2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
per Hr. I'm too embarrassed to call and ask. It sounds so mercenary; a piano student shouldn't be worried about cost when (s)he is studying with the best.

Townley: Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor Op 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1WR7oPY44
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Pollack is $350 an hour. No idea about Perry..

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Funny, I just saw John Perry yesterday, arriving from the US at a Toronto airport, assumedly for one of his regular teaching gigs at the Royal Conservatory's finishing school. He looked world-weary, or perhaps it was a bumpy flight.

What a bizarre life, teaching here and there constantly in master class format, for young people who are essentially finished pianists already. And doing this across N. America, where classical music means less and less all the time.

J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Opus_Maximus

That crash was my glass jaw hitting the ground. I don't think brain surgeons make $350 an hour--for appointments, that is.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joey Townley
Originally Posted by Opus_Maximus

That crash was my glass jaw hitting the ground. I don't think brain surgeons make $350 an hour--for appointments, that is.

Good music teachers are the most underpaid professionals (those paid by an hourly fee for a set period of time) of any I know. Actuaries, lawyers, accountants, business consultants, etc. all get more.

My theory is that this is because the "going rate" for most teachers is rooted in what parents are prepared to pay for a half-hour or hour of lessons for their kids, and that's not much.

I always insist on paying music teachers at least what I'd pay for an hour of therapy. The music lessons are always more therapeutic!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

They do, and more.

J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Well, I won't be taking piano lessons from Pollock anytime soon. Not that he'd even consider having me as a student anyway.....!

Last edited by Joey Townley; 04/29/12 06:30 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'll add that that is, however, about the highest rate I've ever heard for any private teacher. I'm guessing others, even Perry, would be lower, in the 200 or so range.

J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
And to think I was going to call and ask Pollock if the first lesson was free!!!!!! sick

Piano teaching is an odd economic model. The hourly rate usually looks pretty good. The problem is how many hours one can reasonably work and when those hours are.

$50/hour, which is pretty standard where I live, sounds good. But working a 30 hour week would likely mean working primarily after school (3pm-9pm Monday through Friday.) Scheduling that would be very difficult, and even if you could get 40 weeks per year of solid work, that nets you $60,000 a year.

And $60k a year is great, but consider that when compared to someone who works for some kind of company, you pay an additional 15% self-employment taxes, all of your own retirement and health benefits, and subtract all operating expenses from that.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I'd bet my bottom dollar that most of that income doesn't even get reported because the parents can't deduct piano lessons. So 60k tax-free is the equivalent of over 100k gross.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Uh, excuse me, but I report every dollar I earn as a piano teacher and so does every teacher I know. Why would you even think that?

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Minniemay
Uh, excuse me, but I report every dollar I earn as a piano teacher and so does every teacher I know. Why would you even think that?

You and your friends are to be commended, Minnie. But if 100% of self-employed people who are in an occupation that doesn't require itemization on their clients' Schedule A and the money is put directly into their hands by their clients....well, let's just say that not everyone is as honest as you and your friends are. It's the reason why the IRS annually reports a tax deficit of anywhere from a quarter to nearly half a TRILLION dollars in unreported and under-reported taxes.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'd bet my bottom dollar that most of that income doesn't even get reported because the parents can't deduct piano lessons. So 60k tax-free is the equivalent of over 100k gross.

Can't speak for other professions, but remember, the IRS can peak at your bank statements, so don't think fudging here is a good idea. Like others, I keep detailed and scrupulously accurate records. The very last thing I want to be doing is sitting in an IRS office being audited.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
per Hr. I'm too embarrassed to call and ask. It sounds so mercenary; a piano student shouldn't be worried about cost when (s)he is studying with the best.

There are other fine teachers available, but rates are realistic. My current teacher, N. Jane Tan, charges $180/hr. And it's a 2 hr drive for me, each way. It's worth every penny of it.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
I never said $60k tax-free. I mentioned that you have to pay extra self-employment tax out of that, and most teachers I know report every penny.

Do you have other information/experience, or are you just guessing?

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I can see I've stepped on a lot of toes with my rash remark and I apologize. I didn't mean to imply that all piano teachers are dishonest. But it would be naive to believe that every piano teacher in America who deals on a cash-basis reports every dollar they earn. That level of honesty just doesn't exist in any profession. But piano teachers would definitely be more honest than the average building contractor because pianists....well, are pianists. But to answer your question, Kreisler, no I don't have any data to support my brash assertion. I was just generalizing. Probably mistakenly. blush

Last edited by Joey Townley; 04/30/12 05:37 PM.

Originally Posted by ClsscLib
Good music teachers are the most underpaid professionals (those paid by an hourly fee for a set period of time) of any I know. Actuaries, lawyers, accountants, business consultants, etc. all get more.....

I agree, but I'd say that good people in any of those fields are underpaid -- if they're really good. My profession too. We're overpaid if we're mediocre or bad, but underpaid if we're really good.

I've thought that every piano teacher I've had in the last 30 years has undercharged (and I've told them so!), except for the couple of them that I didn't think were much good (and who I saw just once).

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

My current teacher, N. Jane Tan, charges $180/hr. And it's a 2 hr drive for me, each way. It's worth every penny of it.

John, are your lessons centred on pedagogy? Or on technique? Or on repertoire? IOW, are you studying with Ms. Tan as a piano teacher or as a pianist? Jane Tan was a name we all heard for a number of years, but mostly through her published materials aimed at young pianists.

She has slipped from my radar, but thanks for the memory jog!

Curious in Toronto

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
Good music teachers are the most underpaid professionals (those paid by an hourly fee for a set period of time) of any I know. Actuaries, lawyers, accountants, business consultants, etc. all get more.....

I agree, but I'd say that good people in any of those fields are underpaid -- if they're really good. My profession too. We're overpaid if we're mediocre or bad, but underpaid if we're really good.

I've thought that every piano teacher I've had in the last 30 years has undercharged (and I've told them so!), except for the couple of them that I didn't think were much good (and who I saw just once).

Generally I agree; competition does set metes and bounds around what both the good and bad in any field can charge.

Part of being a good consumer is deciding when someone is really good and then making sure that that person realizes in every way how much you appreciate her professional performance. That's why I insist on paying good music teachers more than the rate they quote (and stop using bad ones). I do the same with other professionals.

That has less to do with generosity than with the consumer's self interest, but it's nice that it can be perceived as the former.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission