Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 10 of 25 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#1336805 - 12/30/09 04:11 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Legal Beagle]
LimeFriday Offline

Loc: Australia
I've been lurking for a while now... and I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 37 - and I have played the organ since I was 8. But in my late teens I decided to learn piano as well - I was tired of just fiddling around with pieces. I had lessons for a couple of years - but my father got sick and I was too busy with family stuff to continue. After he died I got sick myself and my music went on hold again. But a couple of years ago I have come back to it with a vengeance! I love playing... and I love teaching. I have taught organ - but I'm working toward my teaching qualifications on piano now.

The forums are brilliant - and I look forward to participating more in the future!

LimeFriday

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1336921 - 12/30/09 10:12 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: hudduk78]
maria82 Offline

Loc: England
my name is maria, i am 27 and live in england.
i am married with 3 children aged 6, 3 and a 7 month old.
i have loved piano's all my life and have always wanted to play. this year i have brought my first piano which is a yamaha. I am just learning by myself as much as i can while being extremely busy with 3 children.

#1336954 - 12/30/09 11:02 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
xuanyun Offline

hello everybody!
i'm new too. in fact i've just created my acc a while ago. grin

well like everyone else i have my own story. i used to hate the piano like crazy when i was little. like i didn't want to learn at all and my parents sorta.... coaxed me to continue. and i did. but i've never liked it. however i "grew up" a little and stopped complaining and instead became a robot-like pianist and just attended my lessons and stuff. my sister's a great player hence my parents assumed i'd love to play too. well when i was 12, i told my mother i don't want to continue anymore, that i HATE it. at that time i was taking two courses together: YAMAHA and ABRSM. but i kinda enjoyed yamaha because i had a friend there but AB is one-to-one individual work. so i told my ma i want to discontinue my AB and go on with my yamaha. my mother wasn't happy about that. she thought it is a waste because she THOUGHT i love it but haven't REALISE it. but i really hated it. and she kept saying i never told her i don't like it, seems like she really did forget i used to cry whenever i see the piano teacher coming. haish.... confused and i still continued with the yamaha course. until when i was halfway through 13, i didn't want that anymore too, because the only friend i had there had stopped too. so i didn't attend anymore lessons.

later when i 14, about June, i suddenly decided i wanted to continue. i know. it's that mysterious. i suddenly felt like i wanted to do THIS right. and i had another teacher to teach me. she taught me the Trinity grade 6 course. i didn't 100% enjoy the lessons too, half practised and half didn't. but that teacher was cute and let me play nice songs and i liked her. unfortunately she had to leave for somewhere else and i changed another teacher. that teacher let me start ABRSM grade 7 and i really loved it then. i started that around march 2009. and just november 2009 i suddenly decided ( i know... i make strange decisions all the time) that i wanted to sit for the grade 8 practical exam. ok, i haven't taken an exam since grade 2 and haven't picked up on my techniques and scales for ages. but i felt that this is the right time to start and i can prepare for the exam before August 2010. hence i changed a teacher (i thought i had to find a better one) and now i'm 15 and "on the way" with my grade 8 syllabus. it is not that hard (well it is QUITE hard lol!), just needs a lot of technical practice.

i'm so grateful i found this really fine teacher who knew how to help me manage and gave me lots of extra lessons. oh, and to all those out there who are also preparing for your exams, GOOD LUCK!!!!

#1339786 - 01/03/10 11:50 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
John_Charles Offline

Allow me to introduce myself - my name is John Charles. I studied classical piano from age 6 to 14. I kept up my repertoire throughout high school which consisted primarily of Chopin waltzes, polonaises, nocturnes as well as selected works by Schumann and Shubert. I stopped playing in college during my mechanical engineering studies. In my professional life as an engineer, I played minimally. WHen my mother passed away in 2002, I gave the family Kholer and Campbell console to my nephew who is taking lessons.
I have recently taken up the piano again - I purchased a Yamaha type U-10 studio upright and converted the guest bedroom of my condo into a music studio. I found an excellent teacher in the music department of the university and take lessons weekly. I am currently working on building back finger independance and technique. I'm working on the Rach prelude in g-minor (op. 23, #5) which is a challenging piece for my re-entry I admit - now that I've committed most of the piece to muscle memory I am working on polishing it and increasing the tempo to 1/4 = 107 from 1/4 = 80 which is the speed I can currently play it fairly flawlessly. Has anyone played this piece and if so, are there any words of advice with respect to practicing it? Also, if anyone has had any experience with soundproofing a room, please share - now that I'm playing again, my neighbors have made several comments about the "noise". I'm looking at several different acoustical insulating material systems, some of which are actually rather atractive. I don't want to tear down any existing structure unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you for welcoming me into the website and I look forward to sharing.

Thanks!
John Charles

#1339936 - 01/03/10 02:39 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: John_Charles]
BlueBKLYN Offline

Loc: NYC
Hi, I'm new to the forums.

I was classically trained from age 3 to 14, when I ran out of teachers in the small town where I lived. I self-studied until college. I was allowed to study with my school's music professors, even though I wasn't a music major.

It has been 10+ years since I've had regular access to a piano, but I have just purchased a Yamaha digital piano and I plan to play regularly again. I have no plans for lessons at the moment, although that could change.

Also, I'm a runner. grin

#1340751 - 01/04/10 05:18 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: BlueBKLYN]
Connieuitsu Offline

Loc: Norway
Hello.
My name is Connie, I'm 22 and from Norway.
I've been playing the piano since I was about 16 - when I started studying music at high school, and I got my first piano (an el-piano) when I finished high school so that I could continue playing.
However, I haven't been playing much the last couple years, but lately I've wanted to pick up on it and get back on the notes. Hehe.
I'm currently a hairdresser apprentice, and have too many hobbies for my own good. :P
I love playing music - playing the guitar, piano, singing, making my own music and do covers. I listen to music all the time.. and I Mean.. ALL the time.. even when I sleep. Ridiculous really. Can't live without it smile
I've recently started to love reading - which I didn't like at all before. Funny. And that has also made me start to write my own book. It's going pretty slowly, but that's because I choose to write only when I WANT to wink
Other than that, I like drawing, and sometimes painting.
And I do appreciate a good film every now and then smile

I hope that this forum will keep my motivation and inspiration to keep on playing the piano smile

-Connie

#1344700 - 01/09/10 12:00 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: hudduk78]
Uncle George Offline

Loc: FL, USA
I am an old man who came back to the piano after more than 40 years of neglect - no technical excercises, no scales, no proper study of repertory -playing only now and then.

Approaching retirement and with arthritic fingers, I decided to learn to play again: four years ago I began with dear old Hanon and shortened scales. I have made more progress than I ever expected. I have no idea of the level at which I am now playing, somewhere in the intermediate range I immagine: Chopin' Minute Waltz, fast and clear, light touch, little pedal, and Schubert Impromptu in E Flat - same approach as with the waltz. I have also learned a number of other pieces (Mozart, Beethoven, Schumann, Albeniz, Scarlatti, Galuppi, Poulenc, Debussy, etc.), but I have no idea as to their level of difficulty. I have never taught piano so I cannot properly evaluate the pieces. I actually remember much of what I was taught, but it is quite a different thing to put it into practice. Takes time!

This Forum will certainly teach me a great deal and I hope to contribute to it as well.
Thanks and glad to be here.

UncleGeorge

#1347772 - 01/12/10 03:00 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Uncle George]
sorstudy Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Hi,

I'm starting lessons this Thursday for the first time in a long time. I had lessons when young, but I hadn't lived with a piano for about 20 years until a got one a few years ago that was donated through a church where I was singing (a Poole upright from 1925 that was originally a player piano).

Hope the first lesson goes well. Guess I'll play Aveu from Schumann's Carnival Op. 9 for my teacher (the one of two pieces that somehow stayed memorized during my 20 year hiatus since I played it whenever I happened to sit at a piano). My goal is to take lessons throughout the year and practice 1 hr each day.
Scriabin op. 11, #9, #13
Chopin op. 28, 15
Bach Prelude in D BWV 936

#1348121 - 01/12/10 10:23 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: sorstudy]
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Congratulations on starting music lessons everyone and welcome to Piano World Pianist Forum. Don't by shy. Feel free to post comments, and questions in the main forum.

John

#1348457 - 01/13/10 10:14 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
D4v3 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Hi,

I've been playing the piano off and on for about 15yrs, more off than on. I have had about 4 years of lessons.

I want to be concert pianist level some day, and practice for 3 hrs a day (it's all I can do what with work and all).

Im currently taking lessons again and am playing/ working on:

* Chopin Etude Op 25 No 2
* Scriabin Preludes Op 11 Nos 2, 4, 14, (24 maybe)
* Grieg Notturno / Sailor Song
* Czerny Etude Op 740 No 50

Some of my compositions

#1348482 - 01/13/10 10:57 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: D4v3]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
Hi

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1349141 - 01/14/10 01:44 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
ChopinEnthusiast Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hey there. I'm a new user, and saw the invite to reply so I thought I'd introduce myself a little. My name is Aaron and I'm an undergraduate student pursuing a piano performance major and am studying classical performance and jazz performance. I joined the forum to get to know some other people who are pianists or otherwise and learn more about the instrument and the career. I'm not entirely sure how this forum works so any pointers from anyone to discussions about technique, interpretation, and style would be really helpful!

#1349142 - 01/14/10 01:48 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: ChopinEnthusiast]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Welcome! I'm pretty new here too, despite my obscenely high post count ha .....it's not hard to get started. Just look around at the topics -- judging from what you mentioned, maybe the "Pianist Corner" section would be best (that's where you are right now) -- look for topics that seem interesting, click on them and see if you want to say anything.

Seems like you'll do fine. smile

By the way, here's a link to the main page of this section, in case you don't know how to find it:
Pianist Corner

#1349143 - 01/14/10 01:51 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: John_Charles]
ChopinEnthusiast Offline

Loc: Maryland
John - The prelude in g minor is really a beautiful piece and working on it is such a pleasure. I'm curious to hear what some of your interpretations are. I'm working on it myself right now, I played it before and am now working through it again to gain a better interpretation and improve certain technical issues. The way I've been practicing it is to alter the tempo and basic rhythm as this allows the mind to be opened to new interpretations of the melody which can really be ambiguous at times. You may have already done this but I'd suggest practicing at different dynamic levels than written in addition to experimenting with alternate rhythms. If its a new interpretation that you're going for, these ideas helped me immensely. I'm curious how you interpret the rhythm as far as the initial theme goes in respect to rubato and flexibility of rhythm. I've heard several differing opinions on this piece, some say to rigidly stick to the prescribed time values but a flexible interpretation seems so much more emotionally charged to me. Any suggestions?

#1349146 - 01/14/10 02:02 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: ChopinEnthusiast]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Hi and welcome!

You might be interested in this thread . I think you will enjoy it! smile

I wish I had more time to read all threads here, but time is a big issue with me...

Welcome to PW, Chopin friend!

CA

Music is my best friend.

#1356370 - 01/23/10 02:32 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
ben321 Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Hey, I'm a new member!

I was just wondering if anybody knew of any schools that have application deadlines that have not passed. I'm just finishing up my bachelor's in piano-performance and am now looking to get a masters degree. Thanks!

#1357358 - 01/24/10 08:57 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: hudduk78]
RayE Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY, USA
Another new member here, well I've been playing piano since I was 8 and I'm 49 now. Mostly since H.S. I've been playing Jazz and Popular music, I've once again become interested in playing classical music again, and just found a teacher (a graduate Student at the Eastman School in Rochester, NY) to help me with technique. I need the lessons because I know I'm playing with too much tension and it's taking it toll on the joints of my fingers. I also think there is a benefit to having a teacher and paying for lessons that will inspire to to practice regularly. I play other instruments including guitar, and trombone (I'm a retired Army Reserve Bandsman), but piano is the instrument I have the greatest competence on, and I'm looking to improve on that even more. This looks like a great forum to discuss various aspects of piano playing and I'm looking forward to participating.

#1358989 - 01/26/10 10:16 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: RayE]
DaleC Offline

Loc: US
Just found this forum today and have already spent way too much time reading! I studied piano for many years and after a 20+ year hiatus, have started to play again. I play mostly classical, and am currently entralled with Bach transcriptions. Looking forward to participating in this forum.

DaleC

#1360981 - 01/29/10 02:47 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: DaleC]
Btaylor25:17 Offline

Hello Everyone! I am new to this forum and just thought i might give you all a bit of background on me.I got into this website after reading Grand Obsession by Perri Knize(a brilliant book by the way). I'm 17 years old and have been playing piano for a few years now. I used to play the guitar, but once i conquered the ability to play any jimi Hendrix, jimmy page, Robert Johnson etc. I basically got bored. and so i moved to the piano which has proved much fun for me in it's awe-full difficulty to master. Chopin is my favorite composer due to his complexity and his romantic dynamics. Glad to meet you all!

#1362023 - 01/31/10 03:22 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Btaylor25:17]
Googlism Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I'm sort of new, even though I joined in 2002 =p I posted a ton from 2002-2005 but disappeared thereafter...until now laugh

Can't remember what age I started piano but I remember I played for 5 years and did nothing with it. I then discovered the love of classical music when my teacher introduced me to Alla Turca. After that I pretty much went berzerk with the piano, jumping from Rachmaninoff to Chopin to Liszt, entering several competitions in my school and winning 1st place and scholarships several times.

I cannot remember why I joined Pianoworld, but I do remember learning a ton about pianos from all the piano gurus in the subforum next door =p

"... It is a skill you go on learning all your life: the more you write, the more you learn."

Harry Freedman on the craft of composing

#1367425 - 02/06/10 07:21 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Googlism]
qtpi Offline

Loc: Hockessin, Delaware
Hello everyone,

I have posted occasionally and would like to introduce myself. I am a 55-year-old married RN with 2 kids in college. My piano is a Kawai RX-2. I did not have formal lessons until age 25 and it has been on and off since then, but I always loved music and played our piano at home as a little girl. I also love music theory would like to have the time to spend on composing. I play flute in a concert band and have also played trombone, trumpet, baritone horn, clarinet, drums, and guitar-folk and classical. A friend just lent me an oboe so I am teaching myself to play that and will start with an adult beginner's band on oboe on Friday- CAn't wait!!!On the rare occasion I have been paid to play(differing instruments) never made more than $50 a gig, but it is my fun, so I don't care!

I confess to not being constant in daily practice- but am hoping to change that!!!! The only thing I have memorized is Fur Elise and half of Chopin's Farewell Waltz. I am using Czerny OPus 299 to warm up as I would like to increase my speed a bit. I am crazy about Beethoven, love Romantic, Baroque and Impressionistic music the best. I also play some popular music- like Lennon's Imagine- and some Irish tunes.

Kathy

#1368166 - 02/07/10 08:26 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: hudduk78]
Yeong Offline

hi , i've been an ear player for quite some time playing piano , i'm a relative tune type ear player . i do not know any scales , or how to write music , or things like A-minor blah blah blah . i only know how to press keys and create nice dynamics that are very unique . i've come here to learn more about piano , although i do not exactly play a piano , i play a keyboard (yamaha DGX 220) . someday i would like to own a piano . thanks for reading .

#1370251 - 02/10/10 02:18 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
La Pianiste Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Hey ho, everyone! *extends miserably small hand*

I'm new girl here, but I've been lurking about, prowling the posts for a little while, and I've finally decided to join. Nice to meet you guys and hope we'll have some interesting discussions in the near future! grin

#1370316 - 02/10/10 03:36 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: hudduk78]
Vitalii Offline

Hello! My best dream (since my childhood) is to have a REAL PIANO!!! Once I tried to play my friends piano and I was charmed by the instrument! But the biggest problem is that I have not enough money to buy it(it costs about 300$).
The only pleasure is to read about other's pleasure and imagine playing the piano. Would you help me?
I will thank you greatly for 1$!
My wallet:z340140997648

#1370379 - 02/10/10 04:42 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: La Pianiste]
Sms231 Offline

My name is Scott. I am 29 years old, and I'm a lurker. It's been six months since I started lurking, and I'm making my first post today.

I've always been musically inclined ever since I was little. Music has always come naturally for me. I sang at church and was involved in all types of church music events.

I've always had an interest in the piano, and I've even had lessons at three different time periods of my life. However, I just wasn't disciplined enough to take the time to practice. I mostly blame myself, but in retrospect, I can remember disliking the material I had to play (John Thompson's Book 1, Alfred Adult Piano, etc.) because it didn't interest me and I got bored with it. I did semi-learn one or two pieces (the intro and first part of The Entertainer and the first part of Fur Elise, both of which I can still play from memory today, albeit badly), but overall had given up on lessons. As time progressed, I became a "church player", playing the chords off the guitar sheets to accompany the music team as a backup.

A few months ago, I became exposed (via YouTube) to the works of Bach by means of his work Well-Tempered Clavier. I've even been able to play the first Prelude (C Major), and I can play the first few measures (hands seperately) of the Prelude In C# Major. If I would've been exposed to this work earlier, I'm sure I would have kept up with my lessons.

Since I just completed my BS in Computer Science, I have a lot more free time on my hands, I had thought about starting lessons again. Since I work for a community college, I had thought about taking lessons there, especially since I don't have a piano or keyboard at home. I can utilize the practice rooms on campus however, so being able to practice is not an issue, and being that my job gives me 24-7 access to campus, I'm not restricted to selected availability like a normal student is.

My ultimate goal is to play for my own enjoyment. I love my field, but it can get extremely stressful at times. I don't have any grand delusions of being able to play before thousands of people. I just enjoy classical music and want to be able to play some of my favorite composers (Bach, Joplin, Czerny, Beethoven, Chopin, etc.).

smile

#1372973 - 02/13/10 08:21 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: pianovirus]
Up Offline

New member alert!

I'm from the little peaceful country Norway, in Scandinavia north-west of Europe. I'm a male person, born in 1990, and started playing at 17 years old... I know, it's late... I'm also a dancer and Norwegian Champion in Bboying("Breakdance"). I know, it's a funny combination.

My story starts, when a friend of mine downloaded some Yann Tiersen music, that he had heard in a Break-show...I fell in love with the piece comptine d'un autre été, from the movie Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain. So I started learning it by ear, on a keyboard(NOT a Digitalpiano), with no pedal, and like 65 keys or something. Didn't need more. That was around April 2007. It took me about a month to learn it, and then I started learning some more music from that Amélie Poulain(Le Moulin, La Valse de Amelie and La dispute. Then I bought myself a Casio Privia PX-110 digital piano, which has been the best investment in my life. Then I tried some VGM, and I learned Piano Squall's arrangement of Tetris, Kakariko Village from The Legend Of Zelda - Ocarina Of Time(dont judge a book by it's cover), and To Zanarkand Piano Collection from Final Fantasy X(Another "book").

Then I for real fell in love with Those Who Fight, from Final Fantasy VII Piano Collections. I started practising it 13th april 2008, 2:30 in the morning, and memorized the last note 9th desember 2008. I know, thats a long time, but I was not at a high level! But then I was playing for real. Living of dance, and playing music by hobby, that's what I do. But I started High School in music last autumn, so I'm hoping to live of music when my spine is to bad for dancing (I have spondylosis).

When I started school I got a really good piano Teacher, so now I have started to also play classical music. I Play Chopin waltz 19, no.17 op.posth pretty good now, and I'm working on Gondola Boat Song Op 30 No. 6 by Mendelssohn. I have a long term project on the side, which I'm also working on, which is Rigoletto Paraphrase by Liszt, which is a really inspiring piece(But damn those Descending Chromatic Thirds!). One day around 2 weeks ago I learned the first part of La Campanella by Liszt, but I'm not going to start on the hard stuff before I'm done with Rigoletto.

Fore those of you who is judging me for playing pieces like the Gondola song and Chopin Waltz 19, but trying to play Rigoletto and La Campanella, my motto is "Nothing is hard, but some goals requires allot of time to achieve" smile
But I gotta admit, those Chromatic thirds is... time consuming. eek

Edited by Up (02/13/10 08:27 PM)

#1372979 - 02/13/10 08:30 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Up]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Up
New member alert!
I'm from the little peaceful country Norway, in Scandinavia north-west of Europe. I'm a male person, born in 1990, and started playing at 17 years old... I know, it's late... I'm also a dancer and Norwegian Champion in Bboying("Breakdance"). I know, it's a funny combination.....

Welcome! And I think it's all a funny combination -- I don't know how many people are into both breakdancing and classical piano. ha

But I think it's great.

Plus, being a country's champion at anything is great too. Even being the runner-up would be great, or 10th best for that matter. I think my peak was when I got 2nd prize in something. smile

Norway seems like a beautiful and interesting place.......hope to get there some day.

#1372997 - 02/13/10 08:54 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Mark_C]
Up Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Welcome! And I think it's all a funny combination -- I don't know how many people are into both breakdancing and classical piano. ha

But I think it's great.

Plus, being a country's champion at anything is great too. Even being the runner-up would be great, or 10th best for that matter. I think my peak was when I got 2nd prize in something. smile

Norway seems like a beautiful and interesting place.......hope to get there some day.
Thanx! And I didn't even mention my great knowledge for Energetic materials and chemistry and my Speed-ball-skills(Paintball). smile
I have also actually inspired two other Norwegian bboys to start playing the piano, which is kinda cool. laugh

#1374379 - 02/15/10 04:35 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Up]
aristharcus Offline

Loc: Oviedo, Spain
Hi, I’m a new member living in Oviedo, Spain.

I studied music and piano when I was a child and a teenager (from 7 to 17 years old). In Spain, the official studies for piano were based in an eight courses plan. I successfully completed six courses with the highest grades and then I went to the University. After playing in a pub for some months to earn some money I left piano playing.

In 1982 I suffered a neurological condition that left me with some reduced mobility, affecting my right arm and leg. This affected my abilities for playing piano, of course. Even so, in 1991 I bought a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-360 that I played until 1996. Then for other circumstances in life, I left playing piano for 14 years.

But last November, maybe spoiled by observing people playing in Youtube, I decided to start again. It was not easy: Reading notes for the left hand was difficult and the fingers from my right hand moved really bad. I decided to establish a goal for April, 2010: If I were able to play two classic compositions for that date, I would buy a new piano. The compositions were:

- Pachelbel’s Canon (using an easy version)
- Chopin’s Nocturne Op.9 No.2

Back in November it seemed like playing the Nocturne would be an impossible task: I wasn’t unable to read the notes outside the pentagram for the left hand and the accords were not easy. Meanwhile, my fingers in the right hand needed to learn to move for playing well the keyboard. “I think I’ll save money”, I was thinking then smile

After two months and a half, playing daily about one hour the Nocturne is almost learnt, and it sounds good! (Pachelbel’s Canon is not complete but I used it as an “Etude” for reeducating fingers)

Well, now I know that I’m able to play this Nocturne, although my right hand is pushed at its limits in some passages. My left hand is able to play at least the first one minute of Chopin’s Revolutionary Etude (my right hand uses a simplified version for now) and I’m absolutely happy of being come-back at piano playing. It’s something of a dream made true.

Last Saturday I ordered a new Yamaha CLP-370 PE, but as they say, this is another story for another post smile

Edited by aristharcus (02/15/10 04:36 AM)
Chopin’s Nocturne Op.9 No.2 (final polishing)
Chopin’s Nocturne Op.27 No.1 (about 25% of it)
Chopin’s Waltz Op.69 No.2 (about 15% of it)

#1374574 - 02/15/10 11:18 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
vasarino Offline

HELLO. I'M NEW. INTERESTED PRINCIPALLY IN BACH, MORE PARTICULARLY NOW, TRYING TO LEARN AND MEMORIZE THE GOLDBERG VARIATIONS. HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE FINGERING AND HAND CROSSINGS. IS THERE HELP OUT THERE?

Page 10 of 25 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (AmateurBob, Almaviva, 36251, 45 invisible), 1650 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153604 Topics
2251263 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
clavinova clp 115
by rochoula
1 minute 19 seconds ago
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
Today at 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
Today at 07:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission