Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1879040 - 04/13/12 04:33 PM Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
It is my understanding that the Kawai RX BLAK and Kawai Shigeru pianos both have the Millenium III action. Is the Millenium III action really identical in both lines? What are the differences, if any?????

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1879052 - 04/13/12 04:50 PM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: carey]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't think the action as such is different. Hammers might be (at least Kawai's description is different), and other parts (strings, soundboard, ...) will be. Most importantly, the instruments sound differently. Not so long ago I compared several RX2 with an SK2 - the latter was a quite another instrument. It's now standing in front of me.

#1879056 - 04/13/12 04:59 PM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: carey]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Dear Carey,
I am no expert, but I believe that the Millenium III action is the same action which is used in both the Kawai RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos.

The Shigeru Kawai action will have more meticulous regulation and adjustment in these individually crafted pianos.

However, the hammers are different. Kawai claims that the "Shiko Seion" hammers, a feature of the Shigeru Kawai range, meaning "highest level of voicing", are hand pressed and use New Zealand and Australian long fibre wool.

Regards,
Robert.

#1879071 - 04/13/12 05:20 PM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: carey]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Although I don't know the answer to your first question with certainty, it seems the actions on the Shigeru pianos are regulated to a finer degree of precision (and more to my liking than the RX Blak pianos the few times I've had a chance to try 'em back to back). The RX can seem slightly sluggish or less "dialed in" by comparison.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#1879096 - 04/13/12 05:54 PM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: carey]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
It is my understanding that the Kawai RX BLAK and Kawai Shigeru pianos both have the Millenium III action. Is the Millenium III action really identical in both lines? What are the differences, if any?????

To me the question needs to be answered by the person playing and trying the various models.

Having played literally thousands of pianos in my life, I can only remember those which were well regulated and those which were not.

If I would have taken out the action each time to see what's inside, I would be still working on this...

Norbert

#1879223 - 04/13/12 09:47 PM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: carey]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If you're asking whether or not one is inherently superior over the other, the answer is no.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1879274 - 04/13/12 11:48 PM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: beethoven986]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: beethoven986
If you're asking whether or not one is inherently superior over the other, the answer is no.

What facts or opinions, if any, are you basing your answer on?

#1879281 - 04/14/12 12:02 AM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: maurus]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: maurus
I don't think the action as such is different. Hammers might be (at least Kawai's description is different), and other parts (strings, soundboard, ...) will be. Most importantly, the instruments sound differently. Not so long ago I compared several RX2 with an SK2 - the latter was a quite another instrument. It's now standing in front of me.

Lucky you !!!!! thumb

#1879283 - 04/14/12 12:04 AM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: Robert 45]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Robert 45
Dear Carey,
I am no expert, but I believe that the Millenium III action is the same action which is used in both the Kawai RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos.

The Shigeru Kawai action will have more meticulous regulation and adjustment in these individually crafted pianos.

However, the hammers are different. Kawai claims that the "Shiko Seion" hammers, a feature of the Shigeru Kawai range, meaning "highest level of voicing", are hand pressed and use New Zealand and Australian long fibre wool.

Regards,
Robert.

Robert - while you might not be an expert, your reply does, indeed, make good sense. Thanks !!!!!!

#1879284 - 04/14/12 12:07 AM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: terminaldegree]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: terminaldegree
Although I don't know the answer to your first question with certainty, it seems the actions on the Shigeru pianos are regulated to a finer degree of precision (and more to my liking than the RX Blak pianos the few times I've had a chance to try 'em back to back). The RX can seem slightly sluggish or less "dialed in" by comparison.

Thanks for your response !

#1879288 - 04/14/12 12:10 AM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: Norbert]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:

To me the question needs to be answered by the person playing and trying the various models.

Having played literally thousands of pianos in my life, I can only remember those which were well regulated and those which were not.

If I would have taken out the action each time to see what's inside, I would be still working on this...

Norbert

Hi Norbert -

The actions are either identical or they aren't. The degree of regulation performed at the factory is another matter.

Best -

#1879289 - 04/14/12 12:14 AM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: beethoven986]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

So basically its the same action in both. Is it safe to assume that the Shigeru probably gets a bit more work in the regulation department?? smile

#1879309 - 04/14/12 12:49 AM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: carey]
Rafterman Offline

Loc: New York
Does someone have an itemized list of these two pianos features and components side by side for comparison?

#1879330 - 04/14/12 01:57 AM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: Rafterman]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rafterman
Does someone have an itemized list of these two pianos features and components side by side for comparison?

These details can be found on Kawai's websites for each piano (RX and Shigeru).

The websites for both the Kawai RX BLAK and Kawai Shigeru describe the actions as "Millenium III action with ABS carbon."

#1879388 - 04/14/12 05:39 AM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: carey]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

So basically its the same action in both. Is it safe to assume that the Shigeru probably gets a bit more work in the regulation department?? smile

I think so - if you mean: in the factory. However, a good technician can regulate an RX2 to a similar level of precision, and even an SK2 can go out of optimal regulation.

While this *has* to do with sound, and playability, it is not the only factor determining sound and the way the instrument responds. Don't underestimate the role of the hammers. And I suspect the fuller sound and sustain that I found in the two Shigerus I compared with the RX pianos has to do a lot with the strings (particularly in the bass) and other construction details.

#1879404 - 04/14/12 07:31 AM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: carey]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think that the Shigeru has exactly the same action as the RX, but the hammer head is difficult. The same level of regulation should be available on both pianos with a good technician. The soundboard is different and there is more hand finishing on the Shigeru. The price isn't soooooo much higher for a Shigeru (in the UK anyway) so it may just come down to a matter of taste between two individual pianos (say RX2 vs SK2). Some RX2 may sound better than some SK2 and vice versa.

#1879420 - 04/14/12 08:06 AM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: carey]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Not in my (limited) experience (so far).

#1879422 - 04/14/12 08:09 AM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: carey]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nor in mine, well, actually there was an old KG-2 that happened to be one of the nicest small grands I've played. That was more to do with this particular piano being exceptional than any of the others being inferior. Also, it was an exception to the rule, because usually the KG-2 isn't that good, or hasn't been looked after or etc etc.

#1879467 - 04/14/12 10:32 AM Re: Actions - RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos [Re: maurus]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: maurus
Originally Posted By: carey

I think so - if you mean: in the factory. However, a good technician can regulate an RX2 to a similar level of precision, and even an SK2 can go out of optimal regulation.

While this *has* to do with sound, and playability, it is not the only factor determining sound and the way the instrument responds. Don't underestimate the role of the hammers. And I suspect the fuller sound and sustain that I found in the two Shigerus I compared with the RX pianos has to do a lot with the strings (particularly in the bass) and other construction details.

Yes - I meant "in the factory." grin

I realize that the hammers, strings, construction details, etc. are different...I just wanted to verify that the basic "action" was the same.

Thanks !!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Lock Key -> what is it used for ?
by angga888
10/31/14 12:02 AM
Yurmauer Piano
by PhilipInChina
10/30/14 11:54 PM
Books to Learn Notes for Teenagers?
by pianoheart
10/30/14 11:37 PM
Jim Laabs Music - my experience buying a grand sight-unseen
by ernani
10/30/14 09:44 PM
Buying a Grand Paino Sight-Unseen - my personal experience.
by ernani
10/30/14 09:01 PM
Who's Online
71 registered (Anne H, ando, 21 invisible), 1558 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76712 Members
42 Forums
158628 Topics
2329755 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission