Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1878132 - 04/12/12 10:38 AM 30 years old yamaha U3- approximately how long can it last?
MusicAmor Offline

I have set my sights on this excellent reconditioned yamaha U3 which gives out an amazing sound and touch unlike the other uprights ive tried. I instantly fell in love with it and it is approximately worth 30% of the retail value. It looks really new to the extend that i couldnt believe that this upright was dated to the 80s.

The only concern is that this particular set is approximately 30 years old so im worried whether it will be able to last in the long run. The dealer offers a 10 year warranty on its soundboard and cast iron though.

What are the odds of an acoustic breaking down on this age?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1878142 - 04/12/12 10:56 AM Re: 30 years old yamaha U3- approximately how long can it last? [Re: MusicAmor]
bone Offline

How long do you plan to use it for? I was told buy a tuning technician once that the wood used in older Yamahas is much better than the wood used in the recent instruments. So this may not be a bad choice if the price is attractive.

#1878190 - 04/12/12 12:16 PM Re: 30 years old yamaha U3- approximately how long can it last? [Re: MusicAmor]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: MusicAmor
I have set my sights on this excellent reconditioned yamaha U3 which gives out an amazing sound and touch unlike the other uprights ive tried.

The only concern is that this particular set is approximately 30 years old so im worried whether it will be able to last in the long run. The dealer offers a 10 year warranty on its soundboard and cast iron though.

To help get a clearer picture, you should hire a technician to look over the instrument and tell you exactly what was reconditioned/replaced, and what the condition of the rest of the instrument is in as well (particularly that which lies beneath the pretty surface).

Then you need to assess your playing demands for the instrument-- Occasional home use? Teaching studio use? Hours a day preparing for competitions? What is the humidity control like in your home?

A warranty is nice, but I've not read about iron plate breakage problems on U3's here, and a soundboard warranty is a nebulous term (some new instrument makers even excuse themselves from replacing instruments with a cracked board under warranty, which may or may not be a big problem in reality). The pinblock and action parts would be the parts I'd suspect the most with such an instrument.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#1878595 - 04/13/12 12:35 AM Re: 30 years old yamaha U3- approximately how long can it last? [Re: MusicAmor]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
A 30 year old gray market Yamaha U3 is an "M" scale which needs the repetition threads replaced due to the defective material in the "M". Yamaha addressed the problem in the later "A" series which are of the early to mid 80's. The strings,tuning pins and the action parts are the items that need to be assessed as for condition in that this commissioned work would far exceed the cost of this preowned piano.
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1878597 - 04/13/12 12:42 AM Re: 30 years old yamaha U3- approximately how long can it last? [Re: MusicAmor]
MusicAmor Offline

Alright thanks. Ive just taken up classical lessons and would intend to use the U3 until grade 8 so i assume it has to last me approximately 8 years?

#1878603 - 04/13/12 01:00 AM Re: 30 years old yamaha U3- approximately how long can it last? [Re: MusicAmor]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Why do you even consider this piano?
Have you carefully shopped around for new or much newer pianos?

Norbert

Edited by Norbert (04/13/12 01:01 AM)

#1878611 - 04/13/12 01:11 AM Re: 30 years old yamaha U3- approximately how long can it last? [Re: Norbert]
jivemutha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: Norbert
Why do you even consider this piano?
Have you carefully shopped around for new or much newer pianos?

Norbert

The U3 is one of the most respected "professional" level 52" uprights, known for reliability, holding a tune, and producing a sound that many people like. The OP has made it clear they like the sound--a common response to old U3s. Maybe that's why.

#1878613 - 04/13/12 01:12 AM Re: 30 years old yamaha U3- approximately how long can it last? [Re: MusicAmor]
MusicAmor Offline

In my country, a brand new U3 costs $12000(~USD 9600) which is more than double the price of a second hand set ($4500/ USD 3600) in this case). Well most of the imported second hand U3s here are of the same age (~30 yrs) but this particular set looks and sounds better than the rest. The 10 years warranty for its soundboard & cast iron is also a plus point. Is there anything I should look out for?

#1878622 - 04/13/12 01:34 AM Re: 30 years old yamaha U3- approximately how long can it last? [Re: MusicAmor]
jivemutha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: MusicAmor
Is there anything I should look out for?

Terminaldegree has already answered your question (see above). Of his or her points the most important is almost surely to hire an independent tech to check it out. This instrument is old enough to potentially have significant problems. It's likely they can be fixed, but you'll no doubt want to know what's wrong and what it will cost you to fix the problems before you make your decision.

If your question is really asking do U3s have any particular weaknesses, probably every piano does. In this case, many people think old U3s sound too bright--a problem that can be worked on with hammer voicing. Last year I heard a tech quote a price of $200 U.S. to voice hammers on a U3, though I have no idea how typical that price is. But you seem to like how it sounds right now, so that's presumably not a problem for you.

They sometimes get squeaks in the pedals. Those can be fixed, usually for cheap. Otherwise they're built like tanks.

I'm not going to get into the gray market issue (assuming that's the issue here) except to say I never had any problems with gray market U series uprights.

Let us know the outcome and good luck!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (Anne'sson, accordeur, 36251, A Guy, 42 invisible), 1239 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76011 Members
42 Forums
157169 Topics
2308336 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
special gloves to reinforce good hand position
by Will1
08/30/14 09:10 PM
Frederick Historical Concert Season - Fall 2014
by Terrytunes
08/30/14 08:44 PM
Stravinsky - Valse pour les enfants
by Peter071
08/30/14 06:05 PM
Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch.
by TwoSnowflakes
08/30/14 05:24 PM
What's the value of my piano?
by Athos
08/30/14 04:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission