Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#188275 - 08/29/02 01:19 PM Uh oh I just bought a piano!
jeffylube Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Weatherford, Texas
Yes it's over. My piano shopping experience has come to a welcomed close. I bought a...Kawai RX-2. Let me tell you about the deal I got on it.

I went to a clearance center for pianos. Basically (If I'm correct on this) they get repos and consignment pianos in and sell them for the finance companies and people that own them. So overall I liked this in that the dealer makes their money on moving the piano and not on selling it at a certain number of dollars over the cost.

I tried about 8 different pianos there but that particular Kawai stole my heart. I've always liked the Kawai pianos but had never tried a RX. I liked it more than the older ones. The dealer said it was new in the sense that it just came from another dealer's (that went bankrupt) showroom floor but has never been bought and hardly played. I could tell this by how the hammers didn't look pressed at all.

He told me to make a low offer and he would send it to the company that owns it and see what happens. He said he would recommend offering about half of the retail on the piano and then work up if need be. I said I'll give him $11500 for it. He said ok. Went and called the company and told him of my offer, said I'm getting married next month (I really am) and so I couldn't do more than that. The guy on the phone said the payoff is roughly $12500 and he would go ahead and give it to me for $11600 and some change. I said ok.

The dealer than worked up the figures, worked around me having to put a down on it (REALLY important to me), and came out with the numbers that I was wanting. Then, as a wedding gift \:\) he threw in a new artist bench. So overall, I walked out of there very pleased. \:D

One thing though, and I just posted a separate topic on this, since the piano was bought from Vancouver, the Kawai warranty is not valid I believe. The dealer said they give a 10 year parts and labor warranty on it to make up for that. He said they have some excellent techs that have been in the business for a long time and that since it's a new piano, I shouldn't have to worry about having problems with it in 10 years. We'll see. It was a risk I was willing to take.

Lastly, I would like to thank RDEUTSCH for his friendly service and upfront attitude. I originally was leaning towards purchasing a Pramberger from him and he went out of his way to get the pianos ready and to cater to my needs. But when it came down to it, I had to pick the piano that appealed to me the most, and it was the Kawai. He's the owner of Dallas Piano Warehouse and if you're in this area I would highly recommend him.

Thanks to everyone that's helped answer my questions and concerns!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#188276 - 08/29/02 01:20 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Congratulations!!
Happy Piano.

\:D

#188277 - 08/29/02 01:25 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
I like the Kawai RX-2, myself. Nice piano. And since a brand new one is around 15-16K, nice price.

Enjoy! \:\) And.... Happy Piano!!![/b] \:D

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#188278 - 08/29/02 01:29 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
I have an RX-3 that I like even more now than when I bought it. You made an excellent choice. ;\)

#188279 - 08/29/02 06:09 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
jeffylube Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh my! I just got back test driving my new baby... \:D They already delivered it. Not bad waiting time. In short, I LOVE IT! It's amazing how much my talent just improved having a piano with a "new" action. I just got a loft not too long ago in downtown and it has wood floors and about 30 foot ceilings. And oh boy does it sound good in there. I can't wait to get it tuned!

I got a question for you guys, (what's new I know) I've read alot about the dampp-chaser but I'm not sure if I'm in an area where I would have to worry about it. It's as hot as h-ell here, and I'm so warped from living here all my life that I don't really know how it compares to other parts of the states.

Another thing, I recalled one of my teachers (who also was a tech) always talked about how important it was to not have a piano close to a door or window that opens often and that it's best to place it in a corner where there's no air blowing on it. Got any suggestions as to what I should keep in mind when placing the piano in the room? Basically I'm looking at taking all precautions so as to keep the piano in the best shape possible.

JBryan, so I guess you're my new Kawai brother? :p

#188280 - 08/29/02 07:05 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
the artist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tulsa, OK
Congratulations on a fine piano!!! -- It's been fun following you on your shopping experience!

I guess this calls for another happy dance!

_Brad

#188281 - 08/30/02 12:29 AM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Congratulations on your new piano, Jeff! May you have many happy years! \:\) Jodi

#188282 - 08/30/02 01:09 AM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
indigo Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City
Lucky, lucky you! I'll miss reading your posts about the hunt. Enjoy your new baby. \:\) \:\) \:\)

#188283 - 08/30/02 12:35 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
Frank Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Jeffylube,
1st- Congrats on your new piano. Kawai make some wonderful pianos and it sounds like you found the one that spoke to you.
2nd- Check with Kawai re:serial # and warranty because I can assure you if the piano was bought from Vancouver as your post states, the only authorised Kawai dealers here are not bankrupt and are thriving well creating lots of competition for myself,Norbert and all the other Vanc. dealers.
I do think you were misled but if you contact Kawai and have a trace you MAY find it is from the U.S. in which you should still have a factory warranty.
That will make your purchase even better.
Happy music.
Frank
www.loewenpianohouse.com

#188284 - 08/30/02 12:47 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
jeffylube Offline
500 Post Club Member

I can clear up the warranty issue a little bit. I spoke with Kawai and they said that the piano is a 2001 model and it was originally bought in Japan by a piano teacher. She then sold it and Kawai of course doesn't know where it went from there. The dealer that I bought it from said they got it in Vancouver from a dealer that went under, but it was NOT a Kawai dealer. They never said that it was a Kawai dealer, so they being honest with me on that.

#188285 - 08/30/02 01:07 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
Steve Miller Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
Congrats on the new piano!

Music all around!

#188286 - 08/30/02 01:09 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
jeffylube Offline
500 Post Club Member

Would this piano be considered a "Grey Market" piano? I'm not too worried about that since it's only a year old (or should I be?), but I'm just curious.

#188287 - 08/30/02 01:16 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
bcarey Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Congratulations on your RX2! Hope to announce what I/my church will be buying very soon! I can't wait!

#188288 - 08/30/02 01:17 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
 Quote:
Originally posted by jeffylube:
Would this piano be considered a "Grey Market" piano? I'm not too worried about that since it's only a year old (or should I be?), but I'm just curious.[/b]
Yep, that's exactly what it is, a grey market piano. So what?! Kawai makes no claims about "seasoning for destination", so, if the piano is a year old and you're getting a decent warranty from the dealer, there's really nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your new piano in good health and peace of mind! \:D

#188289 - 08/30/02 01:37 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
Norbert Online   content

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Congratulations, nice piano!

I just dont like the stories of dealers selling other dealers inventories "who went bankrupt"

Kawai and Yamaha choose strong dealers who are not just going bankrupt that easily.

It's the endlessly phoney stories about such
'sales' and 'clearences' that is ......

BANKRUPT!

Besides that.......ENJOY!!

norbert

#188290 - 08/30/02 02:00 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Jeffylube:

Congratulations on both your new family additions!

Nina

#188291 - 08/30/02 02:09 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Enjoy! \:\)

#188292 - 08/30/02 04:15 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
Frank Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Jeffylube,
Again to set the record straight for any future dealings you have with the company you bought your piano from,to the best of my knowledge and I think I know, nobody has gone bankrupt and closed in Vanc., especially any one who would be bringing in gray market pianos only a year old.
You have a great piano, but these stories hurt the honest dealers.
Frank
www.lowenpianohouse.com

#188293 - 08/30/02 04:25 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
jeffylube Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmm...

Well I hope my story doesn't hurt the honest dealers.

I'm not real sure if the dealer I bought from was trying to be dishonest, didn't know, or was just telling me all that he knew. The type of place that it was was basically like a holding station for other companies/peoples pianos. They don't take an approach like other dealers do I don't think. They just move the pianos and so I could see them not really needing every bit of background info on the pianos since they don't really own them.

As far as grey market goes, is this really such a negative thing? That's what I think of when I see it but when I checked on some previous threads others seemed like it could be a really good deal for the buyer.

I am kinda annoyed that after spending about a month doing thorough research on pianos, that I happened to buy one that I didn't know ALL the facts on. HOWEVER, even if I did know them, I would've still bought it.

#188294 - 08/30/02 04:49 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
Norbert Online   content

jeffylube:

We're talking Vancouver,Wa here right..NOT our
holy city Vancouver,B.C.!!

[we're way too stubborn to go bankrupt here....]

norbert ;\)

#188295 - 08/30/02 04:50 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
jeffylube Offline
500 Post Club Member

:p

#188296 - 08/30/02 06:12 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
CW190 Offline

I believe I know the dealer in Dallas you purchased your piano from and he does not carry any new piano lines. He has been involved in, should we say, numerous "shady" piano deals and gross misrepresentations.

Good Luck However.

Buyer beware

#188297 - 08/30/02 08:34 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
G-Man Offline

Loc: Dallas Texas
Dear Jeffy Lube,

This is a responce to the comments made by CW190(above). Firstly, there were three false statements in his comments about R. Duetcsh. Number One. He is not the owner. Number Two, his comment was there are no new lines of pianos, when in fact there are six lines of new pianos. And Number Three, he is not a shady person, and I can tell you from experience, that he will go out of his way, and above and beyond the call of duty, to insure that you will receive quality product and customer as well as technical service.

#188298 - 08/30/02 08:49 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
CW190 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
Dear Jeffy Lube,

This is a responce to the comments made by CW190(above). Firstly, there were three false statements in his comments about R. Duetcsh. Number One. He is not the owner. Number Two, his comment was there are no new lines of pianos, when in fact there are six lines of new pianos. And Number Three, he is not a shady person, and I can tell you from experience, that he will go out of his way, and above and beyond the call of duty, to insure that you will receive quality product and customer as well as technical service.[/b]
Dear G-Man,

You are mistaken. I am NOT speaking of the dealership that R. Deutch works for. I am speaking of the dealer in Dallas where Jeffylube purchased a used Kawaii RX-2. He did NOT purchase it from R. Deutch. Sadly enough \:D R. Deutch is a friend of mind and he is NOT a shady person. He's a lot of other things, but not shady. \:D \:D \:D

I'm sorry you were confused, but then again its Friday night in Dallas!

#188299 - 08/30/02 08:53 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
RICKMANINOF Offline

Loc: SAN FRANCISCO
SO, you went thruogh a whole expedition shopping for your piano and you bought a KAWAI mmhh! \:\)
$11,600 for less than that you could buy a Pramberger JP185 bigger piano and maybe nicer.

I thought this movie had a better end.

#188300 - 08/30/02 08:54 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
Norbert Online   content

Chris:

Dealer cost for RX-2 $ US 15.500 ??

Perhaps not kosher to mention here, but I think it's less.

[Quite a bit less!]

norbert

#188301 - 08/30/02 09:31 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
Norbert Online   content

Chris, sorry I meant $ 10.500...but....

I thought it really was still less!

[you can e-mail me if you happen to know the exact amount,it's not fair to post it here!]

norbert
excelpianos@telus.net

#188302 - 08/30/02 09:57 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
Alex Hernandez Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Jeffy, Enjoy your new piano. How many dealers have had stock on their floor well over a year and still sell it as a new piano?...The answer is many, especially those who carry lesser known or more exotic pianos.

I feel that Kawai makes a better piano then Young Chang but that is my opinion of course.

I know that you will enjoy this piano for many years to come Congrats!!! \:D

I was wondering if your fiance plays and what does she think about it?

Bl√ľthner USA, LLC

#188303 - 08/30/02 10:14 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
CW190 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex HernŠndez:

I feel that Kawai makes a better piano then Young Chang but that is my opinion of course.

[/b]
Yes!!! Just as I feel that Bosendorfer makes a better piano than Bluthner, but that is my opinion of course!!! \:D \:D \:D

#188304 - 08/30/02 11:12 PM Re: Uh oh I just bought a piano!
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Coxsackie, New York
Well, to answer the question about Dampp-chaser and Texas, is it different from other parts of the country? My dad knows more about Texas than I do having only driven across the panhandle one day back in late fall of 98, but he says that itís the only place he knows of where it can go from 100 degrees to snow the same day, yes with a dust storm in between. Nobody has weirder weather than Texans, which can really whipsaw a piano.

But is Dampp-chaser the answer? I used to think so until I met a guy who takes care of pianos at a number of venues in New York City and elsewhere. He says, for uprights the Dampp-chaser is fine since itís controlling the humidity in an enclosed space, but for a grand, he prefers room humidity control systems. Temps may rise or fall, but try to keep the humidity steady at about 40%. In a great big room with great high ceilings this may be tough, I donít know. If itís YOUR space Iíd certainly have it looked at. Oh of course be sure to keep the piano out of the sun, especially the tuning pins.

Good luck and congratulations on your new piano!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (accordeur, 36251, A Guy, 40 invisible), 1738 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74215 Members
42 Forums
153524 Topics
2249801 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
04/17/14 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
04/17/14 10:50 AM
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
04/17/14 10:50 AM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 09:37 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
04/17/14 09:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission