2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
What I don't get about this is that a real piano will show similar signs of wear after time and the RD700NX at least that I can see doesn't seem to my eyes to be significantly worse then the previous RD700GX and neither caused any issues in playability.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pv88
...the particles of plastic that come off may very well get lodged in the sensors/action below the keys, screwing stuff up.

I do not recall seeing any reports of this happening from other Roland owner's. I wonder if you're not being just a little melodramatic?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
As a V-Piano owner, I see just one probable cause for scratched keys:

The Hands

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I do not recall seeing any reports of this happening from other Roland owner's. I wonder if you're not being just a little melodramatic?

Well, perhaps this hasn't happened as of yet, but I do want Roland to ponder over the five questions I just sent them (via e-mail "Support" on their website), since it might just open their half-shut sleepy eyes just a little:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product: V-Piano

Subject: Particle debris from keys / Five (5) questions

Question(s):

1) How do you prevent the plastic debris (of tiny particles) from the "Ivory Feel" keys from screwing up the sensors/action underneath, due to fingernail scratching?
2) Does vacuuming the keys now become a mandatory procedure?
3) Is 3-5 months normal wear time expectancy for these keys?
4) How many key bed changes are allowed under warranty?
5) After warranty runs out, what do you provide?

Answers:

1) Not possible
2) Yes
3) Maybe, I dunno...
4) Can't count that high
5) Nada

Response: Pending

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roland will probably think that I am either a nut, or joking, however, I am serious with getting them to look at the issues.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My keys on my RD-700GXF wore just like the pictures above. And to be honest, I liked the rougher feel. I wish I could put the ivory feel keys in my Nord.

I'm not trivialising Richard's disappointment at all, because he saved for a long time and spent a lot of money and to be fair, if three other major brands, Kawai, Yamaha, and Casio can put out Ivory feel keys and not have issues with scratching and deteriorating coatings, I'm not sure what Roland's problem is. They've been dealing with this for 4 years ever since they launched the RD-700GX with the first ivory feel keys.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
P
P
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
What I don't get about this is that a real piano will show similar signs of wear after time and the RD700NX at least that I can see doesn't seem to my eyes to be significantly worse then the previous RD700GX and neither caused any issues in playability.

Well, I have a real grand a few meters away from my RD700NX here also. The keys are real ivory and are likely around 80 years old. They show no sign of comparable wear, and -- due to the fact that they are ivory -- are very easy to polish to the degree you'd like, thus maintaining them in a good condition.

As for the scratches you've seen on the images above, then it did impact the playability for me, as these rough spots on some of the keys felt like I had "gunk" on my fingers (which I'm quite sensitive of when playing) -- depending on which key I played in :-) And yes, this happened also when playing somewhere "for real", not only when sitting at home.

The new keys feel very different and show no sign of wear. I think they are similar or identical to the FP7F keys that are currently being manufactured, from what I've seen.

My own theory is that there may have been several generations of key formulation over time, but I don't know for sure, obviously.

-- Per.

Hornung & Møller Acoustic Grand
Roland RD-700NX, Nord Electro 3, Yamaha P150, Roland JV-80
P
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
...the particles of plastic that come off may very well get lodged in the sensors/action below the keys, screwing stuff up.

I don't think the sensors will be impacted by the white dust that rips of; as far as I know they are pretty well sealed.

A small amount of white dust is there, of course, and can be seen on the keys after playing. I've never personally noticed "white fingers" after playing although others might have?

-- Per.

P
P
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
My keys on my RD-700GXF wore just like the pictures above. And to be honest, I liked the rougher feel. I wish I could put the ivory feel keys in my Nord.

You're not the only one saying so! I've heard that from others too. The original ivory feel keys are really great playing on (disregarding the wear for a minute).

I also spent some time thinking whether I should just live with it or not, but in the end I preferred a "cleaner" feeling keyboard even if it felt a bit more like normal plastic keys.

-- Per.

P
P
Originally Posted by alekkh
As a V-Piano owner, I see just one probable cause for scratched keys:

The Hands

Well, there is probably some truth in that, but it is not the only part of the equation:

Old Keys := The keybed my RD700NX came with
New Keys := The keybed that has now replaced the Old Keys

Old Keys + My Hands + 2 months => Noticeable wear

Old Keys + Someone Else's Hands + 2 hours => Significantly increased wear

New Keys + My Hands + 2 months => Absolutely NO signs of any wear

Old Keys + Unknown Hands + N months => Sometimes no wear, sometimes wear

If needed, I could upload a picture of my hands for reference (just joking)... They are in clean condition, with very short nails (otherwise they get in the way of my fretless bass playing).

So if anywhere, the old YMMV certainly seems to imply here :-)

My old and new keys are indeed very different, and I was alerted to this fact before I got them replaced, so that I would know they feel different and more closed. Some like the old keys better (I actually did). If they had not been showing significant wear, I would have kept them, so I understand why someone that has softer hands and no wear may want to keep them :-)

-- Per.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Update:

It has been suggested to me that I now try to reach Roland HQ (at the corporate level) to see if I can't get something done for getting a new set of keys that actually do have the resilient key tops, and, not just guess work.

If the next key bed doesn't have resilient non-scratch keys then I am just wasting my time with getting the key bed swapped out, again.

The new keys I had been given now (after a long 8 week wait) are going to eventually show wear, just like the original ones.

Is there someone at Roland that can confirm resilient non-scratch key tops in advance, before the key bed ships out?

Otherwise, there is no reason to send it!

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Have you spoken, not email, to a manager at Roland customer support?

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Have you spoken, not email, to a manager at Roland customer support?

Yes, I have already tried talking with several people now at Roland customer support, and, they are saying to ask my local shop to reorder another key bed since the shop does the work.

Why keep reordering key beds since they are not scratch resistant?

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Extra note:

Here is my latest correspondence with Roland Corporation representative, Roger Halvorson, and, he tells me this:

Hi Richard,

As you can imagine, Roland has sold a lot of pianos with the ivory feel finish in the last several years and our service department tells us there is a very small percentage of service requests or repairs for these keyboards. We have tried to be as straighfoward with you as we can and have shipped the latest keyboard we could get from Japan for your piano. It may be that there will be a different model or update of this keyboard in the future, but for now, this is all we have available.

Regarding the pictures, we can't comment on them since we don't really know how this particular instrument has been played or what has been done. We do have several keyboards open and in use here at our offices in Los Angeles, and have not seem this type of scoring. At this point, we would just ask that you try playing the piano for a while and make your own conclusions on how it is wearing as you go. If you have any problems, we will do our best to take care of you.

Best Regards,

Roger Halvorson
Roland Corp. U.S.

Please note where he mentions "this is all we have available" meaning that the key bed sent from Japan is their most current stuff, although it appears that it is still going to show wear just as the original key bed did.

I am now asking Mr. Halvorson to get in touch with our bennevis here, to confirm his success with the Roland (UK) keys, and, to see if he can't get the same all "white key replacements" from Roland (UK), as it appears that Roland (US) does not have any to offer, according to Mr. Halvorson.

1) Why should Roland (UK) key beds be any different from Roland (US)?

2) Roland (US) doesn't have the same "white key replacements?"

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by bennevis
My white keys (not the whole keybed) were individually replaced and have no wear whatsoever since then, despite some hard-hitting stuff......

Important update:

I have to believe that the above statement is the key to fixing V-Piano's with key wear, since bennevis' white keys replacement has apparently done the job.

The only question that remains for Roland (US), is:

What white keys (exactly) were used in bennevis' service repair in the UK, and, can this be accomplished, here?

I am currently waiting on a reply from Roland to see if this is an option, as it may be a viable solution.

The current full (88-note) key bed I received from Japan is not resilient to wear, as such.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bennevis
My white keys (not the whole keybed) were individually replaced and have no wear whatsoever since then, despite some hard-hitting stuff......

Important update:

I have to believe that the above statement is the key to fixing V-Piano's with key wear, since bennevis' white keys replacement has apparently done the job.

The only question that remains for Roland (US), is:

What white keys (exactly) were used in bennevis' service repair in the UK, and, can this be accomplished, here?

I am currently waiting on a reply from Roland to see if this is an option, as it may be a viable solution.

The current full (88-note) key bed I received from Japan is not resilient to wear, as such.

Maybe Bennevis could do you a favour and make some enquiries with his repairer or at least put you in touch with them. It's got to be possible if it's been done once.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
i don't get it.... i 've had a v-piano for over 2 years and i play it a lot (but not daily) across a variety of styles and key pressures- and i've seen absolutely no wear on the keys at all. could it be because i keep my fingernails very short and play somewhat flathanded with the soft pads of my fingertips (which may be lousy posture or not) as the main striking surface?

Last edited by bfb; 04/29/12 01:38 PM.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Might be Bruce - but I really think Roland's plastic is made in batches - and it's probably out-sourced. That's just my guess anyway. Some wears a lot, some really doesn't wear. There are first generation Ivory Feel keys out there (now five years old) that are still fine. I bet there are people out there who have played a lot on two Ivory Feel pianos and seen wear on one but not another.

I could also be persuaded that there might be an element of chemistry going on between different human beings (the concentrations of substances in the individual's sweat and skin oils perhaps) in conjunction with different batches/formulations of this plastic that have a greater or lesser hardness (for want of a better word).

It might be quite a complex set of circumstances that gives rise to wear or no wear. In any event, it is all entirely unacceptable in my view - if Casio/Yamaha/Kawai can do it right I'm sure Roland should be able to as well.

K
K
Keep us informed pv88 as my V-piano still has no signs of keytop wear yet. However I do cut my fingernails short and I wash my hands before playing. Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones and got a good batch of synthetic ivory keytops. The display V-piano at Sam Ashe is simply in terrible shape and has turned a nasty brown color from all the playing. It is super rough and interesting to play as it feels like a 100 year old bar piano with keys that have never been cleaned or they have been cleaned with sandpaper. If I'm the only one playing my V, then I don't see that ever happening.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
My FP-7F has the Ivory Feel (I think) and it doesn't scratch at all...:O (I love the key texture by the way)

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
@Kona_V-Piano,

Sure would like to see some photos of the display V-Piano at your Sam Ash store, if you could somehow snap some pictures of the keys?

I imagine that a small cell phone (with built-in camera) would do the job!

This could be documented here, and, sent to Roland.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission