Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 149 of 236 < 1 2 ... 147 148 149 150 151 ... 235 236 >
Topic Options
#1871873 - 04/01/12 09:36 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Good morning everyone! There have been some fantastic postings on this thread! I'm still trying to catch up. Richard, we must have posted about the same time.

Piano Joy, when is dinner? I like my filet mignon cooked medium. LOL I gave you a little trumpet music to start dinner with. You can't go wrong with this second course for music. Here is Yo-Yo Ma performing the second movement of the Cello Concerto No.2 in D by Franz J. Haydn.

Enjoy! I'll be back shortly with my other Sunday Classical music postings.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1871878 - 04/01/12 09:46 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
piRround Offline

Loc: Yarmouth, Maine
This describes today here in Maine perfectly. Sorry about the background but it's a pretty setting.

#1871881 - 04/01/12 09:50 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
hawkwind from 1972 with the "amazonian" (6ft 2) Stacia.

Silver machine...

OMG, I saw Hawkwind in the mid-70s at Friars Aylesbury! I think I was 15.

Edit: It must have been the Space Ritual tour.

Rossy, you should check out the fan site for Friars. Lots of old stuff there about Mott and Ian Hunter etc. It was the most excellent venue(s). (They moved in the 70s, but it was great both places, the management remained the same.)

Edited by Eglantine (04/01/12 09:59 AM)

#1871882 - 04/01/12 09:54 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

I've decided to go ahead with my original plan and share another selection by Michael Haydn. Here is the Divertimento in G Major performed by the Slovak Chamber Orchestra under the direction of Bohdan Warchal.

#1871888 - 04/01/12 10:07 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: cheechako]
Eglantine Offline

Originally Posted By: cheechako
Odd jukebox... all I wanted was some Jimi Hendrix.

There have been a few good covers of various Hendrix. (I have a whole collection, good and bad!) This is definitely a good one. Kronos are great.

Factoid: Hendrix, in London, lived for a time (1968-70) in the house that was Handel's home for many years, on Brook Street. The Georgian building went into decline in the latter part of the 20th C, and was recovered by a benefactor who brought it back to life.

#1871893 - 04/01/12 10:22 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: polyphasicpianist]
Eglantine Offline

PPP, I love the Muppets being rick-rolled! (Or doing the rick-rolling) I hadn't seen it before.

#1871896 - 04/01/12 10:29 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: piano joy]
Eglantine Offline

Originally Posted By: piano joy
I'll be cooking filet mignon, homemade mashed potatoes, salad + yeast rolls for dinner. Griffin, appropriate music, please?

(not that I didn't enjoy previously posted, esp. the "excellent wind")

Piano joy, wasn't the wind wonderful? Was this perchance the first ever appearance of an oboe (?) in pop?

I forgot to name-check Phil Mazanera in that Roxy clip. Sorry Phil. But hey, there was a whole world of musicians-who-would-influence-the-world in that clip.

I'm feeling the filet mignon. But having overdosed on Welsh lamb on Friday night, I am still in recovery...

#1871903 - 04/01/12 11:00 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Eglantine and Piano Joy, all of this talk about food is making me hungry again. How's a guy supposed to do his classical postings when he can only think of mouth watering filet mignon, Welsh lamb, perhaps with some asparagus or artichoke hearts ... Argggh!!! I must cook now. I've posted enough classical music to hold you until it's time for desert!

Later!

#1871904 - 04/01/12 11:02 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
We did post simultaneously, Griffin, but don't worry, I regularly look back and did indeed catch the trumpet concerto (and the other place for dinner).

Sandy, what's with boats in Maine? I saw one crabbing at 1:48 and thought it was odd. Then at 3:58 there's another doing the very same thing! Great Sunday morning mood, though!

Phil Manzanera and Andy Mackay were at my sisters wedding, Eglantine. Alas, on the groom's side. I didn't really get to meet them.

Such a range of styles and moods; it's quite exhausting.

Here's another emotional offering to mark the start of Passion Week, made more poignant by the accompanying scenes. Humanity thrives on the twin towers of experiencing and of sharing such emotion.
It cleanses and purifies the soul and is itself uplifting.

I dare say, this too will soon be followed by something light and lively. Isn't this a great thread? The whole gamut of emotions, times of day and seasons of the year in one place!

#1871927 - 04/01/12 12:00 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Half of Roxy Music were at your sister's wedding? Oh, but, missing the all-important important Mr Eno!

Just now, I'm mainly listening to Mr Nyman's - ahem - 'reinterpretations' of Purcell and Croft. Nyman basically lifted a whole lot of 'grounds' from Purcell (and Croft too, after a re-attribution) to make his soundtracks for the movies.... The Draughtsman's Contact, A Zed and...

I say, fair play, he took it all and made it his own, after a fashion. And that's what 'grounds' were about.

I loved those movies (back in the 70s/80s): the sound was given the weight it deserved. Visually stunning, but audio fantastic too.

#1871929 - 04/01/12 12:09 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Now that I've had a chance to eat, here is another Sunday offering. The Fugue in G minor BWV 578 by J.S. Bach. The organist is Ton Koopman.

#1871930 - 04/01/12 12:12 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

And just look at their WIGS!

#1871960 - 04/01/12 01:37 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
piRround Offline

Loc: Yarmouth, Maine

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
Sandy, what's with boats in Maine? I saw one crabbing at 1:48 and thought it was odd. Then at 3:58 there's another doing the very same thing! Great Sunday morning mood, though!

I think they were just pleasure boats hoping to cash in on a free concert! Looks like they didn't stay long, I'd guess the acoustics weren't great!

The Adagio was beautiful. When I lived in Portland (Maine) I used to go to the Easter sunrise concert that takes place on a bluff with a stunning view of the bay. Usually put on by members of the Portland String Quartet, I think.

#1871989 - 04/01/12 02:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
cheechako Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
To the best of my knowledge, no one has posted anything By brian ferry, unless I forgot something from ages ago...

Anyways, the silkiest sexiest song ever for seducing the girlies me thinks? Slave to love of course!
most excellent beat.

Cool. I almost responded with In Every Dream Home a Heartache - another good one for seducing the girls - at least the inflatable ones. smile

But it is April 1st, a.k.a. April Fools day. A couple of old SNL clips seems appropriate:

And, since there was a mention of Eno in the last page or so, why not one more clip. Perhaps one of his best known works:

Happy April 1st, everyone!

Edited by cheechako (04/01/12 02:48 PM)

#1871997 - 04/01/12 02:52 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
Eglantine Offline

Originally Posted By: griffin2417

Now that I've had a chance to eat, here is another Sunday offering. The Fugue in G minor BWV 578 by J.S. Bach. The organist is Ton Koopman.

Hi Griffin, curious that the intro to the piece says BWV 574 (not 578)... but it does appear to be 578.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Johann_Sebastian_Bach

Different key.

Bach is,of course, the 8th wonder of the world!

#1872003 - 04/01/12 03:02 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
KeemaNan Offline

Loc: UK

Ton Koopman is a fantastic organist, harpischordist, conductor and all round top bloke ! He has also worked tirelessly to revive the reptuation of Dietrich Buxtehude, who Bach himself regarded as the master. He has been working on a project to record the complete works of Buxtehude, which will no doubt be the definitive edition. This may already be complete.

#1872007 - 04/01/12 03:10 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Gosh, yes, Eglantine, what a noise in the world Eno made with Bowie and Hunter!
(Did you change the link for the Draughtsman's Contract?)

Thank you, Griffin. I'd only heard TK on the harpsichord until now.

Cheechako, I did calligraphy with Frank Zappa's sister-in-law, Joyce Teta.
I was directed to You Tube to catch your Cocker & Belushi video, great fun! In the sidebar I caught this clip from Joe Bonnamassa.

"Woke up dreaming I was gonna die", my goodness, the man exudes Blues. With ambassadors like this the Blues will never die!

#1872010 - 04/01/12 03:17 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Yes, I did. The first one had no visuals.

#1872014 - 04/01/12 03:21 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: cheechako]
Eglantine Offline

Originally Posted By: cheechako
To the best of my knowledge, no one has posted anything By brian ferry, unless I forgot something from ages ago...

Anyways, the silkiest sexiest song ever for seducing the girlies me thinks? Slave to love of course!
most excellent beat.

Cool. I almost responded with In Every Dream Home a Heartache - another good one for seducing the girls - at least the inflatable ones. smile

But it is April 1st, a.k.a. April Fools day. A couple of old SNL clips seems appropriate:

And, since there was a mention of Eno in the last page or so, why not one more clip. Perhaps one of his best known works:

Happy April 1st, everyone!

Oh noes!

On a better note... Eno and Another Green World. Famous also, as the theme tune for Arena on the BBC.

#1872041 - 04/01/12 04:06 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

But my preferred Eno is the collaborator. For example, his work with Slowdive. A much under-rated band that has stood the test of time.

#1872051 - 04/01/12 04:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Eglantine]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Eglantine

Hi Griffin, curious that the intro to the piece says BWV 574 (not 578)... but it does appear to be 578.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Johann_Sebastian_Bach

Different key.

Bach is,of course, the 8th wonder of the world!

Thanks Eglantine! I suspect this is one of those situations in which the original YouTube post person did not have a copy editor cross check things. I can relate -- probably all of us. smile

Edited by griffin2417 (04/01/12 04:37 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#1872063 - 04/01/12 04:48 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: hawgdriver]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: hawgdriver -- on page 7
... can anyone in this erudite circle identify a band that has covered this Eno gem, and identify three reasons anyone should care?

142 pages later, and I'm still breathlessly waiting for any takers...anyone? Bueller?

Fine. It's Head of Femur. (regarding the band; there are no reasons anyone should care)

Oh, right...the cover:

#1872072 - 04/01/12 05:05 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
cheechako Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
Eno covers? How about Bang on a Can?

(Perf: September, 2011)

#1872078 - 04/01/12 05:10 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
sehr schoene

#1872339 - 04/02/12 04:19 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Right dudes and dudettes, Its totally full on feel good time this morning, so just in case anyone has forgotten this brilliant piece, here is is....

Steve harley, And "Mr.soft" love the bass, love the vocals, its just fun, but at the time,everyone talked about it because they didnt know what the F it was about.....

"Life gets tedious enough without this extra grudge to bear"

Just listened to this three times now...and 40 yrs after first hearing it, I have no clue what its about!!!

Edited by Rostosky (04/02/12 04:21 AM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1872353 - 04/02/12 05:29 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Phew, Richard. I'll have to study all those roman numerals.

#1872377 - 04/02/12 07:30 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CaptainKawai
I'll have to study all those roman numerals

It's not as daunting as it sounds!

If you're working in C you have C-Dm-Em-F-G-Am-Bdim or I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-vii. We tend not to use vii much in western harmony because of the dissonance. We prefer to add a major third underneath giving us the dominant seventh). Once you're familiar with the six or seven numbers it's easier to relate each number to the FUNCTION of the chord within the key you're in without having to consider the key itself.

If you stayed with chord names instead you'd have to learn twelve majors, twelve minors and how they relate to each other in the particular keys in which they might simultaneously occur. Now THAT to me is daunting.

If you're talking about Em in the key of C, it's iii but in the key of G it's vi. If the function of the chord is more important than the name it's better to use the number.

In discussing I Want to Hold Your Hand, the main progression finishes on iii (it's actually B7 rather than B minor [III instead of iii] but that's a colouration outside diatonic harmony and won't make understanding what's happening any easier). You don't normally finish a progression on iii (or III for that matter). It would normally end on the tonic itself (I) or on the dominant (V) which leads to tonic.

Lennon and McCartney finish with it hanging in the air without an obvious path home. This is a challenge that requires skill, craft and imagination to bring it to a satisfactory close. When you hear the harmony in their voices reach a peak at the end of the second line - 'Oh, yeah, I'll tell you something, I think you'll undertsand, When I'll say that something I want to hold you HAND' - it's not obvious how they're going to come back to tonic. It's incredibly exciting.

By saying they're on B minor or B seventh doesn't really convey the functionality of the chord choice (unless, as I say, you're aware of the functionality of all the chords in all the keys) so saying it's iii makes more sense.

Roman numerals, or RN's, weren't designed to make music harder. They were designed to make it easier despite a minor outlay invested in learning them.

Thanks for reading, CaptainKawai. It's nice to get some feedback. I don't know whether my ravings are OTT and just ignored or if they're enhancing the listening experience. For myself, I genuinely weep _every time_ I hear Beethoven's Seventh or the entry of the fourth theme in Liszt's B minor sonata, for example. Knowing what's happening helps me enjoy the experience more.

#1872394 - 04/02/12 08:17 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Richard you are putting the "serious" back into Rostoskys serious thread!! lol.

Okay dudes and dudettes, I thought of this a little while ago, then forgot again...

Please check these next two out to see if I am going insane, is this where parisean walkways was lifted from, or just a co-incidence....

not the chorus, just the verses...

And the guitar in this......

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1872403 - 04/02/12 08:42 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: zrtf90
Originally Posted By: CaptainKawai
I'll have to study all those roman numerals

It's not as daunting as it sounds!

If you're working in C you have C-Dm-Em-F-G-Am-Bdim or I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-vii. We tend not to use vii much in western harmony because of the dissonance. We prefer to add a major third underneath giving us the dominant seventh). Once you're familiar with the six or seven numbers it's easier to relate each number to the FUNCTION of the chord within the key you're in without having to consider the key itself.

If you stayed with chord names instead you'd have to learn twelve majors, twelve minors and how they relate to each other in the particular keys in which they might simultaneously occur. Now THAT to me is daunting.

If you're talking about Em in the key of C, it's iii but in the key of G it's vi. If the function of the chord is more important than the name it's better to use the number.

In discussing I Want to Hold Your Hand, the main progression finishes on iii (it's actually B7 rather than B minor [III instead of iii] but that's a colouration outside diatonic harmony and won't make understanding what's happening any easier). You don't normally finish a progression on iii (or III for that matter). It would normally end on the tonic itself (I) or on the dominant (V) which leads to tonic.

Lennon and McCartney finish with it hanging in the air without an obvious path home. This is a challenge that requires skill, craft and imagination to bring it to a satisfactory close. When you hear the harmony in their voices reach a peak at the end of the second line - 'Oh, yeah, I'll tell you something, I think you'll undertsand, When I'll say that something I want to hold you HAND' - it's not obvious how they're going to come back to tonic. It's incredibly exciting.

By saying they're on B minor or B seventh doesn't really convey the functionality of the chord choice (unless, as I say, you're aware of the functionality of all the chords in all the keys) so saying it's iii makes more sense.

Roman numerals, or RN's, weren't designed to make music harder. They were designed to make it easier despite a minor outlay invested in learning them.

Thanks for reading, CaptainKawai. It's nice to get some feedback. I don't know whether my ravings are OTT and just ignored or if they're enhancing the listening experience. For myself, I genuinely weep _every time_ I hear Beethoven's Seventh or the entry of the fourth theme in Liszt's B minor sonata, for example. Knowing what's happening helps me enjoy the experience more.

Thanks for the music theory lesson, Richard!
Your "ravings" are always appreciated, although, some of us....require a dictionary at hand to fully make it through your posts! What was that word you used in another thread? " lugubrious " Am I the only one who does not regularly use this word while conversing? Perhaps.... smile

(teasing)

#1872418 - 04/02/12 09:20 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
griffin2417 Offline

Good morning Richard! I just finished reading your post and found it very informative. It was also a reminder for me of my need to bring out my music theory book I purchased last year. smile

I just wanted to let you know that I definitely read your posts in which you do some analysis, and say what excites you about the music you are experiencing. I find that very useful. I truly appreciate it when you and others do that because I often gain some new insights about music.

It's unlikely that I would do it myself, however. Why? I guess it's just not one of the things that I enjoy writing about. I think it has more to do with where I'm at with music at this stage of my life. I suspect that after I retire in a few years I might feel different about this.

Anyways, I guess this was just a long winded way of saying I certainly enjoy reading your posts.

Page 149 of 236 < 1 2 ... 147 148 149 150 151 ... 235 236 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
174 registered (accordeur, acortot, A Guy, 36251, 47 invisible), 1811 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153544 Topics
2250255 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Learning Myths...
by evamar
2 minutes 28 seconds ago
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
Today at 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
Today at 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission