Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1893664 - 05/08/12 05:49 PM My first grand finally in it's new home
OG Ryder Offline

Loc: San Diego
After the first mover told me the move was "impossible" and ditched the piano in the garage which broke my heart, I found some movers that didn't even flinch at the job. It took two main guys and one helper only 20 minutes to move and they barely broke a sweat. Sure, these guys weren't wearing any uniforms but they sure knew how to move a piano down 22 narrow natural stone stairs! Still a hair raising experience to watch!

So no Bosendorfer here folks, just a nice 1994 Weber 5'7 that I got from the original owner who was moving back up north and had to let it go. I got it for an awesome deal and have some money left over for a nice voicing and tuning. It's beautiful and I'm quite overwhelmed right now coming from a yamaha digital. Yesterday was a great day smile

Attachments
IMG_1419.JPG (42 downloads)
IMG_1421.JPG (14 downloads)
IMG_1426.JPG (8 downloads)
IMG_1430.JPG (6 downloads)
IMG_1434.JPG (7 downloads)
IMG_1445.JPG (16 downloads)

Edited by OG Ryder (05/08/12 06:00 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1893674 - 05/08/12 06:00 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
The piano looks great in its final location!

Oh to be young and have a great back for lifting. smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1893685 - 05/08/12 06:18 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Using your fire place is definitely out of the question!!!!

Congrats

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1893691 - 05/08/12 06:20 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: Rod Verhnjak]
OG Ryder Offline

Originally Posted By: Rod Verhnjak
Using your fire place is definitely out of the question!!!!

Congrats

Yeah, it's not a functional fireplace at the moment. It would be expensive firewood nonetheless!

#1893704 - 05/08/12 06:48 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Julien McCann Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Nice setup! (nice garden too) And congrats for switching to acoustic; great feeling it must be.
Have you looked into getting a cover for that beauty?..sunlight seems to be aiming straight at it and quite abundantly..
Cheers and enjoy

Supply Chain Manager in the hydraulic field
Beginner piano tech and pianist

#1893730 - 05/08/12 07:38 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Wow, congratulations!

A fine looking instrument, and a nice home!

Rick

#1893743 - 05/08/12 08:01 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Scott McBain Offline

Loc: San Jose / Fremont / Bay Area
I sure hope you tipped the movers the way they tipped your piano...lots.

Nice and congratulations!
Seiler-Shigeru-Kawai-Wilh.Steinberg, Charles R. Walter
Pre-owned Too!
www.carnespianostore.com
1-408-248-9200

#1893749 - 05/08/12 08:12 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
DougMorgan Offline

Loc: Kelowna BC, Canada
Congratulations!

We also decommissioned a fireplace to upgrade from a digital to a "real" piano and would do the trade again in a second.

We went with an upright -- to go to a grand we'd have to ditch the dining room table. TV trays are cheap though......

Doug

Edited by DougMorgan (05/08/12 08:13 PM)

#1893774 - 05/08/12 08:54 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Daniel1402 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Congratulations! Very nice piano and great movers!

Daniel

#1893804 - 05/08/12 09:53 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Mozartscat Offline

Congratulations! Hope the two of you are very happy!

#1893813 - 05/08/12 10:09 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
I paid $450 about 6 weeks ago to have professional movers use a motorized piano dolly slowly creep in my 7'3" grand. They put boards down on my ceramic tiles to protect them before the piano reached the carpeted living room. Looking back on the move, I think it was worth every cent. Three guys and several hours moving it carefully with tools and a moving jack to tilt it into place. I know how you feel about your new acquisition. Every evening when I come home from work, I smile!

#1893815 - 05/08/12 10:10 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Greg88 Offline

Loc: Ludlow, Kentucky
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Congratulations on that fantastic new piano. You must very proud and thrilled to have it. Thank you for the awesome pictures as well. That piano will make you so happy for the rest of your life. If you want to use the fireplace you can always buy one of the new electric inserts (they look very authentic, especially compared to the "electric logs" of days gone by) and run them without the heat or direct the heat away from the piano (I bought an electric insert for my fireplace and rarely turn the heat on, just pretty flames). Anyway, the piano looks fantastic. Thank you for sharing with us and congratulations again!
It's spectacular!

#1893824 - 05/08/12 10:25 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
I'm so glad you were able to find someone capable of getting that piano down the steps. It looks great...hope you're enjoying it.

#1893830 - 05/08/12 10:55 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
cmbaj Offline

Congrats, it must feel good to achiev such goal!

#1893858 - 05/09/12 12:00 AM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
MrMagic Offline

Loc: Stettler AB Canada
Congratulations! Those pictures make my back hurt tho!
Roland KR577
Roland VK-8M Tonewheel organ module
GigaStudio GS3 Ensemble (Bosendorfer & Estonia piano samples)
Roland E20, JV30 (retired)
An old concertina which I can't play

#1893877 - 05/09/12 12:43 AM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Congrats to you! And congrats to the movers!

#1894043 - 05/09/12 09:49 AM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
YEAH!

Last pics didn't show probably because there is a limit to how many pics for one post.

Just add another post for them!

I bet you are enjoying your new to you piano!

#1894054 - 05/09/12 10:08 AM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Olly Wedgwood Offline

Loc: UK - London
Beautiful! Am deeply jealous smile

#1894087 - 05/09/12 11:04 AM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congratulations from a fellow Weber owner. Enjoy.

#1894171 - 05/09/12 01:20 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
OG Ryder Offline

Thank you everyone for your nice comments and support, I feel very welcome here! I can't praise these movers enough, they really knew how to negotiate a tricky job like this. And I tipped them very well for their work (and so they'll come back if I move out haha)

I have to say, it's an amazing feeling playing an instrument like this. I never knew the power, feeling, and potential a machine like this has. Hitting the right chord will literally blow you away (in a good way). Wow.

It needs a good cleaning on the board and under the strings but it's expected. Brass needs a bit of polishing and cleaning but that is always rewarding to do because I like shiny things. Unfortunately, the first failed mover managed to bend and throw off the sustain pedal mechanism. The dowel was off and L bracket was bent and pedal is now tight and squeaking. I'll get this fixed though.

I have some friends coming over tonight so they can put a good fantasie impromptu and Ballade 1 into her smile

Edited by OG Ryder (05/09/12 01:22 PM)

#1894180 - 05/09/12 01:25 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
OG Ryder Offline

Honestly, I wasn't looking for an asian piano to start with. I was looking for 1930's Knabe and Chickerings because of my friend's good experiences with them. However I am a beginner and time and availability was a big factor for me. I was blown away when I played the Weber, so I went for it!

#1894182 - 05/09/12 01:29 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
lyricmudra Offline

I love a piano story like this that ends so well. That pathway up is SO narrow! I am sure you were quite worried. Congratulations, OG Ryder! Do post a recording when you get the chance.

#1894320 - 05/09/12 06:00 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Congratulations!!!!

Looks like a difficult and sweat inducing move - GREAT MOVERS. Lucky you don't live in Arizona or the mover's might have had the INS to contend with whistle

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: Steingraeber•Grotrian•Sauter•Estonia•Kayserburg•Baldwin•Brodmann•Ritmüller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#1894371 - 05/09/12 07:43 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Mike86 Offline

Those are some strong dudes. I hope you tipped them well.

Mike

#1894885 - 05/10/12 04:46 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I can imagine the mover said it's impossible! And what are they using that wheels for, a kind of sled would seem more in place?

#1894981 - 05/10/12 07:10 PM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Sam Rose Online   happy
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: OG Ryder

I have some friends coming over tonight so they can put a good fantasie impromptu and Ballade 1 into her smile

LOVE both of those. Wish I could be there to hear it!! Your piano looks beautiful. I hope enjoy many happy years with it smile
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#1895266 - 05/11/12 09:45 AM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
wcpianomovers Offline

Loc: North San Diego County, Ca
Hey, i recognized these guys! I'm glad we were able to get the piano down their. And anyone else who needs a piano moved feel free to look at my profile.

#1895599 - 05/12/12 03:26 AM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
They always seem to look so beautiful, I must get one some day.

Here's an idea, custom fit a bookcase for your music in the fireplace box. Shelving/board across the top, bottom and sides (and back depending on how deep you need or want it to be) and shelves at required heights. If done well it won't look kitsch.

#1895711 - 05/12/12 10:51 AM Re: My first grand finally in it's new home [Re: OG Ryder]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Congratulations on your new grand piano! Looks beautiful! Nothing beats having professional piano movers do the tough work and handle your new prized piano with care. I hope you enjoy it for many years.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (AndrewJCW, angga888, a-z0-9, ando, 18 invisible), 1259 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293084 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission