Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) The Best of Both Worlds
Yamaha Hybrid the Best of Both Worlds
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
117 registered (ando, Al LaPorte, Alexander Borro, 33 invisible), 1386 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1879357 - 04/14/12 03:17 AM Sennheiser HD-518's, versus...
pv88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Just bought the Sennheiser HD-518 headphones, and, although the overall sound is very good, have found that they are attenuating an odd sound (in the V-Piano) when striking individual notes firmly from around middle C up to two octaves higher, or so. Can't seem to figure what it might be, just yet.

I am hearing a buzzing/fuzzy/raspy kind of echo when a key is initially struck, which is more synthetic/electronic in effect, but is not metallic. It is difficult to even describe it correctly, although it helps a little when I turn the "Ambience" knob all the way down. The sound is also grating and annoying.

The Sennheiser HD-518's cost $140, however, my other two Radio Shack pairs ($35 & $6, respectively) sound a lot better, really!

I am guessing that the Sennheiser's are more sensitive in picking up these minute details, as the other ones do not pick it up.

I don't particularly like this "buzz" either, as I am looking for a way in which to tweak the sound to improve it.

So, will attempt adjusting the piano and if that doesn't work, try some other headphones.*

Hope that this isn't a sign of the dreaded midrange issue, from previous threads?

Any thoughts?

*Extra note:

There is certainly no reason to spend more than $100, again.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1879361 - 04/14/12 04:07 AM Re: Sennheiser HD-518's, versus... [Re: pv88]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Does v-piano have the piano designer features or options available on many of Rolands top end DP's? Maybe it's one of those sounds, e.g. cabinet resonance, hammer noise, damper noise , duplex, etc. They are normally most notable on the higher octaves.

#1896064 - 05/13/12 07:24 AM Re: Sennheiser HD-518's, versus... [Re: spanishbuddha]
pv88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The cheaper Radio Shack headphones sound better than the Sennheiser's as they don't bring out the inherent flaws of the piano sounds.

#1896329 - 05/13/12 06:30 PM Re: Sennheiser HD-518's, versus... [Re: pv88]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

It is possible that it could be tinnitus causing your fuzzy raspy sound you are hearing as well when certain notes are played. Since I have an excellent ear for artifacts within piano sounds, I can reassure you there is nothing unusual about the way the piano sounds within the V-piano. It is possible since you heard essbrace talking about a midrange problem that subconsciously you are putting two and two together when they most probably have nothing in common to what each of you heard when playing the V-piano.

In fact, it could very well be simply your headphones that are defective causing the strange sounds with those registers. I know that my older headphones make the V-piano sound tinny in comparison to my newer ones.

Edited by Kona_V-Piano (05/13/12 06:31 PM)
Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90

#1896348 - 05/13/12 07:38 PM Re: Sennheiser HD-518's, versus... [Re: Kona_V-Piano]
pv88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well, I would like to believe that my tinnitus (which I do have, by the way) could be creating/adding to this sound, but I quickly determined that it was not, as I hear this underlying "tone" which is quite obvious on many of the presets, regardless of which headphones are being used.

It is certainly something in the original modeled sounds as it cannot be completely tweaked out and is clearly distinguishable across all of the presets, not just a few. And, it is possible to minimize the underlying "tone" in some of the presets (like "Silver Extreme" for example) although not completely.

The more expensive audiophile (Sennheiser) headphones only appear to bring out this "tone" more prominently, whereas the cheaper ones tend to mask it just a bit, hence, sounding better.

I don't expect that any other headphones/speakers will change this tonal flaw, inherent in the original modeling.

Otherwise, do like listening to the V through my Klipsch speakers, giving things sharper overall clarity.*

*And, nice bass, with the subwoofer.

Moderator:  Piano World 
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Roland HP508 Hissing
by photo-pro-123
10/06/15 10:55 AM
Some rumor about Kawai's CN25 & Cn35 keyboard(RH3 action).
by vcsel
10/06/15 10:17 AM
Rags - looking for a series of books beginer to intermediate
by lance111
10/06/15 09:42 AM
Spotlight on a pianist
by PhilipInChina
10/06/15 08:48 AM
Trinity College London VS ABRSM
by Swansis
10/06/15 06:13 AM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
Forums Rules & Help
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Forum Stats
80,955 Registered Members
44 Forums
167,324 Topics
2,452,175 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission