Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1890051 - 05/02/12 04:04 PM You Learn the Darndest Things Poking Around the Music World.
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
My wife asked me about a song she likes, When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful, which apparently she listens to on a Clapton CD, thinking I might be able to find some sheets for it.

So I go poking around on Wiki and the net, and learn the song was written by one Harry M. Woods (aka Henry), who I'd never heard of before. Turns out he wrote dozens of iconic songs in the 20's and 30's, including Red Red Robin, I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover, and Side by Side.

Wiki starts his story with this:

Quote:
Woods was born in North Chelmsford, Massachusetts. He had no fingers on his left hand since birth. Nonetheless, Woods' mother, a concert singer, encouraged him to play the piano.[2] Woods got his bachelor's degree at Harvard University, where he supported himself by singing in church choirs and giving piano recitals. After graduation, Woods settled in Cape Cod and began life as a farmer. He was drafted into the Army during World War I; it was there that he began cultivating his talent for songwriting. After his discharge, Woods settled in New York City and began his successful career as a songwriter.[3]

As if that isn't colorful enough, I then found this on another site. The last line struck me as so funny that I just had to post it:

Quote:
Harry M. Woods wrote an astonishing number of catchy, wholesome, sentimental and reassuring popular songs. Born without any fingers on his left hand, he nevertheless became a professional pianist and soon began composing irresistible ditties like "Paddlin' Madelin' Home" (1925) and "When the Red, Red Robin Comes Bob, Bob, Bobbin' Along" (1926). Living Era's Harry Woods tribute album is chock-full of toothsome, tuneful treats; twenty historical recordings made between 1926 and 1945 by some of the most popular and endearing entertainers in the U.S. and the U.K. "Side by Side" turned out to be one of Paul Whiteman's most interesting novelties thanks to a cheerfully eccentric band arrangement and tidy vocals by the Rhythm Boys (Al Rinker, Harry Barris and Bing Crosby). Other pleasant singers include Connee Boswell, Cliff Edwards, Al Jolson, Annette Hanshaw, Rube Bloom, Frank Sinatra, Parker Gibbs (backed by the eternally gratifying Ted Weems Orchestra), and guitarist Nick Lucas who manages to sing all of the verses to "I'm Looking over a Four Leaf Clover." Paul Robeson's handling of "River Stay Away from My Door" is sobering, and Billie Holiday makes "What a Little Moonlight Can Do" sound like it was written especially for her. Fats Waller's unforgettably heartwarming rendition of "When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful" (a love song which was in fact composed with him in mind) is one of the very best records that he ever made. All of these pleasantries contrast dramatically with the life and temperament of the composer, who was an unhappy and dangerously volatile alcoholic. Legend has it that one evening, after consuming large quantities of hard liquor while performing at a popular nightclub, Woods got into a heated argument with a member of the audience. Tempers flared, blows were exchanged and soon the tussle had escalated into a vicious brawl. When the police got to the scene Woods had his adversary pinned to the floor and was throttling him with his right hand while bashing him in the face with the stump of his left. Bloody and disheveled, he was dragged off of his victim and was in the process of being handcuffed when a woman entered the club, looked him up and down and exclaimed, "Who is that horrible man?" Still seated at the bar, a friend of the composer proudly announced, "That's Harry Woods. He wrote 'Try a Little Tenderness.'"

Estonia L190 #7284

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1890169 - 05/02/12 09:55 PM Re: You Learn the Darndest Things Poking Around the Music World. [Re: JimF]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Wow! It's sad that so many talented folks have led such difficult lives. I've played several of his songs without knowing any of his story. Thanks for the post.

flickr

#1890172 - 05/02/12 09:58 PM Re: You Learn the Darndest Things Poking Around the Music World. [Re: JimF]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I promise I will never complain about my left hand again. Well, until the next time it screws up. Great story - thanks!

Kawai K3

#1890175 - 05/02/12 10:09 PM Re: You Learn the Darndest Things Poking Around the Music World. [Re: TX-Dennis]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: TX-Dennis
Wow! It's sad that so many talented folks have led such difficult lives. I've played several of his songs without knowing any of his story. Thanks for the post.

That seems true. I came across this last night, sounds like what you're talking about.

Makes you wonder how much adversity is related to achievement.

#1890383 - 05/03/12 10:13 AM Re: You Learn the Darndest Things Poking Around the Music World. [Re: JimF]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Wow, most of those songs I've known all my life! Probably that ages me, but so what - they're great songs. Some of them, I remember the sheet music being in the piano bench at my grandparents' house when I was a little kid. "When the red, red robbin" (Doris Day version) was one of my favourites on the radio when I was a little kid, though I think I've also heard the Al Jolson version somewhere. & Billie Holiday "What a little moonlight can do" is my favorite track on Lady Day Swings, on my iPod.

I found the Fats Waller "When somebody thinks you're wonderful" on YouTube <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuJKNwWpspo>

#1890409 - 05/03/12 11:03 AM Re: You Learn the Darndest Things Poking Around the Music World. [Re: JimF]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JimF
Bloody and disheveled, he was dragged off of his victim and was in the process of being handcuffed when a woman entered the club, looked him up and down and exclaimed, "Who is that horrible man?" Still seated at the bar, a friend of the composer proudly announced, "That's Harry Woods. He wrote 'Try a Little Tenderness.'"

Haha. You're right, Jim, that last line is a keeper. I'm going to choose to believe it actually happened that way. wink

#1890418 - 05/03/12 11:13 AM Re: You Learn the Darndest Things Poking Around the Music World. [Re: JimF]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Indeed, you find the strangest things. You all probably know all about Lorenzo Da Ponte. He's my hero.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenzo_Da_Ponte

#1890476 - 05/03/12 12:29 PM Re: You Learn the Darndest Things Poking Around the Music World. [Re: Plowboy]
ClsscLib Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Plowboy
Indeed, you find the strangest things. You all probably know all about Lorenzo Da Ponte. He's my hero.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenzo_Da_Ponte

His biography would need to be titled, "The Virgin Muse."

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
Yesterday at 06:56 PM
Who's Online
107 registered (AmateurBob, Alan F, ando, anamnesis, accordeur, 26 invisible), 1285 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325895 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission