Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1880581 - 04/16/12 02:43 PM Kawai KG2 1985 rarely used, vs a regularly used 90' KG1??
LilyHong Offline

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I have been amazed about the things I learned from here.

I'm looking for a used Kawai KG model that is <7K and came across a rarely used KG2D built 1985 for $5500 , technician said it's showromm quality and the year doesn't matter. I also tried another KG1 that is around 1992 that has duplex scaling for $6500. I'd appreciate some help on choosing one. I'd love to have the RX, but can't find any at my price range.

The KG2 also has a damp chaser. It might have caused a white spot on the bottom of the piano. There are also some black spot on a plastic film that stick out form the damp chaser. I don't think that's mildew, but was it a concern?

Thanks.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1880589 - 04/16/12 02:56 PM Re: Kawai KG2 1985 rarely used, vs a regularly used 90' KG1?? [Re: LilyHong]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi Lily, and welcome to the Piano World forums!

I think the price on the KG2 is very fair… and, your technician said it was in showroom condition. The KG1 is smaller, though newer and $1000 more. Which one did you like the best (tone, touch and appearance)?

As far as the KG1 having the duplex scale and the KG2 not, I’d go with the bigger piano rather than the duplex scale (but that is just my opinion).

As far as the issues with the damp chaser on the KG2, what did the tech say about that? It almost sounds like a contradiction in terms of it being in “showroom” condition.

I think the damp chasers are great if installed correctly and maintained correctly; I think they can be problematic if not… it is an option that has value if working properly.

Hope this helps, and keep us informed!

Rick

#1880592 - 04/16/12 03:00 PM Re: Kawai KG2 1985 rarely used, vs a regularly used 90' KG1?? [Re: LilyHong]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Bigger pianos tend to last better than smaller ones, as well as sounding better. The few extra years on the KG2 will be more than compensated by the size and the price.

#1880626 - 04/16/12 04:06 PM Re: Kawai KG2 1985 rarely used, vs a regularly used 90' KG1?? [Re: LilyHong]
LilyHong Offline

Thanks for the quick responses so far. First touch...I like the KG1 better. The KG2 felt a bit lighter (that you sometimes feel when playing some older piano), but after playing a few more songs, it felt better. I like the look for the KG2 with a few more inches. The tone of both sounds good to me. I'm not professional, I have royal sch of music gr 8, learned some jazz too, but only play occasionally now. The piano is also for my children too, so getting a piano that can at least last another 20 years is important. I have a clavinova 59S that I'd keep as well. Then I can pass one to each of my children.

The technician didn't mention the damp chaser, I have to ask him. I don't know him, he was referred by some local technician's friend out of state. He said when he looked under, he didn't see anything wrong. He also didn't see a line on a couple white keys towards the right (they are very light though, hopefully not a sign of cracking yet). He actually said if I decided not to buy it, he would buy it himself becuase it's a great piano with great sound at great price. The owner took some lessons and then stopped, so for 20+ years, the piano wasn't played much, but she kept it serviced and was diligently putting water via the tub every few weeks when the light was on. It sounds like a hassle since I haven't heard of a damp chaser before. But after reading it a bit more, it seems to be a good thing if it was done right. This damp chaser is a little bit of concerning. Do the movers take them out before moving and I'd need a technician to reinstall that when it arrives?

I also just talked to someone who's selling a KG2E built in 1992 asking 5K (but with shipping it will be similar to the KG2D since it's farther). The owner is a music major so it probably got played a lot more.

How do you compare a piano that didn't got used much to another newer (8-10 yr difference) one that was played a lot more. Do those hammers/strings would still deteriorate as time goes by even without much playing?

Thanks.

#1880666 - 04/16/12 04:54 PM Re: Kawai KG2 1985 rarely used, vs a regularly used 90' KG1?? [Re: LilyHong]
Robert 45 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
All pianos deteriorate as they age. The rate of deterioration depends mainly on the stability of the piano's environment with regard to humidity levels, temperature, the regularity of tuning and maintenance and the amount of playing. Of course, a piano which is played a lot, for example a teacher's piano or a piano in an institution, will wear out much more quickly than one which is played moderately.

Even without much playing, a piano declines. It is preferable to play a piano regularly than to leave it without playing. Regular playing helps keep the moving parts of the piano, notably the action, in good operating condition and the speaking components, mainly the strings and the soundboard, in good voice. Strings and hammers may need replacing after 30 to 40 years approximately. The sound of the piano should tell you when something needs attention.

All the best with your choice. The KG2 seems a good buy.

Kind regards,

Robert.

Edited by Robert 45 (04/16/12 04:58 PM)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (accordeur, A Guy, Al LaPorte, 52 invisible), 1415 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76037 Members
42 Forums
157219 Topics
2309141 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES7 v1.15 software update - now available
by Kawai James
09/01/14 08:43 PM
Mason & Hamlin's action vs. Kawai's Millennium III action
by ColinDS
09/01/14 08:32 PM
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
09/01/14 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
09/01/14 05:39 PM
Arrangers Comparable to Marilynn Ham Suggestions
by Hunt
09/01/14 04:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission