Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1868737 - 03/26/12 12:49 PM Have You / Would You Buy Online?
digipianofan Offline

Loc: Nashville TN
Hi everyone. Got a little survey for ya.

Have you ever purchased or would you consider purchasing a digital piano online?

And if you have, what website did you buy from?

If you bought online, did you try it out at a store first?

In the past, I've always bought my guitars online. But I'm wondering if it would still be alright to do that with digital pianos.

Edited by digipianofan (03/26/12 12:52 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1868738 - 03/26/12 12:59 PM Re: Have You / Would You Buy Online? [Re: digipianofan]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have bought two digital pianos online. The first was a Yamaha P80. I had tried this piano at a friend's house and liked it. I don't recall what website I used. Whichever was cheapest.

Later I bought a Kawai MP8 at Kraft Music, without ever having tried it or any other Kawai digital.

Most people in the forum will say demoing a piano yourself before buying is critically important. But I'm of the opinion that if finding a place to demo is really a hardship, buying sight unseen after plenty of research is fine. You can, after all, send it back with only moderate cost if you end up hating it.

For console models shipping costs start to go up, but these models are not typically available online anyway.

Edited by gvfarns (03/26/12 01:00 PM)

#1868739 - 03/26/12 01:02 PM Re: Have You / Would You Buy Online? [Re: digipianofan]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Yes, I have. I have purchased 3 digital pianos a Kurzweil SP4-7, a PX-330 and a MP-5 all from Sweetwater. The MP-5 arrived damaged from shipping, Sweetwater sent me a new one with a shipping label for the old one. I called Fedex and they came and got it. The only hassle was waiting for the Fedex guy. My replacement worked wonderfully. I did checkout each one in the local Sam Ash except the SP4-7, I couldn't find one. I have bought the lions share of all my gear online.

#1868792 - 03/26/12 02:10 PM Re: Have You / Would You Buy Online? [Re: digipianofan]
krzyzowski Offline

Bought a "V" from MF. "As Is,damaged, No warrantee" Great buy. Plugged and play..I buy alot of their used gear. They don't want you to be unhappy. If you don't like it, send it back..

#1868796 - 03/26/12 02:14 PM Re: Have You / Would You Buy Online? [Re: digipianofan]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've bought numerous accessories online. However for DP's I've always made a trip to one of the large online stores (that also has a shop) and negotiated the price. Since the shop sells online without shipping costs, they can't resist the argument that they should sell to me in person cheaper than online - and that's what they do.

#1868797 - 03/26/12 02:19 PM Re: Have You / Would You Buy Online? [Re: digipianofan]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
I got my Casio Celviano AP-620 from Musician's Friend. It had some minor defects and was sold "as-is, no warranty", but I paid just under $600.00 for it and it cost nothing for me to fix the little defects, which were mostly cosmetic. It plays and sounds great and I'm very happy with it.

#1868800 - 03/26/12 02:27 PM Re: Have You / Would You Buy Online? [Re: digipianofan]
arley Offline

Bought a Kawai MP6 online from Sweetwater.

Couldn't find any example to play prior to the purchase, but I did find a Kawai model with the same action, which I liked. So I felt okay buying it.

Transaction was smooth, no glitches, item arrived in perfect condition; I'd have no hesitation in buying another instrument that way.

#1868837 - 03/26/12 03:56 PM Re: Have You / Would You Buy Online? [Re: digipianofan]
digipianofan Offline

Loc: Nashville TN
Thanks for all the responses!

So it seems people do buy digital pianos online. I'll probably head over the stores and try them first. Maurus seems to be on to something there...

#1868861 - 03/26/12 04:41 PM Re: Have You / Would You Buy Online? [Re: arley]
cheechako Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
There are tons of threads about the same two choices: the P95 or the PX130. Those are my choices too. My wife and I agreed that I can order one at Best Buy. They offer free shipping to any store, and the closest one is a 5-minute drive unless it is rush hour.

That means $549.99 for the P95 slab, or the PX130 with stand and 3-pedals. On-line pricing seems similar for the P95. Their prices for the complete PX130 are still higher, but most of them will price match.

MF had the PX330 (refurbished, full warranty) on sale for $500 - normal price is $700 everywhere. With an M-Audio pedal, that would be $520, or less than my budget!

I live in Alaska, though. I don't qualify for free shipping from anyone except Best Buy (in-store pickup), at least for large items like keyboards. That makes it around $600. So I told an MF salesperson that I was ready to place an order for $550, either with Best Buy or with them, and he cut me a deal on the shipping. I won't get it until the 4th, but going into the purchase, it seems worth it.

p.s. I was able to try all three: P95, PX130, PX330 at a local Best Buy.

p.p.s. If I had the budget for a Roland, I might be more inclined to support the local store - their pricing is competitive.

#1868952 - 03/26/12 08:18 PM Re: Have You / Would You Buy Online? [Re: cheechako]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I would defintely buy online, I happened to have purchased most things by phone from MF since I typically use rebate cards from software purchases or my credit card company in conjunction with an order,

I did order my P95 in store at GC but had it shipped from the warehouse in MS, no problems. I ordered all of the accessories on line, no problem.

I dont think it is an issue because I need most things delivered anyway of that length
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
125 registered (AmateurBob, accordeur, acortot, ando, 40 invisible), 1676 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155815 Topics
2287973 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A220-A440 Temperament recording
by Hakki
07/12/14 03:34 PM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Kawai CA-15
by ilkergoksen
07/12/14 02:08 PM
Just wanted to say thank you
by bobamser
07/12/14 01:49 PM
Roland HP-506 vs Yamaha CLP-545
by bossman
07/12/14 12:42 PM
Baldwin Artist Series...What does that mean?
by Piano Practice
07/12/14 10:54 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission