2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 243 of 341 1 2 241 242 243 244 245 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
Originally Posted by jazzwee

Really nice job! I really like your phrasing. You leave us wanting more.

Thanks JW! As for wanting more, well you may regret saying that:

http://www.box.com/s/7a474917319c8f61623e

Same bass player, with me tagging along with his band a few days ago. It was fun playing the Rhodes though.

First of all the band you're tagging along sounds really good. Very solid. The bass player sounds like my bass player when he plays All Blues. The drummer is awesome. They're really high end players.

And what's fantastic is that you are very much in your element playing blues. Really cool playing. I'm not that good at blues so I appreciate it when it is played well. You have very solid time here btw. You have none of the rhythmic wavering of long ago. That must be something that you've worked on. I'd say you moved up another notch here.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

What's your take on playing with others that are not on your level? Have you found that your playing really changes in significant ways? Does your timing become affected (like mine)?

Being on the early part of the jazz journey, obviously it is easy for me to find players better than me. In fact, as a general rule now, I hang out with better players and as long as I handle my comping and form right, it's cool. I'm not so concerned if my solo is too simplistic (I tend to simplify when intimidated).

I think the biggest effect on me has been my time and comping. If the group isn't solid, I'm focused on just surviving the tune and not enjoying the playing.

I'm scared of mixing it up with seriously heavy dudes because it everyone plays like Bill Evans Trio style, I may not be able to keep the form (because everything is so open and changes are often rhythmically displaced). So I'm not ready for that level. It would be exciting though to play at that really high level someday.

What I am not yet able to respond to is the "conversation" between the instruments. My ears have to grow. It's fun to observe that among better players though, like when they quote each other.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Scep that was nice! Slow blues is haaaard.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

First of all the band you're tagging along sounds really good. Very solid. The bass player sounds like my bass player when he plays All Blues. The drummer is awesome. They're really high end players.

Actually they're not really high end at all, but I think they play well together. The bassist and drummer are father and son so that may have something to do with how they approach time, who knows?
Originally Posted by jw

And what's fantastic is that you are very much in your element playing blues. Really cool playing.

I'm not sure I'm in my element yet, but have been working on the blues genre for the past little while because I've always felt that I was never doing it right. I'm still not convinced I'm doing it right, but at least I'm more comfortable these days.
Originally Posted by jw

You have very solid time here btw. You have none of the rhythmic wavering of long ago. That must be something that you've worked on. I'd say you moved up another notch here.

This I'm not sure about. I was asking earlier about what it means to play with those at your level, or below, because I'm thinking that for me if I'm unsure about what others are doing or about to do that I'll push the beat, and this results in timing issues. With the trio that I've been playing with the past year I've really struggled with trying to get the drummer and bassist on the same page, but I think it's not been overly successful. One main reason is that the bassist doesn't practice and has issues with memorizing tunes. Another reason is that I'm also trying to mold the drummer into a more modern player, in effect trying to straighten his swing and other things as well as to constantly remind him to listen to others when he plays. BUT in doing all this I'm feeling too much like a teacher when all I really would like to do is play.

But back to the timing issues...they're still there more than I'd like, but when playing with these new guys the stress was off of having me feel that I had to lead the tunes. I'm still also trying to rewire my brain to hear behind the beat as natural rather than in front of the beat.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
Scep that was nice! Slow blues is haaaard.

Thanks KK! I'm glad no one told me it was hard before I played it. I'm also glad no one took offense to the 32nd note stuff. I can't seem to just do swung eighths very well, so will gravitate towards fast streams of notes.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss

The experience can make me feel like a beginner again, but understanding the way that bad playing can destroy the music can be a huge learning experience, so even this playing is not wasted. It is not usually very pleasant though. At its worst there is absolutely nothing you can play that will sound good. I was just playing in an very amateur big band the other day with a drummer who just dragged everything - he made the whole band sound rubbish and there was not a thing anybody could do about it.

Were you on bass or piano?
Originally Posted by Beeboss

Also, in recent years have you had the chance to play with others above your level? And if so, what was that like?

Scary and humbling.

So did you rise to the occasion, or did your playing become less satisfactory to you? Also, what made you realize (or imagine) that the players were in fact better? Is it at all possible that they were on the same level as you?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

So did you rise to the occasion, or did your playing become less satisfactory to you?

Playing with good players makes you sound good. Playing the music becomes effortless and sometimes it feels like you can do anything and there is no possibility of it going wrong. The music is made collectively so when real communication and trust is possible the music happens so much better.

Also, what made you realize (or imagine) that the players were in fact better? Is it at all possible that they were on the same level as you?

What does it mean to be on the same level as a drummer or a bass player? Are you talking about experience or ability to hold the form or ability to play interesting lines or being able to transpose hard tunes at sight or the ability to play complex cross rhythms or the ability to sightread anything or the ability to play with taste or groove or creativity etc? Everyone has their own special talents I think, and it does't make much sense to think about people or music in that linear way, to me.

But there are times when I have played with other piano players who were on a completely different level than me. I played piano duets with Cedar Walton once for instance. No way could I match his bluesy swing, not even close.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
best time I've ever had playing last night. I joined this group of young gifted guys, all full time players. The bass player is particularly talented. I wasn't always sure where he was going. Many tunes played way outside my confort zone. I'll remember April at a good 300, and blues at a good 40bpm. I felt like I was flying.The drummer was on top of everything I was playing, switching feels, getting all my hits just right. Pure bliss. Whatever complaint I ever had about playing a DP, bad sound blah blah was completely gone last night.
On top of it, those guys were super nice, really into the music, the right attitude, and even insisted that I was playing great.

I have a small movie recording if anyone is interested, send a PM. Not the most exciting part of the evening, but at least you can see us a bit.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
best time I've ever had playing last night. I joined this group of young gifted guys, all full time players . . .

I have a small movie recording if anyone is interested, send a PM. Not the most exciting part of the evening, but at least you can see us a bit.
Cool story Knotty! It's by stretching oneself that one gets to know thyself.

Yes, please post or share the recording.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some good ideas going on their Chris, it sounds like you could keep it going forever and not run out of ideas. BIAB sounding good as well

Thanks. Yes those ideas keep coming . . . the timing however . . . shudder.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Each time someone posts something on Solar I always go to the piano to see if it gets any easier. Unfortunately this is one tune that still alludes me for some reason.
Some nice stuff there Chris, I especially liked 2:32 (I think) where there are some nice arpeggiated things. If I sent you some money would you get your piano tuned though? wink

Thanks Scep.
Please do send some money, I need a new amp too - oh and a spare tire to the car and . . .
laugh

A problem in this country is that the winter season is very dry. I use humidifiers, but this winter they were to no avail. My tuner told me to wait until Easter was over (it has snowed . . !) so I will get it tuned.
Promise.
Another issue is that my piano is tuned to 442 and BiaB is not tunable (fixed at 440) - I might try with a time-stretch (Logic, ProTools or even Amazing SD) but where's the time . . ?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very nice Chris. I really like how you shape your solos and there's thematic development. It's something I haven't graduated to yet. Your rhythm is not so solid this round though (usually my problem smile ).

Thanks. Melodic ideas and variations abound - maybe because I've composed so much music . . .
But my timing . . . it sucks. It seems the brain only wants to focus on one thing at a time whilst learning.
Maybe I'm just terrible with a drummer . . . my playing is so ingrained as a soloist or accompanist . . . I'm going to do some solo recordings of Solar, etc, then I'll see.

What BIAB style are you using? Sounds more old style and different from the one I was using. I think I was using "Bill Evans Trio" sometimes I used a something like a "Herbie Quartet". I thought it sounded more open.
I haven't chosen any specific Style, I choose an instrument via the Track buttons, that's how I can have hip-hop drums + jazz double-bass + pedal-steel country guitar + etc. I'll give the Style buttons a try . . BiaB has so many options . . .

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by knotty
best time I've ever had playing last night. I joined this group of young gifted guys, all full time players. The bass player is particularly talented. I wasn't always sure where he was going. Many tunes played way outside my confort zone. I'll remember April at a good 300, and blues at a good 40bpm. I felt like I was flying.The drummer was on top of everything I was playing, switching feels, getting all my hits just right. Pure bliss. Whatever complaint I ever had about playing a DP, bad sound blah blah was completely gone last night.
On top of it, those guys were super nice, really into the music, the right attitude, and even insisted that I was playing great.

Excellent, sounds like a great experience

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

What does it mean to be on the same level as a drummer or a bass player? Are you talking about experience or ability to hold the form or ability to play interesting lines or being able to transpose hard tunes at sight or the ability to play complex cross rhythms or the ability to sightread anything or the ability to play with taste or groove or creativity etc? Everyone has their own special talents I think, and it does't make much sense to think about people or music in that linear way, to me.

Well, you tell me. My question was what was it like playing with people above your level and your response was "scary and humbling." So what aspect of better were you referring to?
I agree that everyone has their own special talents, too. But your response made me wonder what would you consider scary and humbling? For me, I'm usually humbled and intimidated by people with big ears, literally and figuratively smile I'm also intrigued by those that can play flawlessly in the pocket no matter what tempo or style.
Originally Posted by Beeboss

But there are times when I have played with other piano players who were on a completely different level than me. I played piano duets with Cedar Walton once for instance. No way could I match his bluesy swing, not even close.

So, how did this affect your playing with him? In your opinion did you sound better? Worse? Different in any way? I think I'd probably just freeze up or fail as I tried to show off.
It seems that I'm still in the competitive mode when I play with others in that I'm trying to sound the best and most modern and innovative that I can to somehow prove that I can play. Not a good way to approach playing, I know, but I guess it's something I'll need to work through.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

So, how did this affect your playing with him? In your opinion did you sound better? Worse? Different in any way? I think I'd probably just freeze up or fail as I tried to show off.

I don't really know. I was concentrating on playing and not concentrating on evaluating how well I was doing. I think it is good not to evaluate whilst playing, or at least have this as an ideal to work towards. I have found that when I feel the pressure to play well that interferes with my ability to actually play well, probably because the urge is to get all the best licks out and not concentrate on actually playing the music. Just like the 'competitive mode' you mention, it is not a good way to approach it.

I agree that everyone has their own special talents, too. But your response made me wonder what would you consider scary and humbling? For me, I'm usually humbled and intimidated by people with big ears, literally and figuratively

Any aspect really that I can recognise as being well above my own I guess. Technique and pianistic control is impressive, also time and musicality, but what really amazes me is creativity - the ability that some people have to just take the music off somewhere completely from their own imagination, to completely reinvent the melodic/harmonic/rhythmic space according to their wish. That is the quality that I admire above all others.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
...the ability that some people have to just take the music off somewhere completely from their own imagination, to completely reinvent the melodic/harmonic/rhythmic space according to their wish. That is the quality that I admire above all others.

Interesting you should say that because I was thinking that very very few people have this ability including many many great players. What I mean is that if you can recognize someone's style of playing, most likely you'll be able to continue to identify their style, and this doesn't lead me to believe they are actually reinventing anything, or recreating anything other than expressing themselves within the parameters that they've grown into.
I think of players like Pat Methany, for example. It's obvious that he's a master at playing the guitar, but for me it appears that his voice has been very consistent for the past 20 or 30 years.
So, to me I don't see this as reinventing at all. I still can admire their facility to produce their given sound, but am usually a bit bored by hearing a number of songs by the same artist unless there is something that I don't quite understand, but want to understand, about the way they play.
I think I need more exposure to great players that haven't become institutionalized in some way, but yet still appeal to me.
Recommendations for some lesser known inventive players that you admire? At one point you mentioned an up and coming Brit, but I've since forgotten his name. I remember liking his sound though.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

What I mean is that if you can recognize someone's style of playing, most likely you'll be able to continue to identify their style, and this doesn't lead me to believe they are actually reinventing anything, or recreating anything other than expressing themselves within the parameters that they've grown into.

Some players find something unique and then stick with it and some are constantly going for something new. Others never find anything much new and just play the same old. It takes all types I guess. But if someone has even one unique thing to say then that is pretty impressive to me.

I think of players like Pat Methany, for example. It's obvious that he's a master at playing the guitar, but for me it appears that his voice has been very consistent for the past 20 or 30 years.

I can hardly think of any musician who has been broader in approach than Metheny. He has covered such a wide range of stuff. Personally I find a lot of the Metheny group stuff borders on smooth jazz a bit too much for me but even if he had only recorded 'bright size life' and nothing else that would be enough to secure a place in my heart. Maybe he has recorded just a bit too much.

Recommendations for some lesser known inventive players that you admire?

Craig Taborn
Jean Michel Pilc
Helge Lien
Django Bates
Gwilym Simcock
Kevin Hayes
Geri Allen
Stephano Bollani
Paul Bley
Uri Caine
Aaron Goldberg
Tigran Hamasyan
Yaron Herman

R
R
Hi all,

As a self taught amateur pianist, unable to read music, I´m learning a lot on this forum. Thank you all for sharing! Wish I had discovered this site a long time ago.
I thought I would participate in this thread with a recording done on my brand new Tascam DP-24 multitrack recorder.
(Blue and Green in a slow tempo suits me fine as I get some time to think ;-)
Comments and criticism are welcomed.

Regards, /Rune

Blue, Green and DP-24

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi Rune
and welcome
Nice playing on Blue in green, well recorded as well

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I can hardly think of any musician who has been broader in approach than Metheny. He has covered such a wide range of stuff.

I'll take your word for it. I suppose then that I've only heard selections from his body of work that seem to immediately identify him as Pat Methany. Maybe my sample set is too small, or maybe I'm only focusing on certain aspects of his playing, but I find him to be one of the most identifiable players of his era.

Originally Posted by scep

Recommendations for some lesser known inventive players that you admire?

Craig Taborn
Jean Michel Pilc
Helge Lien
Django Bates
Gwilym Simcock
Kevin Hayes
Geri Allen
Stephano Bollani
Paul Bley
Uri Caine
Aaron Goldberg
Tigran Hamasyan
Yaron Herman

Thanks for the list! I've not heard of most of these players before. Time for some CD buying again...

Page 243 of 341 1 2 241 242 243 244 245 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission