2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jolteon Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I was at the music store today and noticed that Henle editions are often nearly double the price of the same pieces in (for example) Edition Peters. Why is this? I can see that the paper is of slightly heavier stock in the Henle and would cost a little more to print, but I don't think that would warrant nearly double the price. I'm sure the music is all the same between the editions, but why are Henle so much more expensive? Is it because they have "Urtext" written on the front? smirk

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
N
N
Originally Posted by Jolteon
I was at the music store today and noticed that Henle editions are often nearly double the price of the same pieces in (for example) Edition Peters. Why is this? I can see that the paper is of slightly heavier stock in the Henle and would cost a little more to print, but I don't think that would warrant nearly double the price. I'm sure the music is all the same between the editions, but why are Henle so much more expensive? Is it because they have "Urtext" written on the front? smirk

I have this same question with the Paderewsky Chopin editions. Barenreiter editions are similarly expensive. No idea why, other than "That's what the market will bear."

BTW, I was in Perth for a few months last year for business. I continually asked myself "How can they get away with charging $18 for a six pack of beer from a grocery store?" Still bought it, so I guess the price was right!

Last edited by notbach; 05/01/12 02:51 PM.

Actively working on:
Bach - Two-part Invention No. 14
Chopin - Prelude in E minor - Op. 28, No. 4
Notenbuch für Nannerl - Tempo di menuetto in F (Anonymous)
K
K
high quality binding could be a reason

"Play Bach constantly. That will be your best means of progress." -F.Chopin
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
'URTEXT' in the case of Henle and a few other great publishing houses means that they've researched to no end the final result. It's one thing to copy a score from IMSLP and print it and another to get ahold the manuscripts, study, spend a year in research to find out a few small things and info about the... nocturnes of Chopin!

I'm not fully in agreement with such high prices for dead composers with no copyright (because in those terms contemporary composers who are still alive should have pretty expensive scores), but on the other hand Henle is doing some great scholary work and they deserve (I think) the given price.

K
K
Having had a cheaply bound copy of Beethoven Sonatas have pages falling out before the first movement was learned, I have come to appreciate the extremely well bound Henle editions. The pages don't fall out, even with lots of hasty page turning.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
They're GERMAN, that's why!

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The question is not why Henle is so expensive, but why other editions are so cheap. It seems like many publishers cut a lot of corners: quality of engraving, paper choice, binding, scholarship, commentary, etc...

They take the time to hire people who go into this kind of detail:

http://www.henle.de/blog/en/2012/03/19/curiosity-pays-off-the-genesis-of-maurice-ravel’s-piano-sonatine/

Henle's Ravel Sonatine is $14.95. Peters is $13.50. Alfred and Schirmer are $6.95 and $7.95, but I doubt they took the time to do the kind of research Henle did.

And sometimes, the research doesn't affect the end result. Sometimes you do a ton of research and end up with the exact same score as everyone else. The score itself is the same, but it cost you more because you took the time to really check.

This brings up the question of what you're really paying for. If you think of the money you spend as being simply for the physical score you receive, then Henle is far more expensive than the others. If you think of the money you spend as supporting the company's aesthetic and scholastic mission, then it's a bargain.

Put another way, some people are incredibly selfish: "What do I get for my money???" And others are not: "What can I support with what I have?"

Every day, I hope that more people decide to be that second kind of person. Let's face it, at $14.95, the Ravel Sonatine costs about as much as a pizza. Oddly enough, I know poor college students who seem to be able to find $20 for pizza and cheap beer and yet complain about purchasing a quality score. Priorities...

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
URTEXT as I understand it is the original publication as Beethoven (or the composer) issued it and usually without any markings/changes by anyone else. The URTEXT of the Beethoven I have has no fingering or added dynamics, phrasing, etc. I can compare that to the Schott, Ricordi, d'Albert, etc. and see what they alter in their editing.

The Durand and Salabert editions are expensive and usually on cheap paper that tends to be fragile.

Last edited by Varcon; 05/01/12 06:59 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Let's face it, at $14.95, the Ravel Sonatine costs about as much as a pizza. Oddly enough, I know poor college students who seem to be able to find $20 for pizza and cheap beer and yet complain about purchasing a quality score. Priorities...

It drives me absolutely crazy when I see students using photocopies or library books for scores. I keep trying to convince them to invest -- and it really is an investment -- in quality scores that will last them a lifetime.

Last year I took a keyboard lit class taught by my studio teacher. She used scores that she had from her college days. In them were all these wonderful notations from great pedagogues of the past like Ilona Kabos and Sidney Foster. Those scores have lasted many years, and to me, are priceless.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Well, something I see a lot of people do is make photocopies even though they bought the score, presumably to carry around less weight and keep the scores in better condition. I prefer to read straight off a quality print score.

I'm guilty of cheaping out sometimes, and you could say I got what I paid for. I got a full set of Liszt Etudes, (Transcendental marked "Etudes 1", Paganini/Concert marked "Etudes 2") in China from Shanghai Music something publishing, which had licensed Budapest's print. The paper quality and print were excellent, but the problem was that while book 2 was sewn, book 1 was glued :mad (and coincidentally, cheaper :O). Each Transcendental Etude I've bothered trying to read more than 2 times has started to fall out, and I've had to tape at least 15 pages together.

The cost of buying a Budapest Liszt Etudes here makes me cringe though smirk

Last edited by trigalg693; 05/01/12 07:18 PM.
Jolteon Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
The question is not why Henle is so expensive, but why other editions are so cheap. It seems like many publishers cut a lot of corners: quality of engraving, paper choice, binding, scholarship, commentary, etc...

They take the time to hire people who go into this kind of detail:

http://www.henle.de/blog/en/2012/03/19/curiosity-pays-off-the-genesis-of-maurice-ravel’s-piano-sonatine/

Henle's Ravel Sonatine is $14.95. Peters is $13.50. Alfred and Schirmer are $6.95 and $7.95, but I doubt they took the time to do the kind of research Henle did.

And sometimes, the research doesn't affect the end result. Sometimes you do a ton of research and end up with the exact same score as everyone else. The score itself is the same, but it cost you more because you took the time to really check.

This brings up the question of what you're really paying for. If you think of the money you spend as being simply for the physical score you receive, then Henle is far more expensive than the others. If you think of the money you spend as supporting the company's aesthetic and scholastic mission, then it's a bargain.

Put another way, some people are incredibly selfish: "What do I get for my money???" And others are not: "What can I support with what I have?"

I see your point, but sometimes I think it might be a little ridiculous! (maybe where I live anyway)
To put my case in point, I was looking at the Liszt Consolations:
They had it in two editions:
Peters which was $19 and included the Liebestraume and apparently URTEXT, has a few pages of notes and suggestions
Henle which was $40 for just the Consolations with similar notes and suggestions

You can probably guess which one I bought. The Peters seems equally well researched, and it hasn't fallen apart yet. I could probably find the extra $20 for the Henle, but when you're getting more music for half the price, why would you?

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by trigalg693

The cost of buying a Budapest Liszt Etudes here makes me cringe though smirk

Not only are they pricy, the one I have are not holding up very well.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by wr

Is that so? My teacher's Budapest books are holding up okay.

I ordered a Hal Leonard - Budapest Liszt Sonata, I still have not quite figured out what Hal Leonard has to do with it since Budapest definitely prints their own stuff too, but it was like 15.95 compared to 19.95 for the Henle, so I dunno what's going on. Hopefully the quality is not compromised in some way. Your comment worries me.

Last edited by trigalg693; 05/01/12 08:05 PM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by trigalg693
Originally Posted by wr

Is that so? My teacher's Budapest books are holding up okay.

I ordered a Hal Leonard - Budapest Liszt Sonata, I still have not quite figured out what Hal Leonard has to do with it since Budapest definitely prints their own stuff too, but it was like 15.95 compared to 19.95 for the Henle, so I dunno what's going on. Hopefully the quality is not compromised in some way. Your comment worries me.

I just took a look at mine. I've got three volumes. Two are falling apart, one isn't. Aside from whatever differences there might be in usage, the one that is holding up pretty well was published a few years later than the others, so it may be that their more recent products are better quality than in the past.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I see a few others have mentioned the Budapest editions, but, if you think Henle is bad...I own several of them (and many hard-bound Henle editions) and as someone else said...I cringe when I think how much they cost me.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I like the Henle editions and I have piles of them. They're expensive in a sense but really, if you ask me, sheet music is a bargain. If the Beethoven Sonatas sets you back - whatever it is... probably more than 100 bucks one way of looking at it is how long you'll have those volumes. I love filling them up with my notes. I've read all and learned most of the Mozart Sonatas from my Henles and they're still holding up quite well. I intend to be buried with them. ALL of them.

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jnod
I intend to be buried with them. ALL of them.

You can't take them with you, you know... wink

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jolteon

I see your point, but sometimes I think it might be a little ridiculous! (maybe where I live anyway)
To put my case in point, I was looking at the Liszt Consolations:
They had it in two editions:
Peters which was $19 and included the Liebestraume and apparently URTEXT, has a few pages of notes and suggestions
Henle which was $40 for just the Consolations with similar notes and suggestions

You can probably guess which one I bought. The Peters seems equally well researched, and it hasn't fallen apart yet. I could probably find the extra $20 for the Henle, but when you're getting more music for half the price, why would you?

You are right, that IS a little ridiculous where you live!! What's going on there, anyway? I got curious and looked at the Henle Liszt Consolations on Amazon, and they were around $19 US. Which would be even less in Australian dollars. Are the import duties and tariffs enough to account for the difference?

And, just so you know, the Henle is actually two different versions, not just one.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DameMyra
Let's face it, at $14.95, the Ravel Sonatine costs about as much as a pizza. Oddly enough, I know poor college students who seem to be able to find $20 for pizza and cheap beer and yet complain about purchasing a quality score. Priorities...

It drives me absolutely crazy when I see students using photocopies or library books for scores. I keep trying to convince them to invest -- and it really is an investment -- in quality scores that will last them a lifetime.

Last year I took a keyboard lit class taught by my studio teacher. She used scores that she had from her college days. In them were all these wonderful notations from great pedagogues of the past like Ilona Kabos and Sidney Foster. Those scores have lasted many years, and to me, are priceless.

Does it not occur to you that we might have an awful lot of music to get through? I invest in scores as often as I can, but if I had bought a good edition of every piece I've played since I've been here I wouldn't be able to afford food let alone my tuition fees.

I think that the quality of Henle editions is worth the money, although personally I prefer Barenreiter.

Last edited by debrucey; 05/02/12 01:49 AM.
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Someone showed me a video that might help explain why the scores are expensive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5uPPJj_M_o

This took the sting off the price of Henle for me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission