Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 20 of 25 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 24 25 >
Topic Options
#1842285 - 02/10/12 11:29 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
symphonicdance Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Dear All, I'm 40+ years old, from Hong Kong. Currently I do self-learning, but I probably will try to find a teacher who can help me tackle FTCL (Trinity, UK). And I am going to start a new topic (as I did in other piano forum) to get more opininons. Cheers.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1846300 - 02/16/12 06:07 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Kikazu Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hello, I'm Kikazu. I'm 15 and I started playing the piano for 3 months now. I'm aiming to become a professional pianist, playing in orchestras since I really love orchestral music. smile

#1855337 - 03/03/12 02:09 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Roland The Beagle Offline

Loc: California
Hello, I'm Roland The Beagle (actually that's my dog).

I was introduced to the piano at a young age, and had some aptitude for it, but couldn't succeed in lessons because I kept running around causing havoc. Much later in life I took some group classes, and now I'm finally receiving one on one instruction with the hope of becoming an applied music major for piano performance.

I have some regrets that I didn't study piano throughout my youth, because I wonder what heights I can realistically reach starting much later. Still, this is greatly overshadowed by the joy of finally discovering the instrument and realizing music as a focus for my creative side.

Pleased to meet you all!
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach

#1859731 - 03/11/12 04:41 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Debbusyist Offline

Loc: I'm standing upside down...
Hi all! Just call me Ying. I've been playing piano for a decade (yay!!!) as of 2012 March, and I play trumpet for leisure for 5 years. I was looking for general knowledge for my AmusA pieces, and I found this site!

I'm absolutely in love with Debussy, and really it's his pieces I play best. wink
Slowly adding more on...

#1860410 - 03/12/12 11:20 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Svengali Offline

Loc: South-Africa
Hi,
36 years old.
Piano teacher and performer.
18 students currently.
Next performance will be of Bartok - Sonata for two pianos and Percussion.
Oh, I'm from South Africa.

#1860994 - 03/13/12 11:00 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
asthecrowflies Offline

Loc: London, Cambridge, San Francis...
Hi, i'm a 34 year old living in the UK, from the US. Played until I was 18, and recently just started taking it up again this year. I'm contemplating doing the Trinity Guildhall LTCL program on my own at some point - and would love tips from people who have done it on their own as well. Cheers.

#1861005 - 03/13/12 11:20 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
pianoplayer6624 Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hi, I'm from Canada, studied classical piano mostly from age 4-17, then life intervened for about twenty years, although I did still play casually. Three years ago I started doing jazz piano, which I love love love.
Best wishes to you all.

#1867961 - 03/24/12 11:15 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
dontfeedthebears Offline

Hello, I am a piano player from the great state of Arkansas, and I just recently discovered this forum and had to join. I've been trained classically since I turned 4, and I am turning 15 in a couple months. I have also had quite a bit of experience with non-classical repertoire, including jazz/boogie woogie, hymns, and stuff for a band. I am looking forward to learning from this place.

Bach Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Book I
Mozart Fantasie and Sonata in c minor
Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, Op. 10 No. 12
Liszt's Paraphrase on Rigoletto (sort of)
Prelude of Debussy's Pour le Piano

#1868399 - 03/25/12 07:29 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
WildHorseMan Offline

Loc: uk
Hi, I'm Andy I'm 31 years old from the UK, i was recently searching on google for some information on piano's and stumbled on this great forum! i started taking classical piano lessons in march 2011 not long after my 30th birth day, i'm currently getting up to a good grade 3 standard and maybe thinking about taking my grade 3 exam sometime this year or next, I've had a good stab at some harder pieces like Mussorgsky's promenade 1, clayderman's Souvenir D'Enfrance with the help of my teacher with classical pieces at the same time, I've also just finished yiruma's river flows in you in my own time away from my practise pieces. currently learning 3 grade 3 pieces of very different styles to hone my skills.

I've always fancied the idea of learning the piano but never really got round to it until last year, i started to teach myself guitar not long after i left secondary school but never go very far with regard to reading music,theory,or technique but enjoyed it as a pastime, i still like play the odd time nowadays, when it came to piano i wanted lessons to make sure i had a good understanding of the instrument and a good technique plus being introduced to a wealth of great music i never would have known about.

As my musical knowledge increases i hope to get more involved in the forum instead of being a lurker!

Edited by WildHorseMan (03/26/12 05:22 AM)

#1869274 - 03/27/12 02:49 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
itsahobbie Offline

im new!! 51 years old and started playing at about 38. play when i can and there are peaks and valleys... i get frustrated sometimes with my slow progress. but i still love it. looking for good pieces to play not to0 hard that i can master in the realm of classics to moderns intermediate type difficulty. anyway hello

#1870274 - 03/29/12 10:35 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
lyricmudra Offline

Hello everyone!

I am not entirely new to Pianoworld. Last year, I’ve posted a few queries at the ‘Piano Forum’ while in the process of deciding and purchasing my first acoustic piano. I’ve also been reading the various posts at the ‘Adult Beginner’s Forum’, learning from many of the suggestions, listening to several of the recitals, identifying with people’s experiences, and finding inspiration. I've also just now found a wealth of information here at the 'Pianist's Corner' so I thought I'd introduce myself here as well.

I learned to play the piano like many children did in their early years, but stopped lessons when I was about thirteen years old. I suffered the fate of many who have probably grown up in far flung areas where the prospects of improving one’s piano skills or even simply appreciating or being exposed to classical music were minimal. Since then I’ve also lived in places where I had no easy access to a piano and college, graduate school, and career as a professor eventually took over. Thirty-five years after, however, I reignited my interests. I bought a Yamaha Clavinova in August of 2008 and have been learning a few piano pieces here and there on my own. When I realized that I have been taking this journey much more seriously for two and a half years, I traded in the Clavinova and bought myself an acoustic grand piano (a Kawai RX-2 Blak). I wish though that I could have the time to take formal lessons but my workload keeps me from doing so. The progress can be slow at times and there can be many interruptions, but I've found joy in learning to play the piano once again. It is, in fact, now a passion. My goals these days are to continue learning new pieces as well as to start studying music theory using several books and an instructional software package I bought a couple of months ago. I’ve never had music theory! I hope to also continue learning and gaining inspiration from people’s thoughts and experiences in this forum.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my intro!

#1871985 - 04/01/12 02:25 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
MichaelJamesMN Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Hello. I am new to this forum. I have played Classical piano all of my life (and I am 50 years old), having started lessons at 5. I am still studying! And I practice/play several hours every day.

I have two Steinways...an A and a B...both beautifully restored by Ken Hannah in Stillwater Minnesota. Ken's a true genius in his work.

My favorite composers are Rachmaninoff and Chopin, although I've recently been enjoying Brahms a bit (not nearly as much, however, as the aforementioned).

Michael in Minnesota

#1873135 - 04/03/12 02:13 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
FSO Online   blank
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
Um...hello. New...sorry if I do anything wrong, I just...I really quite like piano, I mean, it's great, right? Anyway, um, I've been playing...crikey, six years, no tuition save my own volition...technically more flawed than...a...floor...with holes in it, um, I'm relatively okay at improvising for somepony of my less learned stature. Oh, this *is* just how I type...I'm sorry about that. I hope you're all well and take care.
Fluttershy Felicity Oakley
x

#1873385 - 04/03/12 10:58 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: symphonicdance]
RandomPianist Offline

Loc: China
Hey There!
I'm Kristina, and I am currently 15 years old. I have been playing piano for about 5 years. I have come here to better my piano skills and learn about other people's stories and techniques. Very interesting forum this is. I used to belong to a forum on PianoStreet but they are not as frequent as all of you are.
smile

#1876136 - 04/09/12 10:50 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
pianoisawesome Offline

I am a high school senior and have been playing Piano since I was three and taking lessons since I was four. My mom used to push me so hard on the piano when I was younger, but now I study from a very rigorous teacher who is practically like the father I never had. I am working on a very enormous amount of repertoire right now so you can imagine my practice schedule:

-Partita VI (complete) by: Bach
-Sonata in e minor Hob: 34(complete) by: Haydn
-Etude V "La Chasse" on a Theme of Paganini by: Liszt
-Intermezzo op. 118 no. 2(revisiting, of course) by: you know who
-Etude in f minor op. 10 by: Chopin
-Concerto in d minor no. 20 K. 466;Romanze by: Mozart
-WAS working on Grieg's a minor till I took a fall
-Butterfly Lover's Concerto (Piano Version)

Most of this repertoire is already finished, but I have to keep it up for a senior recital and the concerto competition at the Brevard Music Center this year. For college I am still torn between a small college in my state with a fabulous teacher and a conservatory in Ohio. Very different environments obviously, but both very good.

Last year I attended Interlochen Arts Camp and was inches away from attending the Academy... before I saw the price... This year I had numerous amounts of master classes all over the eastern region of the US which included the billions of trial lessons I had. I had a trial lesson with the teacher at the conservatory in Ohio and she and the students seemed to like me a lot and I really loved the atmosphere at the conservatory. In fact, my audition at the conservatory was my best audition and someone told me I played like Alison Gagnon... Obviously this observation was incorrect because she is so great.

Going to the trial lesson at the small college where I live, I was so scared of the teacher and I was so sure that the teacher hated me, but later on he gave me the opportunity I had wanted for about a year and actually asked to cancel my audition to "save me the trip" and awarded me with a generous scholarship writing on my form that "it was the best piano audition ever heard at the school". If attending this school I would enter as a B.M. in piano performance.

Still undecided about these schools I had another lesson with this teacher at the small school and was very happy (I got a TWO HOUR lesson! :O) and this coming Friday I am traveling back up to Ohio for another lesson with the teacher at the conservatory.

So if I could ask all of you:

1. What do you think of these two schools? (I CANT DECIDE!)
2. If any of you has played the Mozart concerto: any tips?

Thanks for reading this incredibly long intro. smile
Mozart Concerto No. 20 K. 466;Romanze
Butterfly Lover's Concerto for the Piano

#1876142 - 04/09/12 10:56 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: lorditachijr]
pianoisawesome Offline

Hey.... would you by chance know Kelly Stathis? We were cabin mates at Interlochen..
Mozart Concerto No. 20 K. 466;Romanze
Butterfly Lover's Concerto for the Piano

#1879615 - 04/14/12 03:17 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
pianobyrd Offline

Hello! I joined this forum a while ago, but haven't really posted until now. I've been playing since I was young, and am now taking lessons at my uni (music minor, not major though.) My professor here is amazing and I feel like I'm making more progress in the short time I've been with her than the last several years combined. I'm really recommitting to improving (or at least trying to! :P), and am finally learning how to practice properly, haha. Anyway, I'm excited about progressing and hope to keep on improving!

#1879627 - 04/14/12 03:47 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
CrmsonSong, Pianoisawesome, Kristina, FSO, Michael, Lyricmudra and all others who've posted in this thread over the past few weeks.....

Welcome to Piano World !!! Feel free to participate in the discussions !!! We always enjoy hearing new perspectives !!!

Edited by carey (04/14/12 03:48 PM)

#1888807 - 04/30/12 11:08 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: carey]
perpetual dan Offline

Loc: Sussex, UK
Hi,
I'm Dan, 40, living in Sussex, UK. I played as a child, reaching grade 6 around age 17. Then university and "other stuff" happened and playing fell by the wayside, although there was a little guitar playing on the way. Four years ago I got the itch to play again and bought a Clavinova, which spares the family the more tedious bits of my practicing! My playing has been a little intermittent, but I'm getting back to "intermediate" pieces again and enjoying my playing on the way.

#1890461 - 05/03/12 11:59 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
bfeils Offline

Hi everyone!! My name is Brandon. I just started playing piano about 8 months ago and I'm really excited about it.
I bought a mint condition used Kawai US6X and have been banging away since. My teacher and I have been going through the Alfred's method books I'm about two thirds through book two. I've now learned the full version of Fur Elise and I'll finish Mozart's K545 first movement by next week (It'll still need about a year to polish though). Just found this forum so I look forward to learning alot from you guys/gals!

#1891140 - 05/04/12 02:10 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Sleepy Dad Offline

Hi,

I have a son who's taking piano lessons from a high level teacher. I joined this forum so I can have a place to ask various questions about piano teachers, practice, etc. from other pianist, teachers, moms&dads, etc. I look forward to future interaction on this forum

#1891807 - 05/05/12 04:49 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Ozgur Offline

Loc: Turkey
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member but it didn't take long to understand how wonderful this forum is. I know that somebody around here is always here to help, this is a good feeling smile I will also do my best to make any contributions.

#1891860 - 05/05/12 06:28 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
Welcome Ozgur. A good place to start would be to flesh out your profile so that we can know more about you.

#1892468 - 05/06/12 07:02 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
The Hound Offline

I neglected to post in here before but may as well do it now.

Greetings to everyone. I stopped piano lessons at age 16, but kept playing anyway. The frequency did diminsh though, especially when I moved into my own flat and was limited to playing my synth (which would end with stuff piled on it).

Now I'm 32 and have just moved from London to a village just outside it (thanks to my 5-month-old daughter for being the catalyst); two of my criteria for the new place were that it must be a detached house and there must be room for a grand piano somewhere. The frontrunner for a while was a Yamaha C3, but I ended up buying a W.Hoffmann T186, and am very happy with my choice.

Having lessons every 2 weeks and practicing as dilligently as time allows, and am feeling the improvement, which is very satisfying. Have leapt back in at around a grade 6 (ABRSM) level. Going to take grade 5 theory later this year and then grade 6 or 7 practical next year.

I found the piano forum (along with Larry Fine's book) fairly helpful when making my purchase, and have enjoyed reading this subforum and others since. There seems to be a good amount of informed and helpful discussion floating around here.

Edited by The Hound (05/06/12 07:02 PM)

#1895783 - 05/12/12 02:52 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Richard Parizer Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Just wanted to introduce myself to this great community of piano playing/listening enthusiasts!

I have been playing the piano for over 20 years! I grew up in Maryland, but ventured my way out to Los Angeles in 2007 to pursue various opportunities in the entertainment industry.

So far, I've had my hand in different parts of the industry including music supervision (placements into television and film), music editing, music production and even entertainment management. I also teach piano lessons! cool

PIano Instructor, Musician, and Audio Engineer

Great Piano Tutorial

#1895849 - 05/12/12 05:07 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
Welcome to PW. Impressive accomplishments!

tip: edit your profile. (weighted not waited.)

#1898478 - 05/17/12 07:43 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
DottedNotes Offline

Loc: New York
Hi,
I am a blind concert pianist, teacher and composer new to the forums. Looking forward to learning a lot and sharing what I know ...

#1899860 - 05/19/12 04:18 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Studio Joe]
Ozgur Offline

Loc: Turkey
Originally Posted By: Studio Joe
Welcome Ozgur. A good place to start would be to flesh out your profile so that we can know more about you.

Hello again,

I am a concert pianist, at the beginning of his career. Giving master-classes, recitals and taking part in chamber music ensembles internationally.

Successes in various international competitions including the second prize in the 17th International Brahms Competition.

#1899900 - 05/19/12 05:33 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Ozgur]
Orange Soda King Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: Ozgur
Originally Posted By: Studio Joe

Hello again,

I am a concert pianist, at the beginning of his career. Giving master-classes, recitals and taking part in chamber music ensembles internationally.

Successes in various international competitions including the second prize in the 17th International Brahms Competition.

Wow, congratulations! Good luck on all of your endeavors. smile

#1899957 - 05/19/12 07:47 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Ozgur]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Ozgur

And I enjoyed the Brahms on your Youtube channel. I hope you post more and welcome to Piano World.

Page 20 of 25 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 24 25 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
169 registered (accordeur, ABC Vermonter, Akshay, 36251, 52 invisible), 1635 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153708 Topics
2253309 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Acoustics and Piano Positioning
by PNO40
04/24/14 05:49 PM
Is this the room to talk about the Yamaha PSR's ?
by MacGuy
04/24/14 05:43 PM
Where can I test a Kawai VPC-1?
by jp2011
04/24/14 05:43 PM
Schimmel Mod. 150 - NR
by Rudy99golf
04/24/14 05:42 PM
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
04/24/14 05:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission