2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Have decided to try these:

http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

Check out the specs on them as I believe that they will allow for a very reasonable listening experience, without the thinner sound and lack of bass to be found in many other studio monitors.*

Positives:

There are 200 watts, comprised of three speakers:

1) Powerful subwoofer to enhance the bass sounds - 130 watts.
2) Two smaller satellite speakers (for treble/mid range) - 35 watts, each.
3) Amplified system, only requires input from piano's headphone jack.

The sub-woofer can be placed below the piano, whereas the the other two satellites can be placed directly on top of the piano and can be turned to face any direction. It is the subwoofer that will give the bass sounds their fair share of emphasis.

Negatives:

No power button on back of subwoofer, so it has to be plugged into a surge protector that can be turned on/off.

*Extra note:

Even though labeled as computer speakers they can also be connected to a TV, DVD players, and, digital pianos.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I owned these speakers. I was unfortunately not very impressed with them and ended up returning them. I guess they kind of gave me the feeling that they were behind a blanket or something. Of course, my room is pretty acoustically bad. I now use the Logitech Z2300 and it's better but still not great. You can't get it any more, so I'm not actually sure I can suggest anything better than these promedias.

On a separate note, I wouldn't suggest putting the sub on the floor if you can avoid it. Somehow it all sounded significantly worse for me when it was down there. I mean, if you have to you have to, but it does sound worse in my experience. The best place to put a sub if you can is at ear level in between the satellites.

Last edited by gvfarns; 04/11/12 02:28 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't use computer speakers for any piano, least of all for a top-quality model like the V. And for that much money you can get decent bookshelf speakers.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Tried the Logitech Z2300 at 200 watts. (craiglist $50)

Agree with gvfarms ... better than my FP7 speakers, but I was expecting more after reading some great reviews on them many months ago.

After testing the Z2300's, doubt that any computer speakers will not cut it.

For the $220 you can get decent monitors (probably used) that produce a better sound.

PS : Moved the Z2300 to my TV ... they found a home there.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Also, the $219 spent with this seller was $70 more than what I could have had directly from Klipsch, at only $149.99.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Yeah that was the other thing I was going to say. I bought mine at Best Buy for $150 so the $219 seemed a little high.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
[Edited]

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Hi MacMacMac,

What would you recommend by way of bookshelf style speakers, and, would they work if they were set directly on top of the V-Piano?

Perhaps this could add a little key bed vibration?

For several years I've used a pair of large JBL towers (three-way with 10" + 5" + 1" drivers), but I recently supplemented them with a pair of bookshelf speakers resting on stands behind the piano. They're Polk RT15 speakers (two-way with 5-1/4" + 3/4" drivers).

With just the towers, the sound wasn't quite what I wanted. In particular, the sound was "down low", while I prefer the sound "up higher" as with a full-size upright piano. That's why I added the bookshelf speakers.

I don't know what the bookshelf speakers sound like all by themselves because I drive both pairs of speakers together. But I think the sound would be good with just the bookshelf speakers. They wouldn't carry the deep bass response of the JBLs, but I think they'd be adequate. (You could instead choose bookshelf speakers with 6-1/2" drivers for slightly better bass response.)

They're are lots of bookshelf speakers available on Ebay. I was considering the Boston Acoustic CR6. They're widely available and not expensive. But the Bostons became available locally on Craig's List, so I went that way instead.

J
J

D
D
If it's mostly for your own listening, then if your budget is ~$200 I'd have to suggest you seriously consider using that money to purchase a mid range set of headphones, rather than cheap speakers. $200 carefully spent will get you a reasonable listening experience with headphones, but you'd need a bigger budget to do the V-Piano (or any DP, really) justice with speakers.

For example, for sound quality, my ~$250 headphones absolutely blow my $1000 'hifi' out of the water.

Last edited by Dogthinker; 04/12/12 10:24 PM.

Current DP: Roland HP505
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Update:

Looks like I decided to try the Klipsch speakers as I can say that they really are pretty decent for the money. For as long as they will last (at a $150 value) they appear to be worth the purchase.

The subwoofer is very powerful at 130 watts, and, the two satellites put out 35 watts each for 200 watts, total. I do not hear any kind of muffled sound with the subwoofer (as gvfarns mentioned) as it is quite loud and strident if turned up, and, it simply becomes far too boomy and vibrates everything around it. Just use moderate volume levels, instead. Not too much bass is better, here.

Also, @gvfarns, perhaps you didn't get the best sound from this setup as you were using piano software, and, not just the digital piano, itself?

There is one cable that goes straight from the subwoofer to the headphone jack of the piano. That is all you need to set it up.

The clarity of the piano sounds appear to be sufficient, overall.

Can't complain, as for now...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The clarity of the piano sounds appear to be sufficient, overall.
Can't complain, as for now...

Thanks for the update.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I'm glad you are liking it.

Who knows what was up with my setup/speakers/ears that made it not good for me? Glad it's not universal.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Extra note:

As for using the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers my setup is as follows:

1) Both satellites sit atop the V-Piano with one on each end, and, I have tried angling them towards myself and slightly off to the outward direction as I find that in doing the latter (pointing them outwards and away from myself) gives a better sense of sound that surrounds me for the room that I am in.

2) The subwoofer is on the floor (as recommended by Klipsch) as I have put it in the far left corner of the V-Piano stand, since it has to go either left (or, right) of the triple pedal box. The subwoofer is directly under the bass keys on that end of the board, and, can feel some of the vibrations in the keys as well as the pedals since this sub vibrates just about everything. I didn't expect this to happen but it is a nice plus, considering that the V-Piano does not have a built-in speaker system.

I have determined that the two satellite speakers also add a small amount of vibration to the keys as well, since they sit directly on top of the piano. The satellites also come with small rubber pads that can be stuck on the bottom sides of the metal feet, adding stability for the speakers and so they do not scratch the top of the V-Piano.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi pv88.

I was wondering if you still are using the Klipsch setup and if you still recommend them.

I want to add external speakers/subwoofer but I don't want overly large speakers nor directional monitors. I really like Klipsch products and this setup has me intrigued.

Thanks!

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, I use them with a V-Piano and a Kawai EP3 and note that the speakers are hooked directly to the headphone jack on the pianos. The two satellite speakers are small enough to place them right on top of the V-Piano (one at each end) and the subwoofer can be placed below the keyboard and to the far left side to reinforce vibrations on the bass end of the keyboard.

These are not "high end" speakers/monitors but I believe that they easily outperform anything in the $200 - $300 range as you will pay only $150. They have very good treble and mid-range clarity (with tweeter horns and a midrange speaker in each satellite) and the sub speaks for itself.

There is more than enough power to drive any digital piano and you can reach acoustic-like volume levels if needed. Again, the speakers operate from a cable you attach to the headphone jack, as the output.

Klipsch makes some great products, and has for decades ...
Originally Posted by DennisKuv
I really like Klipsch products and this setup has me intrigued.
... but they also make some very low-end stuff (as do many manufacturers).

The speakers in question are meant for desktop computers. They're good enough for that, but they're really not adequate for a piano. And for this much money you can do better with proper stereo speakers.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Even though the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers are not high-end quality they are easily adequate for any digital piano, so don't be put off by thinking they don't give you decent sound. These are not your typical computer speakers that you get with most PC purchases. They have far better quality than $40 - $60 (low-end range) computer speakers.

They are decent enough to amplify the V-Piano with clear, crystal-like highs, the midrange sounds are full and resonant, and, the sub has plenty of power for the lowest bass tones, all without buzzing or distortion.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you for the replies. I am very new to the world of digital pianos. And after so much reading it does not appear any one "correct" answer to the external speaker issue. I guess that is the same for selecting a DP to begin with.

I just don't want to spend a ton of money. I just might give the Klipsch a try. Also been looking at the Sony SS-B3000 bookshelf speakers (with mini amp) and few others in that price range.

Thanks again.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission