14'with a very high ceiling) whereas my current 7 foot Mason and Hamlin almost overwhelms the space sound-wise. A 7'6" piano with a sweet sound might work very well in your home.

#1868485 - 03/25/12 10:58 PM Re: Choice between Boston, Kawai, and Albert Weber [Re: Chopinlover49]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Keep in mind that the piano will probably sound louder in your home than in the showroom. Unless your room is huge, of course. In this case, it may be a good thing that it sounds quieter than expected in the showroom.

Edited by TX-Dennis (03/25/12 10:59 PM)

flickr

#1868499 - 03/25/12 11:37 PM Re: Choice between Boston, Kawai, and Albert Weber [Re: Chopinlover49]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
The room where the piano is going will be 15.5' by 24.5' and 10' ceilings. The room is not lively as it has wall-to-wall carpets, drapes, bookshelves and other items which absorb the sound. My daughter had her Steinway L in the room and it sounded pretty small. Actually, I am more concerned that the piano may be a bit soft for the room, but the tech/owner said he was thinking of voicing it with a bit of lacquer as the hammers had not been treated at all. Not a lot, just a bit to bring up the sound a bit. I think that might be a good idea. I am really looking forward to going back to play it again after he does, and maybe play the RX-2 if he gets one by then.

#1869077 - 03/27/12 04:08 AM Re: Choice between Boston, Kawai, and Albert Weber [Re: Chopinlover49]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I'd go for the 7'6" if you like its tone. The RX-2 would not have as clear fundamentals throughout the entire range. Even between an RX-3 and RX-2 you can tell the difference.

#1869150 - 03/27/12 09:17 AM Re: Choice between Boston, Kawai, and Albert Weber [Re: Chopinlover49]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
An expression I have used with shoppers many times is that "it is hard to overcome physics".

In this case, the size differential is great. On the other hand the tonal nuances of the Boston and Kawai may be a tad better.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1869157 - 03/27/12 09:36 AM Re: Choice between Boston, Kawai, and Albert Weber [Re: Steve Cohen]
Pangur Bán Offline

Loc: Kuala Lumpur
Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen
"it is hard to overcome physics".

I get the impression that piano builders these days are getting cannier at overcoming the problem of inharmonicity in smaller pianos?

#1869280 - 03/27/12 03:07 PM Re: Choice between Boston, Kawai, and Albert Weber [Re: Chopinlover49]
Glenn Treibitz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles/Burbank
The longer sustain and lyrical quality of the Albert Weber combined with the size make it the stand out choice.

Edited by Glenn Treibitz (03/27/12 03:07 PM)

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Grotrian, Mason&Hamlin, Estonia,Schulze Pollmann,Albert Weber,Baldwin,Brodmann,Ritmuller,Weber,Hardman,Roland,Kurzweil, Used Steinway,Yamaha,Kawai

#1869299 - 03/27/12 03:39 PM Re: Choice between Boston, Kawai, and Albert Weber [Re: Chopinlover49]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Although I am fortunate enough to have a 7+ foot grand piano, I’m thinking the designers (like Del Fandrich) and the manufacturers are producing some very potent smaller baby grands these days. As has been mentioned, physics will always favor the bigger grands, but like I’ve heard before, dynamite comes in small packages. smile

Personally, I like the Albert Weber pianos. It is among some of the brands that I have played.

Rick

#1869550 - 03/28/12 12:44 AM Re: Choice between Boston, Kawai, and Albert Weber [Re: Pangur Bán]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Pangur Bán
Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen
"it is hard to overcome physics".

I get the impression that piano builders these days are getting cannier at overcoming the problem of inharmonicity in smaller pianos?

Sure but not every company is making drastic changes. For example, I really liked Del's new short Weber W114 upright vs. a Kawai K2.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
58 registered (ando, anotherscott, Bigvalbio, bennevis, Alex Hernandez, 15 invisible), 1084 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153599 Topics
2251185 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
04/20/14 06:58 AM
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
04/20/14 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
04/20/14 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
04/20/14 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
04/19/14 11:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission