Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#188864 - 06/30/07 04:20 AM Petrof?
Ron Gardiner Offline

Loc: Ephrata, Pa
Heard from a colleague that "Petrof is done". This came from a reputable dealer who heard from his Petrof DSM. Was told that Petrof may reappear in the future, but from a different factory. Does anyone here have additional info? This is currently in the category of hearsay, although the sources seem quite reliable.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#188865 - 06/30/07 04:35 AM Re: Petrof?
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Ron Gardiner,

A friendly suggestion: Perhaps you can consider obtaining confirmation from other industry insider sources before posting here?

That might be more effective (and I'd argue also more fair to Petrof) than trying to obtain such confirmation/information from this mostly consumer-oriented, very public, Internet bulletin board.

#188866 - 06/30/07 05:20 AM Re: Petrof?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That makes sense to me. I have lately seen some unbelievable "deals" on new Petrofs from dealers. Like $23000 for a new 7 foot piano.

A second dealer told me they would not be getting any Petrofs for a while. He said if they did get them they would be way more expensive. I found this statement interesting since I had been seeing these "deals" all over the internet on new Petrofs.

A third dealer told me they didn't know if they would be getting any new Petrofs....he didn't elaborate.

The above comments were made to me while I was shopping in stores that carry Petrofs. I was not shopping myself for a Petrof, although I was playing Petrofs because they were in the stores...as I was shopping.

There was something different in the way they were alluding to the Petrofs....that's all I can say...

#188867 - 06/30/07 05:59 AM Re: Petrof?
CTPianotech Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CT
Ritmuller/Pearl River

#188868 - 06/30/07 08:49 AM Re: Petrof?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
I wondered about this. Petrof is very big in Europe. It would appear that Geneva, not Petrof,is in trouble.

This could be trouble for American Petrof and Nordiska owners who have warranty issues. Warranties are handled in the US through GIC.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#188869 - 06/30/07 10:47 AM Re: Petrof?
George K Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Midwest
I wonder if the move to have the "Weinbach" line made in China has something to do with this.

#188870 - 06/30/07 10:49 AM Re: Petrof?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Could be!!!

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#188871 - 06/30/07 12:00 PM Re: Petrof?
Captain Obvious Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by karenabcde:
That makes sense to me. I have lately seen some unbelievable "deals" on new Petrofs from dealers. Like $23000 for a new 7 foot piano.
Isn't that actually a 7'8" piano?

#188872 - 06/30/07 01:03 PM Re: Petrof?
VGrantano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Mic, please don't start rumors. G.I.C. is not in any trouble. They are very,very strong. None of this will effect Nordiska or Weinbach. Just let it play out. Lots of courts to go through yet.

#188873 - 06/30/07 02:05 PM Re: Petrof?
Ron Gardiner Offline

Loc: Ephrata, Pa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Axtremus:
[QB] Ron Gardiner,

[A friendly suggestion: Perhaps you can consider obtaining confirmation from other industry insider sources before posting here?]

My disclaimer was intended to be fair to Petrof. I tried to make it very clear this was an unsubstantiated rumor. However, there are Industry insiders here that I respect, and this was a way to get their input since I don't have their email addresses,such as Steve Cohen and Vince.

In my view, losing Petrof would not be good for our industry. and there was no harm intended by trying to get accurate information in order to squelch the rumor mills. Nothing is a stronger equzalizer than the truth.

#188874 - 06/30/07 02:39 PM Re: Petrof?
Sir Lurksalot Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Interesting quote from one of the above-linked articles:

Quote:
"GIC was selling our pianos in the USA at a cheap price. We want to compete with the most expensive German producers," Petrof executive and co-owner Zuzana Ceralova-Petrofova said.
Does this mean prices will increase significantly when a new distributor takes over?

#188875 - 06/30/07 02:43 PM Re: Petrof?
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
The thought crosses my mind that this could be an example of where a minimum resale price could be construed as pro-competitive.

#188876 - 06/30/07 03:41 PM Re: Petrof?
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of my dealers told me his next shipment of Petrofs would be much more expensive. I am not knowledgeable about piano retailing....I am just relaying what he told me.

#188877 - 06/30/07 03:59 PM Re: Petrof?
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
VGrantano wrote:

Mic, please don't start rumors. G.I.C. is not in any trouble. They are very,very strong. None of this will effect Nordiska or Weinbach. Just let it play out. Lots of courts to go through yet.
 Quote:
karenabcd wrote:

One of my dealers told me his next shipment of Petrofs would be much more expensive.
Let's see... piano X used to sell for $n today, then tomorrow, seller is asking for 2*$n... why? Not because the product itself has "dramatically improved," not because some serious marketing/endorsement deals have changed public perception of brand value, but because the manufacturer and the (former) distributor are set to lock in court battles that may go for months and years, and there may (or may not) be a new distributor (who may or may not have a good track record) that retailers have to deal with. Yeah, that's going to work.

#188878 - 06/30/07 04:03 PM Re: Petrof?
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
 Quote:
VGrantano wrote:

Quote:
karenabcd wrote:

One of my dealers told me his next shipment of Petrofs would be much more expensive.
Let's see... piano X used to sell for $n today, then tomorrow, seller is asking for 2*$n... why? Not because the product itself has "dramatically improved," not because some serious marketing/endorsement deals have changed public perception of brand value, but because the manufacturer and the (former) distributor are set to lock in court battles that may go for months and years, and there may (or may not) be a new distributor (who may or may not have a good track record) that retailers have to deal with. Yeah, that's going work. [/b]
I'm with you, Ax.

BTW, I've got a couple of Petrof IVs. Get 'em while their still affordable! ;\)

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#188879 - 06/30/07 05:14 PM Re: Petrof?
gutenberg Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
VGrantano, what then is the status of warranty coverage in the US for Petrof owners?

#188880 - 06/30/07 05:30 PM Re: Petrof?
VGrantano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I'm only in a position to guess,but I would think there is nothing to worry about. If G.I.C. sold it I'm sure it will be covered.They are a classy company.

#188881 - 06/30/07 06:26 PM Re: Petrof?
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
from Steve Cohen
 Quote:
Let's see... piano X used to sell for $n today, then tomorrow, seller is asking for 2*$n... why? Not because the product itself has "dramatically improved," not because some serious marketing/endorsement deals have changed public perception of brand value, but because the manufacturer and the (former) distributor are set to lock in court battles that may go for months and years, and there may (or may not) be a new distributor (who may or may not have a good track record) that retailers have to deal with. Yeah, that's going work.
Yes! This mess makes Bohemia's adoption by Bechstein look really positive by comparison.

Quote:
Zuzana Ceralova-Petrofova, the owner of the Company, stated: "PETROF boasts a 140-year-long tradition and belongs to the absolute top of the piano manufacturers.
This statement from Rich Lindahl's Petrof press release citation could be interpreted to mean that Petrof belongs in the absolute top of the piano manufacturers and expects to be paid accordingly, regardless of Geneva's estimation of what price the US market will bear.

The statement also fits in with Petrof's groundwork last year to get the CAFIM initiative going and obtain a certification for Petrof that would put it in an exclusive fraternity with some of its higher-priced German brethren.

Three questions

1. Is the Weinbach fallboard name Petrof's property or Geneva's?

2. Does anyone here in this forum know anything about counterfeit Petrofs appearing in the US?

from the same press release
 Quote:
The PETROF Company is aware of the US market's vulnerability to the flood of counterfeits of its pianos made by Asian manufacturers abusing the PETROF brand.
3. Where's John Elliott?

#188882 - 06/30/07 07:09 PM Re: Petrof?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VGrantano:
Mic, please don't start rumors. G.I.C. is not in any trouble. They are very,very strong. None of this will effect Nordiska or Weinbach. Just let it play out. Lots of courts to go through yet. [/b]
I'm not starting rumors, Vince. That took place in the very first post. I am interpreting what I read. If I wanted to start rumors there is a lot more I could say.

There is clearly a huge dispute between producer and distributor. Whatever happens, it isn't going to be good for consumers in the meantime.

====

#188883 - 06/30/07 07:13 PM Re: Petrof?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
 Quote:
Originally posted by karenabcde:
Isn't that actually a 7'8" piano? [/b]
Yes, a Petrof II is 7'8". I have ruyn across one at an incredible price too, but it was some time ago. IMO the II is a whole 'nother animal from the III, IV and V. A very impressive piano.

====

#188884 - 06/30/07 07:34 PM Re: Petrof?
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If I've learned one thing in life, it's that everyone - except the attorneys - loses when parties go to court. Another issue... Dongbei made Nordiska's. Gibson just bought Dongbei. Can you say "my competitor makes my pianos???"

#188885 - 06/30/07 07:51 PM Re: Petrof?
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
At one time I had heard that GIC owned the rights to market the "Petrof" name in the U.S. Petrof may need to change its logo if it reincarnated itself next year.
A few years back Petroff factory got all full of itself and tried to leverage its prices up a tier or more. GIC slapped them into submission by witholding any orders until they knuckeled under. Maybe this is more of that?

#188886 - 06/30/07 09:25 PM Re: Petrof?
gutenberg Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
i am curious why GIC would go so far as to file a bankruptcy petition against Petrof. the bankruptcy judge apparently found no reason to send Petrof into bankruptcy.

this doesn't seem to me to be a slapping into submission over an issue such as pricing. it seems to be an attempt at a fatal blow. why?

#188887 - 06/30/07 10:02 PM Re: Petrof?
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
I'm thinking the same thing. The Geneva Internationa/Petrof relationship has had its problems. In an earlier thread I posted excerpts from a newspaper in Prague which contained the info that Geneva had temporarily dropped Petrof. I think the issue at that time was quality control.

#188888 - 07/01/07 11:01 PM Re: Petrof?
byebye Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ah, remember when Geneva bailed out Petrof? Perhaps Petrof has some financial obligation to Geneva.

#188889 - 07/02/07 06:28 PM Re: Petrof?
birchy Offline

Loc: Vancouver
Will they be discontinuing the fake Petrofs as well (currently discussed elsewhere on PW), or will there just be a fake discontinuation? If they "resume" production of the fake ones after a fake cessation of activity, will that mean that due to the double negativity of the cessation/resumption*fake^2 that there will be "real" deals on Petrofs?

#188890 - 07/02/07 08:31 PM Re: Petrof?
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by birchy:

Will they be discontinuing the fake Petrofs as well (currently discussed elsewhere on PW), or will there just be a fake discontinuation? If they "resume" production of the fake ones after a fake cessation of activity, will that mean that due to the double negativity of the cessation/resumption*fake^2 that there will be "real" deals on Petrofs?
ROFL !!!!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Who's Online
70 registered (Auver, Banshee, BB Player, András Lieber, 15 invisible), 1070 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158486 Topics
2327454 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission