2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 242 of 341 1 2 240 241 242 243 244 340 341
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee

2:29? You mean when I was playing in between the beats? My syncopated stylings are mostly from Herbie.

jw, crucial to any discussion is that all parties know the parameters of that which is being discussed. You need to listen to the boxnet file first to see if you understood what I was referring to. I doubt even Herbie would play that kind of stuff. Maybe Cecil Taylor, but probably not even him.

I'm looking forward to hearing Stella. Why not record it on your piano since you have a zoom? I'm still curious as to how that O sounds.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not sure if those of you outside the UK can access this but in 25 mins this program will go on the air:
"This week, Jamie is joined by bassist Dan Berglund and drummer Magnus Öström, of Swedish jazz group the Esbjörn Svensson Trio (or e.s.t), at the BBC's Maida Vale Studios.

Jamie talks to the pair about their influence on jazz around the world, the tragedy of losing their pianist Esbjörn Svensson, and their new release of unheard e.s.t recordings, entitled 301."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01f6kyw

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
i just heard that JM Pilc is going to start offering Skype lessons.

For all those on this thread, I'd also like to plug that both David Beeboss and Scott Coletta are giving lessons via Skype too.

I have nothing against Pilc at all. But given that we have 'local' talents here that are both endeavoring to make a living with music, and given that they have both contributed so much to jazz instruction on this thread, I'd be the first to recommend them as great instructors.
I'm also pretty certain that they'd be the last to point this out too.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for that Sceptical.
I should mention that I have long since given up any hope of making a living from music. Money is overrated I have heard.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
Originally Posted by knotty
i just heard that JM Pilc is going to start offering Skype lessons.

For all those on this thread, I'd also like to plug that both David Beeboss and Scott Coletta are giving lessons via Skype too.

I have nothing against Pilc at all. But given that we have 'local' talents here that are both endeavoring to make a living with music, and given that they have both contributed so much to jazz instruction on this thread, I'd be the first to recommend them as great instructors.
I'm also pretty certain that they'd be the last to point this out too.

Hey, one frenchie helping another, don't blame me ! ;-)
I think JM will be very successful with this. I wish those here a lot of success, too. On-line live lessons are a great way to go.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
I should mention that I have long since given up any hope of making a living from music. Money is overrated I have heard.

Hope isn't necessary. But an obvious link in your bi-line probably is. What happened to it? It was there a few months ago, no?
So, do you teach locally at all, or are you too remote for any students to seek you out?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here's my contribution. I cut Giant Steps short since I got repetitive. Comments welcome. Also interested in your comments on the feel of the backing tracks (which is BIAB).
Rhythmically you're more "on it", you don't lose energy in the playing (which most probably comes from you doing more live gigs), I think your swing has improved. But melodically I feel a bit lost. I would like to hear more of a development, more phrases, more sequences . . .
Of the two I prefer Solar.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by beeboss

Hope isn't necessary. But an obvious link in your bi-line probably is. What happened to it? It was there a few months ago, no?
So, do you teach locally at all, or are you too remote for any students to seek you out?

There came a point where I realised I was flogging a dead horse. I used to teach quite a lot at various colleges but both my parents are music teachers so I have a strong incentive not to follow in their footsteps.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
Here's my contribution. I cut Giant Steps short since I got repetitive. Comments welcome. Also interested in your comments on the feel of the backing tracks (which is BIAB).
Rhythmically you're more "on it", you don't lose energy in the playing (which most probably comes from you doing more live gigs), I think your swing has improved. But melodically I feel a bit lost. I would like to hear more of a development, more phrases, more sequences . . .
Of the two I prefer Solar.

Thanks Chris. Will analyze further in the context of what you said. Maybe I need to simplify.

It is very hard to do anything melodic on Giant Steps especially at a fast tempo. It's easy to get mechanical on it since your focus is just to survive...But that's the goal.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For those that like blues:

http://www.box.com/s/03c9e55e6ef43e5277a1

It's from an informal session with a bass player that I'm thinking of playing with.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Very nice Sceptical, somehow it sounds both old and modern in style at the same time and that is hard to do.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Very nicely done Scep.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah, +1 on that Scep.

Here's my oh so humble meanderings on Solar (w BiaB):
http://www.box.com/s/be7892a54b4192c174d5

I would like to write getting there but then again i'm not so sure about that.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Some good ideas going on their Chris, it sounds like you could keep it going forever and not run out of ideas. BIAB sounding good as well

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks guys! I found that playing with this new guy gave me some freedom that I didn't have when playing with my trio. I actually played with two different bass players that weekend and its remarkable how confidence and imagination can change depending on the players I'm with. With the other bass player I tried to do some stretching out, but it turned wonky pretty quickly.

So I've got a question for some of the pros/ ex-pros here:
What's your take on playing with others that are not on your level? Have you found that your playing really changes in significant ways? Does your timing become affected (like mine)?
Also, in recent years have you had the chance to play with others above your level? And if so, what was that like?
I haven't put myself out there (jam sessions, gigs etc) so I haven't had the opportunity to play with great players recently, and the last time I was playing with really good players I was too ignorant to know how mediocre I was. Thankfully I'm a bit more aware of my current abilities, although painfully so, but at least I can start to improve them now.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
For those that like blues:

http://www.box.com/s/03c9e55e6ef43e5277a1

It's from an informal session with a bass player that I'm thinking of playing with.

Really nice job! I really like your phrasing. You leave us wanting more.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah, +1 on that Scep.

Each time someone posts something on Solar I always go to the piano to see if it gets any easier. Unfortunately this is one tune that still alludes me for some reason.
Some nice stuff there Chris, I especially liked 2:32 (I think) where there are some nice arpeggiated things.
If I sent you some money would you get your piano tuned though? wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Really nice job! I really like your phrasing. You leave us wanting more.

Thanks JW! As for wanting more, well you may regret saying that:

http://www.box.com/s/7a474917319c8f61623e

Same bass player, with me tagging along with his band a few days ago. It was fun playing the Rhodes though.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

What's your take on playing with others that are not on your level? Have you found that your playing really changes in significant ways? Does your timing become affected (like mine)?

The experience can make me feel like a beginner again, but understanding the way that bad playing can destroy the music can be a huge learning experience, so even this playing is not wasted. It is not usually very pleasant though. At its worst there is absolutely nothing you can play that will sound good. I was just playing in an very amateur big band the other day with a drummer who just dragged everything - he made the whole band sound rubbish and there was not a thing anybody could do about it.

Also, in recent years have you had the chance to play with others above your level? And if so, what was that like?

Scary and humbling.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Yeah, +1 on that Scep.

Very nice Chris. I really like how you shape your solos and there's thematic development. It's something I haven't graduated to yet. Your rhythm is not so solid this round though (usually my problem smile ).

What BIAB style are you using? Sounds more old style and different from the one I was using. I think I was using "Bill Evans Trio" sometimes I used a something like a "Herbie Quartet". I thought it sounded more open.

My Jazz Blog

Page 242 of 341 1 2 240 241 242 243 244 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission