Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1881300 - 04/17/12 04:50 PM Re: "DIY" DP possible? [Re: pandamonium]
erichlof Offline

Hi gvfarns, like I said I am not too electronics-savvy, but here is a link to the Pianoteq news/updates:

http://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq3_changes

Look under version 3.6.6

Unless I am misreading this, it looks like if you have a Vax77 or the 'fabled DIY keyboard with similar sensors'(haha), you will be able to utilize the extra resolution inside these piano programs.

As I understand it, the MIDI standard is 7 bit 0-127 for velocity like dewster stated before. I don't know how the software developers magically tap into the unused higher resolution values, while still sending standard MIDI data (if you don't have a Vax77), but like you said - it would be great if everything worked this way, or MIDI upped their standards. laugh

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1881309 - 04/17/12 05:11 PM Re: "DIY" DP possible? [Re: gvfarns]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I don't understand. How does HD MIDI help in this area?
Originally Posted By: gvfarns
HD MIDI ... It would make me less leery about messing with the velocity curve.

#1881316 - 04/17/12 05:20 PM Re: "DIY" DP possible? [Re: gvfarns]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
..8 bit JPEG

8 bit JPEG?

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1881325 - 04/17/12 05:32 PM Re: "DIY" DP possible? [Re: erichlof]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: erichlof
I like the spring resistance solution of the Vax77, but is there a device for measuring "total energy imparted" as you mentioned? Is this what the Hall-effect sensors are doing, or are they of the "velocity at a given position" variety?

Hall-effect devices measure magnetic field strength, and are fairly linear in this regard. But the field strength of a magnet is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. So a magnet embedded in the key interacting with the sensor will tell you non-linear position, and you will have to linearize these readings before using them to calculate energy. Software can do this, as can dedicated hardware in an FPGA. The linearized positional info can be used directly for damping.

If you know how much energy it takes to accelerate (change the velocity) of your key (something you can calculate based on the mass of the key, the distribution of the mass, and the spring force) then you can take the instantaneous positional information from the sensor and through further calculation find the energy being imparted to the key. Integrating (summing) this over time gives the work done on the key to move it.

An alternative to Hall-effect sensors and magnets might be infra-red LEDs. If you can shield them well enough from ambient light, it's pretty easy to use LEDs as both emitter and detector - you would need two LEDs per key. If you modulate the emitter and measure both lit and dark at the detector you might be able to tolerate a fair amount ambient light.

#1881353 - 04/17/12 06:14 PM Re: "DIY" DP possible? [Re: dewster]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: dewster

If I were doing this seriously I'd probably strive to deviate from the "velocity at a given position" paradigm of the two and three sensor DP actions and go more for "total energy imparted to the key over its downward travel" type thing. This could give you a better calculated pseudo final hammer velocity. I think this is why most hammer action DPs use the hammer rather than the key to actuate the position switches.

Yes, and it appears that the VAX actually does something along these lines. Quote from http://www.infiniteresponse.com/expr.html :
Quote:

A sophisticated digital signal-processing algorithm (DSP) analyzes the slightest key movement thousands of times a second. It delivers MIDI messages based on acceleration vectors, not just key speed at the bottom. Its more about how you play the note than how you hit the note. For example, you can play trills without fully depressing the keys. Many of the best keyboard players in the world play the VAX77 and find it to be the most expressive keyboard instrument ever. Never before could you play a MIDI keyboard so softly. And no matter how strongly you attack the keys, it always feels like you can dig down and get a little more out of it.

Unforunately though, the VAX doesn't feel much like a real piano.

Greg.

#1881489 - 04/17/12 11:00 PM Re: "DIY" DP possible? [Re: MacMacMac]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
I don't understand. How does HD MIDI help in this area?
HD MIDI ... It would make me less leery about messing with the velocity curve.

Velocity curves on the software side are a mapping from 1-127 into a function that is not those values, so it necessarily causes some rarification in areas where a few values are mapped into a larger number of values.

It's not as serious as the problem with the jpegs (which are all 8 bits per channel). If you edit a jpeg and adjust the colors, then save, then open it, make changes, open, make changes, etc., the quality goes down and you start to see the levels of the colors. Irrecoverable information loss. Not such a problem with higher color resolution formats.

There are other people who can explain both phenomena better than I can, but that's the general idea.

Edited by gvfarns (04/17/12 11:02 PM)

#1881490 - 04/17/12 11:03 PM Re: "DIY" DP possible? [Re: pandamonium]
9000 Post Club Member

I believe the degradation in quality experienced with repeated saving of JPEGs is due to lossy compression, not colour depth.

Cheers,
James
x

#1881493 - 04/17/12 11:07 PM Re: "DIY" DP possible? [Re: Kawai James]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
I believe the degradation in quality experienced with repeated saving of JPEGs is due to lossy compression, not colour depth.

Both cause problems (completely different ones).

The lossy compression issue causes characteristic jpeg artifacts (blocks, a certain kind of noise, etc) similar to the look if the compression was set to very aggressive.

The bit depth thing causes a different problem where relatively large areas have the exact same color, similar to the way it would look if you had downgraded it to a 256 color image or something. They call this posterization. It happens on lossless files as well if the bit depth is not high enough and the file is edited.

Actually I guess it always happens when you do certain types of edits (adjusting the white balance, for example) but with a large number of colors in a deeper palette to choose from, it's not typically visible.

The latter effect is the visual equivalent of what happens with MIDI when it is remapped. Not a problem if you start with thousands of MIDI levels.

Edited by gvfarns (04/17/12 11:43 PM)

#1881507 - 04/17/12 11:42 PM Re: "DIY" DP possible? [Re: pandamonium]
Keegan Offline

Loc: Canada (Ottawa, ON)
Funny how a topic of discussion can shift from installing an optical sensor into a grand piano action, to visual artifacts in compression of digital photos :P

#1881511 - 04/17/12 11:57 PM Re: "DIY" DP possible? [Re: gvfarns]
9000 Post Club Member

The bit depth thing causes a different problem where relatively large areas have the exact same color, similar to the way it would look if you had downgraded it to a 256 color image or something. They call this posterization. It happens on lossless files as well if the bit depth is not high enough and the file is edited.

I'm afraid I still don't follow how this relates to JPEG compression.
I skimmed through the Wikipedia entry about JPEG to refresh my knowledge, but could not find any mention of posterisation or colour banding.

Are you perhaps comparing JPG to RAW (12/14/16-bit per channel)? Or possibly moving in the other direction and comparing to GIF (8-bit colour, 256 indexed values)?

Apologies to everyone else for the off-topic - gvfarns, you can PM if preferable.

Cheers,
James
x

#1881523 - 04/18/12 12:57 AM Re: "DIY" DP possible? [Re: Kawai James]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
I'm afraid I still don't follow how this relates to JPEG compression.
I skimmed through the Wikipedia entry about JPEG to refresh my knowledge, but could not find any mention of posterisation or colour banding.

It doesn't. Compression is a separate issue. The JPEG standard happens to be limited to 8 bits per channel, which is the part that's similar to MIDI. When you have that many or fewer colors to choose from, image enhancements start to cause posterization. It happens with all formats with low bit depth, but JPEG is the most common case.

Modifying the MIDI touch response curve is similar to adjusting the color balance or something in an image, and can lead to the MIDI equivalent of posterization.

The phenomenon is not mentioned on the wikipedia page because it's not actually JPEG specific. Photography forums or photoshop forums are the place to look, where they discuss bit depth issues associated with editing. I first ran into this while discussing the gimp. The gimp can only do 8 bit color (and has for years), which causes many people to say it's not the right software to use for image enhancement. For that reason, people who edit photos seriously start with high bit depth images when they can, and edit them in photoshop.

Notice that RAW files contain more information than can be displayed in any single image, but that's a separate issue as well. Even if you first render the RAW to an image, and then take that image into an editor and tweak it like crazy, you want the image to be a higher color depth than JPEG allows or the editing will start to make it look bad.

Edited by gvfarns (04/18/12 01:04 AM)

#1881533 - 04/18/12 01:33 AM Re: "DIY" DP possible? [Re: pandamonium]
9000 Post Club Member

Okay, I see where you're coming from now. wink

So this is really a discussion about the limitations of using 8-bits per channel when performing image manipulation.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Uneven piano keys
by shah
10/23/14 08:57 AM
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
10/23/14 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
10/23/14 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
10/23/14 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
10/23/14 02:13 AM
Who's Online
151 registered (Alexander Borro, ajames, Allard, accordeur, Almaviva, 40 invisible), 1468 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76623 Members
42 Forums
158438 Topics
2326760 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission