Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 145 of 238 < 1 2 ... 143 144 145 146 147 ... 237 238 >
Topic Options
#1868198 - 03/25/12 12:05 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

My first posting today is "Symphony No. 4 in B flat Major, Part 1" by Michael Haydn. It is performed by the Slovak Chamber Orchestra under the direction of Bohdan Warchal.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1868202 - 03/25/12 12:10 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

My next post is "Malaguena" by Ernesto Lecuona from the Suite Andalucia. Thomas Tirino is the solo Pianist.

#1868211 - 03/25/12 12:24 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

My next post came about through a delightful set of unexpected discoveries and coincidences. It is the "Requiem Mass in D Minor" by Gabriel Faure. I happened to be listening to another work by Faure on the radio the other night and remembered Recaredo's and Rossy's postings. I decided to explore more of Faure's works and discovered this beautiful choral work. Folks who follow my postings on RST know that choral music is every much a part of my personal music history as is the piano.

Here is the Requiem presented by the Oxford Schola Cantorum chorus and the Oxford Camarata Orchestra under the direction of Jeremy Summerly.

#1868217 - 03/25/12 12:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

My final selection today is another choral piece. "Chariot Jubilee" is a composition of Afro-Canadian composer Nathaniel Dett. It is based on an old African American spiritual, "Swing Low Sweet Chariot." AimeeO and I did a segment last autumn on the music of Dett if you want to explore further.

Here is Chariot Jubilee performed by the Nathaniel Dett Chorale of Toronto.

#1868219 - 03/25/12 12:33 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

That's it for me today. I'll be around today to check in. I'm looking forward to hearing from others. Right now, It's brunch time followed by piano practice. Off I go.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

#1868264 - 03/25/12 02:10 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
piRround Offline

Loc: Yarmouth, Maine

Today's rainy, cold and gloomy....back to a normal early spring, I guess. We had a couple of beautiful, even hot!! days last week.

#1868277 - 03/25/12 02:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
You've done it again, Griffin! I'm barely over BB King and John Lee and you hit me with this selection.

I have just finished enjoying Michael Haydn's symphony. It makes one wonder why his brother and Mozart stand so tall, doesn't it? It's clearly later than than anything from the Mannheim school and it shows that he is well able to handle keys. It could easily be mistaken for anything by the other two yet he and his contemporaries, eg. Salieri and Vanhal, walk so far behind.

#1868282 - 03/25/12 02:47 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Griffin, It's nice you have remembered Michael Haydn. That was a beautiful symphony.

Fauré’s Requiem is an impressive work, where the death is treated sweetly. It’s a really moving piece of music.

I also enjoyed “Malagueña”. I’m glad you finally found a good version on Youtube wink.

I still remember the excellent posts that you and Aimee made about Nathaniel Dett. Thanks for posting his music again, Griffin.

Hey Sandy, that was a good music!. I enjoyed that trumpet playing with five pianos. I had never heard such combination. Very good posting!

My website

#1868588 - 03/26/12 07:00 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Just found this today, Tracey emins desert island discs with sue lawley...

Interesting..

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1868619 - 03/26/12 08:08 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
Griffin, I LOVE Faure's Requiem. I have the EMI recording. Nice to check others out.

Rossy, thanks for the Emin. Did you hear Anna Ford's last week? The Jamie Cullum one this week was funny (though I'm not a fan). He said he'd failed piano grade 4, and decided not to take a piano to his desert island!

#1868635 - 03/26/12 09:00 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Eglantine, I had never heard the Requiem or any of Faure's works until last week. I've played the Requiem several times since then.

Richard and Recaredo, I have also been amazed at how Michael Haydn's compositions oftentimes take a back seat to his brother and Mozart. I will be posting more of his music in the future.

Recaredo, I chose the Malagueña because the quality of the You Tube recording was the best. I'm still planning to go with your suggestion because I like to listen to variety of interpretations of this magnificent piece.

Rossy, I just sent a PM. I will be around today. I will probably do a post later. However, I have to have some quality piano study time today. My piano lesson is coming up later this week. I'll check in later.

Have a good day!

#1868645 - 03/26/12 09:18 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Hi, Griffin, the Haydn symphony was my favorite, too and have never heard it before.
A bit OT, but too embarrassed to ask other than here - does anyone recognize this piece? It's so simple, yet peacefully beautiful. I feel like I should know what it is but don't, eek! (and ,yes, it's the background music to the Knabe website).

http://www.knabepianos.com

#1868681 - 03/26/12 11:12 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Sorry I can't ID that, piano joy.

#1868876 - 03/26/12 05:25 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The night skies are wonderful at the moment. Around nine o'clock we have in Ireland a gorgeous view of Venus, Jupiter and the crescent moon in the west and Orion slighly to the south gazing directly into my front door as he prepares to fade from the winter skies.

Where I am in the Wicklow hills there's very little light pollution and even my tired old eyes can enjoy a glorious Andromeda through a pair of 10x50's. After debating Art and Forgery with the eponymous hero of our thread last night I spent a few minutes doing just that. Orion and company had already gone to bed at that stage.

It's at times like this, looking into the night sky, that Beethoven's Adagio floats round my head. It's as if my head is up there in the vastness of space.

Kempff's version is preceded here by the short Scherzo; the Adagio starts at 2:40. The last two minutes is sheer bliss.

#1868971 - 03/26/12 09:24 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Eglantine, sorry I missed Anna ford, I really like her as well, I will be so happy when the BBC has all their back catalogue online, which is slowly happening with DID!!

Griffin, Onto the PM tonight at some time.

Pianojoy: I dont recognise the piece either, but there is a contact form on their website, you could try asking on the contact question form? worth a try.

Zrtf90, The Moon in its first quarter looks impressive with venus and jupiter, and I get to see it really well on these clear nights, did you spot Jupiter and venus with the last full moon?
That was really something.
The way our neighbours roof is angled, venus and jupiter set parralell to the roof, I should get my video cam out and take some footage or at least a few stills.

it was so clear last night I could count the individual stars in the pleiades, which is a rather rare occurance as it is usually too cloudy.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1869079 - 03/27/12 04:20 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Rossy, I tend to follow the planets as soon as they appear in the evening sky until they disappear again. I had the thrill a couple of years ago of seeing Mercury and Venus together through a friend's eight inch Celestron.

Yes, I saw them with the full moon but I'm too old now to enjoy the night sky with a full moon. My pupils won't open wide enough to see anything else of interest so the crescent is a much more beneficial experience.

I can onyl jsut see wlel engouh ot tyep!

#1869083 - 03/27/12 04:37 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Deary me, quick before any one notices, Please can you specify what "a friends 8 inch celestron" is?

#1869084 - 03/27/12 04:41 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It's a large Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope with computer controlled 'goto' functionality. About £2000.

#1869114 - 03/27/12 07:28 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
It's a large Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope with computer controlled 'goto' functionality. About £2000.

ah, yes, of course, who doesn't know that?

smile

#1869123 - 03/27/12 07:49 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There was me and a small boy in outer mongolia who obviously doesnt get out much, Now that I know what it is I have to do five things:

( a.): decide if I need one. ( unlikely unless planet nibiru is real)
(b.): if the answer to (a.) above is "Yes" check ebay out for 99p BIN mispelled items.
(c.): write a letter to the boy in outer mongolia explaining what he has been missing,and apologise for his misfortune, blaming it on western decadence or a wayward camel.
(d.): start an exclusive club for the six people who did know what it was, quickly before Patrick Moore dies of asphyxiation due to the waistband of his pants strangling him.

(e.): remember not to get richard to explain what technical stuff is, it didnt help.

relax and write a note to self... self when you are older do not let the waistband of your pants get ridiculously high, it looks silly before the armpit area is reached.

I vote chris linton to take patricks place when he exits this mortal coil for the base on mars.

Edited by Rostosky (03/27/12 07:53 AM)

#1869132 - 03/27/12 08:13 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

You don't need one! I apologise for dropping the name so casually but anyone with more than a passing interest in astronomy would be familiar with the name. The owner in question is a retired ship's captain who has lived his life by the stars and I have more than a passing interest in astronomy.

Yours humbly,

PS. I second the Chris Lintott vote!
PPS. I saw Sir Patick playing cricket in my youth. As a nation we've watched him grow old. His life story has much to wonder at.

#1869137 - 03/27/12 08:31 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Richard old bean, My Grandfather was Skipper of the steam driven sidewinder trawlers, stella carina, stellla by starlight, stella dorado, stella leonis,stella polaris,
to name a few and some of the "cape" series .

He sailed in Arctic waters, Iceland, bear island etc, and I can seriously assure you he did not possess an eight inch celestron.

My grandfather lived his life by the stars too, in the days when there wasnt even shipping forecast except for that sent by morse code from Norway for the immediate surrounding area.

These were the days when radio sets to receive and transmit morse had to be rented by the skipper if they could afford them, and if they were qualified with radio telecomunications licence to operate them, fortunately My grandfather could and was, respectively.

Both me and pianojoy were teasing you over the eight inch thingy!!! sorry should have said , sometimes we tease each other relentless here!!! It doesnt mean anything except we love you!!

I love patrick moore regardles of my concern about his trousers, he is an institution, a good one, from days long gone ,a true gentleman, polite, and mannered.

Chris does seem the logical choice, and I like him a lot he is enthusiastic.

#1869140 - 03/27/12 09:01 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, Richard!
I don't know what Rossy is talking about , I was serious...I really MEANT "who doesn't know that" !

sorry for the mixup .
BTW, you (Richard) write like a poet, love reading your posts!

#1869146 - 03/27/12 09:07 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

And there was me thinking he'd mis-spelled 'celestion'.... Which would have been a wonderful name for an esoteric Victorian musical instrument. But is in fact only the name of a UK brand of loudspeakers.

#1869148 - 03/27/12 09:09 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I feel the love, Rossy, my own post was tongue in cheek.
I've had nothing but fun since I got here, even when battling dragons (no names, no piano tips) as I'm sure you have yourself.
btw, love the 'e)dit' it in you post. LMAO.

Piano joy, thank you so much!

#1869178 - 03/27/12 10:23 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi everyone! I'm just dropping by for a few minutes before I have to get to work. I'm glad my other half doesn't read this thread. He has an interest in astronomy and could develop a celestion envy complex because he doesnt have a telescope! laugh

Richard, I loved the Beethoven selection. Lovely!

BTW, it's a good thing we did our sky watching here a few nights ago when we could see Jupiter, Venus and the first quarter moon. It's been completely cloudy here ever since.

Rossy, I got your PM. I will respond later.

Anyways, I'll leave you with this performance by Mike Oldfield, "Song of the Sun." I'll check in a bit later when I have time for a break at work.

Edited by griffin2417 (03/27/12 10:25 AM)

#1869307 - 03/27/12 03:58 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Good evening, gentlefolk!

Griffin, I am as enamoured of your selections as I am of my own! Thank you for the Mike Oldfield. I don't have that one; I must check it out.

Not much else to say tonight, methinks.

On the other hand...

This was on in the car today. The Songs From the Wood album was my first Tull concert and they sold out in days back then. Ian Anderson became something of a hero of mine, musically. After The Beatles and Pat Benatar, Jethro Tull are the only other act that would prompt me to buy everything they released without question.

A pibroch is usually played at funerals other dismal, dull affairs and is typically variations on a lament. This one is a sad tale of thwarted love.

I have very little Scottish blood but I've always loved the sound of the bagpipes. They're not used in this piece but their characteristic drone is very present from the opening bars. And it's said PEA-broch for any non-Scots; it rhymes with the Scottish Loch - a good clearing of the throat is required.

Ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, I bring you...a band of strolling players...
<puts cap on head, turns and walks away>

#1869384 - 03/27/12 06:28 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Palestrina's Lamentations.

#1869449 - 03/27/12 09:19 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Eglantine]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What I love most about this thread is that one minute your listening to 15th century Italian counterpoint, and the next your listening to 21st century Canadian indie rock.

#1869620 - 03/28/12 05:05 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

WOW dudes and dudettes! YES , i shouted... becasue in the liddle of the night , just like Griffin predicted we hit a MILLION views!!!!

one million, who would have thought it? And its all down to TJ,
so a big thank you to TJ, for telling me to get my own thread!
After he didnt quite understand my humour, and we argued a bit, but then did doing being friendly because thats best.

And I wish him back to full health as quick as possible.

And with that....

Page 145 of 238 < 1 2 ... 143 144 145 146 147 ... 237 238 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (ajames, AndrewAJC, Abby Pianoman, A Guy, 39 invisible), 1688 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75385 Members
42 Forums
155848 Topics
2288520 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 1
by neuralfirings
07/14/14 09:56 AM
Axus DPs?
by LarryShone
07/14/14 07:50 AM
Single: Every Moment With You (Orchestra Version)
by Darkreach
07/14/14 07:04 AM
Heal The World - Michael Jackson Piano
by Phuc Pham
07/14/14 05:00 AM
Lorin Maazel (1930-2014)
by bennevis
07/14/14 05:00 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission