Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1890908 - 05/04/12 07:13 AM Re: Yuja Wang dazzles in London [Re: bennevis]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Let's not forget that Daniel Barenboim recorded the complete Beethoven Sonatas (and Concertos) while barely out of his teens in the 1960s. And many people prefer these EMI recordings to his later, 'mature' DG cycle (Sonatas). Not to mention his later 'mature' Concerto recordings with the Berliner Philharmoniker...

I don't think musical maturity is a prerogative of the old, or those of 'mature years'. For instance, I prefer Artur Rubinstein's earlier Chopin to his later RCA recordings. And ditto for Horowitz - who became more idiosyncratic (and even perverse) with age.

Did I say that all artists always get better in every possible piece they play, as they mature? I don't think so. Neither did I say that all younger artists are always totally immature in every piece. Jeez....

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1890945 - 05/04/12 08:51 AM Re: Yuja Wang dazzles in London [Re: wr]
Sir Monty Golfear Offline

Loc: Leicester . UK
Originally Posted By: wr
Let's not forget that Daniel Barenboim recorded the complete Beethoven Sonatas (and Concertos) while barely out of his teens in the 1960s. And many people prefer these EMI recordings to his later, 'mature' DG cycle (Sonatas). Not to mention his later 'mature' Concerto recordings with the Berliner Philharmoniker...

I don't think musical maturity is a prerogative of the old, or those of 'mature years'. For instance, I prefer Artur Rubinstein's earlier Chopin to his later RCA recordings. And ditto for Horowitz - who became more idiosyncratic (and even perverse) with age.

Steady on old bean !!

Did I say that all artists always get better in every possible piece they play, as they mature? I don't think so. Neither did I say that all younger artists are always totally immature in every piece. Jeez....

#1891004 - 05/04/12 10:34 AM Re: Yuja Wang dazzles in London [Re: bennevis]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Speaking of maturity, Richard Goode is one such. Though he was never in the super bangy club, his recitals from about 10 years ago did not leave me with a too memorable mark. But I saw him last week at Carnegie Hall, in a Schumann Chopin program that was incredibly beautiful. Like good wine, his music making has aged gorgeously with a very rich mesmerizing sound.

AS for Yuja Wang, I will definitely go see her again, but not before some years have passed. I bow to her skills but bail on her musicality. She leaves me dumbfounded but not smitten. I personally feel that she is still at a stage of showing what she can do rather than what she has to say about the music. As a mere audience member, I get to decide what musical experiences I am willing to submit to.

Bennevis, you sound truly bedazzled smile , but PLEASE not even she would compare herself to Richter!!!! And leave the cached messages out!

#1891014 - 05/04/12 10:55 AM Re: Yuja Wang dazzles in London [Re: bennevis]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.

I haven't done an A/B comparison of the early and late Barenboim sonata cycles, but I do love the EMI set. It was originally released at about the same time as a Brendel cycle, and the critics were then more than willing to view the two as similar in overall quality, if different in style.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1891057 - 05/04/12 11:54 AM Re: Yuja Wang dazzles in London [Re: Andromaque]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andromaque

Bennevis, you sound truly bedazzled smile , but PLEASE not even she would compare herself to Richter!!!! And leave the cached messages out!

It takes a lot to bedazzle me - don't forget I'm (relatively) ancient grin.

But equally, big names are just that - big names. When I returned home, I pulled out my (live) Richter recording of Scriabin's Sonata No.5, and not only were there lots of wrong notes (understandable in this work), his range of color and articulation didn't approach hers (though he banged a lot harder). Some may prefer his playing here, but for my taste (and bearing in mind Scriabin's synesthesia), I prefer Wang's conception.

But I still yield to noone in my admiration of Richter...

P.S what cached messages?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
94 registered (adanepst, angga888, ando, Adypiano, Alux, ADWyatt, 23 invisible), 1244 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249651 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission