Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1868570 - 03/26/12 05:36 AM Is this keyboard anygood?
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Hi

TL : DR , absolute beginner. Played with a 61 key casio toy for a month. Found I liked it. Wanting something bigger and badder especially after making sweet sweet love (not literally) to a £130,000 Steinway grand piano in a shop.

Initially wanted a Clavinova but found the price tag obsene. But then again on the radio it is advertised every 10 minutes.

So looked at something lower cost. Lots of 76 keys which I don't want. So looked at 88 keys.

Initially thought of a CDP100/120, £289 then realised a couple £ more I could get a CPD200R for £370.

I was just about to buy the CDP200R,>< to pressing the buy button online then all of a sudden.

I found two used non portable digital pianos considerably cheaper than the above Casios. My only problem is that I have a severe lack of space. Though I suppose I can live with that for a while.

A Yamaha P60, which seems to be quite old for $250 (lack of connectivity concerns me)

And also a gear for music DP10 $200 laugh

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Piano-Gear4music-Matte-Black/dp/B0057OXU74

Thing is I have never heard of gear4music and the single review makes me think hmmm.... but it has weighted keys 3 pedals and 64-note Polyphony while the Casios only have 32 note polyphony.

I also know NOTHING about digital pianos other than more polyphony = better. And more money = better sound chip = better sampled sounds and sounds much more like a real piano.

Can anybody give me some pointers?

Thanks

Edited by justpin (03/26/12 05:37 AM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1868580 - 03/26/12 06:01 AM Re: Is this keyboard anygood? [Re: justpin]
Gigantoad Offline

So you played on a Steinway grand and now you want to get some chunk keyboard from a no name company that nobody ever heard of? Better don't send that story to the Steinway marketing department, they might commit collective suicide wink

Seriously though, I would invest a little more time and research your options if you really want to keep learning the piano. This forum is full of information so you certainly made a good start by coming here.

Polyphony is probably one of the least important aspects in a DP as they should all have plenty to not have any notes cut off during playing. More important is how the action feels, how easy or hard it is to control the sound and, of course, how convincing the sound is per se. All that combines to give you a good or bad experience while playing. The better the experience the smaller the chance that you will give up frustrated. It's like learning to drive on a barely functional old heap of a car.

#1868590 - 03/26/12 07:06 AM Re: Is this keyboard anygood? [Re: justpin]
thurisaz Offline

Loc: Finland
The basic rule when piano shopping is the same, whether you're looking for a digital or an acoustic: try playing as many pianos as you can to get an idea of what feels & sounds right to you. As gigantoad said, there's much more to a DP than how much polyphony it supports. Each of the major brands makes a range of different DPs with quite different actions, so you should try them out. They also sound quite different. It's not just a question of the quality of sampling, but also the type of sound -- some are more mellow, some are more bright.

My advice: slow down and take the time to find a DP you like. Playing piano is a lifelong journey, so resist the urge to rush into buying something straight away. In the meantime, you can keep practicing on the 61-key you've got; I spent 8-9 months playing on my little Yamaha YPT-320 before I moved up to the Arius.

Edited by thurisaz (03/26/12 07:06 AM)

Bach Prelude in C (BWV 846)
Petzold Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh 115)
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, first movement
Working on: Alfred's Adult Piano Level 2, Satie Gymnopedie N. 1

#1868640 - 03/26/12 09:07 AM Re: Is this keyboard anygood? [Re: justpin]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmm had a poke around.

Its a rebadged Medeli (made in Zhuhai). Went to read some reviews in Chinese. And they are not fantastic.

Went to find some more reviews in English and they look suspect (in that they look like astroturf reviews).

Might as well get that CDP200R.

thurisaz I know I could stick with my keyboard currently. But I'm thinking of taking up some proper tuition. Therefore something a bit more than my 61 key I think anyway will be needed to practice on. None of the nearby teachers happen to use digital keyboards using proper pianos. Which is a world of difference to that of a unweighted keyboard.

#1868697 - 03/26/12 11:35 AM Re: Is this keyboard anygood? [Re: thurisaz]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: thurisaz
My advice: slow down and take the time to find a DP you like. Playing piano is a lifelong journey, so resist the urge to rush into buying something straight away. In the meantime, you can keep practicing on the 61-key you've got; I spent 8-9 months playing on my little Yamaha YPT-320 before I moved up to the Arius.

My advice ?

Take the advice quoted above.

I know you are hot to buy something but you will end up much happier if you take the time to find out what these DPs sound like before just leaping onto the first one with good reviews.

We have all been where you are and we know the mistakes we made.

We are trying to help you avoid those same mistakes.

Just make up your mind not to buy anything until you have actually been sitting down and playing at least 4 or 5 different ones to see how they feel and sound.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1868722 - 03/26/12 12:09 PM Re: Is this keyboard anygood? [Re: justpin]
susanmusic Offline

If you can think of $250 as comparable to rental for a year, I'd say get the P60, assuming it's in good condition. Spend MOST of your music-making time over the next year playing your P60. Spend some time researching DP's. At the end of a year, buy something better.

BTW, the P60 does have midi in and out. You just need a USB-midi connector to connect to a computer. The P60 has the (better) GH action, unlike the later P85 and P95 which have only the (not-quite-so-good) GHS. For me the issue with the p60 (and any slab piano) is keeping the pedal(s) from moving around while playing. My husband built me a wooden box which both hides my power strip and helps to keep my P60 pedals still.

Although I have other DP's, the P60 continues to get plenty of use. It's part of my midi-file-making setup. And it's the piano for last minute practice by students who are waiting for me to finish teaching their sibling/spouse.

As a teacher, I do think it's better to be practicing on an instument with weighted keys and not spend too long on a keyboard.

#1869324 - 03/27/12 04:31 PM Re: Is this keyboard anygood? [Re: susanmusic]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: susanmusic
If you can think of $250 as comparable to rental for a year, I'd say get the P60, assuming it's in good condition. Spend MOST of your music-making time over the next year playing your P60. Spend some time researching DP's. At the end of a year, buy something better.

As a teacher, I do think it's better to be practicing on an instument with weighted keys and not spend too long on a keyboard.

I had a go, the P60 had broken keys. Started playing a scale from bottom notes to top notes. Was surprised when several keys did not make a sound.

Quite ironically I can get free acoustic pianos which need tuning. But alas I play during the night.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (angelsong, Akshay, 36251, adanepst, Asmodeus, ando, 21 invisible), 1228 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249689 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A question about app.box
by LarryShone
1 minute 15 seconds ago
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission