Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1886275 - 04/25/12 12:11 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
ragtimefordrones Offline

Oh Becca I'm sorry, that is so sad. frown
And you are going with Alfred's too. I hope you keep us posted on this thread with your progress anyway.

I, on the other hand, have already started book 2 of Accelerated PA and my assignments are "MalagueƱa", "Mysterious Casbah" and "Rowing on a Stormy Sea".
I didn't really think they were all that musical at first but then I played them at their original tempos and now I see what everyone is talking about. I LOVE them and can't stop practicing! laugh

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1886352 - 04/25/12 02:22 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
I'm still going to work out of the books on my own, so your not losing me. smile I just bookmarked the last section that I need to do in book 1 of accelerated, then I can move to book 2.

Ragtime.. do you find your teacher skips you ahead a lot?

Loving what you practice is such a bonus! smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1886387 - 04/25/12 03:10 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
ragtimefordrones Offline

laugh Congrats then on almost being done with book 1! I can't say much about that one since I didn't use it but book 2 is a blast!

Well, prior to starting Piano Adventures I was dipping here and there in Alfred's AIO 1 so I did think we were skipping a lot and that is part of why I spoke to my teacher about following through method books. I wanted a planned approach in which I could see where I was going and what was expected of me (and to have some beginner literature I could refer to later on). smile

Judging from the songs I am currently working on I find starting with Accelerated PA 2 is understandable. How fast a student learns just depends on the person and doesn't really matter in my opinion. I would rather work at my own pace even if it is slow so as to not turn playing into a bore and keep me interested for a long time. Maybe that is why I am not planning on doing exams anytime soon - though I must say, RCM's and Keith Snell's repertoire selection are very appealing. wink

#1886429 - 04/25/12 04:19 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
fingerspitzngefuhl Offline

Loc: Southern Northern California
Ragtime thanks for the invite here.

I have the Adult piano adventures 1 and 2, and have only just now gotten my digital piano set up; it's set up in an office trailer I've been using for storage and I'm just getting power run out to it. So I am really starting from Square One.

#1886458 - 04/25/12 05:11 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: fingerspitzngefuhl]
ragtimefordrones Offline

Originally Posted By: fingerspitzngefuhl
I have the Adult piano adventures 1 and 2, and have only just now gotten my digital piano set up; it's set up in an office trailer I've been using for storage and I'm just getting power run out to it. So I am really starting from Square One.

ha Then your books are just the right fit!

I think you will like Faber & Faber's arrangements. They are one of the series' strong suits!

#1886613 - 04/25/12 09:56 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]

Thanks! I read a ton on here and a bit on other places, and the consensus seems to be that Piano Adventures just edges out Alfred's for learning, and that many have both.

I guess I am also free to try out the kids' Piano Adventures books too if I like. I found a few in a used book store but they were all doodled up by some kid!

#1886720 - 04/26/12 01:38 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
@fingers.....welcome to the forums! Not sure if you are interested, but there is a group of piano players in Berkely that meet at a senior center each month. The website is http://east-bay-musical-chairs.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1887060 - 04/26/12 05:51 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
KBS1607 Offline

Loc: Illinois
I finished the Alfred Adult book one but my teacher and I switched to PA (regular not adult) and I really like it.

#1887073 - 04/26/12 06:03 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
That's great, KBS1607! What level PA are you in?

#1889765 - 05/02/12 01:51 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]

I just started out a week ago or so, I'm on page 42-43. This is in the Adult Piano Adventures book 1.

It's pretty cool; I'm actually starting to read music!

#1890012 - 05/02/12 02:16 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]

Hey Ragtimefordrones. that's an interesting user name, why did you choose it?

As for mine, it serves me well. I was doing some work involving BIG thistle plants and digging up and breaking up some very old rotten pallets, and of courses those are full of large spines and rusty nails, respectively. I purposely work without gloves because bare hands allow me to feel what I'm working with better.

#1890081 - 05/02/12 05:30 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
ragtimefordrones Offline

Because I like the drone effect but most importantly because I don't think I'll ever have the soul to play ragtime.

#1890086 - 05/02/12 05:40 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]

Uh,

wut?

Does ragtime have a drone effect in it? I don't know a lot of musical fun-duh-mentals so it's a serious question. When I think of the drone effect I think of the drone strings on a sitar.

#1891896 - 05/05/12 07:31 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]

I'm wondering if I should look at some of the regular (kids') PA books. I found some in a used book store but they had a ton of doodles in them! :-)

#1892486 - 05/06/12 07:30 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
alans Offline

I was learning Faber Adult Book Two but I find it confusing and disorienting. So I went out and bought some kid's Piano Adventures Book Two A and I", going to start again from there. This will be about my millionth time starting a new method of learning the piano. I think the first book might be a little too easy but I prefer that and then gradually moving into more challenging stuff.I found trying to learn the adult books was like being jerked around in an out of control car. And I enjoy the kid's drawings.

#1892519 - 05/06/12 08:21 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
alans Offline

I am actually starting Book Two. But at the bottom of some pages it says teacher's duet and then student plays one octive higher. Does this mean I actuaaly transpose this teacher's duet? It looks more advanced then the other pieces.

#1892644 - 05/07/12 01:02 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

alans, if you have a teacher, the teacher can play the duet part while you play the regular piece. This gives a fuller sound to the music. They're more advanced than the student music, and students aren't expected to be able to play the teacher's duet.

#1892760 - 05/07/12 08:27 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoPraise Offline

Finishing up Book 1 this week, that is so exciting to me.

I have not played through all the scales and arpeggio's at the end of the book. How does everyone handle these? My teacher said that I can do them as I please, just wondering what everyone else does.

#1892794 - 05/07/12 09:21 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoPraise]
alans Offline

PianoPraise how long did you work on Book one?

#1892810 - 05/07/12 10:09 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Does everyone here have a teacher? I hope I can still move forward with this book without a teacher?

I like the music arrangement in this book, recorded a couple of simple ones. Welcome any comments and critics.

Unit 11 of Faber's Accelerated Lesson Book 2

Collections from Piano World for Adult Beginners

#1892815 - 05/07/12 10:17 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wish4 Thing, I love love love your rendition of Whirling Leaves.

You have all the notes correct on the Classical Dance. Here's a thought on expression for it -- what would it sound like if you lightened up on beat 2? Right now it sounds like you're stabbing it, and emphasizing it more than any of the other beats. I'm thinking of something almost like a sigh on beat 2 -- three ONE {sigh} three and ONE {sigh} etc.

Thank you for posting these. I enjoyed listening to them.

#1892832 - 05/07/12 10:37 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
djheinen Offline

Loc: lake charles, la
wish4thing, great recordings! You have just started book 2? How are you liking it? I have a teacher and lately we have stopped working out of the last 3 or 4 pieces in book 1. She has plans to go back, but she wanted to "push me" with some intermiate pieces she selected. I read that you were self taught. You have much stronger discipline than I! Good luck with your learning, and by the sound of it, it will go well!
david

#1892834 - 05/07/12 10:43 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Thanks, PianoStudent88! (I feel like calling you PianoTeacher now:) I really needed feedback like that, it helps me to improve my dynamics. I'll re-do the Classical Dance piece. Thanks again!

Whirling Leaves reminded me of an old piece I played long time ago, Autumn Ballad. It was way over my level back then... but now with whirling leaves, I kept thinking of autumn:)

#1892837 - 05/07/12 10:55 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: djheinen]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Thanks for the encouragement, djheinen! Hope to listen to your recordings some day!

I'm about finishing up Alfred's All-in-one Level one book. While I'm still practicing the last song, I started Faber's book (as PianoStudent88 suggested some time ago). At the beginning, I felt like a big stepback going from last songs in Alfred to Faber's accelerated lesson book 2. But I do realize that my weak spot is my dynamics, and this "stepback" is a good way to help me to leap forward in the future, hopefully:)

I'm not as disciplined as I should... I have been playing on and off... every year I started from Jan (new year resolution of course grin) and stopped for the rest of the year... I hope I will do better this year with all the encouragement and support from this forum!

I know for sure that you with a teacher will improve a lot faster than I do!

#1892868 - 05/07/12 11:39 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: alans]
PianoPraise Offline

It has taken me a little over a year. I don't know if this is a normal pace, but I was a complete beginner. I also had a hard time moving to another piece until I got the current one almost perfect.

I am happy with my progress.

#1892869 - 05/07/12 11:40 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: Wish4 Thing]
PianoPraise Offline

Originally Posted By: Wish4 Thing
Does everyone here have a teacher? I hope I can still move forward with this book without a teacher?

I like the music arrangement in this book, recorded a couple of simple ones. Welcome any comments and critics.

I do have a teacher, I need the accountability when things get tough

#1893185 - 05/07/12 09:56 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
alans Offline

Is anyone on piano adventures book 4? I just saw a wonderful clip on YouTube of kids playing one of nancy's songs called Chanson. It is so beautiful and sweet. I can't wait to get there.

#1893186 - 05/07/12 09:59 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
alans Offline

PianoPraise one year on Book One is commendable. I think you must have put a lot of hard work into it if you were a complete beginner before.

#1893232 - 05/07/12 11:32 PM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Hiya Alans. I'm working in book 1 accelerated adventures. I think the level doesn't really matter (kids, accelerated, adult) as they are all good.

Wish: I started out with no teacher and used Faber to teach myself the basics, then I got a teacher, now I'm not sure if I have one or not so I might be going back to self teaching again! LOL (yeah that's complicated.) I haven't had a teacher for long (maybe 5 lessons total) but I didn't notice any great leaps in learning. Still the same plodding along but the teacher was able to show me tricks to getting through some tough hang ups. YMMV

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1893250 - 05/08/12 12:21 AM Re: Faber and Faber Piano Adventures all levels [Re: PianoStudent88]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Thanks, Becca and PianoPraise.

Becca, I always believed I can learn everything by myself...:) until I saw my friend's kid making huge leap because of changing to a new teacher... now I'm convinced a good teacher can help a great deal... However, since my job is very demanding and I travel a lot too, I didn't feel like adding more stress by having to go to lessons regularly, especially on weekends.

I did went to one performance class with my friend's kid, it lasted several hours, that's the only long hour class I can sit through:) and I felt I learned alot from that one class!

Another impression I got is that, Faber's books are preferred by teachers?

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, Banzai_Ed, Almaviva, ajames, 42 invisible), 1417 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156821 Topics
2304264 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with a piano purchase
by Freece65
08/20/14 09:55 PM
Just Tuned a Kawai 5'10" Grand Piano KG-2E
by Paul678
08/20/14 09:51 PM
Yamaha NU1 or Roland HP508
by francis0423
08/20/14 09:12 PM
How Much Can I Sell My Kawai KG-3C?
by barryman9000
08/20/14 07:38 PM
Chord changes to 'Sixty Years On'
by Visalia
08/20/14 06:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission