Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1870878 - 03/30/12 09:18 AM New Kawai CA93 with issues
scriabinfanatic Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
My new CA93 sounds great, but after some hours of playing on it, there are two issues that bother me with it...neither one of which I noticed when trying out a demo CA93 before buying. I wonder if any other CA93 owners have noticed these things, or if there is something wrong with my CA93.

1. In the second-from-the-highest octave on the piano, the notes in the middle of that octave -- i.e. around F, F#, G, G#, and A -- are disproportionally loud/bright. If it was an acoustic piano, I would say that the hammers need voiced (pricked with that needle tool thingy) on those notes. But this issue affects all the different piano sounds on the CA93 in the same way, so I am guessing that it is something to do with the speaker system. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a parameter in the CA93 for equalizing individual notes -- just broad Low/Mid/High controls.

2. My two favorite piano sounds on the CA93 -- the default Concert Grand and the Studio Grand (first one) -- have a subtle anomaly in the sound envelope of one of the keys when striking that key with medium-high or higher force. Almost immediately after striking the affected key, the volume of the sound envelope abruptly stairsteps down a small but noticeable (to me) amount. The affected key is the A above middle C in the Concert Grand and Studio Grand. Which makes it a more serious problem, because that note is right in the heavily-used area where so often you want to sing out a melody. It breaks the continuity of the melody line to have that jarring little volume attenuation right after the initial attack in the note's sound envelope. It almost sounds like what you would get on a real piano if the damper on that note were quickly falling to a half-damped position over the strings after the note is struck. So to avoid this issue, I find myself reverting to using my third favorite piano sound on the CA93, which is Concert Grand #2. Unfortunately, that is a DISTANT third in my preferences.

Edited by scriabinfanatic (03/30/12 09:52 AM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1870966 - 03/30/12 12:25 PM Re: New Kawai CA93 with issues [Re: scriabinfanatic]
Amateur Jerry Offline

Loc: Mokena, Illinois
Scriabinfanatic,

I have found the same symptoms on my new CA63 (delivered this week).

For the brightness I have been trying to adjust the EQ and the touch to hopefully mellow that out. At first I thought it was me because my old Clavinova had stiff action and I thought I bottoming out on the CA63.

Regarding the stairstepping, I notied that in one of the voices, I can't remember which one. As you alluded to the dampers, I have been playing with Damper Resonance

One of the issues I am struggling with is when I record my playing, replay, and then press the stop button, the keypad becomes unusable. I have to power down and re-start. That I REALLY don't like. I am re-reading the manual to see if there is something I am doing wrong.

KAWAI JAMES: Do you have any ideas?

#1871175 - 03/30/12 08:25 PM Re: New Kawai CA93 with issues [Re: Amateur Jerry]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: Amateur Jerry
One of the issues I am struggling with is when I record my playing, replay, and then press the stop button, the keypad becomes unusable. I have to power down and re-start. That I REALLY don't like. I am re-reading the manual to see if there is something I am doing wrong.

KAWAI JAMES: Do you have any ideas?

Are you using the internal song recorder, or recording WAV/MP3 audio to a USB memory device? Regardless, the instrument obviously should not 'lock-up' in this way.

Please check that your instrument is using the latest software (currently v1.09) by holding the 'ORGAN', 'HARPSI & MALLETS' and 'STRINGS' buttons simultaneously while turning on the instrument. Even if you are running the latest version, it may still be worth applying the update to clear the memory. Software updates can be downloaded from the Kawai Japan website at the URL below:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/updates.html

If the update does not resolve the issue, please contact the dealer from where the instrument was purchased to file a servicing request.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1871249 - 03/30/12 11:55 PM Re: New Kawai CA93 with issues [Re: scriabinfanatic]
Amateur Jerry Offline

Loc: Mokena, Illinois
Kawai James; I reloaded the s/w, and the recorder has been functioning. For now the lock up problem appears to be solved.

scriabinfanatic: I have spent all evening looking into the stair stepping problem. What I have found that when I have the Effects on a Room 1 or 2 setting with a longer Delay depth & time the stair stepping is present. When I change the effects to Hall 1 or 2 or Stage and lower the Delay settings the problem dissipates.

I still find around A6 to G6 the sound is a little louder & brighter than what I am accustomed to hearing. It may just take some time to get used to. Otherwise, I believe the piano is really worth the money. I am extremely happy with the touch and feel and the overall tone is very close to the acoustic Kawai's. When wearing my Sennheiser's, it sounds like an AP in many respects. My piano is in a small room, so not having the sound system of the 93 is not that much of a problem, and I am headphones about 75% of the time. Hope the stair stepping dissipates for you. The Concert Artist series is very enjoyable to play.

#1871250 - 03/30/12 11:59 PM Re: New Kawai CA93 with issues [Re: scriabinfanatic]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Amateur Jerry态thank you for the update - I'm glad to hear that reloading the software resolved the recorder hang-up.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
91 registered (Akshay, 36251, ando, Almaviva, anotherscott, 28 invisible), 1230 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153572 Topics
2250709 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
8 minutes 46 seconds ago
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
28 minutes 57 seconds ago
On Temperament strip muting, and other things
by Mark Davis
Today at 05:08 AM
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
Today at 04:41 AM
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
Today at 01:00 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission