Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1888226 - 04/29/12 05:53 AM are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality?
onesurfer1 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
are the most expensive (somewhat handbuilt) pianos, (high end) pianos...i.e. bechstein, grotrian, bosendorfer, sauter, steinway, mason/hamlin, etc... are they all equal in build quality. will they all last for a 100 years?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1888310 - 04/29/12 10:47 AM Re: are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality? [Re: onesurfer1]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
That's like asking "are all high-end luxury automobiles equal in build quality and will they last for X amount of years"?

How in the heck are you going to define "equal in build quality"?

You can have endless debates on people's personal opinion on quality.

And all pianos will "last: for 100 years it's just that various things will have to be done to ALL of them to keep them at a certain playing and performance level.

But generally you get what you pay for and expensive pianos are going to be of a much better build quality than cheap Chinese knock-offs.

Edited by Sparky McBiff (04/29/12 10:49 AM)

#1888399 - 04/29/12 01:54 PM Re: are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality? [Re: onesurfer1]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Oddly, couple of brands you listed are not considered 'high end' pianos.

#1888413 - 04/29/12 02:10 PM Re: are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality? [Re: Dave B]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Dave B
Oddly, couple of brands you listed are not considered 'high end' pianos.

I know I have that old Nomex suit around here somewhere...

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1893070 - 05/07/12 05:38 PM Re: are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality? [Re: Dave B]
onesurfer1 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
which ones aren't high end and whY? aren't they all top tier pianos?

#1893321 - 05/08/12 05:19 AM Re: are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality? [Re: onesurfer1]
offnote Offline

Loc: Banned
isn't it that grand pianos are mostly hand made so qualiy may vary significantly even whithin same maker?

#1893380 - 05/08/12 08:49 AM Re: are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality? [Re: offnote]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: offnote
isn't it that grand pianos are mostly hand made so qualiy may vary significantly even whithin same maker?

Dear offnote,

One particular high end maker has one factory that has gained a well earned reputation for inconsistency in touch and tone in their instruments from piano to piano. A sales presentation sprung up around this fact that "since they are handmade, they all have their own personality". There are some who are under the impression that there is truth to this. There is not.

High end piano making and precision usually go together - and they certainly should. I am not saying that an action cannot be adjusted to be personalized to your liking or that a high end piano cannot be adjusted in it's voicing.

I am saying that the different makers traditionally have a signature touch and tone.

Interestingly, a good number of the European makers have done more redesign work in the past decade or so than in their entire history. For some, this means that their signature differences have been tempered and that is a shame.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents,

Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#1893389 - 05/08/12 09:04 AM Re: are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality? [Re: onesurfer1]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Although it might be somewhat over-simplified, I'd say that the current build quality of the top tier pianos are "competitive".

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1893426 - 05/08/12 09:54 AM Re: are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality? [Re: Rich Galassini]
offnote Offline

Originally Posted By: Rich Galassini
Originally Posted By: offnote

Dear offnote,

One particular high end maker has one factory that has gained a well earned reputation for inconsistency in touch and tone in their instruments from piano to piano. A sales presentation sprung up around this fact that "since they are handmade, they all have their own personality". There are some who are under the impression that there is truth to this. There is not.

so are you saying grand pianos have no soul anymore?

#1893433 - 05/08/12 10:08 AM Re: are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality? [Re: onesurfer1]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
The soul is not in the piano, the soul comes from the player.

#1893470 - 05/08/12 11:36 AM Re: are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality? [Re: Plowboy]
offnote Offline

Originally Posted By: Plowboy
The soul is not in the piano, the soul comes from the player.

even if a player is infidel? laugh

p.s.
cannot agree with that, played many pianos and each sounded uniquly.

#1895742 - 05/12/12 12:42 PM Re: are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality? [Re: onesurfer1]
Enrico Offline

Loc: NJ
Much of the differences in High End pianos comes from the voicing at the end of the line. Most of the BIG INCONSISTENCIES are not so much the piano design or build, but the fine tuning at the end of the line. the idea of the uber high end piano is: Lots of wood wasted, lots of time taken in order to create the best piano possible, each and every time. That is why the prices are many many times that of an entry level piano. I think it is more likely to see a gem of a piano surprise you from a lower end piano, because the materials happen to be better than the piano next to it. Every Seiler I see out of the box is as good as the last. Every Bechstein out of the box was as good as the last. I have also sold new Bluthner, Schimmel and Sauter, I haven't seen a bad one in the bunch. They really can't afford to.
732-777-7381

#1895845 - 05/12/12 04:59 PM Re: are all high-end pianos equal in build-quality? [Re: onesurfer1]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Originally Posted By: onesurfer1
which ones aren't high end and whY? aren't they all top tier pianos?

The pianos you listed are ALL wonderful instruments. The variances at this level are small and really boil down to personal likes and preferences. For example, you listed Bechstein and Mason & Hamlin. IMHO, a pianist who liked the sound of one, would probably not like the sound of the other, yet in technical specifications they have an equal build quality.

In my 40 years of doing this, we have been lucky to carry several top instruments - all on the floor at the same time. Each of these manufacturers has a different approach to sound and I am careful to only represent one manufacturer of the various tone palates at a time. For example, I think one could argue that Fazioli, Steingraeber and Hamburg Steinway all have a similar tone palate and approach to sound and performance. We chose represent Steingraeber. In the products we choose to represent, there are other similar comparisons. Yet, they all have marvelous craftsmanship and impeccable credentials.

Curiously, two of the least mentioned names are two of my personal favorites: Sauter and Grotrian. For years, I argued with Larry about their listing in a slightly lower category (1B vs. 1A in earlier versions) and his reply was more about brand name sizzle rather than anything structural. Thankfully, Larry has come to my way of thinking help

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: Steingraeber•Grotrian•Sauter•Estonia•Kayserburg•Baldwin•Brodmann•Ritmüller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
2 minutes 59 seconds ago
recording digital piano
by johan d
Today at 03:38 AM
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Who's Online
59 registered (anotherscott, barbaram, AZNpiano, 19 invisible), 1107 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158408 Topics
2326272 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission