Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1874902 - 04/06/12 09:09 PM CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces?
Brooke Johnson Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the piano, and just about finished with CPE Bach's Solfeggietto. I was just wondering if anyone has any pieces to suggest that are similar to this? Thanks.

Mendelssohn - Rondo Capriccioso Op.14 is such a lonely tale.
Rachmaninoff - Prelude Op.32 No.10 is the theme to my life right now.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1874923 - 04/06/12 10:18 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
Brooke Johnson Offline

I'm sure that some of you very knowledgeable pianists have something to say smile ...it'd surely be appreciated smile

Edited by Brooke Johnson (04/06/12 10:28 PM)

#1874937 - 04/06/12 10:49 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
PianogrlNW Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I played Solfeggietto when I was a kid. Another great piece I have from that era is Rhapsodie by Maxwell Eckstein. It's available on Sheetmusicplus.com. It was billed as an advanced piano composition for small hands but I would put it in the same league as Solfeggieto. It has a high reward/effort ratio and is fun to play.

#1874940 - 04/06/12 11:02 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
Brooke Johnson Offline

Thanks, PianogrlNW, I like that piece, but I was just wondering if you know of any more pieces similar to Solfeggietto that have less of an emphasis on chords? Haha, not to be rude, because don't get me wrong, I like the piece a lot; I'm just a little uncomfortable playing a bunch of chords as of now.

#1874948 - 04/06/12 11:15 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
In other words, you would like pieces with running lines like that one. Perhaps the second and fourth Impromptus from Op. 90 by Schubert would be up your alley. They are longer, though.

#1874951 - 04/06/12 11:23 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
Brooke Johnson Offline

BDB, yes, perfect! Thank you!

Anyone else who has any more pieces to recommend on top of that would be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks,
Brooke

#1874964 - 04/06/12 11:57 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
PianogrlNW Offline

Originally Posted By: Brooke Johnson
Thanks, PianogrlNW, I like that piece, but I was just wondering if you know of any more pieces similar to Solfeggietto that have less of an emphasis on chords?

Are you serious about knowing this piece? Because it does not emphasize chords. Just curious about your response.

#1875134 - 04/07/12 11:38 AM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
Wombat66 Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
Hi Brooke
How about other works by CPE Bach or his Dad? the Inventions, Peludes or fuges - all of which tend to be fairly light on chords.
Mozarts sonatas aren't big on chords and K545 and K279, to mame but two in C, have lots of runs.
Why not get a piano teacher and discuss your likes and needs with them? or if you cant afford/ dont wish to pay for a teacher, simply download some scores from IMSLP and see what you like.
I think PianogrlNW, that Brooke was saying that Solfeggietto doesn't have much emphasis on chords and they want the names of similar pieces.
Personally I find it very hard to recommend music for other people to learn. It is quite a committment (for me at least) to learn a new piece, and as far as choosing music goes it's, a bit like looking for a bottle of wine or a girlfriend - even the one's that aren't completely to your taste are often good fun to try. So just get stuck in, and if you don't like it, ditch it and move onto something else.

#1875140 - 04/07/12 12:04 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Hi Brooke,

Which of the 3 CPE Bach Solfeggiettos have you mastered?

1. H220
2. H221 in A Major
3. H222 in Eb Major

I've had a close look at H220 (1) ... which looks like a merry chase (Prestissimo) across the keys ... are you wanting to up your finger dexterity?

Kind regards, btb

#1875152 - 04/07/12 12:22 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: BDB]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Hi,
I'm relatively new to the piano, and just about finished with CPE Bach's Solfeggietto. I was just wondering if anyone has any pieces to suggest that are similar to this? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: BDB
In other words, you would like pieces with running lines like that one. Perhaps the second and fourth Impromptus from Op. 90 by Schubert would be up your alley. They are longer, though.

That's an awfully big jump in repertoire!
Managing Director, Northern Lights Music Festival

#1875155 - 04/07/12 12:26 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
BDB Offline

But it does clarify what Brooke wanted.

#1875170 - 04/07/12 01:02 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: DameMyra]
PianogrlNW Offline

Originally Posted By: DameMyra
Hi,

Originally Posted By: BDB

That's an awfully big jump in repertoire!

I agree that Schubert Impromptus require more experience to play. How about Bach Two Part Inventions?

#1875185 - 04/07/12 01:43 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
dsch Offline

Loc: florida
I think that prelude 21 from wtc1 has a similar feel although it's much happier in spirit.

#1875324 - 04/07/12 08:46 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
Brooke Johnson Offline

Sorry for the late reply!
Wombat66 - I can play bits and pieces of Bach's works (primarily the preludes and fugues), but can never manage to get through them. I love Solfeggietto, as it has the same kind of feel but isn't as difficult. And I've tried out Mozart before, lol, I just can't seem to get into his music. It has too much of a happy vibe for my liking. Oh, and I love IMSLP! smile

btb - The piece that I am (almost) finished with is the first one you listed, Solfeggietto H220. And yes! I just love pieces that have long runs in that particular style, if you know what I mean.

DameMyra - Well I've been playing since earily April of last year. I caught on pretty quickly, but soon stopped playing after a few months, and haven't really played the piano since. So technically I guess you could say that I'm new to it. I was moving too fast because I got way too excited with all the pieces, and began playing works that were beyond my level both technically and musically. Among these works were Beethoven's Pathetique, Chopin's Raindrop Prelude (I managed to play that rather well), and a few other pieces that I eventually became frustrated with and stopped playing. Now that I'm back, I thought that I'd maybe go a little further back while still being able to play the music of the composers that I like, you know? I'm just sorta stuck on what to play because I love Bach's style...it's sorta creepy haha, and I like it.

PianogrlNW - Yeah I was sort of thinking that too. And I do like Bach's Two-Part Inventions! I was just sort of unsure if they are good to play for my level. What do you think?

I know that this is off topic considering the music that I'm looking for, but I really like Tchaikovsky's "June - Barcarolle" from his seasons collection. What do you think about my playing that...it doesn't seem too difficult, and it's surely a lovely piece, and I'd like to try it out. But I'm just wondering if it has more depth than what I'm seeing?

Thanks, guys. And if you have any of CPE Bach's of J.S Bach's works for my level to recommmend with the same kind of feel as Solfeggietto, that'd be wonderful too! I certainly appreciate it!

Brooke

Edited by Brooke Johnson (04/07/12 09:20 PM)

#1875376 - 04/07/12 11:52 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
Brooke Johnson Offline

Oh yeah, and how about Mendelssohn's Rondo Capriccioso Op.14?

#1875422 - 04/08/12 02:33 AM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
BDB Offline

You can play any piece that you want to if your technique is good enough. You do not need anyone else's permission to learn it.

#1875425 - 04/08/12 03:00 AM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
For the moment the OP is perfecting linking hands in a one-note scramble across the keyboard ... but hasn’t come to next hurdle ...
the ability to sight-read and play separate hands on TWO staves.

The work to fill the new adventure is likely to be framed on a one-note scramble (well, andante at the start) with hands apart.

My suggestion would be Mendelssohn’s famous Opus 38 no. 6.
going by the name of DUETTO (3 pages).

#1875576 - 04/08/12 11:30 AM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
Brooke Johnson Offline

Thanks, btb. I definitely need to work on my sight-reading...I've never been good at that.
BDB - I wasn't necessarily looking for permission but rather an opinion smile

#1875591 - 04/08/12 11:56 AM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Some of the suggestions given thus far(Duetto, Schubert Impromtus, Rondo Capriccioso, Mozart Sonatas) are IMO significantly too advanced for someone who has just learned Solfeggietto.

#1875592 - 04/08/12 11:57 AM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
pianoloverus Offline

double post

Edited by pianoloverus (04/08/12 11:58 AM)

#1875597 - 04/08/12 12:03 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
Brooke Johnson Offline

Thanks, pianoloverus! Do you have any pieces that you'd like to suggest then? smile

#1875627 - 04/08/12 01:19 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
pianoloverus Offline

Thanks, pianoloverus! Do you have any pieces that you'd like to suggest then? smile
The Bach Two part Inventions seem appropriate. I would listen to them on Youtube and choose the ones that appeal to you.

#1875643 - 04/08/12 02:09 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
I would also suggest the Beethoven Sonatina in G and some of the easier Clementi and Diabelli Sonatinas.
Managing Director, Northern Lights Music Festival

#1875675 - 04/08/12 03:09 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
You might enjoy some of Johann Burgmüller's music, available on IMSLP (Op. 100 I think).

#1875730 - 04/08/12 04:58 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
Brooke Johnson Offline

Thanks. I also like Rach's Prelude Op.32 No.10, but that seems too advanced.

Man I am way too impatient. I just want to play all of these beautiful pieces now!

#1876639 - 04/10/12 05:43 AM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
Albany Offline

Loc: France
Try these works by JS bach :

Prelude et fugue BWV 895
Prelude et fugue BWV 899
Prelude et fugue BWV 900
Prelude et fugue BWV 902
Prelude BWV 924
Prelude BWV 925
Prelude BWV 926
Prelude BWV 927
Prelude BWV 928
Prelude BWV 929
Prelude BWV 930
Prelude BWV 933
Prelude BWV 934
Prelude BWV 935
Prelude BWV 936
Prelude BWV 937
Prelude BWV 938
Prelude BWV 939
Prelude BWV 940
Prelude BWV 941
Prelude BWV 942
Prelude BWV 943
Fugue BWV 951
Fugue BWV 952
Fugue BWV 953
Prelude BWV 999

#1876961 - 04/10/12 05:33 PM Re: CPE Bach - Solfeggietto and similar pieces? [Re: Brooke Johnson]
schwaa Offline

How about Shostakovich's Prelude Op 87 No 2? It also has a single melody line shared between the hands. Much tougher than Solfeggietto though.

The sheet music is not on IMSLP since Op 87 is still under copyright, but it's available from at least one Russian publisher. I found mine on Amazon.

Edited by schwaa (04/10/12 05:51 PM)
Edit Reason: to mention that the prelude is only the first minute of the video

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (bennevis, adultpianist, Atrys, bharatbash, bunno, 15 invisible), 1134 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250104 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
04/17/14 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
04/17/14 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
04/17/14 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
04/17/14 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission