Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1878029 - 04/12/12 07:05 AM 1979 Kimball 5'8" grand opinions
Bachonator Offline

I'm trying to decide whether to replace hammers on my Samick SG172, or trade it in on a Kimball grand I found at a local piano tech's shop. I expected to really dislike this piano due to the Kimball reputation, but surprisingly this one is quite nice in tone and touch. The case is excellent - in fact it looks likes it has never been played! The tech purchased it from someone they knew, and they were the first owner.

My question is this - is it possible that some Kimballs were actually decent? Or am I caught up in new piano fever? I played it for about 30 minutes and frankly started bonding with it somewhat - and I'm pretty picky about pianos usually. Conventional wisdom is to stay away from Kimballs of that era. Its not a Viennese Edition but it does have an "upgraded Schwander Action".

Thanks

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1878057 - 04/12/12 08:14 AM Re: 1979 Kimball 5'8" grand opinions [Re: Bachonator]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hello,

When I was looking for a 7 foot grand piano (that I could afford), I stumbled across a late 1970’s Kimball 6’7” Imperial; I too was very surprised at the tone and touch of the piano, in spite of the name on the fall board. I did some research on the Kimball during that time frame and read they had acquired interest in Bosendorfer along about that time, and had adopted/merged some of Bosendorfer’s designs into their own pianos, such as the plate/harp. I did not purchase the Kimball for various reasons, but I was impressed.

I’m thinking the Kimball you are looking at may also have been built along about that time and may have some of the Bosendorfer deisgns incorporated into that piano. It if has the really big sound holes in the plate, it may have the Bosey designed plate. If you really like the sound and touch of the Kimball, I would not be afraid to purchase that piano.

Hope this helps!

Rick

Edited by Rickster (04/12/12 11:33 AM)

#1878110 - 04/12/12 09:58 AM Re: 1979 Kimball 5'8" grand opinions [Re: Bachonator]
Greg88 Offline

Loc: Ludlow, Kentucky
I don't live far from French Lick Indiana where many of the later Kimball pianos were made and so there seem to be a lot of them in my area and I have played quite a few of them over the years. The verticle pianos have never seemed great to me but I've always thought the grands were extremely good. I keep that opinion to myself because it is almost always disputed by everyone else, but Kimball made a lot of very good grand pianos. The Vieneese Classic series that they produced were in my estimation the equal of Kawai and Yamaha in terms of tone and touch (but I can't speak to their long term reliability of course). They simply had a beautiful sound that was capapble of a lot of expression. Although they are often maligned I always found the pianos in the "Artist" series to be a pleasure as well. I have enjoyed playing Kimball grand pianos (not the verticals)and while I own and love my Samick made piano, I would not hesitate in the least to trade it in for a Kimball if I liked the particular Kimball. The only reason I would not trade is because of a sentimental attachment to my Samick. Kimball grands seem to sell for very reasonable prices which is a real plus for a buyer, but if you ever intend to sell or trade it you might want to consider that the Kimball is probably never going to be considered a great instrument in the mainstream and it will not have a terrific resale value. Hope that helps a little.

#1878208 - 04/12/12 12:53 PM Re: 1979 Kimball 5'8" grand opinions [Re: Bachonator]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
Originally Posted By: Bachonator
My question is this - is it possible that some Kimballs were actually decent?

Absolutely! Other than their smallest grands, I'm "almost" always happy to run across one of their grands. I only service one 5'8" grand, but it is a fine instrument. My big complaint about some of their grands is the 4,829 screws that need to be removed in order to pull out the keyboard.
Richfield Springs, New York

#1879080 - 04/13/12 05:32 PM Re: 1979 Kimball 5'8" grand opinions [Re: Bachonator]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Really old Kimball grands can be excellent. I imagine a 1979 could be perfectly fine.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1879198 - 04/13/12 09:00 PM Re: 1979 Kimball 5'8" grand opinions [Re: Bachonator]
ventil Offline

Loc: TX
Well, I guess I'm the odd one here.

There was a Kimball grand (about 5'6" as I recall) in my church's choir room when I arrived as DoM 4+ years ago. It was built in 1975 or 1976 and was was donated to the church in the mid to late 80s.

Tonally, it was not too bad, but it would never hold tune. Never. The action had no finesse. Mezzo-piano was about all I could manage consistently.

In all fairness, after 20+ years in a church choir room, who's to say what it was like originally?

But the lack of tuning stability was a deal breaker. Last year, the vestry voted to give it to a family in the church. We replaced it with a Kawai CN-43. Believe it or not, the digital is more expressive than the Kimball was, and, most importantly, is always in tune. That matters when rehearsing a choir.

Quote:
I played it for about 30 minutes and frankly started bonding with it somewhat

Well, that's important. And apparently, there are some good Kimball grands. That just wasn't my experience.

#1879219 - 04/13/12 09:44 PM Re: 1979 Kimball 5'8" grand opinions [Re: ventil]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ventil

Tonally, it was not too bad, but it would never hold tune. Never. The action had no finesse. Mezzo-piano was about all I could manage consistently.

Churches are notoriously bad at instrument maintenance (this includes humidity control), so you can't necessarily blame the piano. If the action had no "finesse" that's probably because it hadn't been properly looked after.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1879232 - 04/13/12 10:24 PM Re: 1979 Kimball 5'8" grand opinions [Re: Bachonator]
ventil Offline

Loc: TX
Quote:
you can't necessarily blame the piano

I thought I had implied as much. But it's not unreasonable to assume a different piano might have fared better.

#1879416 - 04/14/12 07:58 AM Re: 1979 Kimball 5'8" grand opinions [Re: Bachonator]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
My mother had a pretty French style Kimball baby grand, 1970ish, with a parquet lid. It played like a Mack truck, a real tough exercise for the fingers. Not what I'd call a "decent" piano. You couldn't have given it to me.

#1879423 - 04/14/12 08:14 AM Re: 1979 Kimball 5'8" grand opinions [Re: Bachonator]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I just saw a pic of a Kimball and Bosendorfer side by side from above and they are identical. Don't know what the actions are like though. Interesting isn't it? I know there's more to it than the shape of the plate.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
10/24/14 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
10/24/14 07:59 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Bhm
by Johan B
10/24/14 03:40 PM
Who's Online
113 registered (accordeur, ando, a-z0-9, 36 invisible), 1233 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158482 Topics
2327404 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission