Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1893589 - 05/08/12 03:36 PM b and # signs in scores and in chords
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Something was brought up to me by a couple students, so I am bringing it up.

1) In reading scores, b and # marks mean to "adjust" letters, white keys on the piano, to the left or right.

2) In chord symbols (and in other things) b and # means to lower or raise a DEGREE of a SCALE.

The second idea is quite different from the first.

C#7(b9) means to take the 9, D#, and lower it to D.

C7(b9) means to take the 9, D, and lower it to Db.

C#7(b9) means to take the 9, D#, and lower it to D.

Cb7(b9) means to take the 9, Db, and lower it to Dbb.

Since I teach these concepts only AFTER reading is as solid as a rock, it has never been a problem. But now see that a very intelligent student who INTELLECTUALLY knows what b and # do in notation could get horribly tangled-up.

Obviously the same problem is there for #, since #9 (for example) could be natural, a sharp, or a double sharp.

While writing this I realize, for the first time, why I prefer - and + to b and # for chords.

Thoughts?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1893597 - 05/08/12 03:57 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: Gary D.]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Gary, I think what bothers me is the tendency to use "flat" and "sharp" as verbs meaning to lower and raise a note. For me most of the time the "b" symbol as in "Bb" identifies a particular note which I can hear and find on the piano. At another time I might see "A#" which also identifies that same sound and piano key, but perversely that is not a problem. Maybe it's the same as the guy next door being Bob and Jack's father but it doesn't confuse us.

When people talk about "flatting" a note, then they are lowering that note. That is not the same thing as the note being what it is. Of course you can see our Bb that way too. We learn where B is, and then we learn that Bb is a half step below. I think that as we become experienced we toggle between the two worlds, as we need to.

However, what happened to me at some point is that people would say "To change a G major chord to G minor, "flat" the B, rather than "lower" the B. After a while I started associating the word "flat" and the symbol .. um... by association. Then when somebody said "G minor" sometimes I found myself playing Gb major because these associations got jumbled in my mind.

This may be me since letter names for chords are relatively new for me, and even note names are only a few years old, and I am also somewhat left-right visually dyslexic. What I did realize, though, is that "flat" and "sharp" can be a specific location - an absolute name for something I hear and see as "Bb" - and it can describe a movement. I prefer to have a different name for the movement. I also decided that for myself I prefer the "-" symbol for chord names.

(addendum: I was responding to the original form of the post which referred to my post in the other thread.)

Edited by keystring (05/08/12 04:00 PM)

#1893625 - 05/08/12 04:58 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: Gary D.]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
The problem with using - & + for lowering and raising is that it will cause confusion. The + sign immediately after a letter has long been accepted to mean aug5th. So would you read C+7 as Caug(7) or as C(#7)? The - sign is often used instead of m after the letter to indicate a minor chord. So would C-9 be Cm(9) or C(b9)?

#1893633 - 05/08/12 05:15 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: Gary D.]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
This is a problem that I have with much of jazz (and rock) notation. There are no definitive ways of naming a chord, so you have to be able to interpret several different symbols. Unfortunately, no one can agree on which system is best, so a bunch of them are floating out there.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1893642 - 05/08/12 05:26 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: Gary D.]
PianoStudent88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Studio Joe, I thought I remembered that + and - were sometimes used for aug and dim, when this came up on the other thread about using + and - for # and b. Thank you for confirming that!

#1893655 - 05/08/12 05:36 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: keystring]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keystring
Gary, I think what bothers me is the tendency to use "flat" and "sharp" as verbs meaning to lower and raise a note. For me most of the time the "b" symbol as in "Bb" identifies a particular note which I can hear and find on the piano. At another time I might see "A#" which also identifies that same sound and piano key, but perversely that is not a problem. Maybe it's the same as the guy next door being Bob and Jack's father but it doesn't confuse us.

That was not a potential problem I had in mind, but if I check with students, I will probably find out that other people are thinking the same thing.
Quote:

When people talk about "flatting" a note, then they are lowering that note. That is not the same thing as the note being what it is. Of course you can see our Bb that way too. We learn where B is, and then we learn that Bb is a half step below. I think that as we become experienced we toggle between the two worlds, as we need to.

That is a tricky point. When I SEE symbols, I process them one way. When I HEAR those symbols, I process them differently. b and # become more complicated when I hear the words for them.

If you say to me, Cb Eb Gb, I have to process all that and put it together. When I read a chord with those notes, it is just a "thing". "Flat 9 chord" is a "thing" to me, so I am only waiting for the root. When I see Cb(b9), in writing, it is also a "thing". I see W B B W W, W=white, B=black. Most people would probably write down: B D# F# A C, if they heard the chord in isolation and were asked to notate it. But if I hear someone say "Cb7(b9)", it will take quite a long time to process that. It causes a brain-freeze.

For me hearing "names" interfere with what I see and what I hear. Or they are superfluous and actually cause a glitch. The names come to me way SLOWER than the the things they represent.
Quote:

However, what happened to me at some point is that people would say "To change a G major chord to G minor, "flat" the B, rather than "lower" the B. After a while I started associating the word "flat" and the symbol .. um... by association. Then when somebody said "G minor" sometimes I found myself playing Gb major because these associations got jumbled in my mind.

That is a problem I have not yet run into, that I KNOW of...
Quote:

This may be me since letter names for chords are relatively new for me, and even note names are only a few years old, and I am also somewhat left-right visually dyslexic. What I did realize, though, is that "flat" and "sharp" can be a specific location - an absolute name for something I hear and see as "Bb" - and it can describe a movement. I prefer to have a different name for the movement. I also decided that for myself I prefer the "-" symbol for chord names.

The "newness" may be causing you to go through stages that I went through long ago and no longer remember. There was a time, decades ago, when I had to stop and process G7 vs Gmaj7. I knew V7 but the letters were new to me. Maj triggered a response to the triad itself, and I reached for G7. Gmaj7 was not a "thing" yet.

Something similar happened with x (double sharp) and bb. Also with E#, B#...

I KNOW that at first I had tell myself, when I saw E#, don't play the white note on the left but the one on the right (what we usually call F).
Quote:

(addendum: I was responding to the original form of the post which referred to my post in the other thread.)

I understand. I didn't want to take you out of this; I wanted to make sure it addressed more people, because what we are talking about could be important to quite a few students. smile

Edited by Gary D. (05/08/12 05:43 PM)

#1893665 - 05/08/12 05:49 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: Gary D.]
PianoStudent88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think it doesn't bother me because to me # means "move a half-step higher" and b means "move a half-step lower." So F# is a half-step higher than F, Fb is a half-step lower than F, etc.

To me it's exactly the same thing with numbers as with letters. In E7(b9), the b9 means "move 9 a half-step lower". Since 9 for E is F#, then moving it a half-step lower makes F. Or in E7(#9), it means move 9 a half-step higher: from F# to Fx. No confusion for me.

ETA: since # and b mean the same thing for me in the realm of numbers as in letters, it means that the +/- notation is actually a slight extra burden: a new notation to learn, for a concept that for me already has a well-understood notation: # and b.

Edited by PianoStudent88 (05/08/12 05:52 PM)

#1893682 - 05/08/12 06:10 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: Studio Joe]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Studio Joe
The problem with using - & + for lowering and raising is that it will cause confusion. The + sign immediately after a letter has long been accepted to mean aug5th. So would you read C+7 as Caug(7) or as C(#7)?

You are right.

C+7, for me, means Caug7, ALWAYS, and when I am notating for others, I use the second, for clarity.
Quote:

The - sign is often used instead of m after the letter to indicate a minor chord. So would C-9 be Cm(9) or C(b9)?

I think I mentioned that somewhere else.

C-9 would be ambiguous. My first instinct, seeing it written in a lead sheet, would be Cm9.

So for C "flat 9", using the minus:

C7-9.

Rethinking it, I supposed C7b9 is equally fast and clearer.

If I see Bb-9, by itself, in a lead sheet, I would read Bbm9.

However, NOW there is a spacing difference here: Bb7(b9) vs Bb7-9. I would use the second because it cuts off 2 key strokes...

#1893683 - 05/08/12 06:17 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: PianoStudent88]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
I think it doesn't bother me because to me # means "move a half-step higher" and b means "move a half-step lower." So F# is a half-step higher than F, Fb is a half-step lower than F, etc.

To me it's exactly the same thing with numbers as with letters. In E7(b9), the b9 means "move 9 a half-step lower". Since 9 for E is F#, then moving it a half-step lower makes F. Or in E7(#9), it means move 9 a half-step higher: from F# to Fx. No confusion for me.

ETA: since # and b mean the same thing for me in the realm of numbers as in letters, it means that the +/- notation is actually a slight extra burden: a new notation to learn, for a concept that for me already has a well-understood notation: # and b.

I process it the same way, but Studio Joe brought up some important points.

At any moment -/+ may work in place of b/#, then the next moment they don't.

As I just mentioned, Bb7b9 is harder for me to read than Bb7-9. For the first I THINK I would need Bb7(b9), and I'm not sure why.

In the end there are many different ways of notating the same chords, and I THINK that those of us who have read a lot of lead sheets know by instinct which forms are common, and which are not.

#1893687 - 05/08/12 06:18 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: Gary D.]
PianoStudent88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

[cross-posted! never mind!]

Why do you need the parentheses? Can you write Cb7b9 instead of Cb7(b9)?

Edited by PianoStudent88 (05/08/12 06:20 PM)

#1893694 - 05/08/12 06:23 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: PianoStudent88]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Yes, you can. It depends on which is clearer to your eyes...

#1894164 - 05/09/12 01:09 PM b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: PianoStudent88]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Doctor Detail checking in . . .

Studio Joe, I thought I remembered that + and - were sometimes used for aug and dim, when this came up on the other thread about using + and - for # and b. Thank you for confirming that!

PianoStudent88,

First of all, never pick a 14 character moniker! By the time I am done typing it, I have forgotten what I was going to write.

Secondly, I believe you know differently from that which you wrote above, but just in case:

The plus sign (+) COULD signify raising a certain pitch by one-half step, but typically indicates an augmented chord (whose 5th has been raised in pitch by a half step.)

On the other hand, the minus sign (-) COULD signify lowering a certain pitch by one-half step, but typically indicates a MINOR chord (with its characteristic minor third.) I can think of no instance where one would use a minus sign to indicate a diminished chord.

------------------

And to all - I am a big proponent of using parenthesis to add clarity. I believe that IF it can be misinterpreted, it WILL be.

#1894168 - 05/09/12 01:14 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: Gary D.]
PianoStudent88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

OK, just colour me confused, then.

/s/
PS88 (only four characters)

#1894181 - 05/09/12 01:26 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: PianoStudent88]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
OK, just colour me confused, then.

CONFUSING! Do not feel alone! That is precisely what much of this on-going discussion is about. We have well established, exact ways of constructing and spelling these more advanced chords, but not a consistent way of calling them out. Our nomenclature is not up to the task, and it is further complicated by various methods of "common usage."

Your thinking is perfectly logical: A (+) immediately after a chord letter raises that chord's 5th by one-half step. Therefore, a (-) immediately after a chord letter SHOULD lower that chord's 5th by one-half step -- perfectly logical, AND contrary to common usage.

Edited by LoPresti (05/09/12 01:40 PM)

#1894199 - 05/09/12 01:54 PM Re: b and # signs in scores and in chords [Re: LoPresti]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: LoPresti
Doctor Detail checking in . . .

Dear DD,

I suggest PS88, which apparently has already been given the OK. smile
Quote:

The plus sign (+) COULD signify raising a certain pitch by one-half step, but typically indicates an augmented chord (whose 5th has been raised in pitch by a half step.)

I agree. Everything about this kind of notation is blend of conciseness and clarity.

C+ and C+7 work great for me.
I prefer Cm to C- (since no time is saved), but certainly C-7 is used and is clear.

With chords that add to 7, such as C7, C7+9 would work for me (obviosly not meaning augmented), but C7#9 is clearer.

I'm not always sure what I prefer until I run into it. If it causes me to hesitate, I rewrite it.
Quote:

On the other hand, the minus sign (-) COULD signify lowering a certain pitch by one-half step, but typically indicates a MINOR chord (with its characteristic minor third.) I can think of no instance where one would use a minus sign to indicate a diminished chord.

I use the minus sign in these:

C7-9, C7-5. But I would not use C-7-5. Based on this logic C7b9 and C7b5 is probably clearer, generally.

I also can't imagine a dim or dim7 chord with a minus.
Quote:

And to all - I am a big proponent of using parenthesis to add clarity. I believe that IF it can be misinterpreted, it WILL be.

I agree with that. However, there is also the matter of spacing between chords, and the exta characters, when typing, sometimes causes my chords to ram into each other. I am then forced to use a smaller font, so there is a trade-off. But definitely, if there is doubt, use parentheses. smile

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (Al LaPorte, accordeur, Almaviva, 36251, 44 invisible), 1674 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153605 Topics
2251266 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just can't get my head around temperament!
by LarryShone
17 minutes 10 seconds ago
clavinova clp 115
by rochoula
21 minutes 53 seconds ago
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
Today at 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission