2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 10 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
Now I'm more intrigued, considering the lack of social skills. smile

At a composition master class, Mr. Norton told the student that her composition is so complicated and dense that it "collapses under its own weight."

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

At a composition master class, Mr. Norton told the student that her composition is so complicated and dense that it "collapses under its own weight."

That sounds like a good description to me. It brings to mind Joni Mitchell tunes with her scrambling to get all the words in. The comment wouldn't have hurt my feelings.

Did you see the comment as too blunt?

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, that's a bully master class comment that to me is the opposite of helpful and fostering public teaching. Christopher Norton seems to delight in an authority role; fortunately he is not a teacher except in this buy-my-books sense.

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Oh well. I suppose that the more talented the composer, the more patience is required to teach others. Looks like composers are not necessarily the best composition teachers. Very different skills.

Still, I'm a Norton admirer. And maybe it's best to admire from a distance. smile

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Just thought I'd add this to the thread: Chris is an unbelievably lovely, thoughtful and generous man.

He has lived in the UK for more than 30 years, and there are some crucial cultural differences between the UK and the US (or Australia, for that matter) in the way students are taught and are expected to react. I understand the feeling that comments of such a direct nature as the line quoted above are bullying, but I suspect Chris would be horrified to think anyone had felt in the slightest bit bullied.

And as regards social skills: I think musicians as a breed are somewhat challenged in this department. Many of the wonderful people I've worked with, who have insights that we value and who are dedicated to making the world a better place, are not as gifted with people skills as they are with music. It's more a brain-wiring thing than it is a charaacter flaw, to my way of thinking.

One little anecdote that touches on these things: last November I was touring Australia with Paul Harris, a very well-respected music educator from the UK who has created a plethora of truly excellent resources for teaching sight reading, scales, aural skills and so forth, and whose mission in life is to help teachers take a more holistic approach to the study of music and the instrument they teach.

In his presentation he had a line about not asking students what they thought of their own performance in the lesson "because students will always say, 'I was rubbish'". The first time Paul said this I made a note to chat with him about it after the session, but I forgot, and in our second presentation he of course relayed this same line. I had to interrupt him and explain that in Australia if you ask a student how they thought they played they will almost certainly say "I think that was pretty good". Australian kids just seem to think they are doing an OK job (irrespective of the truth) just as much as UK students will think they are doing a rubbish job (irrespective of the truth). All the teachers at the workshop agreed vigourously - they had NEVER heard of a student talking about their work as being "rubbish". Paul was ASTOUNDED. I've subsequently talked with other teachers from the UK I know and they completely agree with Paul - UK students will talk themselves down, partly in an effort to prevent the teacher from doing so, apparently.

Just thought I'd share this anecdote about this particular cultural difference...

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne
Just thought I'd add this to the thread: Chris is an unbelievably lovely, thoughtful and generous man.

Elissa, thank you for sharing your perspective with us! I'm going to stick with this point of view as I play his pieces. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission