Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1889981 - 05/02/12 12:23 PM Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli?
johnlewisgrant Offline

Loc: canada
What are the advantages of Kontakt4 over ISP for the Imperfect Faz?

I'm leaning towards K4 because I've only been able to run ONE perspective at a time with ISP in Sonar. I'm I right?

Also, ISP and SAVIhost don't seem to work together to provide a standalone player, at least, not for me!

Any suggestions/solutions?

JG

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1890847 - 05/04/12 02:30 AM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: johnlewisgrant]
Gigantoad Offline

It seems that Kontakt is the best option. However it's important to realise that it isn't a VST host. It's a full blown sampling software that can itself be used as a VST inside a DAW.

I never fully understood why Imperfect Samples needs the full version of Kontakt. There must be something that the free Kontakt Player can't do but I don't know what exactly.

Quote:

You cannot use Kontakt Player with this library. Please use Full Retail Kontakt 4 or higher, or EXS24, or use the included PC & Mac (VST / AU) version

This has me wondering, can't you simply use Sonar and load up the VST like any other library? Is this the ISP bit that you mentioned?

#1890907 - 05/04/12 07:11 AM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: johnlewisgrant]
Ojustaboo Offline

Loc: Deleted
Deleted

Edited by Ojustaboo (07/29/13 06:06 PM)

#1890920 - 05/04/12 08:03 AM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: johnlewisgrant]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
If you just play piano and you've chosen a piano library (the OP chose Imperfect Samples), why would you go to the extra expense of buying the full Kontakt just to get other pianos and drums and guitars that you don't need?

#1890973 - 05/04/12 09:37 AM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: MacMacMac]
Ojustaboo Offline

Loc: Deleted
Deleted

Edited by Ojustaboo (07/29/13 06:06 PM)

#1890982 - 05/04/12 09:56 AM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: johnlewisgrant]
johnlewisgrant Offline

Yes, the full version is required to run Imperfect Faz. If I had any reason to believe that the piano samples packaged with Komplete 8 were in the same league as Garritan Steinway, EWQL, or Imperfect Faz I would look into it.

In any case, a host called "ISP" is provided (independently) that is supposed to run Imperfect Faz, but I can't get it to work for more than 1 perspective at a time within Sonar 8.5. I am running the 64 bit version of Sonar, but I don't think that should make any difference.

JG

#1891019 - 05/04/12 11:10 AM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: johnlewisgrant]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
John, have you contacted the Fazioli developer for support?

Lawrence
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1891109 - 05/04/12 01:23 PM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: Melodialworks Music]
johnlewisgrant Offline

Hi Lawrence,

Yup... he's not available for the next while, and I'm impatient. 279.00 is what it will cost me to get the non-timed out version of Kontakt (now K5), which is odd in a sense, since a perfectly usable version of Kontakt was supplied with the Vintage D.

BTW.... you were right about this sample... it's the height of realism for my purposes (so far). I'm not sure how I missed that when it was launched in 2010. Could have been the demos, which were nothing to write home about (my view only). It was only when I heard it via a thread HERE and pianoworld that I realized what was possible.

Cheers,

JG

#1891131 - 05/04/12 01:48 PM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: johnlewisgrant]
Gigantoad Offline

Did you check out his new Steinway? I thought you said you didn' like the Fazioli sound much.

#1891150 - 05/04/12 02:26 PM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: Gigantoad]
johnlewisgrant Offline

Don't get me wrong... I'm not crazy about the actual, real Faz: played a few... sure... great piano.. obviously. But for that kind of money I could do with less "tin" in the tone. (I actually prefer the tone and the touch of my cheapo Chinese piano. (Sue me.)

But this sample is another thing altogether. Sure, some of the unisons are way off (deliberately), although I notice that's been softened with the update. And I wrote it off when it came out because all I had were the demos, which didn't do anything for me. But, as I say, I was kinda blown away by the Chopin rendering thread here, which featured the top samples with a Scherzo and a Nocturne: for my money, the Faz rendition blows away the others... and I own most of the others, so I could relate to the issues around playability and recorded end-result.

(It may be the "imperfect" element. But I'm starting to think that it has more to do with the mic positions and type of mics used to do the samples.)

Having said that... my ears may be changing with age. Or maybe its the planars I'm using now as monitors. What you listen through is (obviously) pretty important. Now the Garritan (player mic position... not the others) is starting to sound competitive, even though I had sort of started doubting it a few years ago.

It's a journey, that's for sure.

Forgot... the Walnut... hmmmm.... doesn't turn my crank initially ... but I can hear some nice elements .... more listening required, I think.

RE the focus on PIANO samples, question implied above, piano folks with ears know that there's a hugely important distinction between instruments and sounds which can be (given the current state of sampling) convincingly sampled and those which cannot. The piano (harpsichord, organ, clavichord, drums of all descriptions, harp, and so on) yield nice and useful results. Stringed instruments, on the other hand, can be sampled realistically, but with limited use once the sample is "translated" into music. Fake (sampled) keyboards, well-done, are impossible to pick out. Fake (sampled) strings (just one example) are a dead give away. I love the sound .... but only in the right context, which means don't try to pretend you're competing with a real band or orchestra when you can't or, more important, when you shouldn't be.

JG--digressing hugely....

#1891214 - 05/04/12 04:28 PM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: johnlewisgrant]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
suprised Melodial Works hasn't contributed to this thread- i think he acquired Imperfect Samples/Kontakt. If he's out there- what do you think Lawrence? (JG- maybe you should send him a private ping).

I sent an email to the developer a while back about the ISP he had made available vs full retail kontakt and he was adamant that you would be leaving a lot on the table with his samples if you didn't use full Kontakt.

let us know how this goes for you...

thanks!

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1891232 - 05/04/12 05:00 PM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: johnlewisgrant]
1000 Post Club Member

I have contributed, but nothing further to contribute to the the question of K4 (or K5) v. ISP, since I already had K4. No need to ever run ISP, so no consideration for feature loss. I can state that no advantage of K5 or K4, in terms of running the Fazioli, according to Matt.

#1891234 - 05/04/12 05:03 PM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: johnlewisgrant]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
what is your quick recap on imperfect/kontakt? are you happy with it- big improvement over other samples?

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1891237 - 05/04/12 05:05 PM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: johnlewisgrant]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: johnlewisgrant

But this sample is another thing altogether. Sure, some of the unisons are way off (deliberately), although I notice that's been softened with the update.

Yes. I was having success running two perspectives at the same time, except that the unisons being off becomes too pronounced. I have wondered if there is a way to edit the samples and tighten up the tuning, since using two perspectives at the same time is otherwise quite appealing. I wouldn't want them tuned too perfecting, though. Once the warts are removed from this sample set, the magic is lost, as is demonstrated by Perfect perspectives.

#1891296 - 05/04/12 06:40 PM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: Melodialworks Music]
johnlewisgrant Offline

Of course, that's the beauty of this sample, isn't it? Even in a tightly managed recording session, the instrument will go slightly out of tune. But some of those unisons in the first iteration were, well, pure heck (can I say that?). They've been resampled in the update, as far as I can tell.

Anyhow, OK I suppose I'll have to fork for K5. You only live once (that's what folks like me in my 50s say).

JG

#1892923 - 05/07/12 01:16 PM Re: Is KONTAKT 4 worth it to run Imperfect Fazioli? [Re: johnlewisgrant]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
I love Kontakt pianos - I went to K 5 recently

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A REALLY Indirect Blow Action
by Steve Cohen
09/18/14 09:01 AM
Bone chilling ending to pieces
by lacrymosa85
09/18/14 08:44 AM
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
09/18/14 05:35 AM
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
09/18/14 01:21 AM
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
09/18/14 12:19 AM
Who's Online
120 registered (3mb3r4, accordeur, ajames, Al LaPorte, 39 invisible), 1307 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157600 Topics
2314942 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission