2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 12 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
O
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
All I ever say is the ONLY people I know who like the V-piano are amateur players who actually have bought one themselves and feel the need to defend it.

smokin

interesting, tell this to Paul Mirkovich and others pros playing v-piano...

sick

Bech #1897206 05/15/12 07:41 AM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Is it this Paul Mirkovich? The one that "assists" Roland with its marketing?

http://www.roland.com/video/page.cfm?vid=50180512

And as an aside (irrelevant, admittedly) on his myspace page lists his heroes as - Mom, wife, and, wait for it....Jesus.

Sick bag anyone?

offnote #1897209 05/15/12 07:46 AM
O
O
Originally Posted by offnote
All I ever say is the ONLY people I know who like the V-piano are amateur players who actually have bought one themselves and feel the need to defend it.

smokin

interesting, tell this to Paul Mirkovich and others pros playing v-piano...

sick

Actually I can say this - those who never played acoustic grand piano may not like V-Piano.

Bech #1897215 05/15/12 07:53 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hey, don't forget those who do not play classical music.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
O
O
Originally Posted by Kawai James

exactly right as well. In popular music mix you can get away with shallow sounding DPs and you have to be really advanced jazz player to appreaciate and make use of acoustic grand full dynamic range.

Bech #1897244 05/15/12 09:04 AM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Which is rather like saying those who don't play classical or "really advanced jazz" aren't really interested in the sound of their pianos. Which strikes me as elitist and (of course) total nonsense.

A
A
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Which is rather like saying those who don't play classical or "really advanced jazz" aren't really interested in the sound of their pianos. Which strikes me as elitist and (of course) total nonsense.

I don't think its nonsense. It's spot on.

For non-classical music mixes, very bright pianos from workstations work better than recordings of a real acoustic grand. The real grands sound muddy in most mixes and need plenty of equalization and compression. Where's nonsense?

PS
and there hardly a doubt that classical and Jazz pianists deliver far more expression than other styles. As a rule, they can play your style of choice perfectly and a self-taught hip-hop artist cannot play classical or jazz anywhere good.

Last edited by alekkh; 05/15/12 10:07 AM.
Bech #1897315 05/15/12 11:34 AM
K
K
We are very fortunate to have a company like Roland to take an engineering gamble on such a unique product like the "V". These discussions are valuable to future artists looking to move their playing to a new level, that heretofore, other boards could not live up to. It is "Zen-like" to seize on a new product to gain impetice and direction. It is the quintessential Goldilocks piano; not too big, not too loud, not too small, not too..

Last edited by krzyzowski; 05/15/12 11:36 AM.
Bech #1897351 05/15/12 12:53 PM
E
E
Yes, the V-Piano has hopefully kickstarted a trend that will bring physically- modeled DP's to the forefront. The Physis piano is a perfect example. Although initial audio demos for this product reveal a slightly thin treble that lacks some 'body' of an acoustic grand. Time will tell if they are able to hone the sound further.

But hopefully, we will see the day when a small, portable keyboard under ones arm will pack heavy-duty processing power so that it can be physically-modeled and give the user endless tweakability and HD midi velocity response.

K
K
Originally Posted by krzyzowski
We are very fortunate to have a company like Roland to take an engineering gamble on such a unique product like the "V". These discussions are valuable to future artists looking to move their playing to a new level, that heretofore, other boards could not live up to. It is "Zen-like" to seize on a new product to gain impetice and direction. It is the quintessential Goldilocks piano; not too big, not too loud, not too small, not too..

Both Roland and Yamaha have been essential in advancing the digital piano field. In my opinion Yamaha took the lead about 12 years ago however slowed down the next 9 and let Roland take the lead with the release of the V-Piano. The AG series has brought the technological battle closer and it will be interesting to see where things lead. I do feel that in general, sampled based DP's have not improved as rapidly as we would like polyphony-wise. It is hard to believe that is still an issue even today. Every DP should have by now 256 polyphony standard. As this forum makes clear, the V-Piano isn't for everyone, however what it has done is bring a large enough change to an area that hasn't changed that much ov the last 10 or so years. As an example you need look no further than the CLP990 specs and compare them with todays top of the line Clavinova's. I just hope advancement occurs a little more quickly the next 10 years when I will be ready to buy my V-Piano's replacement.

Last edited by Kona_V-Piano; 05/15/12 01:02 PM.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
Bech #1897365 05/15/12 01:11 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
To "V" or not to "V" this gentleman seems to have found the answer! smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfECxccO7zg

Bech #1897390 05/15/12 02:00 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yes, and Roland's cheque might have helped him make up his mind.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Kona_V-Piano
This thread degenerated after a couple forum members thought a portion of my post was directed at them. It does seem since the V-Piano is different than the rest of the sampled pianos, it brings with it a lot of emotions, good and bad.

No, it degenerated when you made thinly veiled references to me and one or two others, then denied it with a very dismissive, arrogant retort when asked to state your case more directly.

So, who was your comment referring to?

Let's remember that the very positive and then the negative or at least shall we say qualified comments generally come from a few posters:

Me - had a V-Piano, got rid of it because I didn't like the tone (regardless of all the fiddling around that is possible).
Lawrence (MelodialWorks Music) - had a V-Piano, got rid of it for the same reasons.
Dr. Popper - Professional musician, played a V-Piano many times, hates it.
Bruce (bfb) - Got a V-Piano, not enamoured with the tone so uses it exclusively to control software now and would have got rid of it had it not cost him so much. Thinks Roland should further develop it.
Richard (pv88) - Got a V-Piano. Hears issues with the tone and is having problems with the keys but is prepared to tolerate those problems for all the good things the V does.
bennevis - Got a V-Piano, very happy with it. Had replacement keys due to wear.
Kona - Got a V-Piano, very happy with it, no issues with the piano but frustrated Roland have done diddly-squat with the concept since launch.
DazedandConfused - Plays a V regularly, likes it very much, intends to buy one at some point in the future.

Have I missed anyone with lots of personal experience of the V that very often contributes to V-Piano threads? So, Kona - who was your comment referring to?

yep, i think you've found all the vpiano owners in the world. we are like the immortals of Green Lantern. perched high above all the DP riff-raff out there playing their honky tonkish dp's..

i haven't finished going through all the detritus of this thread- its amazing how vpiano threads are like roadside IED's waiting to blow away some poor unsuspecting blogger.

But- to restate my beliefs as a member of the 2000 lb portable DP club- i am all for the vpiano if roland would act like they give a crap and let us know they haven't left the building completely. that's it. period. Kona is right- an update would send the market a signal that the original vpiano designers weren't taken out the back door and shot.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Kawai James

yes, i think you are on to something there. it may be the discerning argument that separates the proponents from the opponents.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
Bech #1897438 05/15/12 03:26 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
There is no "big" money in playing classical music..its all pop/rock
Lady Gaga makes more in one tour than it would take the classical
artist several lifetimes and alot of endless concerts to even come
close...Roland wouldn't have that much interest in catering to
classical pianists..

Last edited by Bob Newbie; 05/15/12 03:37 PM.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Bob Newbie
Roland wouldn't have that much interest in catering to classical pianists..

But in terms of piano, that's where the kudos still resides. Roland and Yamaha are very keen to have classical pianists demonstrating their top end creations. It carries far more weight than a pimply youth from the latest boy band.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Bech #1897449 05/15/12 04:02 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
If were talking about selling pianos..all Roland has to do is hire Lady Gaga
for a commershill, with a suggestive line like.... I just love my "V"
sales would take off... smile

bfb #1897455 05/15/12 04:20 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by bfb
yep, i think you've found all the vpiano owners in the world. we are like the immortals of Green Lantern. perched high above all the DP riff-raff out there playing their honky tonkish dp's..

Are we of the elite few, then? Couldn't have said it better, myself. grin

D
D
Lets get this straight ... I don't shrill for ANYONE

..... Hmmmmmm

And lets clear up some misinformation .... on V-piano sales
Roland have not sold many V-pianos at all ... which is why so few owners come on the forum.

Wow ... hard to argue with that logic. There is no pianistic world beyond the forum. I must remember this formula:

number of posts = k * total piano sales. LOL!

On the other hand, could it be that as the V-Piano is clearly a digital piano for professionals, maybe the real professional musicians are far too busy making music to be bothered defending their purchase from a persistent brace of cloth-eared clowns on a messageboard?

As for the person who stated as a fact the V-piano Grand is outselling Yamaha's AG ...

you mean me ......

well lets talk facts.

Please do, I am all ears ......

There have been less the 30 V-Grands delivered worldwide (yep 30 !!!) ... Yamaha has sold over 2000 AG's ....

2000 N3s? Wow!

You are remarkably well informed on this issue that you have nothing to 'shrill' about ...... would love to know where you got those 'factual' figures.

Not being "professionally supported" by anyone, just a humble consumer I got my 'facts' from the Thomann site which is the only online store that I know of that provides a sales chart for different categories of instruments. In that store, at least the V-Piano Grand is ranked higher than either the N2 or N3. Hardly definitive, not that it particularly matters.

The thing I find really interesting is this 'consensus' that seems to have grown that somehow the V-Piano has been a disaster for Roland when very few people except insiders ...hmmm .... would have any real knowledge of the situation. It is amazing the effect that a few loudmouths can have in a forum .....

What fools you all .....

This I need to hear .... please tell us, oh great one!

..... is that it's got a amazing connective feel to it unlike any other DP and that makes you think its good.

I see! That's where we have all been going wrong. Mistaking a musical instrument that responds to touch in a way that leaves other DPs standing as being in some way .... 'good' .... No, wait a minute, that doesn't sound right isn't that what a great musical instrument is supposed to do?

But it might feel good playing it (as the CP1 does) the V's sound is fatally flawed (not that this clique of V owners can hear it).

If you genuinely believe the sound to be fatally flawed then possibly your hearing is damaged in some way .... high frequency loss from too many 'gigs'? It is probably worth making a trip to see a 'real' doctor.

Last edited by DazedAndConfused; 05/15/12 04:38 PM.
bfb #1897458 05/15/12 04:24 PM
K
K
Originally Posted by bfb
Originally Posted by Kona_V-Piano
This thread degenerated after a couple forum members thought a portion of my post was directed at them. It does seem since the V-Piano is different than the rest of the sampled pianos, it brings with it a lot of emotions, good and bad.

No, it degenerated when you made thinly veiled references to me and one or two others, then denied it with a very dismissive, arrogant retort when asked to state your case more directly.

So, who was your comment referring to?

Let's remember that the very positive and then the negative or at least shall we say qualified comments generally come from a few posters:

Me - had a V-Piano, got rid of it because I didn't like the tone (regardless of all the fiddling around that is possible).
Lawrence (MelodialWorks Music) - had a V-Piano, got rid of it for the same reasons.
Dr. Popper - Professional musician, played a V-Piano many times, hates it.
Bruce (bfb) - Got a V-Piano, not enamoured with the tone so uses it exclusively to control software now and would have got rid of it had it not cost him so much. Thinks Roland should further develop it.
Richard (pv88) - Got a V-Piano. Hears issues with the tone and is having problems with the keys but is prepared to tolerate those problems for all the good things the V does.
bennevis - Got a V-Piano, very happy with it. Had replacement keys due to wear.
Kona - Got a V-Piano, very happy with it, no issues with the piano but frustrated Roland have done diddly-squat with the concept since launch.
DazedandConfused - Plays a V regularly, likes it very much, intends to buy one at some point in the future.

Have I missed anyone with lots of personal experience of the V that very often contributes to V-Piano threads? So, Kona - who was your comment referring to?

i haven't finished going through all the detritus of this thread- its amazing how vpiano threads are like roadside IED's waiting to blow away some poor unsuspecting blogger.

But- to restate my beliefs as a member of the 2000 lb portable DP club- i am all for the vpiano if roland would act like they give a crap and let us know they haven't left the building completely. that's it. period. Kona is right- an update would send the market a signal that the original vpiano designers weren't taken out the back door and shot.

Lol@IED comment. Very well put. V-Piano designers out there, if you're listening, and not shot, let us original V-Piano early adopters know, actually give us some type of sign that you guys or girls are working on something new for us. One of the main reasons I purchased the V-Piano because I did see it as the future, and its design is upgradeable with plenty of space left for changes or improvements like the Evolution update.

Lol@dazedandconfused. smile. If anything, these V-Piano discussions that pop up about every six or so months at the very least are mixed with raw emotions and then usually end with humor.

Last edited by Kona_V-Piano; 05/15/12 04:31 PM.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission