Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#188993 - 03/17/02 10:11 AM Yamaha made in Indonesia - How's the quality?
wh Offline

Loc: kuala lumpur
We are looking at a Yamaha LX113 as our possible first piano - the price is right (under US3K) and the brand name, well, it can't be that bad. Would anyone here have any experience with this model and if you know whether the quality of Yamahas from Indonesia is anything to worry about. Or is it merely perception and improvements have been made?

So far, the pianos that are within our range are mainly made not from the country of origin but made in Malaysia or Indonesia or China. The Petrof 115 is v nice but really a big stretch on our budget.

Another consideration is Samick JS121 - again purely because of our budget (or lack of it). Appreciate feedback re Samick JS121 vs Yamaha LX113. Would prefer new vs used. Mainly for 4 year old son to play on (later on for daughter but she's too young now) - wife and I would also like to learn but definitely newbies (can't really tell the difference re tone etc). So now selecting using rational thinking (mainly) and looking to get the most for our money.

Appreciate any advice, feedback, opinions. Thanks!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#188994 - 03/18/02 12:25 AM Re: Yamaha made in Indonesia - How's the quality?
ady Offline

Loc: Singapore
wh,

i was in similar situation w you about 1 month ago, buying our first piano for about our kids and we knew close to nothing about piano.

yamaha was selling lu90 (109cm) at around S$3,400 and lx113 (113cm) at S$5,400.

we went around and later found out that yamaha piano is way way overpriced. there are many other piano that offers bigger piano and better tone at cheaper price. yamaha was quickly taken out from our list for that reason. (in my opinion, one is paying for the yamaha "brand" more than anything else.)

we looked at kawai, samick, young chang (both korean and china made), russian's j.becker, some other chinese pianos, and a host of used pianos.

we decided to get a new one. and we decided to stay away from chinese piano for now. our shortlist was kawai k25 (121cm) at $6k and (korean) young chang u131 at s$3750. we settled for yc after the kawai dealer could only say bad things about yc but cannot bring out the reasons to justify extra $2k+ to get a smaller piano, except that it is made in japan and supposed to be better quality. it's even less than the lx113, which is only 113cm.

go back to your question. i am not a piano expert to advise you on the yamaha lx113 quality. but, you may want to ask the dealer to play lx113 and mx112 one after the other. both are similar is size; one is made in indo, the other is in japan. hear the difference.

i believe we developed some sense of piano tone appreciation after visiting several shops (we visited almost every shop more than once to do comparison). you can too. try to compare the tone w samick 121 and you can decide.

hope this helps.

..ady

#188995 - 03/18/02 02:59 AM Re: Yamaha made in Indonesia - How's the quality?
Jay Offline

Loc: AUD
Hi,

LX 113 is one of the promotional models Yamaha made to sell at lower prices. Often these pianos build with lesser quality than the higher models. IMO, the only Yamahas that are fully made in Japan are consistent and good quality control. Don't think Yamahas made in Indonesia can ever be as good as those made in Japan. I have not played on a new LX113 before, but I have played on a 6 year old one, it sounds very bright and it does not have the bass. The tone itself is very thin and the touch is just out, too light.
The JS too are from Indonesia unless the higher range model that are make in Korea. According to a Samick dealer, the JS models, uses some Korean parts except for their soundboard and cabinet that are from Indonesia. Korean Samick is better quality comparing to the Indonesian one but if they are service well, probably they will be just as acceptable. As far as the tone, I find it slightly mellower comparing to the LX I have played. Well not sure if is because it was voice and its a new unit. On the other hand, some said that the LX113 or generally most of the Yamaha sound nice when they are new but not later when it becomes bright. (Not sure how true but was told and did find few units).
Among these 2 pianos, they are not a bad for a piano after all. They are indeed an alternative to getting a used pianos that are often poorly repaired (Recond Pianos aged at least more than 20 years from Japan). Have someone play both of these pianos and trust your hearing to choosing the one that sound nice to you. On the Chinese pianos, if you can accept the Indonesian make, I don't see why you should ignore them entirely. They have too improve over the few years. Bare in mind that some lower graded Japanese pianos price the same as better graded Chinese pianos. Give yourself some time to shop around. After all they will last you for some number of years before you upgrade to better instrument. It is always better to have your kids to start on some decent practice piano rather than a bad used pianos.

The Petrof, comparing to the 2, is another range of piano, totally different tone and touch. A more powerful piano. Well \:\) it is never to late to upgrade to a better instrument later. ;\)

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: Jay ]

#188996 - 03/18/02 03:20 AM Re: Yamaha made in Indonesia - How's the quality?
Jay Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by wh:
So far, the pianos that are within our range are mainly made not from the country of origin but made in Malaysia or Indonesia or China. The Petrof 115 is v nice but really a big stretch on our budget.
[/QB]

wh
Just curious, how much different is it comparing to the 115 and the LX. today? From what I know, they are almost competitive after the discount. A friend wanted the LX because it was a "Yamaha" but latter settle herself with the 115 and if I am not mistaken she got the 115 for about USD4K couple months back.

#188997 - 03/18/02 11:08 AM Re: Yamaha made in Indonesia - How's the quality?
wh Offline

Loc: kuala lumpur
Yes originally we had ruled out Yamaha as, like you say, Ady, it was too costly/much smaller units for the price. But over the weekend, I found out that they have reduced their price substantially - LX113 going for RM10,980/USD2,889 vs RM13+K. Hence, was wondering if it was a good value-for-money deal. The YC that you got, Ady seems like a quite a steal (esp if it's 131cm in height). Wonder if shopping for pianos across the border is ever done?!

The Samick JS121 was advertised for RM8,900/USD2,342 - bigger model than the LX. Called them once and dealer said that they are not bringing in Samick from S.Korea and even if they did it would be whitelabeled under another brand. So the ones they have are mainly from Indonesia.

Petrof 115 was going for slightly more than RM14K/USD3,684. So Jay, when we were thinking in Malaysian dollars the difference is quite substantial - at least to us ;\) Wishing they would have a big sale too!

Thanks very much for your feedback - we will check out the Samick maybe this weekend. If you think of anything else we should look out for, do let us know. Would appreciate any piano hunting tips that you may have for us. Thanks again!

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: wh ]

#188998 - 03/18/02 12:06 PM Re: Yamaha made in Indonesia - How's the quality?
nextturnpls Offline

Instead of considering the LX113 made in Indonesia that was over price, my advice is why don't you consider the reconditioned used Yamaha U1 which was manufactured in 1980 to 1985. I had played quite a number of these pianos and I realised they were better-seasoned and stronger in construction. Unfortunately I sold mine and I got a used Yamaha WX1 at S$4500 from my pupil's parents who bought in 1995 at S$12900. I find these days the newer pianos don't age very well, many waste wood joints are used on the back posts, belly bars, the wood grains of the soundboard was not as even as those pianos in olden day and the thiner polyester tends to get scratches easily.

Try to get your music teacher or friends to play on the piano for you before purchase. Ask for a warranty from the dealer, check the serial number from the internet. I hope you could find your dream piano.

#188999 - 03/18/02 08:31 PM Re: Yamaha made in Indonesia - How's the quality?
Jay Offline

wh

True but you can't use the price to compare, between an economy piano against a performance piano. ie. can't expect to own a mercedes for the price of a honda.

Samick isn't a bad choice after all, a good piano for average home use. Great choice !
;\)

#189000 - 03/18/02 08:39 PM Re: Yamaha made in Indonesia - How's the quality?
TomtheTuner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Florida USA
Why support a country that allows its lumber companies to wipe out the rain forrest, harbor terrorists, and is known for intense political corruption????

BUSY IS BETTER THAN BORED

#189001 - 03/18/02 09:02 PM Re: Yamaha made in Indonesia - How's the quality?
ady Offline

Loc: Singapore
wh,

Quote:
The YC that you got, Ady seems like a quite a steal (esp if it's 131cm in height). Wonder if shopping for pianos across the border is ever done?!

indeed i think it's value for money for 131cm piano.

if you are interested to consider youngchang and cross strait purchase, you may want to contact the dealer, city music, at +65 337 7058. i believe they also have stores in malaysia. i just saw its website www.citymusic.com.sg and the "promotion" seems to be still on.

i have so far no regret w my purchase. after being more familiar w our piano's sound, we went to revisit kawai and yamaha. i believe our piano sounds so much better w so much less $$.

Quote:
But over the weekend, I found out that they have reduced their price substantially - LX113 going for RM10,980/USD2,889 vs RM13+K.

The LX113 was selling about that price in Spore all the long, while they keep saying that the usual price was about $6k+.

i never believe in 'special promotion' anymore now, not for piano. there is hardly any 'true' promotion. it has been stressed here in this forum and i found the same in this part of the world.

we first went to yamaha dealer when they had "christmas" promotion. the sales rep urged me to make decision before the promotion is over. when christmas promotion was over, they indeed continued w "chinese new year" prmotion, even with extra "angpao". after cny is over, now they have "anniversary promotion". i observe the piano price so far remain constant regardless of what promotion. the same is true for kawai. the model i was looking at was said to have "introductory" price and it is still until now in its "introduction" phase. the youngchang i bought was in "promotion" until stock lasts.

piano shopping was a thrilling experience for me. i hope it is too for you. happy shopping. let me know what your final purchase is. ;\)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (ando, Alux, anotherscott, Alex Hernandez, 19 invisible), 1110 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153599 Topics
2251187 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
04/20/14 06:58 AM
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
04/20/14 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
04/20/14 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
04/20/14 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
04/19/14 11:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission