Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1800765 - 12/05/11 10:43 AM Kawai K3 price
AuroraG Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I am shopping for a new piano for my kids to start lessons. My top choice is Kawai K3. I was quoted an initial price of $6400. I checked Piano Book's online pricing guide. This is roughly 20% discount from the MSP. There seems to be room for negotion. So, what is a good price for K3 nowadays? Is 30% off MSP ($5700) a starting point for negotion or can I go lower?

Also, how does re-sale value look for K3?
Thanks.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1800777 - 12/05/11 11:15 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: AuroraG]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Hi AuroraG, welcome to the forum.

30% off is not an unreasonable place to start negotiating. This may or may not fly with the dealer. It can't hurt to to make the offer though.

Negotiating a price is an unfortunate aspect of buying a piano. However, that's the way it is. Maybe the ongoing implosion of the piano market will force some positive changes on a hidebound industry.

Have you looked at a K-5? A much better piano for just a bit more money, IMHO.

#1800833 - 12/05/11 01:35 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: AuroraG]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Mateo, CA
Hi I'm a Kawai Piano Dealer in San Jose CA. I'm not familiar with the dynamics of the piano-market in your region hard to say if the price is great for your area or just good. Prices fluctuate based on many local factors such as cost of living; which affects the rates for moving, tuning and overall overhead of the business.
Competition among dealers it is also a factor.
However prices on a 48" upright will have small variations in the hundreds and not in the thousands therfore would not be worth exploring a market outside your area.
In general basis a discount of 20% off SMP is good, 30% is generous.
Keep it simple and enjoy your piano.
Kawai Digital Piano, Pianodisc.
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#1800873 - 12/05/11 02:41 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: AuroraG]
AuroraG Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Gary and Kurtmen, thanks for the quick response. This dealer is out of state, thus no sales tax. I'll visit a local dealer as well and see how it goes. Thanks for the recommendation. I really don't like negotiations. But at least it helps to be prepared.

I have looked at K5. It's beyond my budget now. In fact even K3 was more than my initial budget. My initial budget was in the 4000s. So, Yamaha T118 was within range. I have also seen really good reviews of Perzina GP122. I have not seen it yet. I will check it out before making the final decision. But, if I can get K3 at a great price, that would be the one.

Thanks.

#1869741 - 03/28/12 11:12 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: AuroraG]
Oaktoner Offline

Hello,
I just joined the forum, and also buying a K3. Has anyone made the purchase recently? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Oaktoner

#1870007 - 03/28/12 09:39 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Oaktoner]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Mateo, CA
Piano Buyer new edition is available online.
There, you'll find some realistic guidelines for pricing.
Regards,
Kawai Digital Piano, Pianodisc.
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#1870102 - 03/29/12 01:53 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: AuroraG]
monads Offline

Loc: CA
Based on the new structure, $5700 appears reasonable.

In fact I'd put the range of fair negotiating between $5400-$5900. Keep in mind low and high end values in my range all depend on dealers and their OH costs.

Good luck!

#1891364 - 05/04/12 08:31 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: AuroraG]
dealfinder Offline

Loc: California, USA
So last week I bought our K3, ebony, new, delivered, with bench, with complimentary in home tuning, including tax. for a grand total of $5000.

California

#1891374 - 05/04/12 08:54 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: dealfinder]
Gomer Offline

Originally Posted By: dealfinder
So last week I bought our K3, ebony, new, delivered, with bench, with complimentary in home tuning, including tax. for a grand total of $5000.

California

Potential "fake" price manipulating dealer, one post wonder?

#1891379 - 05/04/12 09:01 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: AuroraG]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Congratulations, dealfinder. That's a nice piano, I hope you enjoy it!

#1891422 - 05/04/12 10:52 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Plowboy]
Rafterman Offline

Loc: New York
Well less than 60 days ago you could get a Kawai K3 for $4500 delivered with a free tuning in the NY tri-state area.

CA always seems to get slightly better deals. What seems suspect about that?

A few of us recently got Kawai K8s for $8000 to $8500 not even including the $300 rebate.

#1891498 - 05/05/12 02:16 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Rafterman]
monads Offline

Originally Posted By: Rafterman
A few of us recently got Kawai K8s for $8000 to $8500 not even including the $300 rebate.

Should probably clarify as that's without tax wink

2nd prices have changed since the new price guide became available. I'm on Par with Gomer's comment.

#1891652 - 05/05/12 11:24 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: AuroraG]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Speaking officially for Larry Fine:

Please keep in mind that the suggested range of 10% - 30% off the SMP is NOT a range of or for negotiation. It is a range to allow for the differing costs to dealers in different markets.

PLEASE READ the introduction to his pricing at http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring12/203.html.

One of Larry's major misgivings is the misuse of his pricing guidelines, dominantly by those who do not understand the major differences in costs to different dealers and in differing situations. Shoppers, and some regulars here, too often suggest that a price higher than 30% off SMP leaves room for negotiation. Assuming that a price of say 15% off SMP is higher than it ought to be, is in fact, unfair to a dealer with higher overhead.

He and I have, on many occasions discussed eliminating pricing altogether. The reason he hasn't done so it that it is likely the single most sought piece of information that shoppers look for.

I would hope that the regulars here on the Piano Forum would help educate shoppers on the right perspective to take when considering the MSRP, SMP and "street prices".

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1891694 - 05/05/12 12:28 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Steve Cohen]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen

Please keep in mind that the suggested range of 10% - 30% off the SMP is NOT a range of or for negotiation. It is a range to allow for the differing costs to dealers in different markets.

Thanks for clarifying this very important point. Although what you say does IMO follow logically from all the rest of the explanation about SMP and varying dealer wholesale prices given in the Piano Buyer, I must admit that I didn't fully understand this. Perhaps adding these sentences to the next edition would be helpful.

#1891741 - 05/05/12 02:09 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: pianoloverus]
Steve Cohen Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

Thanks for clarifying this very important point. Although what you say does IMO follow logically from all the rest of the explanation about SMP and varying dealer wholesale prices given in the Piano Buyer, I must admit that I didn't fully understand this. Perhaps adding these sentences to the next edition would be helpful.

Good point.

I spoke to Larry and we will add it to the next edition.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1892368 - 05/06/12 04:37 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: AuroraG]
Scott McBain Offline

Loc: San Jose / Fremont / Bay Area
Kawai K-3 pianos, I sell them for $2,500. but the keys and legs are extra. Bench is extra and delivery can range from $50. to $1500.

Do you want or need to talk to a sales consultant and will you tip the mover? Some dealers tune the pianos more than once, is that important? When you buy you might want some service, is that improtant?

Good sales people are very expensive, but do not make nearly as much nor do they have any of the fringe benefits as a policeman or fireman, or a politician or any government employee.

If I sell a K-3 for $5000. OTD the sales person might make about $150.00

You allow Macy's to charge you 700% when you buy a shirt and you allow Starbucks to make 800% when you buy the flavored water.

Auto Dealers have prices fixed so that they can make a margin that will allow them to stay in business.

These post about prices are just unfair to our business and the people in the business should join in on this one.

Teacher and techs often will ask for commissions for sending over a customer (something we do not do at our store but I know it happens all the time) how many piano salespeople ask a teacher or tech. for a kickback for a recommendation.

Sorry to get on the soapbox, but just need to air a few gripes.
Seiler-Shigeru-Kawai-Wilh.Steinberg, Charles R. Walter
Pre-owned Too!
www.carnespianostore.com
1-408-248-9200

#1893796 - 05/08/12 09:42 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Scott McBain]
Sneakers Offline

Originally Posted By: Scott McBain

You allow Macy's to charge you 700% when you buy a shirt and you allow Starbucks to make 800% when you buy the flavored water.

Macy's operating margin is 9% and Starbucks is 13%.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=M+Key+Statistics
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=SBUX+Key+Statistics

Quote:
These post about prices are just unfair to our business and the people in the business should join in on this one.

I think you knowing how much you paid wholesale and me having no idea is unfair.

#1893847 - 05/08/12 11:41 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Scott McBain]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Auto Dealers have prices fixed so that they can make a margin that will allow them to stay in business.

Scott, IMHO, the industry needs to look at themselves. They created this pricing mess.

#1893964 - 05/09/12 06:12 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Plowboy]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Plowboy

Scott, IMHO, the industry needs to look at themselves. They created this pricing mess.

The auto industry is worse for the dealers. You complain about the pricing threads. How would you like to have the invoice where you purchase your pianos wholesale posted on the web, easily found for all to see?

Jonathan

#1893991 - 05/09/12 08:06 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Daniel1402 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
To me it does not make any sense that a piano is more difficult to shop around than a car!

I bought a wooden shed last summer and paid $3,500. There was no negatiation and the price was posted as "take it or leave it". All other shed suppliers in my area had the same policy.

I requested a price by e-mail on a Kawai K3 just to "test the water" and I received $10,000 (in Ontario Canada). Upon visiting the store a month later, I got $7000 (plus 13% tax) without any negotiation. However, I doubt I can get the price down to $5000 tax included! (Another example where pricing is higher in Canada because of lower sales volume).

I just wish piano prices were posted "as is", with an MSRP that makes sense. This way people like me could concentrate on features, touch and tone when shopping around...

My two cents.

Daniel

#1894033 - 05/09/12 09:31 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: AuroraG]
Steve Cohen Offline

This topic has been discusses many times. In the FAQ is this thread which may help in understanding the complexities in pricing issues.
The Taboo Subject of Piano Pricing.

One further point: What is the actual wholesale cost of a washing machine, a tractor, a high-end wristwatch, a high-end camera, or for that matter any consumer product. Do you really think the "invoice" price on a car reflects the actual price paid by a car dealers?

Edited by Steve Cohen (05/09/12 09:32 AM)

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

#1894039 - 05/09/12 09:38 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Steve Cohen]
Daniel1402 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks, I will have a look at the FAQ. I like the title "...taboo...".

Daniel

#1894445 - 05/09/12 10:07 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Steve Cohen]
Jonathan Alford Offline

One further point: What is the actual wholesale cost of a washing machine, a tractor, a high-end wristwatch, a high-end camera, or for that matter any consumer product. Do you really think the "invoice" price on a car reflects the actual price paid by a car dealers?

I agree that it is not anyone's "right" to know what the wholesale price of a good is. If known, many consumers would (and do) misuse the information to try to get an unrealistic price.

Yes, the invoice price is what a car dealer pays. 20 years in the business has taught me that.

Jonathan

#1894519 - 05/10/12 01:07 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: AuroraG]
monads Offline

With a little research, and patience, one can figure out a reasonable price range for negotiation. If a buyer has done their homework, is fair/reasonable, it's simply a matter of visiting dealers and negotiating.

It's the buyer who lowballs and want's dealer cost for a product that upsets the market. That practice is not "fair/reasonable". Most consumers are not Cost Engineers, they have no idea of 'overhead' costs or what it takes to be a sustainable business or hidden dealer service costs associated with a product.

#1894697 - 05/10/12 10:43 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Steve Cohen Offline

Originally Posted By: Jonathan Alford

I agree that it is not anyone's "right" to know what the wholesale price of a good is. If known, many consumers would (and do) misuse the information to try to get an unrealistic price.

Yes, the invoice price is what a car dealer pays. 20 years in the business has taught me that.

Jonathan

My understanding is the there are a number of sales incentives provided new car dealerships that are not reflected by the "invoice" price. Also, isn't it true that, unlike the piano industry, much of the profitability of new car dealerships are from non-sales income, particularly service?

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

#1894710 - 05/10/12 11:11 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: AuroraG]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I know this is OT, and there is a lot of difference between new cars and new pianos, but since Steve Cohen is using the analogy, I’ll chime in… smile

A sales manager of a medium size Ford auto dealership used to be a member of my Church. I ask him one Sunday, out of curiosity, how much commission a car salesperson usually made on the sale of a new car (if he didn’t mind me asking). He said it depended on the particular model, and what kind of price was negotiated, but usually ranged from $150 to $300 per car. Much less than I was expecting.

On the other hand, he said the sales commission on a late model used car could be as much as $3000, depending on the profit margin the dealer was making. He said most auto dealership make the most profit on the sale of late model used cars they take in as trade-ins.

So, when the car dealer offers you peanuts on your trade, they turn around and make big bucks on it… such is the nature of the business.

Personally, I think the best approach on getting the best price on a new piano is to shop around at the various dealers. The problem is, at least in my area, there are not that many dealers around, unfortunately.

Rick

#1894734 - 05/10/12 11:46 AM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: monads]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: monads

It's the buyer who lowballs and want's dealer cost for a product that upsets the market. That practice is not "fair/reasonable". Most consumers are not Cost Engineers, they have no idea of 'overhead' costs or what it takes to be a sustainable business or hidden dealer service costs associated with a product.

It's the customer's fault that the system set up by the dealers doesn't work?

#1894743 - 05/10/12 12:01 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Plowboy]
monads Offline

Not necessarily, I was saying it's the customer's fault who figures out the cost, and abuses the knowledge not being fair to different dealer's OH costs. They don't have to buy the piano from xyz dealer if they don't like.

#1894787 - 05/10/12 01:37 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Plowboy]
Steve Cohen Offline

What alternative system would you suggest?

[Perhaps it would be better to answer in a new thread.]

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

#1894848 - 05/10/12 03:36 PM Re: Kawai K3 price [Re: Steve Cohen]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Originally Posted By: Jonathan Alford

Jonathan

My understanding is the there are a number of sales incentives provided new car dealerships that are not reflected by the "invoice" price. Also, isn't it true that, unlike the piano industry, much of the profitability of new car dealerships are from non-sales income, particularly service?

There are very few direct to dealer incentives available anymore. Usually only at model year switch over for last year's models on the lot. Not all manufacturers even do that anymore. Almost all the incentives available now on new cars are manufacturer to consumer incentives.

Auto dealers do have service departments - some make money with them - some do not. I see nothing stopping Piano Dealers from doing the same.

Auto dealers hire expensive, knowledgable technicians and spend lots of money on intrastructure to support them. Run properly - the service department can make money. Run poorly - it can close the business down.

Jonathan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
4 minutes 20 seconds ago
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Who's Online
80 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, Adypiano, 36251, 22 invisible), 1086 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158486 Topics
2327432 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission