Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1842104 - 02/10/12 06:00 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Very good point! I didn't think of that. Okay not even going to bring it up. Thanks so much. Just one of those silly things you have pinging about your brain you know? Just kinda wanted to shut that idea up. lol

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1842340 - 02/11/12 02:05 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Dio666 Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Quote:
If you can play them easily, then you'll get through them quickly. If they take more work, then you needed the practice.

That is a great quote, 88! I'm going to remember that the next time I turn a page in my lesson book and groan at the song I'm supposed to learn next. Although with these Faber books, I usually groan when I turn the next page and find a tired old song, and then I love the arrangement once I play it.

It sounds like the teacher is working out well for you, Becca! That's great! Keep us updated.

Quick update on my progress: I finished the Developing Artist Preparatory Piano Literature book and have completed the first three pieces in the Piano Lit. Book 1. I'm 3/4 of the way through the Adult Book 2 and I'm working on my first non-Faber piece right now. It's "The Living Years", a pop song from the late eighties. It's a Dan Coates arrangement from and easy piano book, (which doesn't feel very easy at this point). It's taken me a week, but I've almost got it so now I need to get back to my Faber lesson book.
Chopin - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28 No. 4
Audio Progress Log:
http://soundcloud.com/rjdio666/sets/chris-learning-piano-12-2011

#1842619 - 02/11/12 01:28 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congrats on finishing the Developing Artist! Your first outside Faber piece! smile How long have you worked to get to that point?

Fabulous progress!

Yes my teacher is working out really great. He's also teaching my son violin, so we are starting to get to know him rather well. I really enjoy his guidance. He's just a really great guy to work with!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1844539 - 02/14/12 02:30 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Dio666 Offline

Becca,
Well the short answer is I've worked for two months to get here. The more accurate answer is that I've worked for twenty years and two months. I played the trumpet for nine years and the guitar for eleven after that. So the piano is new to me but making music is not. Book one went really fast because I knew all the theory and how to read music, (although I'm pretty weak on reading bass clef). So now that I'm most of the way through Adult Book 2, I'm slowing down to a more "normal" speed because the piano technique is a much bigger deal than understanding theory or being able to read music at this point. I'm hoping to start book 3A this summer.

That's awesome that your son is learning violin. What a cool instrument. My oldest is four and I just bought her the Faber "My First Piano Adventure" so I'm hoping to start her on that soon. I'm really hoping my kids get into music. I don't want to push too hard though. My wife was forced into piano lessons as a kid and has had no desire to make music since.
Audio Progress Log:

#1859548 - 03/10/12 04:48 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Level 3A Performance, lesson 3, Hot Summer Blues. There's a not-too-hard teacher duet part, so I recorded it so I can play along with it. Fun!

There's a duet piece in the Developing Artists repertoire book I'm working out of too (Piano Literature level 3), so now I can look forward to playing that in iPhone duet with myself when I get to it.

In non-duet news, I really like the arrangement of Amazing Grace in level 3A. It has a satisfying harmony, and all the triplet decorations with which I'm used to singing the tune.

#1859691 - 03/11/12 12:22 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Dio666 Offline

PianoStudent88,
I should be there in a couple of months, I'm nearing the end of Adult Book 2. I usually learn the teacher duet parts, too. Some of them are challenging, the one for Ponies in the Prep. Piano Literature book almost killed me, but they make for neat sounding recordings. And I'm always impressed with the arrangements in these Faber books.

I've been stagnating on the Faber stuff lately because I've been working on other pieces. I learned "In Dreams" from the Lord of the Rings Soundtrack easy piano book, (which is not that easy for me). I learned an easy piano version of The Living Years, and now I'm working on Chopin's Prelude No. 4 in E Minor which is arguably his easiest piece, but still quite a challenge for me. It's coming along nicely though. I've also started Clair de Lune from the Piano from Scratch website which is really cool. The instructor teaches the song one measure at a time, and assumes you have no prior experience on the piano. It's going to take me a couple of years, but it's a lot of fun and I have the first eight bars or so down.

So I need to make more time to finish Adult Book 2 and to continue on the Developing Artist Piano Lit. Book 1. Now that this thread has been resurrected, maybe I'll be motivated to get back to my Faber books.

I hope you are all doing well and let's keep the Faber thread alive!
Audio Progress Log:

#1859793 - 03/11/12 10:53 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Is there any website I can download the MIDIs for the "Accelerated Piano Adventures for the older beginner lesson book, book 2"? Thanks!

Wow... Dio666, I'm listening to your recordings, that's quite an achievement for only 3 months into learning piano... very smooth and soothing MUSIC!

Unit 11 of Faber's Accelerated Lesson Book 2

Collections from Piano World for Adult Beginners

#1880663 - 04/16/12 04:53 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Is anyone still working on this?

I'm still in book one, but supplementing with learning Moonlight Sonata (umm.. not sure what level.) It's slow going but I'm having fun. I'm working on Oh Susuzanna and Ode to Joy.

How is everyone else?

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1880676 - 04/16/12 05:07 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Methodically working my way through 3A, at 4 pages a week (plus Technique & Artistry). Sometimes I think I could go faster, but I think it's better to make myself be thorough. If I let myself go faster I think I'd be too tempted to cut corners sometimes.

#1880879 - 04/17/12 12:21 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I've been slacking. I started working on a couple of Joplin pieces. I'm almost finished with Weeping Willow. I'm still planning to finish going through at least 3a and hopefully 3b this year.
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1881144 - 04/17/12 12:00 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

LOL seems the last month or so we are all slacking! I will be very happy when I catch up to you guys! smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1881148 - 04/17/12 12:03 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Michael Taylor, where are you up to in 3A?

#1881343 - 04/17/12 05:57 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
ragtimefordrones Offline

Hello fellow classmates!

I'm new to this method book series but am starting with the Accelerated PA Book 2 for revision.

Good luck to everyone and honestly people, start posting some of your renditions! laugh

#1881352 - 04/17/12 06:11 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I haven't touched it in a while! I'm going to jump back into the books this week. I have played several pieces from the 3a Performance Book.
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1881375 - 04/17/12 06:55 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: ragtimefordrones]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Originally Posted By: ragtimefordrones

I'm new to this method book series but am starting with the Accelerated PA Book 2 for revision.

ha I just started reading this book (lesson book) last night...

I got a question on page 9: How should I play the red circled measure? is it the same as:

right hand: 1/8 note, 1/4 rest, 1/8 note
left hand: 1/8 rest, 1/8 note, 1/8 note, 1/8 rest?

Thanks for any pointers!

Edited by Wish4 Thing (04/17/12 07:09 PM)
Edit Reason: As ragtimefordrones pointed out below, I confused left and right;)

#1881385 - 04/17/12 07:06 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: Wish4 Thing]
ragtimefordrones Offline

Originally Posted By: Wish4 Thing
I got a question on page 9: How should I play the red circled measure? is it the same as:

left hand: 1/8 note, 1/4 rest, 1/8 note
right hand: 1/8 rest, 1/8 note, 1/8 note, 1/8 rest?

I think you confused your left and right but other than that yes! I think that is the general idea! laugh

Don't forget the stylistic indication, though. keep your wrists light and play the notes evenly wink

#1881386 - 04/17/12 07:07 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: ragtimefordrones]
Wish4 Thing Offline

I think you confused your left and right but other than that yes! I think that is the general idea! laugh

Don't forget the stylistic indication, though. keep your wrists light and play the notes evenly wink

oops... thanks for correction! it's been a long day wink

Anyway, that notation doesn't look very clear to me... is it common?

#1881410 - 04/17/12 08:10 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Not terribly common, but not entirely uncommon. It's expressing a single figure of four eighth notes divided between two hands. You will find this and other kind of indications at times that go outside the typical realm of treble clef RH notes and, completely separate, bass clef LH notes.

#1881415 - 04/17/12 08:20 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
ragtimefordrones Offline

I think it was used in this case to make reading easier, but nevertheless I find it strange to just beam all the 1/8 notes together.

Great for sight reading at tempo though.

#1881455 - 04/17/12 09:47 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
LizAnne Offline

I'm in the middle of Adult Piano Adventures book 1. I plan to advance quickly (ha!), but it's good to know y'all are here if get stumped by Faber.

#1881470 - 04/17/12 10:20 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome everyone!

I'm in Accelerated 1 for the moment. (being swtiched soon by my teacher...)

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1881516 - 04/18/12 12:23 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Dio666 Offline

I'm glad I'm not the only one slacking on the Faber stuff lately! I was home sick today and yesterday and learned a couple more pieces from the Faber Developing Artist Piano Lit Book 1. And I got through maybe two pages of the Faber Adult Book 2. I'm really near the end but I've been distracted with an Easy Piano Lord of the Rings piece and Chopin's Prelude in E Minor No. 4. They're both a bit above me so they took a long time, but I've got them down fairly well now, (you can hear the recordings from the link in my sig). I really need to get back to my Faber book because I would like to begin and complete 3A this year, and I should probably start working on Christmas music soon if I'm going to have it ready in time. smile
Audio Progress Log:

#1881664 - 04/18/12 10:02 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Thanks, PianoStudent88 and ragtimefordrones.

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
Not terribly common, but not entirely uncommon..... You will find this and other kind of indications at times that go outside the typical realm of treble clef RH notes and, completely separate, bass clef LH notes.

I think it was used in this case to make reading easier, but nevertheless I find it strange to just beam all the 1/8 notes together.

Great for sight reading at tempo though.

I'm so used to reading treble and bass line for RH and LH separately and independently. All of a sudden, they put them together, it actually made it more difficult for me to understand...:) It wasn't clear to me when I play the first 1/8 on left hand, should my right hand rest or continue holding the key... that was the confusion I had...

Now the confusion is cleared, thanks again!

#1881714 - 04/18/12 11:54 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

On Friday I'm being swtiched from Faber to one of the ALfred books level 2 or 3 (regular series though.) My teacher is more comfortable with them and hopes to stop me from modifying all the songs! LOL Fabers arrangements just don't sound right and I keep correnting them as I go.

I'll still come and bug you guys though! I will still use the performance, and pop lit. ones to play out of. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1881719 - 04/18/12 12:03 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Interesting -- the Fabers' arrangements are supposed to be one of the strengths of the books: that students like the music. Can you say what in general doesn't sound right? Harmony? Rhythm? Something else?

#1881723 - 04/18/12 12:15 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I can give an example of one that is driving me crazy right now. In Ode to Joy, in the opening phrase (left hand) the last measure is written as: qe, qd, hd. It normally is written as: dotted qe, 8thd, hd. We had to write that into all of mine. It drove me nuts.

I do like the songs they have, I just can't stand the arrangements! LOL

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1881750 - 04/18/12 01:06 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ah yes, the dread "we've taught all the notes for this, but not the rhythms, so we'll write it with the wrong rhythm." I'd be interested to know if you find more of the same in Alfred -- it seems to come with the territory of the earlier stages of method books. There were a few like this in Alfred Adult All-In-One book 1.

#1881787 - 04/18/12 02:21 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh ugh that is not good! That means there is more of it no matter the method.. ahhhhhh! LOL smile Just kidding...

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1886241 - 04/25/12 11:01 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoPraise Offline

I am still working diligently on Book 1. I am on the last song in the book "Banuwa". Then there is a review piece then book 2.

I am excited to be almost finished with book 1, although it has taken me a lot longer than I expected. I am happy with my progress and ready for the adventures of book 2.

Happy Playing

#1886252 - 04/25/12 11:19 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh exciting! Congrats!

I'm still in Faber for the meantime. My piano teacher had a death in the family so no lessons for awhile. So I'm just enjoying playing through some of the Faber songs and working on my recital peice. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
YAMAHA U1E polished mahogany
by CYBERSPRITE
10/23/14 05:13 PM
What did you play tonight?
by Johan B
10/23/14 05:10 PM
Novice in love with Kawai and seeking advice!
by Ellisande
10/23/14 05:03 PM
SF Symphony pianist at Steingraeber recital / reception
by master88er
10/23/14 03:31 PM
Ferdinand "???" Piano from Vienna?
by TheloniousPunk
10/23/14 02:20 PM
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, ajames, 31 invisible), 1599 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76631 Members
42 Forums
158446 Topics
2326881 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission