2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Carlos-CR
Indeed. They are so minimal that the yamaha tech that came to my house was able to swap my 7 years old GH3 circuit boards with those of a GHD keyboard and it worked perfectly! So mechanically they really have to be the same.

That sounds impressive indeed. To be clear, they changed out the electronics that make the sound or did they change out the board that contains the sensor? I'm actually super interested in the degree to which parts can be replaced and upgraded in digital pianos.

What do you mean by GHD? Is that another name for the GH action?

Ando is completely right about Yamaha. They sort of found a good formula years ago and haven't really moved from there since.

Last edited by gvfarns; 04/07/12 04:30 PM.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I don´t know what Roland´s support is like in USA, but certainly in UK, they´re great. For those who don´t know the history of how the white keys on my V-Piano came to be replaced, I didn´t actually request a replacement - when Roland took away my V-Piano in order to put in the Evolution upgrade (after a couple of botched attempts by me, I rang them for advice and was told not to try any more in case I damaged the electronics, and they´d put them in for me), I mentioned the fact that the white keys had developed a little roughness from my playing over the 9 months or so since I bought it, and they said they´d look into it. When it was returned to me, it had not just the Evolution upgrade, but also the replacement keys.

If music be the food of love, play on!
C
C
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Originally Posted by Carlos-CR
Indeed. They are so minimal that the yamaha tech that came to my house was able to swap my 7 years old GH3 circuit boards with those of a GHD keyboard and it worked perfectly! So mechanically they really have to be the same.

That sounds impressive indeed. To be clear, they changed out the electronics that make the sound or did they change out the board that contains the sensor? I'm actually super interested in the degree to which parts can be replaced and upgraded in digital pianos.

What do you mean by GHD? Is that another name for the GH action?

Ando is completely right about Yamaha. They sort of found a good formula years ago and haven't really moved from there since.

Hello,

I'l try to clarify:

the keyboard comes with 3 circuit boards that contain the sensors and the interface to the DP. My original keyboard is a GH3 (3 sensors per key) model and the one the tech brought was a GHD (only 2 sensors per key), so he dismounted the circuit boards that came with my GH3 and mounted back in the GHD keyboard and it worked like a charm. So, mecanically, the GHD keyboards and GH3 are compatible. I was amazed it worked smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I can't honestly say I've ever had any issues with Roland's product quality ...even the Ivory feel keys don't seem to be a issue for me.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
[Edited]

Read post, below.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Maybe a little harsh pv88? I don't know only you can judge, but sh*# happens in business and when something depends on one or two 'key' people smile clients can get messed about. An apology and explanation is expected though, let them know you're not too happy, and if you keep the endgame in sight then all should be OK, eventually.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
[Edited]

Read post, below.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by pv88
original quote removed at request of pv88

Richard, try and remember the good points about the V-Piano - the reasons you bought it in the first place. I understand you feel let down.

Last edited by EssBrace; 04/12/12 05:31 PM. Reason: quote removed

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
I carry no brief for Roland, but a one-time serviceperson's need to reschedule isn't all that strange. Most of us have had to reschedule the odd appointment from time to time.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by EssBrace

Richard, try and remember the good points about the V-Piano - the reasons you bought it in the first place. I understand you feel let down.

Agree. Richard it seems you were a very satisfied owner of your V-piano, and given how frustrating and love/hate many people's relationships with their DPs are, you may not find that level of satisfaction with any other DP. Burning your bridges with Roland over this might turn out to be biting your nose off to spite your face. Roland has little control with organisational matters to do with repairing your V-piano. It sucks that it has to happen, but you may have had to deal with this repair service no matter which DP you own, so it's about the service arrangement more than the brand of your DP. I'd advise you to be patient and insistently push towards what you want. By all accounts these things do resolve where Roland is concerned.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, everyone is right, as I do appreciate the advice, and, I have already apologized to Spectrum Sound regarding a minor scheduling detail. Here is an interesting new photo:

[Linked Image]

Looks pretty nice, as we now can view the actual key bed!

The color of the key tops appear whiter, than mine.
(Could be just the lighting in the photo.)

New assembly goes in, on Monday.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Promising developments! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Richard! With this picture, we can now LAY TO REST the suggestions that the V-Piano uses a unique keyed all its own. It is the same PHA III keyed in the FP-7F and RD-700NX, amongst other top end Roland DPs. Let us know how it goes with the new key bed.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
How do you avoid the same problem from happening again?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by 36251

Buy a Yamaha? grin

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
Thanks Richard! With this picture, we can now LAY TO REST the suggestions that the V-Piano uses a unique keyed all its own. It is the same PHA III keyed in the FP-7F and RD-700NX, amongst other top end Roland DPs. Let us know how it goes with the new key bed.

Is it? It looks different than the 7F keyboard. The colour as a start. Maybe that at least is not what you meant?

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
The color is different between the "S" version in the FP-7F and that in the RD-700NX and V-Piano (amongst others). That is supposed to be the only difference.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

Make sure you wash your hands with soap or hand sanitizer that DOES NOT have any alcohol in it. Also, keep your nails trimmed short. Other than that . . . no clue.

Don't use any alcohol, chemicals, windex, etc, to clean the keys.

And as mentioned by others, no alcohol-based hand sanitizers, and no hand lotions, etc etc etc.

All I do to mine (pha II, no fake ivory or anything) is wipe it down with a microfiber rag when I'm done for the day.

It's never seen anything harsher than just plain water on a clean rag -- and that, only a few times. The dry microfiber rag works wonders and avoids having to use harsher methods.

o.O

A hammered piano, minus the strings. Brilliant!
P
P
Sorry to chime in a bit late; haven't been able to keep up with the posts here recently.

As for support from the suppliers, at least here in Denmark both Yamaha and Roland have great support.

I replaced some of the keys on my Yamaha P150 quite some years ago (there is a design defect that causes them to wear out where the spring touches the plastic, so they "hang" below the others). Yamaha had parts for that available quite some years after they stopped selling the P150. I had to pay for them, though, but had no difficulties getting the parts.

I also replaced some buttons on my JV80 many years ago, and Roland was very helpful to get those parts to me quickly. I have had also a minor issue with a small Roland recorder, that they responded to very fast and offered to replace/fix if I wanted (I didn't).

And lately (2 mo ago) I had the keys on my RD700NX replaced due to wear. That was a stellar experience in my mind. I picked a time that suited me, drove by with the keyboard, which they repaired on the spot in 30 min while offering me coffee and cookies in their demo room. They carefully got me to check out afterwards that I would be OK with the new feel -- which they had thoroughly explained both before and after would feel a little different (less open) etc.

So I cannot imagine they could do much better customer service.

The new keys are btw kind of "Ivory-ish" in that there is a little texture on top of the keys, so they are not like e.g. the Nord keys that are completely glossy. Also, they show absolutely no sign of wear until now.

As for Nord, I haven't had to replace anything (yet...) but they have been quick to respond to email questions and inquiries -- so I'm sure they are good too.

Hopefully all will go well for pv88 too!

-- Per.

Hornung & Møller Acoustic Grand
Roland RD-700NX, Nord Electro 3, Yamaha P150, Roland JV-80
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission