2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Damon

It's unreasonable to constantly call people out for it when the fact that it's an opinion is obvious. Obviously you won't "get over it" but it's my opinion that you should. laugh

I haven't read pianoloverus's posts here, though I think it odd that he continues to post in a thread which doesn't really concern him. It is not about Liszt after all, it is just about a tiny old man wanting to get his own way, the self-appointed constable of PW. How many threads wherein this member just seems to make a fetish of nitpicking?

Sorry that Josh's topic has been so damned by someone who spends far too much time here, and therefore unable to confine himself to topics wherein he might otherwise have something of relevance to tell us.

Once again: I personally feel Il lamento one of Liszt's GREATEST compositions, I don't care what anyone else thinks, it is miraculous -time literally seems to stand still- there is simply no way that I can convey here what it has meant to me.

But someone had to pisss on my parade, remove the mystery, paint me as a fool, and stupidly whine that I didn't specify that -after all- it was only an opinion.

Jason
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think that when it's obvious that a statement is an opinion, it's more important to explicitly state it's an opinion if one wants to avoid the appearance of arrogance. Even more so if the opinion is different from most others.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/30/12 05:02 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You've made your point. Now please let it go. It's ok to "agree to disagree"-- and yes, that is my opinion.

B
B
Originally Posted by sophial
You've made your point. Now please let it go. It's ok to "agree to disagree"-- and yes, that is my opinion.

I believe Sibelius and Mahler agreed to disagree on the nature of the symphony (Mahler: The symphony is like the world - it must encompass everything! Sibelius retorted: Nein, no, no! My symphonies are like pure spring water - they cleanse the human soul! grin OK, that wasn´t quite what they said, but you get the gist), and that´s why they´re among the greatest symphonists of all time, and certainly the 20th century´s greatest.

IMO of course grin grin.

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bennevis

I believe Sibelius and Mahler agreed to disagree on the nature of the symphony (Mahler: The symphony is like the world - it must encompass everything! Sibelius retorted: Nein, no, no! My symphonies are like pure spring water - they cleanse the human soul! grin

That is a well known -and wonderful- anecdote, if no one is really sure what was said. Interestingly, if I am not mistaken, when Mahler and Sibelius had that encounter they had both written their first three symphonies. (Their respective 3rds are terrific.)

I don't think Elgar ever heard any of the Mahler symphonies -they were never performed in England, though Mahler conducted the 'Enigma Variations' as did Rachmaninov- but his 2nd Symphony is far closer to the Mahler model than Sibelius.

Now I think we must get back to Liszt, or is that just my opinion? wink

Jason
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Using "I think" automatically makes it your opinion. Two simple words.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/30/12 06:39 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

That's your opinion. Please use the prefix 'I think' when making such comments; it sounds like you're stating a fact, but it's merely your own opinion. kthxbai

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
Originally Posted by Jolteon
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

That's your opinion. Please use the prefix 'I think' when making such comments; it sounds like you're stating a fact, but it's merely your own opinion. kthxbai
Not really(unless you would debate the meaning of "is" a la Bill Clinton). I'm just using the standard meaning of the English words.

If you look at my posts, you'll see, not surprisingly, I make very frequent use of "IMO, I think" and similar phrases when stating my opinion.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/30/12 07:30 PM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
This is rather ridiculous. Josh's thread ran beautifully -some terrific contributions from many members here- for 8 pages before pianoloverus even bothered to contribute, and that only because of a perceived transgression on my part.

Little did I know that an innocent love and enthusiasm for such an underrated piece of Liszt would generate such vitriol. I gave my reasons for why I feel it is not played as often as it should, but that seems to have been overlooked in an avalanche of accusations of opinion masquerading as fact. Then of course the member above had to make it personal, that was what really stung.

This thread was started for members here who admire Liszt's music, and I thought that my contributions would be understood in that context.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
If we might get back on track, here is a fine performance of Liszt's BACH. When I was in Boston several weeks ago visiting with an old uni friend (and fellow organist), he -after many drinks- expressed disgust at this piece. Some things never change, we disagreed back then too!

Jason
B
B
I haven´t looked at all the posts, but if it hasn´t been mentioned already, there´s a recent recording of Liszt´s B minor Sonata played on the organ: all the notes of the piano part, nothing added, nothing taken away as far as I could tell. And it sounds amazingly good.

Now, we need someone to play it on the harp, or marimba, or xylophone, or...

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[video:youtube]cneUdhH6Q1w[/video]

France Clidat has become one of my favourite Liszt pianists. There aren't many of her recordings on YouTube, but for those who use it, she recorded quite a bit of Liszt's piano music, which is all available on Spotify:

http://open.spotify.com/album/7krfG6ayVyn18iXfUWRLcO

Apart from the occasional instance in which the piano is out of tune, these are some very great quality recordings indeed!

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bennevis
I haven´t looked at all the posts, but if it hasn´t been mentioned already

It hasn't!
there´s a recent recording of Liszt´s B minor Sonata played on the organ: all the notes of the piano part, nothing added, nothing taken away as far as I could tell. And it sounds amazingly good.

I have shied away from listening to that, but upon your recommendation perhaps I'll give it a try.

Never been a big fan of organ transcriptions (two major exceptions: the Walton coronation marches which feel tailor made for the organ ) partly because there is so much glorious music written expressly for the king of instruments.

Of course I can be inconsistent. I LOVE piano transcriptions, and the organ counterparts were frequently written for the same reason: to disseminate the music.

Jason
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Probably the greatest piano work Liszt ever wrote. It speaks more profoundly to me than anything else, I dearly love this, it says everything to me.

This, to me, is perhaps Liszt's most profound piano writing. (such that I've discovered, anyway.) smile

[video:youtube]peqVZ3urPdc[/video]
I think I might, possibly, have already posted this one here before, but I will do it again because I just love it so much!

I love it too...it's a perfect conclusion to a great cycle of piano music.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Gunnar Johansen is a great Liszt pianist i've discovered recently. He was one of the first pianists who attempted to record all of Liszt's piano music (he ended with 51 LP's worth), and this was when delving deep into Liszt's output was not exactly a common occurence. Not only did he play a lot of Liszt, i've found many of his recordings to be first rate, too. Here are some examples:

Ad Nos Fantasy and Fugue (start of video, but there are some delightful extras afterward too).

Last edited by pianojosh23; 10/02/12 09:47 AM.
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Liszt's Funeral Odes are some of his most profound works and some personal favourites of mine. They were written during one of the most remarkable compositional periods in his life (1860 - 1866), in which he wrote/completed final versions of such notable works as the Zwei Konzertetüden, Berceuse, Deux légendes, Variations on a theme from Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen, Rhapsodie espagnole, Die Lorelei, fantasies on Gounod, Beethoven Symphony Transcrptions, Deux épisodes d'apres le Faust de Lenau (including the first Mephisto Waltz), the choral ending to the Faust Symphony, Psalm's 13, 23, 137, and perhaps his ultimate masterpiece, Christus (and more). This was also a very difficult time in his life; his two children died in a span of around 3 years (which is, I believe, the inspiration for the odes), he and his music were basically driven out of Weimar, and his desired marriage was thwarted by those darn things we call politics. Luckily for us these terrible times for him have resulted in great works of art for us to witness!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[video:youtube]mAmGizqKkCI[/video]

This is, I feel, a very 'Lisztian' performance. And so great! I imagine that this is almost exactly how Liszt would have played it!

[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Liszt combines Allegri's Miserere mei Deus, Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus, and some passages/elaborations of his own, to create a wonderful work.

Last edited by pianojosh23; 10/13/12 05:59 AM.
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
[video:youtube]mAmGizqKkCI[/video]

This is, I feel, a very 'Lisztian' performance. And so great! I imagine that this is almost exactly how Liszt would have played it!

Beautiful performance! One of my favourite Rhapsodies.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianojosh23

Ad Nos Fantasy and Fugue (start of video, but there are some delightful extras afterward too).

What an INSANELY great piece of music, Liszt at his grandest! Johansen faithfully plays the Busoni transcription. (I followed with score.)

I have often wondered why Liszt never arranged it for solo piano; certainly he would have played through it on the piano. Liszt had no training as an organist and could not play the pedals, but all he managed was a rather perfunctory arrangement for piano four hands. Pace Leslie Howard, it is of little interest, and even less imagination.

Saint-Saëns -no slouch when it came to writing for the organ- proclaimed the Ad nos the most extraordinary work for the organ since Bach. Not true- that honour (and no IMO, thank-you) goes to Franck's greatest organ works. But S-S disliked Franck, surely a combination of personality conflict and misapprehension of the music.

How wrong he was. S-S, that most facile of composers, pales in comparison to Franck. Nothing he wrote matches the mature music of Franck, if he does come close on occasion.

For all that, nothing approaches a performance of the Ad nos on the organ. It is an unbelievably majestic experience, and when I first heard it played at St. Paul's Cathedral in London, I knew I wanted to be an organist.

Jason
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by pianojosh23

Pace Leslie Howard, it is of little interest, and even less imagination.

I listened to this recently and agree. I found it rather bland, and it's certainly no match for the Busoni. It's unusual, too, Liszt usually being so good as a transcriber and there's no reason for him to not have given this work his best. Maybe he was just having a bad day?

Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission