Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1875636 - 04/08/12 01:44 PM Chopin Waltz Talk
OG Ryder Offline

Loc: San Diego
I don't know why but I am really into Chopin Waltzes right now! What are your favorites? Can you recommend any non-chopin waltzes that I might like?

My fav, such a classical feel and clean sound 3hearts: 69 no 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T01wf1me0mM&feature=relmfu

Next fav, the main theme is with sorrow but the middle sections are so cheery! (anyone catch the similarity to those two measures in C# minor no. 20 middle section?) : 69 no 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T01wf1me0mM&feature=relmfu

Side thought: After listening to these, I keep wondering why Op 9 no 2 isn't seen more as a waltz?... It has that repeating left hand pattern. Can anyone chime in on this?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1875648 - 04/08/12 02:18 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Brahms wrote 16 waltzes, op 39. They're quite unusual for waltzes, one of them is even in counterpoint, but they're very enjoyable.

The name Strauss rings a bell, too.

The nocturne Op. 9, no. 2 is not a waltz because it isn't written in three-four time; it's in twelve-eight. There are four accents in each bar: strong-da-da, weak-da-da, medium-da-da, weak-da-da. It's as close to a waltz as Chuck Berry's No Particular Place To Go. smile

#1875664 - 04/08/12 02:50 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
Chris G Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I really like Chopin Waltzes also and the first one you mentioned is one of my favorites ( although the performance you linked to did not really excite me ). I actually prefer to listen to others playing Chopin rather than learning the pieces myself because in order to learn the pieces I would have to start by playing them slowly and at a slow tempo they just seem fell incredibly sad.

No one else is like Chopin so it's hard to suggest alternatives but here is one link you can try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxDrqdf-U...29C58C3963B286D

#1875724 - 04/08/12 04:29 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
My favourite Chopin Waltz for the moment is the A minor posthumous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smqj_z04i4A

It is really not easy for me - and I expect it will take a while before I have it presentable for performance, but I just love it (and it sounds lovely whether you play it quickly or slowly!)

#1875981 - 04/09/12 02:07 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Well, you picked two of my favorite Chopin Waltzes. I played the Waltz in B Minor (69-1) in the last recital and I am still working on polishing it. Some people play this very fast, and other's play it slower. I think is "sings" best at a moderate tempo. I guess everyone's ear is different.

I am also working on The Waltz in C# minor right now. This one is a little more challenging, but equally beautiful. Again, I think some people rush the "B" section too much. It is such a beautiful transition melody.

I think the challenge with Chopin's Nocturne 9-2 is to not sound like a waltz. With 12/8 time, there are four beats per measure and the right hand dictates the rhythm. When I first played it for my teacher her comment was "too waltz-y, sing the right hand". The progressions in the left hand need to be light and not over accented. I like the suggestion above about how to accent the left hand. I love this nocturne, and it is a lot of fun to play!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#1875985 - 04/09/12 02:17 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
69 1 is my favorite. So many are great, though, it's hard to pick one favorite. I wonder if I'll ever be able to play one...

#1876008 - 04/09/12 04:26 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: casinitaly]
raptor Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

It is really not easy for me - and I expect it will take a while before I have it presentable for performance, but I just love it (and it sounds lovely whether you play it quickly or slowly!)

I just received my order for a book containing Chopin's easier pieces and this was among the first I encountered. Although it's above my level, I think I might try learn it too as it sounds so nice. smile

#1877626 - 04/11/12 04:21 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Encino, California
Have you heard this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzwWK12mZE

#1877642 - 04/11/12 05:03 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: raptor]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: raptor

I just received my order for a book containing Chopin's easier pieces and this was among the first I encountered. Although it's above my level, I think I might try learn it too as it sounds so nice. smile

Raptor, it is above my level too, but I'm getting there. Just be very patient with yourself and be ok with playing it slowly to start with. I figure that when I visit my family this summer I'll "wow" them with a slowwwwwwwww version (but as they don't know the piece they'll be suitably impressed smile )... and I hope that as time passes I'll get it up to a peppier tempo.
There are a lot of other Chopin pieces I'd like to work on, but I know I'm not ready for them.

Which book did you get?

#1877778 - 04/11/12 08:37 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Cheryl and Raptor, I am 100% certain that you are perfectly capable of playing the a minor piece or Op 69. Someone mentioned c# minor, now that's a bit harder. I love Chopin waltz, nocturne, sonata, ballade, mazurka, prelude, etude .... just about everything he wrote. He's such a special composer. I get totally affected by his music - I mean, emotionally - his music takes me to a different world. He's a God's gift to humanity.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1877963 - 04/12/12 02:34 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
casinitaly Offline

Farm Girl - I love your encouragement!

I too am convinced I can play the Aminor (and I convinced my teacher too smile ) As for the other work - did you mean 69 N1 or 69 N2?

I think perhaps you meant the Bm (N2) - I love that one too and having started on the Am, I find it less intimidating, though I recognize that it too would (will ! ) be a long-term project!

#1878031 - 04/12/12 07:09 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Cheryl
I love the version you posted...beautiful. Back to the waltz it is. I'm noticing new details in this time around...need to work on smoother pedaling. I tend to use too much pedal on Chopin and make it blurred when it should not be.

Love to learn

#1878136 - 04/12/12 10:47 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA

I think perhaps you meant the Bm (N2) - I love that one too and having started on the Am, I find it less intimidating, though I recognize that it too would (will ! ) be a long-term project!

Interesting, because the Bm waltz is (IMHO) notably harder than the Am. Perhaps the first section is similar in difficulty, but the second (and definitely the trio) are quite a bit harder. Though, there are two versions and the one in the Alfred book is slightly easier than the other edition which I learned.

Kawai K3

#1878150 - 04/12/12 11:12 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
Samuel1993 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The Waltzes are amongst my favorite Chopin works! laugh My favorites are probably Op.64 No.2 in C sharp minor, Grande Valse Brilliante in E flat and the Posthumous one in B minor (Op.69?). I love them because though they're not "easy" so-to-speak, they lie so beautifully under the fingers and are so nice to play casually. Listeners love them as well.

I also adore this Posthumous one in F minor:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1WwyKXwIN0

Many people aren't familiar with this one.
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196

#1878154 - 04/12/12 11:25 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: Andy Platt]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

Interesting, because the Bm waltz is (IMHO) notably harder than the Am. Perhaps the first section is similar in difficulty, but the second (and definitely the trio) are quite a bit harder. Though, there are two versions and the one in the Alfred book is slightly easier than the other edition which I learned.

smile Andy, I didn't mean it would be easier, just less intimidating smile Somehow getting through this first Waltz, which has already moved my skills up notches in weeks has made a lot of material seem more approachable - still very challenging -but not scary, if you see what I mean?

Now I have to go and listen to the links that have been posted so far today - so much great music to check out!

#1878156 - 04/12/12 11:27 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: WiseBuff]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
Cheryl
I love the version you posted...beautiful. Back to the waltz it is. I'm noticing new details in this time around...need to work on smoother pedaling. I tend to use too much pedal on Chopin and make it blurred when it should not be.

Glad you like it WiseBuff - that performer has several pieces up on youtube and tends to play them just a bit more slowly than most other versions I've found.

#1878160 - 04/12/12 11:33 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
thurisaz Offline

Loc: Finland
I've been wanting to learn the posthumous waltz in A minor for a while:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZJt-oWDD7U

Unfortunately, I've been too busy lately to dedicate enough time to the piano. I have worked a bit on the jumps in the left hand, since I still don't have a good enough sense of the piano to manage those smoothly without looking. I think I'll learn a lot from this piece: I'm looking forward to working more on it!

Bach Prelude in C (BWV 846)
Petzold Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh 115)
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, first movement
Working on: Alfred's Adult Piano Level 2, Satie Gymnopedie N. 1

#1878166 - 04/12/12 11:41 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
casinitaly Offline

Chatnoir - the version you posted, played by Anievas, is charming - very fast, but charming (the flowers are pretty too).

Thurisaz - Ashkenazy's version is one of the first I heard - and he plays it very quickly too - it is beautiful played at an upbeat tempo.

I am glad (for my sake) that it sounds pretty when played slowly too!

Samuel1993 - the Fm waltz is lovely - but significantly more difficult! I don't think I can even think about aspiring to that one for a while!

#1878168 - 04/12/12 11:44 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Waltz in A minor posthumous: I'm going to put this on my fun to learn pieces to do after I do my exam in a couple of weeks. I am absolutely fascinated with this piece and hope I can make it sound as magical as when I hear others play it. I believe it is within my reach but I will have to work hard at it to make it sound nice. A very good challenge with a beautiful piece of music.

#1878179 - 04/12/12 12:06 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: casinitaly]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan

I am glad (for my sake) that it sounds pretty when played slowly too!

Like you, I actually prefer it played slowly!!!!

#1878195 - 04/12/12 12:22 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: casinitaly]
raptor Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia

Raptor, it is above my level too, but I'm getting there. Just be very patient with yourself and be ok with playing it slowly to start with. I figure that when I visit my family this summer I'll "wow" them with a slowwwwwwwww version (but as they don't know the piece they'll be suitably impressed smile )... and I hope that as time passes I'll get it up to a peppier tempo.
There are a lot of other Chopin pieces I'd like to work on, but I know I'm not ready for them.

Which book did you get?

The book I have is called: "Easier piano pieces No.39 Chopin An Introductory Album" by ABRSM publishing.

I showed the piece to my teacher and she picked up a few things for me to look out for, one was to use the correct fingering otherwise I'd run out of fingers and the other was how to break it apart to practice and learn it.

Thanks for the advice on playing it. It certainly does still sound nice at a slow tempo so hopefully that will keep me satisfied until it's up to a faster tempo.

#1878205 - 04/12/12 12:51 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
casinitaly Offline

Which book did you get?

The book I have is called: "Easier piano pieces No.39 Chopin An Introductory Album" by ABRSM publishing.

I showed the piece to my teacher and she picked up a few things for me to look out for, one was to use the correct fingering otherwise I'd run out of fingers and the other was how to break it apart to practice and learn it.

Thanks for the advice on playing it. It certainly does still sound nice at a slow tempo so hopefully that will keep me satisfied until it's up to a faster tempo.

Thanks for the name of the book - I see it is easily available to me on Amazon ...time for a little present to my self methinks smile Mind you many of the pieces are available for free at

free-scores.com

I downloaded the Waltz69 N2 and Prelude Op 28N4 1 page,very slow...) and showed them to my teacher - she said she saw no reason for me to wait to start trying them out (not really studying them, but to start looking them over and getting a feel for them).

Did I mention I'm in a very good mood today?

#1878245 - 04/12/12 02:11 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: Andy Platt]
FarmGirl Offline

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

I meant c# minor as I wrote. I think it was op 64. Cannot really verify the # now but it's a good one
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1878284 - 04/12/12 03:18 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Quote:

Thanks for the name of the book - I see it is easily available to me on Amazon ...time for a little present to my self methinks smile Mind you many of the pieces are available for free at

free-scores.com

The book I have (probably a similar selection) is Chopin: An Introduction to his Piano Works (Book & CD)

Edited by Andy Platt (04/12/12 11:20 PM)
Edit Reason: Fixed quote

Kawai K3

#1878325 - 04/12/12 04:29 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Andy,
You and I have the same book. I like the CD that came along with it. I especially like the tempo of the A minor posthumous waltz on that recording.

#1878535 - 04/12/12 10:56 PM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
I was looking around for a book yesterday after reading this thread and found the one Andy linked to. I'm glad to see it endorsed here. Though... I have alot of Chopin recordings so maybe free downloads are the way to go... (I'm not ready for Chopin yet, but I keep a long wish list at Amazon)

#1878675 - 04/13/12 05:25 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
casinitaly Offline

FarmGirl, I had a listen to the Cminor (c sharp minor 64 n2) ...it is really pretty but I think I have to wait on that for a while indeed!

Glasslove - I remember you telling me about your Chopin book too - nice to see that Andy is enjoying it too.

We have quite a new little group of Chopin lovers growing here, don't we?

#1878683 - 04/13/12 05:49 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Absolutely! Lots of Chopin Lovers here! I am working on the Waltz in C# Minor and now I want to play the A minor waltz too. I am also working on the Nocturne in Eb Major (9 2), and relearning Nocturne in E minor (72 1). I absolutely love that one (72 1), but I never played it well in the past. Maybe this time around!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#1878705 - 04/13/12 07:11 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
casinitaly Offline

JimF just told me about the Prelude in B minor (Op 28 No. 6) ...... If you look at the music it is intimidating, but when you listen to it and hear how slow it is.... you feel you just might be able to do it.

I found another good site for downloading Chopin:

http://chopinfiles.com

There are 2 waltzes in A minor. I believe most of us are talking about the Posthumous one which (my research shows smile ) is refered to as Waltz No.19 in A minor, or Op.posth.P2 No.11 (BI 150)

But the other is Waltz in A Minor, Op. 34, No. 2
Here is a little performance by Horowitz -he makes it sound very easy!

#1878860 - 04/13/12 11:26 AM Re: Chopin Waltz Talk [Re: OG Ryder]
FarmGirl Offline

SwissMs, Nocturne in Eb Major (9 2) is absolutely beautiful. I I love c# minor waltz too. I played it 3 or 4 years ago. That was one of the first pieces I learned with my current teacher. It's beautiful but not easy at all (LOL). I was sight reading Chopin's waltz after I found out that Cheryl is doing a minor. I have never played them before but I was able to play op 69 #1 and 2 with slow speed. But not the c# minor even though i studied it before, I will have to make effort to bring it back.

By the way, fellow Chopin lovers, I decided to create a little Chopin repertoire. Everyone loves his music. It will be nice to play some of his stuff whenever I have people over. If you are starting out with your Chopin pieces, it's a really good idea to keep them alive. I was looking at my books to see what I played before. I got quite a bit. A nocturne Op 72 - 1 (e minor p.h) from year ago when I briefly came back to piano in college. I am self studying the Op 9-2 nocturne. Besides the c# minor one, 2 waltz and 1 mazurka from my college days as well. a minor waltz and raindrop prelude from childhood. I know a couple of pieces are tough to sight read. See what I mean. I just tried Op 24 #1 Mazurka.. I could somehow play it with extremely slow speed. I have some hope. It's coming back and actually, my touch got a lot better now. Phew! I remember I used to struggle to get the rhythm and keep the left hand chord together and quieter. So I guess, it's my achievement of the day too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (Abby Pianoman, A Guy, 36251, accordeur, 54 invisible), 1492 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76039 Members
42 Forums
157220 Topics
2309158 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
09/01/14 09:02 PM
Kawai ES7 v1.15 software update - now available
by Kawai James
09/01/14 08:43 PM
Mason & Hamlin's action vs. Kawai's Millennium III action
by ColinDS
09/01/14 08:32 PM
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
09/01/14 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
09/01/14 05:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission