2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1890869 05/04/12 04:10 AM
OP Offline
Hello smile

I often see topics about speed posted in various fora and as an ultra beginner I tried to reflect a bit on that to see how I should deal with the problem.

First, to me at least it's seems that speed isn't really an issue when you begin, at least not how fast the finger moves. What I mean is, they are so many other aspects that slow you down: reading speed, dynamic acuity, "landing" precision... With all those factors combined, you are not in a position to play pieces that would require a faster finger speed than what you are already able to produce, at least the way I see it.

Of course, I am not saying that building speed is useless but to me it appears to be a fairly low priority objective compared to reading skill, finger precision and mastering the dynamic.

Because of all that here is how I plan to work on that particular topic:
Using exercises like the ones provided here http://www.piano-play-it.com/piano-exercises.html (Maybe Hanon in a second wave). I would start playing them at a fairly low tempo (50 - 60) but with as an accurate dynamic and finger placement as possible saying the name of each note as I play them to make as much as possible from the time spent (trying to associate the pitch with the note name and also reinforcing the reading skill). Then, after two weeks I would start to increase the speed by something like one click every other day (this value would have to be adjusted depending on how things go of course).

I would be really interested in the opinion of more advanced pianist on that topic smile

- Please, forgive my bad English smile

Jean-Luc
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
You are correct in thinking speed is a low priority for a beginner. Once you play at about the speed you can sing you'll be doing fine.
The fingers will naturally respond quicker as they become accustomed to the task and the subconscious brain takes over playing instead of having to think about what note comes next.

Studies in velocity aren't required for someone not intending to live on the concert platform. If you learn a few pieces and memorise them they will help you develop all the requisite skills. Have one of the pieces require some velocity, one a cantabile melody line, one scales passages, another broken chords, another arpeggios etc.

Building velocity in memorised pieces, scales and arpeggios will also affect the speed at which you can play other pieces. You don't have to build speed in every piece you play. It will develop over time and without conscious effort. Forcing speed always has the same result - sloppy play, missing notes and an inability to recover the piece easily. Keep to a speed at which you can maintain control and it will get faster over time and in its own time.

As an example, Mozart's Sonata K. 545 uses scale runs, broken chords, arpeggios, Alberti bass, legato and staccato. As long as you're playing it regularly from memory you will maintain facility in all these areas and they will influence your playing of other pieces. If you try, whenever you play it, to improve the clarity of articulation, the lightness of touch, and the control of dynamics your technique will improve across all your pieces.

If you want to improve all round technique start with Bach. He is fundamental to all keyboard technique whether you're playing piano, harpsichord, organ or synthesizer. His music will develop independance of hands and fingers, articulation, velocity, cantabile and good musical taste. Start with the Anna Magdalena Notebook, progress through the suites and the 2 & 3 part inventions to the Well Tempered Clavier (this is over years not months).

Classical music, sonatas by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert, will give you a sense of structure and use a wider range of rhythmic patterns where baroque is more usually reams of quavers and semiquavers. It is also more homophonic compared to the polyphony of the baroque. There is dramatic contrast between the first and second subject groups enhanced by the use of different keys. Baroque music tends to have only one 'affekt' or mood throughout. Clementi's six progressive sonatinas, Op. 36, are an excellent introduction to the form. The first movements offer structure and technical work (scales, apreggios, thirds, etc), the slow middle movements are excellent for cantabile and expression, and the ending movements are good for velocity and articulation.

The Romantic period will introduce yet more rhythmic diversity, greater ranges of colour (use of accidentals), a wider range of forms and more noticeably different playing styles - it's difficult to tell Haydn from Mozart and sometimes from Beethoven but Chopin and Schumann are as different from each other as they are from Bach and Scarlatti. Burgmüller's Op. 100 is a good introduction and the Albums for the Young of Schumann and Tchaikovsky are enjoyable at any age. They have passed the test of time.

Twentieth century music is something else again but it's beyond my ken, I'm afraid. Debussy, Glière and Scriabin are about as far as I go.

I see I've digressed somewhat. I'm having that kind of morning - it's Friday! smile

Hopefully, you can make use of the information.

Richard
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Very nice, helpful post!

1989 Baldwin R
OP Offline
Thank you very much for those very detailed explanations smile I do understand that it is a long journey but I am very pleased to read that it will start with Bach who is probably the composer who made me fall in love with classical music (baroque would be more accurate for Bach I suppose but thanks to him I started to love classical music as a whole).
I know it's too soon now (I have less than 3 weeks of piano behind me) but he Anna Magdalena Notebook will most definitively be my first station (I knew I really wanted to play Bach but I had no idea where to start and where he should be on the journey :)). Not a week pass without me listening to some at least a few of the pieces of the Well Tempered Clavier so you can imagine how much I look forward to be able to play at least a few of them (and I am aware it's not tomorrow :-D).
Again thank you very much for the tips, very much appreciated smile

- Please, forgive my bad English smile

Jean-Luc
D
D
My teacher recommends everything that you just described! Also in the same order. It has worked well for me (only 9 months in!)so far. My goal currently is to be able to play some pieces from Anna's Notebook. Thanks for the explanation!
david

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
@zrtf90 - Very nice post.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
zrtf90: Thank you for all the info. It's very helpful!

Practice randomly kindness and senseless act of beauty
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by jdw
Very nice, helpful post!

Originally Posted by Jean-Luc
Again thank you very much for the tips, very much appreciated smile

Originally Posted by djheinen
Thanks for the explanation!

Originally Posted by CarlosCC
@zrtf90 - Very nice post.

Originally Posted by wuyiwululu
zrtf90: Thank you for all the info. It's very helpful!

<Blush>

Thank you, folks smile

Richard

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission