2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I'm looking for a DP to learn on for non-classical music. Home use only, no gigging. I can get these three DPs locally for $1600, which is pretty much the top of my budget. (I already have good monitors.) I'd love to spend more if I could but I can't, and this would be my only DP for a couple of years.

Are there any important differences I should know about these models? I'm a newbie to pianos and am self-taught with synths, but I'm hoping to get a decent enough DP to start taking lessons this summer and get decent technique (and unlearn my own bad technique).

EDIT: The Nord is the original version, which I can get with a 30-day return. The other DPs can be bought new with warranty.

Last edited by Turnabout; 04/28/12 10:00 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
All three boards you list are pretty good - it really comes down to personal preference, so you need to play-test them for a while first.

I would recommend the RD-300NX over the FP-4F though, especially if you already have a pair of monitors.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
There are many feature differences among them, but assuming you don't care about anything except piano sounds, it's personal taste as to which sounds and feels best. I would take the Nord. My second choice would be the Yamaha, but its action is too heavy feeling for my taste, and the interface is the least clear of the three. I'm not a fan of the Roland FP-4F unless you really have to keep the weight down... for a few hundred more, the action of the 7F is much better, but I understand you're already at the edge of your budget.

Another factor... if you want to trade up in a few years, I think you'd take the smallest loss on the Nord, since you're already buying it at a depreciated used price.

OP Offline
Good points all around. Thanks!

I wish I could walk into a store, sit down and be able to make value judgments on feel but I don't have a piano frame of reference for play-testing since I'm used to bouncy synth keys and VSTs. So I'm flying a bit blind here...

FYI I put the Roland FP-4F on the list because I'm a fan of classically-trained Vika Yermolyeva's (hundreds of) piano interpretations of rock songs on Youtube I liked the sound from her RD700NX. But that DP is too much money (and probably too much piano) for me right now.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission