Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1870824 - 03/30/12 05:24 AM String Orchestra work, premiered in Seattle last Autumn.
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
If you remember, last Autumn, I was on my way to Seattle. My work Superabimus was being premiered by Octava Chamber Orchestra, directed by Johan Louwersheimer

I was lucky enough to get video footage of the performance but I had to wait until the score was published. Now that everything is set, we prepared a semi-montaged video of the premier and I'm very happy to present it to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5y964hPza8

Orchestra: Octava Chamber Orchestra
Conductor: Johan Louwersheimer
Concert Master (though ill at that time and unable to make it to the stage): Matthew Weiss (a wonderful violinist).

I'd like to think of this work as one of my most approachable in aesthetic terms, where the dissonances, while present do not fully bother and there is melodic material to be found.

Feel free to comment anything! And thanks for reading and watching and listening.

No piano in this one... heh...

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1873486 - 04/04/12 05:11 AM Re: String Orchestra work, premiered in Seattle last Autumn. [Re: Nikolas]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
Congratulations Nikolas,
on having your composition, performed and commissioned by Octava Chamber Orchestra in Seattle. And wonderful that you were able to travel from your home country to attend.

I've listened to your composition here , "Superabimus' , a few times over the past week. If I was to talk to you in person over a coffee (:) good idea), there are several things I'd enjoy to ask you about your experience with this piece.

I wonder how it sounds and feels to you , listening afterwards, to this recording of an ensemble playing and performing your composition.
I am intrigued by your piece. It draws me in to a musical awareness and play that touches familiarity.

This is a very fine composition,
I look forward to hearing more of your ongoing explorations.

#1874083 - 04/05/12 09:24 AM Re: String Orchestra work, premiered in Seattle last Autumn. [Re: Nikolas]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
That's a very interesting piece. It's definitely dramatic and very well crafted. There are parts where the strings don't sound entirely in tune and I suspect the harmonic language may have proven a challenge. Where there's a stronger sense of tonality it sounds good and where it's very dissonant it sounds fine, it's the in between parts that sound off to my ears. Call me crazy.

#1874106 - 04/05/12 10:11 AM Re: String Orchestra work, premiered in Seattle last Autumn. [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Hey guys!

Thanks for listening and for posting! smile

Dara: The first time I heard an orchestra playing a work of my own was back in 2006 and it simply felt STUNNING! I already had the means to listen to the work through the computer, but I don't compose through the computer at all (use pencil and manuscript) so it felt a little like a surprise and a little like a dream coming true.

The same happens everytime I hear an orchestra play one of my works, or a soloist for that matter. Here with Superabimus things were even more 'upped'. This was the first piece that I got commissioned after completing my PhD in composition, so it was a sort of 'YAY!!!! I'm free' kind of thing. So my feeling got a bit mixed up with composing this. On the one hand it's not as advanced aesthetically, as other works, on the other hand it's a labour of 'true love'.

I wish I knew you were close by when I visited the States. I could've met you in person. Perhaps next time! ^_^

#1874107 - 04/05/12 10:13 AM Re: String Orchestra work, premiered in Seattle last Autumn. [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Steve: I hate to admit it but you're right! And it's the slow parts that did the 'damage' more than the fast parts actually. The quantplets (however you spell that work) work just fine and just as expected! The slow passes though... hmmm... The concert master was missing from the orchestra as well (being ill unfortunately... And in very much pain that night! :'( ) so perhaps this has something to do with it all.

So... you're not crazy at all! And your hearing works perfectly fine I think.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
17 minutes 44 seconds ago
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
58 minutes 27 seconds ago
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
Today at 09:05 AM
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
Today at 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 04:49 AM
Who's Online
144 registered (Alexander Borro, angga888, ajames, accordeur, AndresD, 38 invisible), 1492 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158468 Topics
2327131 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission